Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Aidan_702 posted:

ok but we've been saying this for 15 years

It'll take another 10 years or so as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Comrade Fakename posted:

They are fully aware of this (well, at least some of them are). That's why the Queen's speech included Voter ID and this "free speech on campus" poo poo. It's not about the culture war (well, not just about that), it's an attempt to hold onto longer-term power. The free speech stuff is a pretty pathetic attempt to reverse their fortunes among the young. I doubt the speakers at the Oxford Union really effects generational opinion, but it's an attempt anyway.
I'm wondering if this might backfire spectacularly, when the students who would ordinarily sign petitions to get far-right psychos uninvited instead picket the events, the protests are likely to be orders of magnitude bigger than the actual events (it's typically just like small student societies populated by nutters doing the inviting)

Maybe I'm just optimistic though, idk

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

As the boomers die off their Gen X kids are inheriting their houses and are definitely replacing them in the political landscape, except now they're also all for inherited wealth and influence.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Comrade Fakename posted:

It's just like viable fusion power then!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Aidan_702 posted:

ok but we've been saying this for 15 years

The boomers will never die, eventually they'll find a way to somehow being John malcovich themselves into the heads of whatever comes after gen z.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

But he just finished his latest grift, the Alliance for Unity in the Scottish election.

They did even worse than Alba.

He hasn't done better than 6% of the votes anywhere since 2015, it's just sad at this point to see him keep at it.

Failed Imagineer posted:

He already identified the best grift, being a sex-cat on tv for money :nyan:

The tv sex-cat days must be looking pretty good now that he's an electoral paypig.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As the boomers die off their Gen X kids are inheriting their houses and are definitely replacing them in the political landscape, except now they're also all for inherited wealth and influence.

I would not be surprised if British boomers have the same rate of surprising their kids with triple reverse mortgages on top of giving away all their money to nigerian scammers and alt-right talking heads and whatever's left goes to pallative care.

keep punching joe posted:

The boomers will never die, eventually they'll find a way to somehow being John malcovich themselves into the heads of whatever comes after gen z.

We call that a Get Out now, though oddly enough those are implied to exist in the same universe.

That said though, I can't think of any finer punishment for a boomer than to stick them into the head of a post gen z child.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is true but the effect of that will naturally be diluted with each passing generation. More of the olds live longer and wind up selling their properties to cover end of life care. Savings and inheritance dwindles. More and more homes go to portfolio landlords rather than individuals. So yeah gen x will probably inherit a decent chunk, but most millenials and zoomers I know aren't expecting to inherit and significant wealth in their lifetimes.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was thinking about this yesterday.
If my mum goes on for another 17 years to 100, (and despite being 83, she is very mobile, does various voluntary work in a charity shop and for the church) which there's no real reason why she shouldn't, myself and my siblings (I'm borderline boomer/GenX the siblings are GenX) will be in our late 70s. The next generation down will be in their 30s-50s so partly settled, and the oldest great grandchild (of mother) will be in her early 20s.
The inherited wealth will be basically skipping 2 generations - middle-aged millenials or Gen Z will be benefitting from the inheritances rather than Gen Xers.

(Of course that depends on what the mortality is - most of the over 80s where I live look fit to go on to 100 - one of the rules is if you can't take care of yourself - albeit with one or two carer visits a week - you have to sell up. Those who have died in the past year have been over 90 and one over 100 and their kids are in their 70s.)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

Just got ballot papers for GMB General Secretary. Does anyone here have any insight as to who is good/not poo poo of the people running?

Sounds like the 2 main candidates are both pretty strongly linked to Tim Roache who has stepped down amid horrid accusations around sexism. Seems a pretty poo poo union tbh

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

Sounds like the 2 main candidates are both pretty strongly linked to Tim Roache who has stepped down amid horrid accusations around sexism. Seems a pretty poo poo union tbh

It very much is, but they were the ones actually doing industrial action at my work as opposed to the other one that was all "these Pension changes are unfortunate but there's nothing we can do"

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gen Xers were always poo poo, they're the centrist demographic. Millennials will, on average, get richer as they get older, due to career progression and inheritance. But they're starting from a dramatically lower point, and frankly that inheritance is going to be squat for most, as fortunes are eaten up by elder care costs and then split among siblings.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Comrade Fakename posted:

The Tories may be in a commanding position right now, but they are facing total electoral oblivion in the future. They have inexorably tied themselves to a generation that is dying. Eventually it will be impossible for them to form a majority.

They literally killed hundreds of thousands of them

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

stev posted:

This is true but the effect of that will naturally be diluted with each passing generation. More of the olds live longer and wind up selling their properties to cover end of life care. Savings and inheritance dwindles. More and more homes go to portfolio landlords rather than individuals. So yeah gen x will probably inherit a decent chunk, but most millenials and zoomers I know aren't expecting to inherit and significant wealth in their lifetimes.

