Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm running Citra since the graphic options are normally better than just using a 3DS and it's less work but what's the deal with load screens dropping to a near total freeze? I never had that issue with Joker 3 when I played it awhile back.

Jade Rider posted:

I got the same issue with the loading when I tried Citra, I didn't even get to the Desert world before I bit the bullet and put it on my modded 3DS.

Anything newer than nightly 1524 is going to run like rear end. I think there were some changes to shaders or something that causes that issue. Playing on a 3ds is better anyway for online stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

between this guy and artyom from the Metro series i'm just done with silent protagonists in general unless they're exceedingly good at mime

I still think the best use of a silent protagonist I've seen is in Mother 3, where it's sort of a meta thing. You control multiple characters throughout the game, and while you're controlling a character, they're a silent protagonist. When they're not under your control, though, they have dialogue like anyone else. It's a fun twist on the "this is you right now and so you imagine all their dialogue" thing. I think it's used pretty effectively to identify the player with their main character there.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbf that’s generally how Dragon Quest works in the handful of instances where it comes up. poo poo, that’s kind of how 4 works in each person’s chapter, although I think Alena gets normal party chat dialogue and probably Maya/Meena do too. And I guess Torneko appraises every item you can find in his chapter even if he doesn’t talk, so I guess Mother 3 commits a lot harder.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Dragon Quest heroes aren't very expressive as a whole but Eleven is noticeably stonefaced compared to Eight. It's not as bad in the other games just because a silent protagonist doesn't stand out as much in a game with no voice acting. But, I mean, Link has no voice in BotW but he still emotes. It also doesn't help that Eleven is outshone by the entire rest of the party. The real kicker is that at one point you encounter a younger version of Eleven, and he talks!

Given how the entire rest of the game is "Did you like the rest of the series? Here have a reference.", I am pretty certain that happened because exactly that same thing happened in V (meeting your younger self, who talks like any other NPC).

snohax
May 30, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm running Citra since the graphic options are normally better than just using a 3DS and it's less work but what's the deal with load screens dropping to a near total freeze? I never had that issue with Joker 3 when I played it awhile back.

Jade Rider posted:

I got the same issue with the loading when I tried Citra, I didn't even get to the Desert world before I bit the bullet and put it on my modded 3DS.

spacebard posted:

Anything newer than nightly 1524 is going to run like rear end. I think there were some changes to shaders or something that causes that issue. Playing on a 3ds is better anyway for online stuff.

Like spacebard said, use version 1524, and also make sure your audio emulation is set to HLE. It's the default setting, but I went poking at things before I started and the game would constantly slow down or stall until I figured that one out. Now it runs seamlessly in most areas at 3x internal resolution and 200% speed :v:

The online content has some nice perks, but on the other hand the game upscales pretty well. I had originally planned to bounce my save between my PC and 3DS to get the best of both worlds, but ended up playing through both the main and post game purely on Citra.

I named the slime family Yagooza

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Good, we need some updates on the new DQM and Adventures of Dai games, among whatever else they're working on that isn't a F2P mobile game.

snohax posted:

Like spacebard said, use version 1524, and also make sure your audio emulation is set to HLE. It's the default setting, but I went poking at things before I started and the game would constantly slow down or stall until I figured that one out. Now it runs seamlessly in most areas at 3x internal resolution and 200% speed :v:

The online content has some nice perks, but on the other hand the game upscales pretty well. I had originally planned to bounce my save between my PC and 3DS to get the best of both worlds, but ended up playing through both the main and post game purely on Citra.

Thanks, I'll swap to 1524 then. I hadn't even thought about online content for the game but I'll check that out at some point too I guess.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Harrow posted:

I still think the best use of a silent protagonist I've seen is in Mother 3, where it's sort of a meta thing. You control multiple characters throughout the game, and while you're controlling a character, they're a silent protagonist. When they're not under your control, though, they have dialogue like anyone else. It's a fun twist on the "this is you right now and so you imagine all their dialogue" thing. I think it's used pretty effectively to identify the player with their main character there.

Golden Sun/2 did that also but it was weirder there.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Lmao I still love the random line that Felix does have in Golden Sun the lost age, it's like they forgot that he was excited protagonist but just for literally that one text box

I think it's something mundane like "why?" But it's still jarring because it's popped randomly in like hour 20 out of 40. It's even weirder because he was pretty vocal in the first and last acts of the prequel

Golden Sun is just so stupid in so many other ways but I remember really liking it back then

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 14, 2021

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

fingers crossed for a Builders 3

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Threw some money at getting the physical release of I-III on the Switch, and have started my "Let's play through the mainline in order until I burn out!" moods I get in every now and then. First game, it's the same as ever and its barebones grind is as soothing as ever. But....not sure how I'm feeling about these visuals. Like, it doesn't look awful, but the character sprites and the world just don't quite feel like they are meant to go together.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

On the subject of Joker 3, something I found out the other day is that while there's a translation patch that covers the base game only, someone has since come up with a patch for Pro that uses the base game's translation patch plus a machine translation for Joker 3 Professional's additional content.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Hmmm, there are 12 leaves in the logo.

