Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Brendan Rodgers posted:

There's a lot of these people, more than we think. It's why they project "virtue signalling" onto other people.
It's a shame that those people don't see that even from a purely selfish point of view things that are good for society are broadly good for them too. Even (or especially) the most Jeremy Clarkson type character has some pet peeves about society, whether that's potholes in the road, an out of proportion fear of burglary or mugging, or they just think that homeless people in the street make the place look untidy. Those are all things that are easily within our capability to reduce or entirely solve but for some reason nobody wants to support the policies that would actually do so (with the exceptions of more cops and bring back hanging, which don't work very well on the latter two issues and don't work at all on potholes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hang the potholes :mad:

National service (which I definitely did) to make the youth fill in potholes!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Barry Foster posted:

if it was a case of just pressing a button or giving the nod or something then yeah, probably

That's entirely correct, yeah. Using that particular phrase is one of the ultimate ways people can tell on themselves

EDIT

Nah, I definitely do think that it's a much smaller hardcore of people who would personally hurt or kill another person, if only because a lot of people might want to do it but be too cowardly to do it themselves

The literal Nazis are counterevidence, here. Check out the book Ordinary Men

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

Nah, what you wanna do is sign up the potholes for national service so they just stop laying in the street like lazy scroungers.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It is a bit strange that people are pulling out the demographics are destiny argument in reaction to the Tories making moves that skew the (voting) demographic even more acutely in their favour.

The argument is that millennials are always going to be significantly poorer than their parents, and that the Tories will try and end democracy to counter this. It's not a good destiny, really.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

It's a shame that those people don't see that even from a purely selfish point of view things that are good for society are broadly good for them too. Even (or especially) the most Jeremy Clarkson type character has some pet peeves about society, whether that's potholes in the road, an out of proportion fear of burglary or mugging, or they just think that homeless people in the street make the place look untidy. Those are all things that are easily within our capability to reduce or entirely solve but for some reason nobody wants to support the policies that would actually do so (with the exceptions of more cops and bring back hanging, which don't work very well on the latter two issues and don't work at all on potholes).

People don't act in their rational self interest, they act according to their intuitive understanding of the world which means that inflicting pain where they want it inflicted is far more important than actually benefiting themselves, because they will continue to believe that the pain infliction is the only thing that will benefit them right up until they die.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

It's an idea, but what with the soft youth of today I don't think they have the durability you need as proper pothole filler.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Exactly. I don't have kids, I could get all bitter and resentful about the amount of my taxes going on education, child support etc. BUT I definitely don't want a society where these kids being supported become malnourished, under-educated adults! (And there is a link between malnourishment and ability to learn.).
I don't drive, and rarely use the roads at all (even before covid). I could get all bitter and twisted about the amount of taxes spent on roads etc, but think of all those delivery services from deliveries to shops for us to buy essential goods to all the online shopping that people rely on - especially those in rural areas - they need good roads.
I could get all bitter and twisted about all sorts of things which taxes are spent on but which are of little direct benefit to myself.

People need to be encouraged to think much more widely about how things are all connected - nets, chaos theory, web of wyrd, stuff they can't see. I do blame education a little bit for "thought silos". (Did I just make up some management speak? Quick, I'll write a popular management book and create some courses and get rich.)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

feedmegin posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the majority of people are extraordinarily reluctant to kill, and that stuff like military training is designed to breakdown this basic reluctance.

I'm having trouble finding the study now though, and concede that I am probably wrong

EDIT here is something, I dunno if this was what I was thinking of, and it's not a paper
https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/hope_on_the_battlefield

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 12, 2021

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Barry Foster posted:

My partner's dad is literally the '? ??' guy whenever she talks about poverty or racism or homeless people or whatever. It's like he short circuits. As far as he's concerned there's him, my partner and her sister, and my partner's mum, and if everyone else died tomorrow it'd be inconvenient but not sad.

