Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Rabelais D posted:

If everyone on the planet got the same wage we'd all be on something like 30k ish.

Considerably less I think if you really mean the planet.

Median salary in the UK (ie 50% of those earning enough to pay tax earn no more than) not quite £30k (I don't have a recent figure to hand - it was £29k or thereabouts).
Then you can have a debate about those company directors paying themselves dividends instead of a salary, but in the scale of the population I don't think that would make a huge difference.

Average (mean) salary is probably higher when you factor in the big earners - but the 'average' in this case is more than what most people actually earn.

Ed: 1975 - Equal Pay Act

Haha what a success that was. Better than nothing but still huge discrepancies.
When working in retail in1975-77: a female was called a Shop Assistant, a male doing identically the same work was called an Assistant Manager to justify paying higher wage.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

In other concerns, the tories are definitely going to push through this 'no voting g for you, without a passport, letter of permission from a wealthy local landowner and a papal seal, oik' evil, aren't they?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Trickjaw posted:

In other concerns, the tories are definitely going to push through this 'no voting g for you, without a passport, letter of permission from a wealthy local landowner and a papal seal, oik' evil, aren't they?

So how will that work for postal voting.
It's mostly tories that use that so other parties will have to seriously get on the case for encouraging postal voting as well as identifying exactly WHAT will satisfy the requirements given that if you are on low pay a passport costs a whole days pay or a week of benefits, and doing driving lessons, paying for a test, passing it in order to get a driving licence costs a bomb.

I expect there will be an app requiring a £300 phone to run it and the app production will be outsourced to a tory crony and fail miserably to work on any phone where the app has identified people 'liking' lefty posts or making lefty shitposts on illustrious forums such as this.

On the other hand, most of the tory-voting 80 year olds I know read the Heil, the Hexpress, and don't have smart phones.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
ID has been compulsory to vote in NI for at least as long as i've been voting age. you can get a free photographic card from the electoral office to use if you don't have any other kind of photographic ID

i looked it up and you can use bus passes and provisional licences and expired documents too

quote:

A UK, Irish or EEA driving licence (photographic part) (provisional accepted)
A UK, Irish or EU passport (note: EU passports are not accepted at UK Parliamentary elections)
An Electoral Identity Card
A Translink Senior SmartPass
A Translink 60+ SmartPass
A Translink War Disabled SmartPass
A Translink Blind Person’s SmartPass
These documents are listed in legislation and no other forms of identity can be accepted.

The identification document does not need to be current, but the photograph must be of a good enough likeness to allow polling station staff to confirm the identity of the holder.

https://www.eoni.org.uk/Electoral-Identity-Card/Electoral-Identity-Card-FAQs

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

ID has been compulsory to vote in NI for at least as long as i've been voting age. you can get a free photographic card from the electoral office to use if you don't have any other kind of photographic ID

i looked it up and you can use bus passes and provisional licences and expired documents too

https://www.eoni.org.uk/Electoral-Identity-Card/Electoral-Identity-Card-FAQs

Well so long as they use the NI system!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
of course in the new GB legislation you'll likely need a blue passport and to recite the full national anthem and to name every monarch since aethelred the unready

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

of course in the new GB legislation you'll likely need a blue passport and to recite the full national anthem and to name every monarch since aethelred the unready

And turn up in a poppy onesie with a union jack umbrella hat.

And there, you thought I was joking:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 12, 2021

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I will say that it's not that helpful to think about salaries being earned through hard work. Most of my colleagues in finance and medicine work hard and we generally come up with useful personal narratives to justify our incomes because of it. Some of my colleagues are used to coming in at 6am and leaving at 1am.

It's hard to quantify what relevance this has to do with anything though - if hard work caused high compensations then everyone in the world's income would be in a very narrow distribution because people do actually work hard no matter what they do.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ravel posted:

people do actually work hard no matter what they do.

I don't

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Rabelais D posted:

If everyone on the planet got the same wage we'd all be on something like 30k ish.

Scale down by a factor of 10 and you’d be right

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Even people who think of themselves as unproductive can't physically work orders of magnitude less than a hard worker to justify the income distribution.

