Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Thom12255 posted:

They're going to turn Corbyn into Camerons 'under the last Labour Government' line.

You say that like they haven't already.

E: 69 is the sex number. Nice.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Noxville posted:

There’s dark comedy in how his replies are full of accusations of antisemitism from the same people he and the rest of the Labour right happily directed at Corbyn

Anyone Israel supporter who can watch that video and not feel a deep sense of shame has something massively wrong with them, I’m surprised at Streeting actually flagging it up

I can't actually tell from the video what is happening. Just some happy Dudes bouncing up and down, while something on the other side of the wall burns.

I can take a guess though.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The Perfect Element posted:

I can't actually tell from the video what is happening. Just some happy Dudes bouncing up and down, while something on the other side of the wall burns.

I can take a guess though.

They're also singing about how much they hate the Palestinians, if that helps clarify.

Yesterday was Jerusalem Day in Israel which always brings out the nationalist fash there.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/nyt_diff/status/1391786657536483330

:allears:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Is there a similar bot for the Guardian? I'm sure it would show some equally disgraceful bootlicking

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/jonie1303/status/1392004064750280705

Bercow really did have one of the top 10 anime character arcs

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Honestly surprised by those tweets from Starmer and Streeting. It would have been a lot politically easier to just not make them.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

winegums posted:

https://twitter.com/jonie1303/status/1392004064750280705

Bercow really did have one of the top 10 anime character arcs

lmao, she got really flustered when he said that

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Julio Cruz posted:

let's not pretend pissflaps was a net positive even before he became one of the biggest transphobes on twitter

He has two kids and spent Christmas day harassing transwomen on twitter then he got banned. Lol.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/AndyBurnhamGM/status/1392021530553561088
Whatever you think of Burnham, whoever he has doing his messaging deserves a raise. This is good. Combines him going out 'meeting the people' with clear explanation of why his plan to control public transport is good (reducing fairs, linking up busses/trams) and a clear goal combined with a repudiation of the Tories 'levelling up' line (Manchester won't be levelled up until bus travel is the same price as in London).

The only annoying part is that it shows how easy it is to combine decent policies with a veneer of competence and traditional politicking, and the popularity that will result.

Especially the line about a fiver being "a lot of money". Nobody believes it is for Burnham, but it is for a lot of people and showing he understands that is a powerful antithesis to Johnson's "spaffing" of public money. People don't expect politicians to know the price of bread but they appreciate it when they do.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

DrWrestling69 posted:

He has two kids and spent Christmas day harassing transwomen on twitter then he got banned. Lol.

God that's just really sad. What is it about the existence trans people that breaks peoples brains so severely?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of people have their identities built around truly pathetic and contemptible things and absolutely cannot handle the concept that people might have better ones.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

God that's just really sad. What is it about the existence trans people that breaks peoples brains so severely?

I think Linehan had a traumatic experience with cancer, resulting in the online calamity that has since befallen his professional and personal lives

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of people have their identities built around truly pathetic and contemptible things and absolutely cannot handle the concept that people might have better ones.

You don't need to post about me like I'm not here!

But yeah, it's just sad for the kids. I can't understand anyone being so committed to being an arse to people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

For too many straight men, it's all about the idea that they have the absolute right to know who is 'really a woman' or not, to ensure that they are not secretly a gay.

That's why their brains seem to slide all over the place whenever someone starts talking about intersex kids and the problematic way in which gender is assigned at birth, because it's not actually about anyone's internal identity other than their own sexual one as a not-gay.

For radfems there's a whole different type of gender badness going on, but they are also end up in roughly the same set of responses.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

For radfems there's a whole different type of gender badness going on, but they are also end up in roughly the same set of responses.
A lot of what gay TERFs in particular come out with suggests that it's pretty much the exact same badness but from the opposite direction

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/aronkeller/status/1392039790162350080?s=21

How this guy manages to keep as cool as he did is beyond me, god I hate our media

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I have been mistaken for a woman from behind on more than one occasion because I have long hair, twice by waitresses and once by some random guy in the street who I assume was ready to start chatting me up. I'm waiting for the time when the latter happens but they become incandescent with rage because they were, for a moment, accidentally gay

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

they were, for a moment, accidentally gay

-Me, looking at Edinson Cavani

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1392053551237636097

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Convex posted:

I think Linehan had a traumatic experience with cancer, resulting in the online calamity that has since befallen his professional and personal lives

Who was that lesbian activist that died recently that JK Rowling famously retweeted or something?