Me included, I might add.
Geez, even Mr. Birling got on well with Gerald (probably mostly because Gerald was richer than him though).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

feedmegin posted:

There's another book which I'm never sure how much is fact and how much is fiction by Ranulph Fiennes called "The Secret Hunters" which has parts about how normal, everyday Germans became Nazis doing unspeakable things. There's also the whole Stanford Prison Experiment and Milgram Experiment thing (though participants in the Milgram try to make out these days they knew it was fake - but I think they're lying to cover the fact that they were quite happy to electrocute people they couldn't see (but could hear) on the say so of a guy in a white coat.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/DanielHewittITV/status/1392470043812847617?s=20

Even this washed-up old duffer is dunking on Kieth now. How embarrassing for him.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Barry Foster posted:

Think of the veterans of the Statues Offensive

The Statues Offensive against offensive statues?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The majority of people's behavioural conditioning needs to be constantly reinforced by their environment, and so people will quite willingly be extremely cruel to people they are used to it being acceptable to be cruel to among their social circle.

As social acceptability drifts either due to changes in society or changes in the people they socialize with and/or the manner they socialize with them, so their range of behaviours drifts too.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

Geez, even Mr. Birling got on well with Gerald (probably mostly because Gerald was richer than him though).

I'm an unemployed ex-academic pothead communist with anxiety, depression, and no immediate prospects for any of those things to change

He worked in the oil industry in Nigeria in the 70s and 80s, then retired on a fat stack of cash

*Lavigne-ishy* can I make it any more obvious?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is one of those takes that's so wrong it's almost impossible to know where to begin. I mean we'll start just with a [citation needed] the size of the Sun because I can't see any way at all that this will make it *easier* for the precariat, or even just the nomadic graduate class, to vote.

The vast, vast majority of those without ID (and unable to obtain it without serious financial pain) are Labour voters and while a naive glance at the numbers would suggest that it wouldn't have a huge effect on seats at an election (because the majority of those Labour voters are in extremely safe Labour inner-city seats) it will have multidimensional effects down the line, none of which are good.

That better describes the people who are currently unable to vote. There was a big statistical discussion on that a few monthly threads back,, and the take away message was that that number dwarfs the vote difference between the parties. it was partly activated in 2017, which is why Corbyn did unexpectedly well.

Providing those invisible people with IDs would enable them to vote, not as a one-off thing, but as a permanent enfranchisement. Which would radically change the scope of the possible. Perhaps for the worse, yes. But some chance is better than no chance.

The obvious analogy here is with the change in Labour leadership rules that led t o Corbyn getting the chance at 2017 in the first place.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

I remember reading somewhere that the majority of people are extraordinarily reluctant to kill, and that stuff like military training is designed to breakdown this basic reluctance.

I'm having trouble finding the study now though, and concede that I am probably wrong
Sounds like the beliefs popularized by 'On Killing' and 'Killology'.
http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vo9/no2/16-engen-eng.asp

It's an optimistic view in a way, but almost certainly overhyped.

Where it becomes dangerous is when you assume that humans never ever want to kill and so you have to aggressively train that into soldiers or police officers just in case they need to. Then you end up with American cops being full of 'warrior cop' horseshit and not conflict deescalation skills.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Where it becomes dangerous is when you assume that humans never ever want to kill and so you have to aggressively train that into soldiers or police officers just in case they need to. Then you end up with American cops being full of 'warrior cop' horseshit and not conflict deescalation skills.

Yeah it must be Grossman, I couldn't find any other names related to the idea through google

oh well, that's thoroughly depressing

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

radmonger posted:

That better describes the people who are currently unable to vote. There was a big statistical discussion on that a few monthly threads back,, and the take away message was that that number dwarfs the vote difference between the parties. it was partly activated in 2017, which is why Corbyn did unexpectedly well.

Providing those invisible people with IDs would enable them to vote, not as a one-off thing, but as a permanent enfranchisement. Which would radically change the scope of the possible. Perhaps for the worse, yes. But some chance is better than no chance.