I will only be inheriting debt, mother already spent the money my grandmother left for the family (and me) on fags and booze. Trying to think what I should change my name to when the time comes

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Aidan_702 posted:

I will only be inheriting debt, mother already spent the money my grandmother left for the family (and me) on fags and booze. Trying to think what I should change my name to when the time comes

Change it to Boris Johnson and put your address down as 10 Downing St. Don't worry I'm sure it'll still be relevant at the rate Labour is going.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Aidan_702 posted:

Yeah my nans (born around 1910) only left debts and not because of fags and booze but because they never owned property, had never built up pensions because of how things were arranged back then, and were exactly the kind of pensioners who had to choose between dying of hypothermia or starving to death because they put the heater on for an hour.

One used to sit there with a thermometer to hand and the moment it hit 63F (17C) she would turn the heater off. One had been widowed at 49 and had to keep bailing out my aunt who was always in trouble, let alone auntie dumping two of her kids on nan for a few months while she ran off (after beating nan up). The other was widowed at 60. She used to tell us about how before the NHS if the kids were sick (dad and two uncles) she would have to choose (a) whether to visit a doctor at all and (b) which one could have the medicine - or divide what one was supposed to have between 3 if they were all sick at the same time.

So my parents never had any inherited wealth and were in financial difficulties until I was about 12 or so. Dad's salary never went above £13k. Mum did better once we were older and she could go out to work, but it was never more than £20k - £25k or thereabouts.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

It very much is, but they were the ones actually doing industrial action at my work as opposed to the other one that was all "these Pension changes are unfortunate but there's nothing we can do"

To be fair "seems shite" sums up most unions in this country. But the GMB supporting Owen Smith in 2016 is pretty funny. Seems like a union very into Trident replacement too.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Aidan_702 posted:

The good news is that you can't inherit debt, assuming you're not co-signed on anything. It'll be paid out of an estate, so worst case is you don't inherit anything.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
In 2017 the Tories were poo poo scared that Labour were creating a solid cohort of die hard left wing young people that was going to spell electoral disaster for them down the line.

Keith has successfully crushed that for now so the Tories can breathe a bit easier. Meanwhile the two things that you could really get Gen Xers on are the environment and the fact that housing is so expensive their kids can't get on the housing ladder, not to mention the cost of social care and uni. But Labour are so beholden to landlords that they will just give up that cohort for the foreseeable.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Red Oktober posted:

The good news is that you can't inherit debt, assuming you're not co-signed on anything. It'll be paid out of an estate, so worst case is you don't inherit anything.

Step away from the lathe, buddy

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

One of my favourite things about SA is how thuddingly irrelevant it is. No-one gives a gently caress about what we do here (just the way I likes it)

Comrade Fakename posted:

The Tories may be in a commanding position right now, but they are facing total electoral oblivion in the future. They have inexorably tied themselves to a generation that is dying. Eventually it will be impossible for them to form a majority.

I really don't mean to be a debbie downer but I don't think the "demographics as destiny" argument has ever actually worked out.

With that said, I think the rest of the century is going to be chaotic and tumultuous that it's basically pointless trying to predict the future, or even that electoralism is going to remain relevant or even extant.

e; fb multiple times

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 12, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is a fairly reasonable chance I will die before my parents so lol at the idea of inheriting anything.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Just got Pfizered, despite being < 40 :birddrugs:
Seemed to be a lot of people there that are well under 40.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

on the one hand I'm glad that I'm going to get a Good vaccine when I do get one, on the other hand I would rather have a Bad vaccine right now than wait much longer

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Barry Foster posted:

I really don't mean to be a debbie downer but I don't think the "demographics as destiny" argument has ever actually worked out.

it's also kind of confused in that it's not like a whole generation were born with Labour in their DNA, they were pushed that way via continuing material conditions. if the conditions change so will the demographics

that doesn't necessarily mean if our lives all get better and we all buy a family house and a mondeo we'll stop caring; there's a multitude of ways things can move backwards or sideways that can have an impact as well

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given that the best way to produce tories is wealth redistribution it is going to be interesting to see if the government can manage it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Rustybear posted:

it's also kind of confused in that it's not like a whole generation were born with Labour in their DNA, they were pushed that way via continuing material conditions. if the conditions change so will the demographics

that doesn't necessarily mean if our lives all get better and we all buy a family house and a mondeo we'll stop caring; there's a multitude of ways things can move backwards or sideways that can have an impact as well

One thing I've noticed is a tendency of those on the right to be genuinely bewildered that if it's ok for you, why should you be worried about anyone else's difficulties.

I have a passport and bills/bank statements in my own name - but then again they are almost all online and there are places that won't accept a print out of an online statement.
I don't drive so only have a provisional driving licence (which I used as a kind of ID card in Egypt where some buildings require you to leave ID cards or passports at the entrance).
So I make a post elsewhere about the difficulties this will cause for some people. Answer from rightwingers "but you have those so why are you concerned, it's not your problem."

In the slightly amended words of Senator Gracchus: "I don't pretend to be a woman of the people. But I do try to be a woman for the people."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One thing I've noticed is a tendency of those on the right to be genuinely bewildered that if it's ok for you, why should you be worried about anyone else's difficulties.