A friend of mine ended up in a youtube algorithm spiral that drags you between cancer struggles and TERF content endlessly due to watching a video by that lady. I wonder if that is what happened to Linehan.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jesus :stare:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This constant obsession with "do you condemn" this or that is utterly pathetic. What possible interest could I have in watching people go on TV and say they condemn this or that, utterly meaningless. Bunch of literaly virtue signalling horseshit.

That there is presumably a horde of people who tune in solely to clap along with politicians saying how bad stuff is, loving dora the explorer poo poo.

Never mind stuff that actually happened what we really care about is the loving boomer version of youtube reaction videos.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 11, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Clap if you condemn the German and Soviet annexation of Tinky Winky Land.
Clap if you condemn the German and Soviet annexation of Dipsy Land.
Clap if you condemn the German and Soviet annexation of La La Land.
Etc.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

This constant obsession with "do you condemn" this or that is utterly pathetic. What possible interest could I have in watching people go on TV and say they condemn this or that, utterly meaningless. Bunch of literaly virtue signalling horseshit.

That there is presumably a horde of people who tune in solely to clap along with politicians saying how bad stuff is, loving dora the explorer poo poo.

Never mind stuff that actually happened what we really care about is the loving boomer version of youtube reaction videos.

The part that really made my blood boil is after spending half the interview trying to get him to condemn hamas with him pushing back asking to first talk about the Israeli actions that provoked hamas, she’s like “let’s switch to something you DO want to debate”, as if apartheid and ethnic cleansing are dinner party discussion to him as much as they clearly are to her

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

Who was that lesbian activist that died recently that JK Rowling famously retweeted or something?

A friend of mine ended up in a youtube algorithm spiral that drags you between cancer struggles and TERF content endlessly due to watching a video by that lady. I wonder if that is what happened to Linehan.

I think it has to be something encountered when one is particularly emotionally vulnerable that somehow breaks the brain to endlessly catastrophise about a vast transexual child abuse conspiracy 24/7, regardless of the damage done to themselves and everyone else

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I condemn all human activity as tainted by sin. All are punish'd

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

Didn't know the pope posted here.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Just got this email from kieth. Seems to be leaning into change:

Since I became leader of the Labour Party I have been overwhelmed watching the incredible work many of our volunteers do for our party. It’s amazing to see everyone come together to play their part, and this has never been more clear than in my first election campaign as leader.

Thank you.

I especially want to reach out to our Labour candidates and thank you all personally for the work you have put in.

I want to congratulate everyone who played a part in successful campaigns for election and re-election, as well as acknowledging the defeats many of us have faced in the last week, and the disappointment that you may feel about some of the results. No matter the result - your work is deeply appreciated. The work we do speaking to voters is always important.

The Labour Party must be the party that embraces the demand for change across our country.

That will require bold ideas and a relentless focus on the priorities of the British people from everyone in our movement. Just as the pandemic has changed what is possible and what is necessary, so Labour must change too.

Over the weekend we have seen fantastic results for Labour Metro Mayors, as well as the Labour government in Wales under Mark Drakeford. They have shown the difference we can make in power, standing up for their communities. We’re starting to turn around our fortunes in Scotland under the leadership of Anas Sarwar.

These results give us optimism and inspiration for the future of our party. The challenge for us now is to build upon these successes and learn from the places we lost, moving forward together.

I look forward to working with you all to take on that challenge, deliver that change and build the ambitious programme that will deliver the next Labour government.

Thank you again,

Keir Starmer
Leader of the Labour Party

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I have been mistaken for a woman from behind on more than one occasion because I have long hair, twice by waitresses and once by some random guy in the street who I assume was ready to start chatting me up. I'm waiting for the time when the latter happens but they become incandescent with rage because they were, for a moment, accidentally gay

I had that happen a bunch to me when I was young, before I had a beard, from the front. 'Hello ladies' to my wife and I in a shop for instance. It was funny watching the shop assistants get embarrassed :shobon:

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

For many people traditional gender identities (for want of a better term) is a significant component of their self-identity. It's not just a reflection of who they are currently but of who they were; how many people have made major life decisions or processed significant life events based on this is what a man/woman/father/mother would or should do. Unpicking those notions as less than concrete undermines that, it's not even a sexual thing per se it's much more foundational than that.