The obvious analogy here is with the change in Labour leadership rules that led t o Corbyn getting the chance at 2017 in the first place.

Presumably all the Tories would have to do is keep the current restrictions w.r.t. address and just require ID in the poll stations on top of that.

Hey presto no pesky enfranchisement to worry about.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

"thought silos". (Did I just make up some management speak? Quick, I'll write a popular management book and create some courses and get rich.)
Thought silos are where I keep my nuclear hot takes ready for deployment.

On the rest of your post, pretty much. That's meant to be part of the deal of living in a functional society. For people who want to be some kind of self-sufficient libertarian übermensch beholden to no man then I guess there's nothing stopping them buying a dinghy and going seasteading.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Some veterans and historians have cast doubt on Marshall's research methodology.[9] Professor Roger J. Spiller (Deputy Director of the Combat Studies Institute, US Army Command and General Staff College) argues in his 1988 article, "S.L.A. Marshall and the Ratio of Fire" (RUSI Journal, Winter 1988, pages 63–71), that Marshall had not actually conducted the research upon which he based his ratio-of-fire theory. "The 'systematic collection of data' appears to have been an invention."[10] This revelation has called into question the authenticity of some of Marshall's other books and has lent academic weight to doubts about his integrity that had been raised in military circles even decades earlier.[11]

Wikipedia posted:

As a result of Marshall's work, modern military training was modified to attempt to override this instinct, by:

using man-shaped targets instead of bullseye targets in marksmanship practice
practicing and drilling how soldiers would actually fight
dispersing responsibility for the killing throughout the group
displacing responsibility for the killing onto an authority figure, i.e., the commanding officer and the military hierarchy (see the Milgram experiment)

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Comrade Fakename posted:

The Republican party is now an undeniably fascist organisation that is currently rallying around retroactive support for installing Trump as a dictator.

Sorry wait, what?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Thought silos are where I keep my nuclear hot takes ready for deployment.

On the rest of your post, pretty much. That's meant to be part of the deal of living in a functional society. For people who want to be some kind of self-sufficient libertarian übermensch beholden to no man then I guess there's nothing stopping them buying a dinghy and going seasteading.

And when that doesn't work out as expected - some place people tried living in a Randian community and it all went wrong - can't remember where - you end up on Welfare as did Ayn Rand.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

A starting salary of £82k would put those senior doctors in the top 5% in the UK by income1, so I can see why people might feel unsympathetic. But the income curve is so skewed at the top, so asymptotic, that I thought it might be illustrative to remind ourselves of how income is distributed in the UK and put doctors into perspective.

The top 10% of earners (income over ~£43k in 2015)2 feel basically like normal folk and I imagine there are quite a few posting ITT. The top 1% (over ~£130k) are obviously raking it from the perspective of most of us, but the majority are also still workers in the sense that their money comes mainly from their employers. The fine folk of the top 1% pay about 30% of HMRC's income tax revenues, around the same portion as the 90-99% bracket :britain:. Even then you're "only" making a quarter of the top 0.1% (~£520k): the relative difference between someone on minimum wage and a senior doc. The richest 0.1% also control 10% of the country's wealth, so you know we're getting into serious capitalist territory here, basically nobody is getting this just as a pay cheque. Once you get onto the lofty heights of the top 0.01% (who are ~5500 people getting over £2.2m) income quadruples again and from their perspective the difference between £12k and £100k is basically nothing. It's hard to go up another order of magnitude to the richest 0.001%, because you're looking at individual people rather than statistics and they really don't like their finances being inspected. In any case it doesn't make much sense to talk about their income in the usual way because whether they gain £10m or lose £50m is basically reliant on random fluctuations of the market and in any case it doesn't much matter to them - to break the top 500 wealthiest (not the same as highest income but I can't find those numbers) UK people you have to have over £250m stashed away3.