It's the Weberian idea that people's incomes should be determined by how productive they are and how hard they work. Not only is it not true in practice, it shouldn't even be what we strive for.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Ravel posted:

Even people who think of themselves as unproductive can't physically work orders of magnitude less than a hard worker to justify the income distribution.

It's the Weberian idea that people's incomes should be determined by how productive they are and how hard they work. Not only is it not true in practice, it shouldn't even be what we strive for.

It’s one of those ideas that doesn’t scale up well. If you’re all painting a wall for a tenner and Alice and Bob are doing all the work and Charlie is off in a corner getting pissed on Strongbow, understandable that they would not feel that Charlie was entitled to the same share. Once you’re dealing with complexity - maybe Charlie is a talented visual artist, or has spent three weeks finding cheap paint suppliers so the job makes a profit, or is their salesperson and got them the job in the first place - it’s harder to reconcile that with simple heuristics.

I think it’s interesting to look at small businesses versus big organisations here. In a normal small business, the owner starts off doing everything by themselves. If they’re bad at it they go broke. If they’re good at it the business grows beyond their ability to do it all single handed so they hire someone else. Capitalism happens when they don’t bring that person in as an equal sharing partner but pay them a salary and then keep the surplus value created.

E: in a big organisation it’s all a lot more diffuse and it can be very hard to understand what value other people bring, and there always seem to be a lot of people around who do things we don’t see the value in who get paid more than we do. Most of us spend most of our lives in big organisations of some kind. So it’s maybe not surprising that there is a gut level fear of freeloaders, even if it’s totally irrational.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 12, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Why is that Dutch man wearing a union flag?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Would the world of the Kaiser's weltpolitik ambitions be any worse than those onesies?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

But then the crony contract will result in it being half assed so it will be recite at least two Only Fools and Horses quotes, and name four 1966 World Cup England team members.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is something very funny about mandelson blaming starmer for following his instructions.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

OwlFancier posted:

There is something very funny about mandelson blaming starmer for following his instructions.

Especially since mandelson doesn't lose anything by eating poo poo, nobody likes him already, it's kieth who needs to be protected but he dobs him in

Also 3am is a good time to trial my new conspiracy drop:
Chapman isn't kiers mistress she's his handler

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I like this thread's take on the New Statesman article:

https://twitter.com/breadandposes/status/1392181663032086529?s=21

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

crispix posted:

lol, does anyone other than the flag shaggers know the lyrics beyond the "god save the queen" bit.
I know more of the lyrics to come out ye black and tans than the national anthem pretty sure.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah that’s definitely what I said, you got me :jerkbag:

I think you should take a break from this thread if this is how you're going to post.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Yeah that’s definitely what I said, you got me :jerkbag:

You're falling for one of the oldest Tory/capitalist tricks of them all. "Hey worker! Those guys over there get more money than you! They're the reason you get so little!". Whether it's dressed up in the simplest way of "Well if I didn't pay them so much I could afford to pay you more", the old classic of "Well all these union workers don't work hard so I can't afford to pay anyone", or the more obscured, liberal-favourite "Well if we make benefits universal, it means that rich people might get them" (or the inversion "If we make benefits universal, lazy people will get them too"), it's all just a way of making sure your righteous ire is directed where it can't harm the people who actually control the purse strings.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
lol starmer is part of the woke left, count orlok says so.

https://twitter.com/NewStatesman/status/1392371964606550020

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Lol, bring him back, let the world burn!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

Lol, bring him back, let the world burn!

live footage from inside Labour HQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP2JPwbtq0g

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Anyone who thinks the tories are going to make it easy to get voter ID capable IDs easily is deluding themselves. This is to prevent those pesky poors from voting in the wrong people again.
It may backfire though, in trials they found the people who were most likely to not have ID were pensioners since they often weren’t renewing their documents after a certain point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

quote:

In his rejection of the “‘woke’ left”, Blair goes further than many British and American leaders on the liberal-left. “A progressive party seeking power which looks askance at the likes of Trevor Phillips, Sara Khan, or JK Rowling, is not going to win,” Blair writes, adding that people are “suspicious that behind the agenda of many of the culture warriors on the left lies an ideology they find alien and extreme”. “‘Defund the police’”, Blair says, “may be the left’s most damaging political slogan since ‘the dictatorship of the proletariat’.”