It's why their arguments coalesce around external 'threats' like bathrooms. It doesn't matter that mixed gender bathrooms can neatly solve the problem in one. It doesn't matter that none of them have actually stopped using restaurant bathrooms or changing rooms as you might if you genuinely identified a danger to yourself. It's just a way to consciously or unconsciously externalise the perceived sense of threat to the self.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

I think it has to be something encountered when one is particularly emotionally vulnerable that somehow breaks the brain to endlessly catastrophise about a vast transexual child abuse conspiracy 24/7, regardless of the damage done to themselves and everyone else
With men there definitely is a tie in with male straightness though, that's why the only men's journalism talking about the actual gender identity related child abuse conspiracy are magazines for gay and bi men.

I do hope that there's an equivalent for women countering all the mumsnet badness.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

Personally I've got real beef with the idea that you automatically have to condemn any non-Western act of violence. When an aggressor shows absolutely no interest in resolving a dispute peacefully, violence is the only choice. No poo poo, when violence becomes the only choice, a bunch of bad people will do some atrocities & hide behind the self-defence argument for moral justification, but that doesn't mean that all violence is bad.

This is a whole thing that comes up in my partner's research (mostly related to terrorism counter-narratives): for example, Al Qaeda's narrative is that Christians have been waging unprovoked wars of aggression on Muslims for like a thousand years, no amount of peace has stopped it, so the only remaining choice is to keep doing violence until the West gets the message that the only way to stop the violence is to stop invading the Middle East. It's a consistent narrative, with a strong factual basis. Orthodox counter-narratives are all trying to challenge that narrative & promote "Western values" like freedom and democracy,* but that doesn't work, because it's far less consistent & true than the Al Qaeda narrative: the problem isn't with the narrative, it's with the bit at the end where you go "therefore it's okay to blow up an Ariana Grande concert". Same thing in Northern Ireland, the peaceful civil rights movement was violently crushed by the State so violence became the only solution: the problem isn't with that part of the argument, it's where people make the leap from "some violence is justified" to "therefore any violence is justified so I guess I'll just blow up a schoolbus or w/e".

"Do you condemn this attack" is a lovely question because our society assumes that you have to condemn any non-Western violence. When it's defensive violence from an oppressed group with no other recourse, you've got to ask: idk, who was doing it, who was it targeted towards, what were they trying to achieve, what other options did they have? Whereas when a Western-backed power airstrikes children, you don't need any further information, they had like a million options that weren't literally war crimes, you can just condemn it out of hand

*whilst I'm ranting, jfc trying to promote "British values" to British Muslims in particular is some patronising bullshit, I think British victims of oppression might already have some lived experience as to what "British values" really are thanks, it's no wonder Prevent is actively counterproductive and absolutely loving lolworthy how the State keeps ignoring like 95% of empirical evidence on the subject & directing research funding towards a few fringe weirdos instead

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

A bit of extra context:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1392056602157535240

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So Starmer is behind even post-chicken coup Corbyn, when the entire PLP and all the papers were briefing that he was the worst person in the world? He's behind antisemitic Corbyn when everyone was openly calling him racist?

That's a big oof.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

jabby posted:

So Starmer is behind even post-chicken coup Corbyn, when the entire PLP and all the papers were briefing that he was the worst person in the world? He's behind antisemitic Corbyn when everyone was openly calling him racist?

That's a big oof.

With an almost totally compliant press and party too, it’s an unbelievable achievement to be doing this badly

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Convex posted:

Again, not on twitter. Is that what linehan actually espouses or is that a caricature? (genuine question)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Borrovan posted:

Personally I've got real beef with the idea that you automatically have to condemn any non-Western act of violence. When an aggressor shows absolutely no interest in resolving a dispute peacefully, violence is the only choice. No poo poo, when violence becomes the only choice, a bunch of bad people will do some atrocities & hide behind the self-defence argument for moral justification, but that doesn't mean that all violence is bad.

