Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is there a campaign pitch for a tactical game any of you wish existed? I'm cobbling together a tactical system that I think has some potential, but for the first time in my life, I'm completely blanking on cool settings. I've been fleshing it out with bog standard fantasy, but that's boring. Should be a good setting for lots of grid combat, and have room for some fantastical abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Personally I'm pretty okay with the main part of the pitch being "tactical game".

I will say, more-or-less standard fantasy has you immediately picture swords and bows and magic, i.e. a natural-feeling mix of close quarters and ranged fighting. Unfortunately standard fantasy also has you picture It's Okay To Slaughter The Nonhumans, My Medieval Fencing Handbook Describes A Sword Strike Differently, and Yes But How Much Would A Turnip Really Have Cost In The 13th Century.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Michael Moorcock's eternal champion multiverse would make a great setting for a fantasy wargame. Tons of lore and variety to draw from, from Conan-ish bronze age fantasy to sci-fi, with high magic, monsters, elementals, demons, gods, etc. And not another Tolkien riff.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

CitizenKeen posted:

Is there a campaign pitch for a tactical game any of you wish existed? I'm cobbling together a tactical system that I think has some potential, but for the first time in my life, I'm completely blanking on cool settings. I've been fleshing it out with bog standard fantasy, but that's boring. Should be a good setting for lots of grid combat, and have room for some fantastical abilities.

Make the Amazing Screw-on Head game that deserves to exist.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CitizenKeen posted:

Do you mean tactical combat down to individual combatants or down to squads? I think if you mean down to individual combatants then yeah 4e exists Fire Emblem exists Final Fantasy Tactics exists and so on, but if it's like squad vs squad then I think there's still plenty of room for fantasy. And hell who doesn't want a Glorantha tactics game?

That said - if it is small scale, what about Mad Max? The last two times somebody said "lets 21st century-ify Mad Max" we got Apocalypse World and Fury Road, so gently caress it let's see if lightning strikes three times.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Tulip posted:

Do you mean tactical combat down to individual combatants or down to squads? I think if you mean down to individual combatants then yeah 4e exists Fire Emblem exists Final Fantasy Tactics exists and so on, but if it's like squad vs squad then I think there's still plenty of room for fantasy. And hell who doesn't want a Glorantha tactics game?

That said - if it is small scale, what about Mad Max? The last two times somebody said "lets 21st century-ify Mad Max" we got Apocalypse World and Fury Road, so gently caress it let's see if lightning strikes three times.

It's definitely individuals, except I've got the game simple enough that any player could easily handle 3-5 "units". The genesis was, in part, the idea of players controlling squads but a tactical game. The problem I've encountered is in the GM's side: if the players have 12 units, that's a lot of cognitive overhead for the GM to manage. So I'm moving forward with individual combatants for now.

Post Apoc has appeal.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Close-quarters cramped space station fighting in zero-G, maybe it's too dangerous to use most any projectile weapon (we'll all die when the area decompresses), and the cramped interior conditions conveniently make it reasonably practical to portray the combat space on a tabletop. Might have to get very clever to figure out how to place combatants within a 3-d space, I dunno. Also, aliens.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CitizenKeen posted:

Early Modern/simple firearms situations a la Warhammer Fantasy/Warmachine-sans-warjacks. Possible alternate location or flavoring: drawing on Nobunaga-era Japan, including the power of yari ashigaru or their equivalent.

Something like Monster Hunter: Unique but learnable large monsters with the battle being endurance/maneuver rather than just dropping the hammer. Good if you want to include lots of movement.

Plains warfare with an emphasis on horse/cavalry/etc. mobility. (This one may be more awkward for grid work but you might be able to get a good idea out of this.)

SCP/Men in Black situation where the tactical units are various agents working to suppress or control Incidents.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Imagined posted:

Michael Moorcock's eternal champion multiverse would make a great setting for a fantasy wargame. Tons of lore and variety to draw from, from Conan-ish bronze age fantasy to sci-fi, with high magic, monsters, elementals, demons, gods, etc. And not another Tolkien riff.
I had one of those, by Avalon Hill, at some point in the 80's. I didn't know the books, just some of the characters, and I remember it being super groggy with, like, tons of chits.