All that is to say that sure, earning gently caress all and choosing between dinner and heat obviously feels very, very different to being a doc with a nice house in Zone 2 and a cottage in the Lakes. But the very top control so much wealth and take so much of the nation's productivity for themselves just for owning stuff that having a go at some guy who actually works for a living is pointless - to those on the top plane of income we all look like loving ants and they lend us about as much consideration. If some awful, awful catastrophe were to befall the top 0.1% basically no actual useful work would stop getting done - they'd all fit into the stands of a good sized football stadium like Anfield, remember, or onto the pitch in any standard sized grounds in the country. But we could all take a nice pay rise to console ourselves during the period of national mourning. I can't figure out exactly how much, but it seems like something on the order of another 25% of the total national salaries to divvy up as we choose. And since all that poo poo they own would still be around, like houses and factories and whatnot, I reckon we could find good use to put that stuff to as well. Much as it's frustrating reading about the out-of-touch opinions of the moderately well off in the lifestyle pages of the Guardian or among the Twitterati, it should be clear who the folk are to really have a go at.

1 Office of National Statistics: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/percentile-points-from-1-to-99-for-total-income-before-and-after-tax
2 All these numbers are from a 2019 Essex Uni Institute for Economic and Social Research study: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/research/publications/working-papers/iser/2019-06.pdf, their numbers are derived from HMRC and ONS. Obviously it's a few years old, but then income inequailty has only increased since.
3 Times rich list, you can look it up yourself.

This is a good post and I want to acknowledge it, but I would add that nobody was asking anyone to feel "sympathetic" towards senior consultants. That's a complete straw man argument that was directed at me. The whole argument started with peanut accusing doctors of hijacking discussions about NHS pay to the detriment of our colleagues, and of being "well connected" and frequently "bought off" by the government. Then when I tried to refute that it took a rapid turn into nonsense about 200k salaries and retiring at 60 followed swiftly by accusing me of wanting more money.

It's a particularly nasty line of argument because whether tube drivers or doctors, Worker A is not responsible for Worker B being underpaid purely because they are paid better. And Union A is not responsible for Worker B being underpaid because they drew too much attention to Worker A. Its the whole basis of solidarity among labour.

And for what it's worth, the fact that doctors negotiate their pay seperately means we won't be included in the post-pandemic pay deal they eventually thrash out with the rest of the NHS staff. Our pay rises for the next few years are fixed, so there's no reason at all to think we are distracting focus from other, lower paid staff. And every doctor I've met thinks the 1% currently being proposed for our colleagues is ludicrous and should be much higher.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the preferred state of being is where you live in a society that provides you with exceptionally good conditions but where you go around believing that you did it all yourself and tell everyone else that they can't have the society that helped you and then you die before you have to experience a moment of realization and then everyone else has to deal with living in the society you destroyed.

And regrettably, yudkowsky was wrong and we will never invent a computer hell specifically to put those people in it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, that link I posted mentions that

quote:

Marshall was employed by the US Army’s Historical Section, and his job as an army historian was the compilation of battlefield narratives. Systematically compiling and analyzing statistical data was not what the Historical Section was about, nor was it something for which Marshall had any interest or training. This makes Marshall’s statistics, at best, an estimation based upon personal observations. And with no surviving notes or documentation that would substantiate his claims, and no corroborating evidence from Marshall’s companions, there is only Marshall’s word that his claims regarding the ratio of fire were supported by the empirical evidence of his interviews.

Marshall had a hot take around the narrative that was going on, rather than hard statistical evidence, and it was built into Killology by Grossman, but is nowhere near the kind of extraordinary evidence you need to make the kind of claims that he's making.

It's one of those things that tells a nice story about humanity, it's nice to think that we don't want to go around killing each other, but it has dangerous consequence of making others think that you have to somehow instill that into certain occupations.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Never forget that some moron Randian businessman in the USA funded a trilogy of film adaptations of Atlas Shrugged each film with a successively smaller budget and worst critical reception.

e: a quick check on wikipedia reveals $35m went in to the budgets and $9m was made at the box office. Womp womp.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The company I work for went employee-owned, the main practical implication of which for me is that I get paid less since bonus pay is now based on seniority rather than performance, with stricter eligibility rules as well.