This is a whole thing that comes up in my partner's research (mostly related to terrorism counter-narratives): for example, Al Qaeda's narrative is that Christians have been waging unprovoked wars of aggression on Muslims for like a thousand years, no amount of peace has stopped it, so the only remaining choice is to keep doing violence until the West gets the message that the only way to stop the violence is to stop invading the Middle East. It's a consistent narrative, with a strong factual basis. Orthodox counter-narratives are all trying to challenge that narrative & promote "Western values" like freedom and democracy,* but that doesn't work, because it's far less consistent & true than the Al Qaeda narrative: the problem isn't with the narrative, it's with the bit at the end where you go "therefore it's okay to blow up an Ariana Grande concert". Same thing in Northern Ireland, the peaceful civil rights movement was violently crushed by the State so violence became the only solution: the problem isn't with that part of the argument, it's where people make the leap from "some violence is justified" to "therefore any violence is justified so I guess I'll just blow up a schoolbus or w/e".

"Do you condemn this attack" is a lovely question because our society assumes that you have to condemn any non-Western violence. When it's defensive violence from an oppressed group with no other recourse, you've got to ask: idk, who was doing it, who was it targeted towards, what were they trying to achieve, what other options did they have? Whereas when a Western-backed power airstrikes children, you don't need any further information, they had like a million options that weren't literally war crimes, you can just condemn it out of hand

*whilst I'm ranting, jfc trying to promote "British values" to British Muslims in particular is some patronising bullshit, I think British victims of oppression might already have some lived experience as to what "British values" really are thanks, it's no wonder Prevent is actively counterproductive and absolutely loving lolworthy how the State keeps ignoring like 95% of empirical evidence on the subject & directing research funding towards a few fringe weirdos instead

Well that's the whole point of it isn't it? The point is to get people to say "no" and then the interviewer can act scandalized and ignore all the substance to focus on how terrible the person is for not saying the magic words everyone wants to hear for clap clap time.

At some point someone's gonna have to come out with "no I don't condemn it and if I had the choice I'd fire a rocket at you as well you tedious little poo poo" but there is a sufficient mass of worthless mush brained idiots out there that are so perfectly attuned to the idea that violence is exclusively and automatically justified if it's their government doing it, that I can't imagine it cutting through.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jiggerypokery posted:

Again, not on twitter. Is that what linehan actually espouses or is that a caricature? (genuine question)

You can't carciature graham linehan he literally does nothing with his life at all except scream about transpeople being the worst thing in the world all day every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

team overhead smash posted:

Just got this email from kieth. Seems to be leaning into change:

Since I became leader of the Labour Party I have been overwhelmed watching the incredible work many of our volunteers do for our party. It’s amazing to see everyone come together to play their part, and this has never been more clear than in my first election campaign as leader.

Thank you.

I especially want to reach out to our Labour candidates and thank you all personally for the work you have put in.

I want to congratulate everyone who played a part in successful campaigns for election and re-election, as well as acknowledging the defeats many of us have faced in the last week, and the disappointment that you may feel about some of the results. No matter the result - your work is deeply appreciated. The work we do speaking to voters is always important.

The Labour Party must be the party that embraces the demand for change across our country.

That will require bold ideas and a relentless focus on the priorities of the British people from everyone in our movement. Just as the pandemic has changed what is possible and what is necessary, so Labour must change too.

Over the weekend we have seen fantastic results for Labour Metro Mayors, as well as the Labour government in Wales under Mark Drakeford. They have shown the difference we can make in power, standing up for their communities. We’re starting to turn around our fortunes in Scotland under the leadership of Anas Sarwar.

These results give us optimism and inspiration for the future of our party. The challenge for us now is to build upon these successes and learn from the places we lost, moving forward together.

I look forward to working with you all to take on that challenge, deliver that change and build the ambitious programme that will deliver the next Labour government.

Thank you again,

Keir Starmer
Leader of the Labour Party
I am so sick of politicians banging on about "change" without actually specifying what that change is.

Is the change you want the destruction of the corrupt capitalist death spiral the human race is in? No? Then gently caress off with your "change"