I have a passport and bills/bank statements in my own name - but then again they are almost all online and there are places that won't accept a print out of an online statement.
I don't drive so only have a provisional driving licence (which I used as a kind of ID card in Egypt where some buildings require you to leave ID cards or passports at the entrance).
So I make a post elsewhere about the difficulties this will cause for some people. Answer from rightwingers "but you have those so why are you concerned, it's not your problem."

In the slightly amended words of Senator Gracchus: "I don't pretend to be a woman of the people. But I do try to be a woman for the people."

My partner's dad is literally the '? ??' guy whenever she talks about poverty or racism or homeless people or whatever. It's like he short circuits. As far as he's concerned there's him, my partner and her sister, and my partner's mum, and if everyone else died tomorrow it'd be inconvenient but not sad.

Me included, I might add.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
It is a bit strange that people are pulling out the demographics are destiny argument in reaction to the Tories making moves that skew the (voting) demographic even more acutely in their favour.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It is a bit strange that people are pulling out the demographics are destiny argument in reaction to the Tories making moves that skew the (voting) demographic even more acutely in their favour.

Not really? The start point of the discussion was that the Tories are having to skew the voting demographic by removing voters because they can't gain new ones.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
My father in law is an archetypical centrist dad and he thinks homelessness and stuff is bad, but if you talk about any concrete numbers about how bad things actually are he just refuses to believe it's true.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was fortunate in that my nan bought her council house, refused to sell to any of the predatory buy to let vultures, and on her deathbed insisted that it be sold to a family that would actually live in it, and the money divvied up to help members of the family with housing stuff. I'd have never been able to afford a deposit if it weren't for that.

If anything I think that just made me think more about how there was a whole generation who had municipal authorities help them get housed, and how a third of the council housing stock ended up in the hands of landlords, and how not everyone has that opportunity, but everyone does require (and deserve) stable shelter.

There must be something more to whether someone goes full FYGM ladder kicking just because they consider themselves a homeowner (one of the few words in the English language with 'meow' in it, so you are now imagining George Galloway doing that).

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This basically.

Aphex- posted:

It's just like viable fusion power then!
I think we're finally getting there. The secret was lasers all along. :toot:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of people might, if you're lucky, balk at initiating violence personally against people, but I think most of them would absolutely kill you without a second thought if they didn't have to look at you while it happened.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Barry Foster posted:

My partner's dad is literally the '? ??' guy whenever she talks about poverty or racism or homeless people or whatever. It's like he short circuits. As far as he's concerned there's him, my partner and her sister, and my partner's mum, and if everyone else died tomorrow it'd be inconvenient but not sad.

Me included, I might add.

There's a lot of these people, more than we think. It's why they project "virtue signalling" onto other people.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of people might, if you're lucky, balk at initiating violence personally against people, but I think most of them would absolutely kill you without a second thought if they didn't have to look at you while it happened.

Nah, imo if gave them an order from a position of authority, and an air of "protection" for their acts under your authority, most gammons will absolutely become an Auschwitz guard overnight.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

if it was a case of just pressing a button or giving the nod or something then yeah, probably

Brendan Rodgers posted:

There's a lot of these people, more than we think. It's why they project "virtue signalling" onto other people.

That's entirely correct, yeah. Using that particular phrase is one of the ultimate ways people can tell on themselves

EDIT

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Nah, imo if gave them an order from a position of authority, and an air of "protection" for their acts under your authority, most gammons will absolutely become an Auschwitz guard overnight.

Nah, I definitely do think that it's a much smaller hardcore of people who would personally hurt or kill another person, if only because a lot of people might want to do it but be too cowardly to do it themselves

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 12, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I already did my very real national service, make the idle scroungers man the guard posts, I'm watching the cricket. :bahgawd:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Barry Foster posted:

Nah, I definitely do think that it's a much smaller hardcore of people who would personally hurt or kill another person, if only because a lot of people might want to do it but be too cowardly to do it themselves

That's what I mean about "protection", a lot of those cowards will feel a lot braver when given a uniform and a title. What they previously saw as a socially disadvantageous act will suddenly be something that is encouraged as long as they aim at outsiders to their group.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

I already did my very real national service, make the idle scroungers man the guard posts, I'm watching the cricket. :bahgawd:

Hey man, fighting on the front lines of the culture wars is trying stuff, I'm telling you

Think of the veterans of the Statues Offensive

Brendan Rodgers posted:

That's what I mean about "protection", a lot of those cowards will feel a lot braver when given a uniform and a title. What they previously saw as a socially disadvantageous act will suddenly be something that is encouraged as long as they aim at outsiders to their group.

What I mean is fear of the violence itself, rather than the disapproval of their peers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Comrade Fakename posted:

Gen Xers were always poo poo, they're the centrist demographic. Millennials will, on average, get richer as they get older, due to career progression and inheritance. But they're starting from a dramatically lower point, and frankly that inheritance is going to be squat for most, as fortunes are eaten up by elder care costs and then split among siblings.

Don't forget all those reverse mortgages advertised on the telly so Boomers can go on cruises then the house gets sold to pay for it when they die. To a landlord.