The senior management/founders still effectively retain control through the representation system they chose, so the workplace democracy aspect is a bit meaningless.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 12, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Never forget that some moron Randian businessman in the USA funded a trilogy of film adaptations of Atlas Shrugged each film with a successively smaller budget and worst critical reception.

e: a quick check on wikipedia reveals $35m went in to the budgets and $9m was made at the box office. Womp womp.
Wasn't the final one just the brainman speech?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Could be money laundering too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jaete posted:

Sorry wait, what?
The Republican party is now an undeniably fascist organisation that is currently rallying around retroactive support for installing Trump as a dictator.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

I find it hilarious how now that younger generations are fully dependant on inheritance to maybe ever own a house there's been a noticeable uptick among people I know's elderly relatives suddenly deciding 'i can't take it with me' and that the only sensible thing to do is to spend all their money and enjoy their last years. Literally a generation that hoarded wealth to the point it broke the economy and then said gently caress it and spaffed it all away on leisure once their descendants were fully dependant.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Algol Star posted:

I find it hilarious how now that younger generations are fully dependant on inheritance to maybe ever own a house there's been a noticeable uptick among people I know's elderly relatives suddenly deciding 'i can't take it with me' and that the only sensible thing to do is to spend all their money and enjoy their last years. Literally a generation that hoarded wealth to the point it broke the economy and then said gently caress it and spaffed it all away on leisure once their descendants were fully dependant.

At least that wealth has been redistributed into the hands of *checks notes* the owners of cruise ships and hotels.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very excited to live my life to the fullest by the time I am, what, seventy?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

jaete posted:

Sorry wait, what?

I don't know how I could have put it clearer.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Could be money laundering too.

That would assume these idiots would think that an epic trilogy of Ayn Rand's greatest work would be anything but a massive commercial success.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

radmonger posted:

You're somehow getting wronger. These people *can vote now*. All you need to vote at the moment is an address permanent enough to get post at to register (and there are even options for those without even that). After these changes, you will need that *and* all of the documentation and time required to get ID *and* the cash for a valid ID - even assuming best-case scenario that they're able to get a provisional license that's 50 quid, or almost an entire week's JSA for under-25s.

I want to re-emphasise this - even if the Tories have a sudden fit of generosity and decide to make ID sufficient to vote completely free, it is still a substantial disenfranchisement for people at the very bottom of society.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And when that doesn't work out as expected - some place people tried living in a Randian community and it all went wrong - can't remember where - you end up on Welfare as did Ayn Rand.
it got invaded by bears

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

jabby posted:

This is a good post and I want to acknowledge it, but I would add that nobody was asking anyone to feel "sympathetic" towards senior consultants. That's a complete straw man argument that was directed at me. The whole argument started with peanut accusing doctors of hijacking discussions about NHS pay to the detriment of our colleagues, and of being "well connected" and frequently "bought off" by the government. Then when I tried to refute that it took a rapid turn into nonsense about 200k salaries and retiring at 60 followed swiftly by accusing me of wanting more money.

It's a particularly nasty line of argument because whether tube drivers or doctors, Worker A is not responsible for Worker B being underpaid purely because they are paid better. And Union A is not responsible for Worker B being underpaid because they drew too much attention to Worker A. Its the whole basis of solidarity among labour.

And for what it's worth, the fact that doctors negotiate their pay seperately means we won't be included in the post-pandemic pay deal they eventually thrash out with the rest of the NHS staff. Our pay rises for the next few years are fixed, so there's no reason at all to think we are distracting focus from other, lower paid staff. And every doctor I've met thinks the 1% currently being proposed for our colleagues is ludicrous and should be much higher.

Am I right in thinking GPs are different; that that they own their practises, are independent of the NHS and contract out to the NHS for business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I can't find the video now, but Beau of the Fifth Column seems pretty confident that the 4% number is right, and given his background I'd trust his assessment. He said it's corroborated by other sources.