Moderates, stresses Blair, cannot afford to ignore the alienating cultural politics of the left. People do not like their country, their flag or their history disrespected”, he writes.

And if leaders on the right evince pride in Britain, while those on the left speak of pride only in embarrassment, it is the left who suffer.. Starmer’s failure to deal with the woke left means that it is the right, argues Blair, who are offering a “powerful cultural message around defending flag, family and fireside traditional values”.

We've already got a party that loves those things, tony.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Drone_Fragger posted:

Anyone who thinks the tories are going to make it easy to get voter ID capable IDs easily is deluding themselves. This is to prevent those pesky poors from voting in the wrong people again.
It may backfire though, in trials they found the people who were most likely to not have ID were pensioners since they often weren’t renewing their documents after a certain point.

I'm sure it'll be enforced completely equitably and they definitely won't just wave through Nigel upon seeing an expired Freedom Pass while rejecting Imran because there's a tiny delamination in the edge of their driving license.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

lmao what the gently caress does he think "progressive" means

(I read the article, honestly I laughed a lot but that might just be the 2d6 psychic damage talking)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Everyone but the fascists gets absolutely nowhere with flag-loving, we've seen it over and over. Even the loving Democrats have started to maybe accidentally understand that the right is going to call them communists no matter what they do.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jel Shaker posted:

i recall this line of argument shat the thread up for several days last time

It did yes because it was complete horse poo poo then and still is now.

peanut- posted:

Come on man, you get to retire at 60 and there's a persistent problem with consultants having to turn down work because their accrued pensions are worth over £1.1m by the age of 45.

Any NHS consultant working 5 days a week will be earning well over £100k a year easily and pushing £200k without that much effort. I don't mind what doctors earn at all, really I don't, but the performative outrage is eye roll inducing and any conversation on NHS pay should be realistic about what the various parties involved actually earn.

The reality is having a conversation about "NHS" pay led by consultants is like having a conversation on pay for Amazon warehouse workers led by software developers.

Like this for example. Almost all these numbers are pulled from their arse.

Oh no only 82k how can you possibly survive on such little money

Oh do gently caress off. The insane hours NHS staff put in along with the awful working conditions makes them probably the only people on the planet who deserve these types of salaries.

For content.

My partner is a midwife. Her most common shift involves her leaving for work by 6:45am and she gets in about 8:30pm. Id say she ends up not getting a break at all roughly 40% of her shifts. I touch computers for a living, badly I might add and probably actually work 70% of the hours I'm meant to and get compensated almost double her take home.
This isn't the fault of doctors.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
He's about as in touch as you'd expect someone who's been out of front line politics for 15 years to be. Starmer HAS to bring him back, it'd be fricking hilarious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Be fair, the labour party is full of people who have been in frontline politics constantly and still think all of that.

I think it's more that he has the politics of a loaded old twat, which is what he is.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And now I'm going to shoot my poppies up your backside.

(This photo was later used in evidence against the husband where he was found d guilty and sentenced to death by hanging.)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

It's just deliberate tiny train world consent manufacturing.

He literally asserts that Starmer campaigned on more public spending & less police powers, this is now the narrative

It must be true, otherwise it would be the right's fault he lost

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Genuinely shocked at the shamelessness at trying to portray Starmer as a patsy of the Left after he spent the last 15 months doing everything they asked of him. These people are loving demons.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol from their point of view Starmer was a sop to the left, and now he’s poo poo the bed they’ve decided the problem is we’re all too stupid to see how ~*electable*~ he is

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I hope they annoint Jess Phillips next at least, that would be fun

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It could also be that because he failed, therefore he must be too far left, because the alternative would require their politics to be capable of failing, rather than being failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

It could also be that because he failed, therefore he must be too far left, because the alternative would require their politics to be capable of failing, rather than being failed.
Yeah it's this.

Also starshiptroopersitsscared.gif