Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Failed Imagineer posted:

I believe everyone did, yes

Good good, just checking

E: Que snipo terrible, have a cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Excellent cat, pretty good looking keyboard too, has the @ in the right place (near a cat).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

radmonger posted:

In those terms, A + B would represent a political failure; that would be bad. Staying at A only would be the status quo; which is bad. Moving to B only would be a political success, and that might well be good.

Arguing for B only is going to be much easier than arguing for A only. If you have a national ID service, you simply don’t need the electoral register, so that becomes a pointless and obvious waste.. if you put the other side into the position of having to make weak arguments for something inherently unpopular, then political success is as likely as it is ever going to be.

Okay seriously are there hidden cameras somewhere around here? Are you going to rip off a false beard and reveal yourself to be Jeremy Beadle?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bobstar posted:

E: Que snipo terrible, have a cat

que gato superioso

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Excellent cat, pretty good looking keyboard too, has the @ in the right place (near a cat).

Excellent c@

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Brilladelphia posted:

There are many roles in the civil service which are public facing, as my department is, and I can also confirm first hand that intelligence is by no means a limiting factor judging by many of my colleagues (also Bugman you come across not only as intelligent but also a really good person, I'd gladly have you on my team. Definitely consider applying if you find a role that sounds up your street, the civil service is great to work for in my experience)

Thank you.

What sort of roles are there in the civil service? And do any of them help folks? Currently in the heritage sector and... well things aren't looking too good for us at the moment.

A good cat.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Josef bugman posted:

Thank you.

What sort of roles are there in the civil service? And do any of them help folks? Currently in the heritage sector and... well things aren't looking too good for us at the moment.

A good cat.

Technically speaking, the civil service's whole raison d'être is public service.

Here's a link to search for civil service jobs.

https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Got 'em!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I now call it a comp-tooter. Thanks, Kimmy Schmidt!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My face when a piece of PC software calls itself an app.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

That reminds me of a comic based on the teleporter/duplicator problem, where someone asks "how do you know which one is the original" and they answer "that's easy, the original is". Sounds like SMBC but I can't find it now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Noxville posted:

It’s just a renamed ‘political correctness’ at this point, sub that in for any right wing comment for it and you can pretend you’re back in the 90s
Relevant:

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

Comrade Fakename posted:

They are fully aware of this (well, at least some of them are). That's why the Queen's speech included Voter ID and this "free speech on campus" poo poo. It's not about the culture war (well, not just about that), it's an attempt to hold onto longer-term power. The free speech stuff is a pretty pathetic attempt to reverse their fortunes among the young. I doubt the speakers at the Oxford Union really effects generational opinion, but it's an attempt anyway.

From a few pages back, but the Oxford Union is an organisation that's independent from the university, so any attempts to force them to invite objectionable speakers by pressuring universities is likely to be about as effective as Keith's leadership.

Brilladelphia
Jun 26, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Thank you.

They're incredibly wide ranging, e.g. the work of the Foreign Office is obviously very different to the work of Natural England, and then roles will vary massively even within organisations, so there's bound to be something out there for you, though I'm not sure exactly what scope there is to work in heritage in the CS - if the National Archives counts then there are roles such as this - not public facing but would be a foot in the door.
There are definitely roles whose purpose is to help people, or at the very least who engage directly with the public - I work in such a department myself, and as Jaeluni said, every role is technically public service!
Search on civil service jobs (as Jaeluni linked above) for the grades 'Administrative Assistant' and 'Administrative Officer' in your area and see what comes up, and definitely fire off an application if you see anything you like :)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

RDevz posted:

From a few pages back, but the Oxford Union is an organisation that's independent from the university, so any attempts to force them to invite objectionable speakers by pressuring universities is likely to be about as effective as Keith's leadership.

Also tends to be right-wing though as a pipeline for student Tories. Bozza was president back in his day for instance.

JCRs and I guess OUSU though? Lot more vulnerable.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
In recognition of it being Eid Al Fitr, I was going to donate some money to a charity that supports the humanitarian effort in Yemen.
I know that not all charities are equally correct; but is there any reason not to donate to MSF?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/BBCJLandale/status/1392477425481756681

congrats to the new tory mp from hartburn-upon-gunt

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
im delighted to welcome you all to the civil service

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

bump_fn posted:

surely he's more likely to start a blog with gwyneth paltrow

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

jaete posted:

Hm, you mean the GOP are trying to whitewash their previous non-opposition to Trump doing the whole Capitol invasion bullshit and all of that?

I was under the impression that by now Trump has been forgotten and nobody talks about him, including Republicans. Could be completely wrong though, I haven't really followed it

You have definitely not followed it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Remember Starmer's skateboard skills kid?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

bump_fn posted:

Bet he gets a vote nae bother.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

In other news, BoJo has said sorry that the British Army murdered a bunch of people in Northern Ireland during the Troubles.

He's so sorry about it, that he wants to stop any soldiers for being prosecuted for any of these wrongdoings. Again, he's so sorry.

https://twitter.com/thejournal_ie/status/1392519903958163457?s=19

The vacuous words of Boris count for absolutely nothing.... so no real change there, still waiting for him to fulfill his dead in a ditch promise to at least show commitment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

radmonger posted:

In those terms, A + B would represent a political failure; that would be bad. Staying at A only would be the status quo; which is bad. Moving to B only would be a political success, and that might well be good.