It was ...
chitty

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

CitizenKeen posted:

Smash TV/American Gladiators

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Literally Actually American Football tactical boardgame. Faithful implementation of the rules as best as can be done practically. My left guard lines up in three-point stance. My edge rusher has the Quick Start talent and rolls at the snap: critical success and he beats the tackle, critical failure and he jumps offsides (but will the ref see and flag it?). My press corner can just barely keep up with the speedy wideout in the slot. My opponent's running multiple plays out of the I formation, my MLB has to read them pre-snap and can give instructions to the DBs. Spider 2 Y Banana. The whole bit.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

Feudal Japan/Dynastic China fantasy. Kudos if you go full Wuxia.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

CitizenKeen posted:

Is there a campaign pitch for a tactical game any of you wish existed?

How about something medieval and peasant-punk? Like the all the weird crap from old texts and illuminated manuscripts that you play with 2D stand-ups inspired by old woodcuts.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

moths posted:

How about something medieval and peasant-punk? Like the all the weird crap from old texts and illuminated manuscripts that you play with 2D stand-ups inspired by old woodcuts.

So the setting I linked to a few pages ago then?

drrockso20 posted:

Also made me remember this setting;

The Lands of Adventure by Irondoors

Which is still one of my absolute favorites, basically everything about it is pure gold

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Close! Pretty much just mash up Pliny the Elder stuff with the book of Revelations instead of Warhammer.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

moths posted:

Close! Pretty much just mash up Pliny the Elder stuff with the book of Revelations instead of Warhammer.

Not sure where you're getting any Warhammer bits in that setting?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

I was influenced by lots and lots of sources when making it, but mostly by Tolkien, Pratchett, Pliny the Elder and Warhammer Fantasy.

I just read the summary.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

moths posted:

I just read the summary.

Well guess I forgot that part of the description, doesn't really show much in the actual Gazetteers from my recollection at least compared to the other influences

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

CitizenKeen posted:

It's the near future. Every conspiracy theorist's vision of the apocalypse has come to pass at the same time and now the various apocalyptic entities are fighting it out amongst themselves over who gets to rule over whatever's left of Earth.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Whybird posted:

It's the near future. Every conspiracy theorist's vision of the apocalypse has come to pass at the same time and now the various apocalyptic entities are fighting it out amongst themselves over who gets to rule over whatever's left of Earth.

Steve Jackson's Illuminati, then.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Whybird posted:

Do you play as an apocalyptic entity?

Though I guess honestly that would make it fairly hard to have a party. That would probably work better for a board game.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost

theironjef posted:

Though I guess honestly that would make it fairly hard to have a party. That would probably work better for a board game.

My thinking was more that you're one of the humans caught in the middle of it, and you're either trying to serve an apocalyptic entity in the hopes that they'll eat you last or just survive as best you can while the world goes to poo poo around you.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

theironjef posted:

That Angel game that was linked earlier seemed pretty interesting

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Invisibles. It's the present day and the forces of law, order and repression on one side and freedom and anarchy on the other are locked in an eternal battle. Your party is an Invisibles cell, operating independently but within a larger framework to fight against extradimensional enslavers and their representants on Earth using intense spiritual training. Your characters are firmly locked into both historic occult and spiritual traditions from around the world and the pop culture of your day, which feed into each other and are in many ways functionally identical. You will have to question whether your allies and enemies are in fact that, whether your allies' as well as your own methods are acceptable in the war, and whether you are in fact fighting the war you think you're fighting. Ages 12 and up

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Leperflesh posted:

Literally Actually American Football tactical boardgame. Faithful implementation of the rules as best as can be done practically. My left guard lines up in three-point stance. My edge rusher has the Quick Start talent and rolls at the snap: critical success and he beats the tackle, critical failure and he jumps offsides (but will the ref see and flag it?). My press corner can just barely keep up with the speedy wideout in the slot. My opponent's running multiple plays out of the I formation, my MLB has to read them pre-snap and can give instructions to the DBs. Spider 2 Y Banana. The whole bit.
Obviously you're asking for more but "Blood Bowl-but-only-humans" would be pretty close.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Invisibles. It's the present day and the forces of law, order and repression on one side and freedom and anarchy on the other are locked in an eternal battle. Your party is an Invisibles cell, operating independently but within a larger framework to fight against extradimensional enslavers and their representants on Earth using intense spiritual training. Your characters are firmly locked into both historic occult and spiritual traditions from around the world and the pop culture of your day, which feed into each other and are in many ways functionally identical. You will have to question whether your allies and enemies are in fact that, whether your allies' as well as your own methods are acceptable in the war, and whether you are in fact fighting the war you think you're fighting. Ages 12 and up