Arguing for B only is going to be much easier than arguing for A only. If you have a national ID service, you simply don’t need the electoral register, so that becomes a pointless and obvious waste.. if you put the other side into the position of having to make weak arguments for something inherently unpopular, then political success is as likely as it is ever going to be.

The government doesn't need to argue for it, they're the government, they can just do it, and then because they have done it it may well prove very difficult to vote for a different government that would undo it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guavanaut posted:

I think we're finally getting there. The secret was lasers all along. :toot:

This fusion power is always gonna be x years away is personally really frustrating to hear to me. Fusion power research has been chronically underfunded and still is, yet things have advanced steadily for decades and we've slowly gotten closer and closer. So fusion is not something that's constantly on the horizon and the main reason it appears to be that way is funding and lack of political will more than anything else.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1392452185624043525?s=19

Again, this man murdered his wife and got a high paid lawyer to pretend it was due to reduced capacity.

Not surprised UK journos look up to literal murderer's

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

His Divine Shadow posted:

This fusion power is always gonna be x years away is personally really frustrating to hear to me. Fusion power research has been chronically underfunded and still is, yet things have advanced steadily for decades and we've slowly gotten closer and closer. So fusion is not something that's constantly on the horizon and the main reason it appears to be that way is funding and lack of political will more than anything else.

It's kind of true though isn't it? It's just a reflection of the fact that people initially grossly underestimated the challenges involved and the more it's studied and the more challenges are overcome the more become apparent. I actually laughed upon reading a BBC article yesterday about an "important breakthrough" with magnets that, late in the article, added "there are still many challenges to resolve but nothing insurmountable, we're really hopeful of getting something working in the early 2030s!"

Reminds me of game development in a way

E: this was the article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56843149

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 13, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nonsense posted:

Remember Starmer's skateboard skills kid?

This sounds terribly embarrassing and I want to know more

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Maugrim posted:

It's kind of true though isn't it? It's just a reflection of the fact that people initially grossly underestimated the challenges involved and the more it's studied and the more challenges are overcome the more become apparent. I actually laughed upon reading a BBC article yesterday about an "important breakthrough" with magnets that, late in the article, added "there are still many challenges to resolve but nothing insurmountable, we're really hopeful of getting something working in the early 2030s!"
Fusion was always the long term goal, and while yes it should have had a lot more government funding, we should also have been building mass fission 40 years ago.

If we'd done that we'd be on course for a "heh, remember climate change and the y2k bug" future.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

radmonger posted:

If you have a national ID service, you simply don’t need the electoral register, so that becomes a pointless and obvious waste.

The electoral register is used for more things than determining who can vote. It's an important tool for the court system, where it's used to make sure two people with the same name aren't confused and also to select jurors.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Huh, I'm all booked in for my vaccination today. Am actually kind of impressed by how easy that was to do.

I got a text at like 8:45 AM saying I'm able to book my vaccination. I tapped the link, got taken to an extremely simple webpage that made me put in my date of birth on a janky-rear end calendar from early-2000s web design, then I got a huge list of available appointment times. Picked one and I'm done.

Tomorrow I'll be that guy posting his side-effects

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

The electoral register is used for more things than determining who can vote. It's an important tool for the court system, where it's used to make sure two people with the same name aren't confused and also to select jurors.
Those are the kinds of things that a citizenship register are useful for, along with making sure that people don't get Windrushed.

But that's why the Tory plan will absolutely not be a citizenship register, it'll just be an additional encumbrance atop the current restrictions.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it's a dangerous thing to give the sorts of busybodies that tend to staff polling stations any additional power imo

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vaccine booked! I'm younger than 38, but I popped my DOB in the NHS vaccine booker just to try and it let me schedule an appointment for tomorrow.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Necrothatcher posted:

Vaccine booked! I'm younger than 38, but I popped my DOB in the NHS vaccine booker just to try and it let me schedule an appointment for tomorrow.

Well, thats because there are other reasons people younger than 38 might be needing to book one and they can't check for all those factors online. It says on the front page what they are.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Well, thats because there are other reasons people younger than 38 might be needing to book one and they can't check for all those factors online. It says on the front page what they are.

You sure? I've tried a couple of times over the last few weeks and it wouldn't let me make a booking due to my age. Previously it gave me a list of things I could check off if I was eligible, but I'm not going to lie about being a social care worker. This time I just sailed through no questions asked.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Necrothatcher posted:

You sure? I've tried a couple of times over the last few weeks and it wouldn't let me make a booking due to my age. Previously it gave me a list of things I could check off if I was eligible, but I'm not going to lie about being a social care worker. This time I just sailed through no questions asked.

Nope.

Are you 38 before 1st July? Could be that

Otherwise I guess theyve just turned off/down the age check thing because theyre lowering the age limit every few days and maybe because things are progressing at different rates regionally and it would be a ballache if the system kept turning people away. Dunno

But if it let you, just go because why not.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My wife and I both got an invitation to to book a vaccine appointment yesterday, so they're down to people in their mid-30s now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I guess (from twitter, I don't watch the shite) Campbell has turned GMB into the Wacky Alley and chums show.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 13, 2021