It's not a tactical game but Mage the Awakening is already basically this.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
Magepunk. Your characters are plausibly-deniable wands for hire, employed by one of the dozen or so epic-level wizards who rule the world in a complicated tangle of diplomacy, treachery and backstabbing, or more likely for a Professor Johnson working for one of said archmages. Characters do shadowruns on the holdings of other mages, or go out into the blasted wastes that have been scorched barren by magical warfare to loot the weird magical poo poo that remains after an rear end in a top hat wizard has hexed the place till it glows.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Does The Invisibles really call for tactical combat?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

Medieval Fantasy XCOM. See how knights and wizards and jerks with bows and arrows deal with proper Flying Saucer poo poo. Sectoids, Cryssalids, the works

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Whybird posted:

Magepunk. Your characters are plausibly-deniable wands for hire, employed by one of the dozen or so epic-level wizards who rule the world in a complicated tangle of diplomacy, treachery and backstabbing, or more likely for a Professor Johnson working for one of said archmages. Characters do shadowruns on the holdings of other mages, or go out into the blasted wastes that have been scorched barren by magical warfare to loot the weird magical poo poo that remains after an rear end in a top hat wizard has hexed the place till it glows.

That sounds delightful. Though I look forward to being excoriated for not making "just awesome non magic warriors" if I were to pursue it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Does The Invisibles really call for tactical combat?
probably not but it's my go-to theme for things that don't have one

You could leverage it to make the same point about all the awesome violence the comic did but that takes a special group of players.

e: you could always go full historical and make a WW2 tactical game but there are Issues

maybe "WW2 with a twist" like "WW2 but with aliens" i.e. basically Metal Slug

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 12, 2021

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I would like an actually good game with humans alongside dinosaurs. I've read a bunch and every one fails for various crazy reasons. I don't even care much what the theme is, could be JP, could be Dinotopia, could be a mix, as long as the mechanics are good and there's no confederate apologia.

Also the dinos need to be real species, I don't want one where there's an electric baryonix called a Teslasaurus.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

theironjef posted:

I would like an actually good game with humans alongside dinosaurs. I've read a bunch and every one fails for various crazy reasons. I don't even care much what the theme is, could be JP, could be Dinotopia, could be a mix, as long as the mechanics are good and there's no confederate apologia.

Also the dinos need to be real species, I don't want one where there's an electric baryonix called a Teslasaurus.

I change my vote to this. I too am tired of the only notable dinosaur RPG I know of being largely NeoCon propaganda

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

probably not but it's my go-to theme for things that don't have one

You could leverage it to make the same point about all the awesome violence the comic did but that takes a special group of players.

e: you could always go full historical and make a WW2 tactical game but there are Issues

maybe "WW2 with a twist" like "WW2 but with aliens" i.e. basically Metal Slug

oh poo poo actually there was a pretty sweet tactical jrpg called operation darkness that was basically a british squadron of werewolves, jack the ripper, the reanimator, frankenstein's monster and van helsing vs nazi vampires and zombies during ww2 and the final boss was hitler, dragon summoner. a tabletop of that would rule

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Asterite34 posted:

I change my vote to this. I too am tired of the only notable dinosaur RPG I know of being largely NeoCon propaganda
I don't remember that one, but I do remember Dinosaur Planet: Broncosaurus Rex, which is literally Confederate apologia.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't remember that one, but I do remember Dinosaur Planet: Broncosaurus Rex, which is literally Confederate apologia.

That's the one, yeah. I guess a fondness for monstrous dead-end failures does sorta correlate with liking dinosaurs, huh?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I didn't mean to nitpick. I just can't see e.g. John Podhoretz openly defending the Confederacy; neocons think Americans should square the circle by owning slaves in other countries.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I didn't mean to nitpick. I just can't see e.g. John Podhoretz openly defending the Confederacy; neocons think Americans should square the circle by owning slaves in other countries.

Fair enough, looking over the F&F it seems I was mistaken about the extend of its weirdness, it's more in a sorta Deadlands kind of area. Maybe a little worse, in that the game fiction seems to think the Confederacy are still good guys who voluntarily freed the slaves themselves out of the kindness of their hearts after they won the War of Northern Aggression.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Plutonis posted:

oh poo poo actually there was a pretty sweet tactical jrpg called operation darkness that was basically a british squadron of werewolves, jack the ripper, the reanimator, frankenstein's monster and van helsing vs nazi vampires and zombies during ww2 and the final boss was hitler, dragon summoner. a tabletop of that would rule

I wanted to like that game more than I did. The setting and story were so silly, but it was so janky. Permadeath and only having Herbert as a source of revives combined with poo poo like landminds just turned me off utterly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

How dare you all forget Dinosaurs... IN SPACE!