I hope DQ12 gets announced but going to keep expectations in check.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Threw some money at getting the physical release of I-III on the Switch, and have started my "Let's play through the mainline in order until I burn out!" moods I get in every now and then. First game, it's the same as ever and its barebones grind is as soothing as ever. But....not sure how I'm feeling about these visuals. Like, it doesn't look awful, but the character sprites and the world just don't quite feel like they are meant to go together.

I honestly only have one real problem with DQ1, and that is the Heal and Harm spells no scaling well. Heal especially starts well enough, but by level 10 it's not healing enough anymore and Healmore doesn't come until 17 or so. I wish that there were a Heal, Healmore at mid-level and Healmost at high level, with a similar thing for Hurt. At every level, Hurt should do more damage than a simple attack. I would base it off attack power but with sizeable bonus.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So does the 3DS remake of DQM2 just use the exact same breeding charts as the original (except for your new custom monster?) or are there resources somewhere for the 3DS version?

While looking for info I came across the DQM2 remake for PSX and goddamn, the sprite art for that version looks amazing.

snohax
May 30, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

So does the 3DS remake of DQM2 just use the exact same breeding charts as the original (except for your new custom monster?) or are there resources somewhere for the 3DS version?

While looking for info I came across the DQM2 remake for PSX and goddamn, the sprite art for that version looks amazing.

The remake builds on the Joker series system, and as such it's a completely different breeding system from the originals, with only a small handful of specific recipes being the same.

There's a decent guide on GameFAQs for playing through the story, which was written before any translation existed, but for breeding and such the best resource by far is this document which the translation team and community put together:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V7Q_sovR-j0ir9FKEVW_-T9O_SDPitdgQ_tntd0cl74/edit#gid=1397823174

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

But....not sure how I'm feeling about these visuals. Like, it doesn't look awful, but the character sprites and the world just don't quite feel like they are meant to go together.

Pretty sure the background tiles are from DQ6/3r. I think the sprites were new for the mobile ports, and the Switch versions appear to be ports of those. They also appear to run at 30fps, which would drive me insane. The silky-smooth SFC remakes are still king.

JustJeff88 posted:

I honestly only have one real problem with DQ1, and that is the Heal and Harm spells no scaling well. Heal especially starts well enough, but by level 10 it's not healing enough anymore and Healmore doesn't come until 17 or so. I wish that there were a Heal, Healmore at mid-level and Healmost at high level, with a similar thing for Hurt. At every level, Hurt should do more damage than a simple attack. I would base it off attack power but with sizeable bonus.

This always bothered me too. The mid-game you basically play as the Soldier class (minus the utility spells like Radiant and Outside). Scaling hurt/heal probably isn't necessary, but the overall experience could've been greatly improved by adding mid-range spells around lv 10-12. I guess they ran out of ROM space for that, it was a 1986 game after all and possibly lacked a MMC expansion like what was common in NES/FC games by the time it was localized. DQ1 J was CNROM and DW1 NA was MMC1 so they both had expander chips.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 15, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finally done with DQ11's main story at 84 hours. i'm not going to bother with the last couple tockle quests or the superbosses

good experience overall and most of the cast was a delight, but i was mostly checked out by act 3. i didn't have a lot of investment in the plot to begin with whenever sylvando wasn't talking, and as many others have said, act 3 gutted the story's few points of interest in favor of something even more tediously saccharine. and the final boss looked stupid! he looked really really stupid! i thought rhapthorne was bad but this guy was a giant baby-robot with perfect cell's color scheme and it was stupid!

i know that dragon quest as a series isn't much for profound villains but 11's roster felt pretty weak compared to the roaming body-snatching terror of DQ8's scepter. the closest thing we had to a recurring badguy who wasn't just a slavering force of corrupt evil was jasper, and even he only had a handful of scenes. props to one "villain" though for actually getting a solid redemption. krystalina reacting to the failure of her last ruse by going "it's a fair cop" and moving on to become the queen's confidante/wife might make her one of the smartest baddies in jrpg history

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 17, 2021

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

DQVIII is really the only game in the series that had you interact with the main antagonist with any sort of regularity. I think IV is the next closest but you still only see Psaro a few times compared to constantly chasing after the scepter.

Most of the time the focus is more along each towns little story.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Yeah, Dragon Quest villains are generally of the classic "Villain shows up twice to go WAHAHAHA then sit in their evil castle the entire rest of the time"

Shout out to the Dragonlord for being the classic version who refuses to lift a finger, even in Builders 1.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Harrow posted:

Golden Sun did something kind've similar in that the main protagonist didn't talk in their game. So you reach lost age and Felix is mostly mute until the ending and Issac goes from being mute to being one of the chattiest protagonists.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Unlocked the ability to make keys yesterday in DQM2 and while it took awhile I eventually got one of those keys to have the S rank money enemy in it. I'm glad I had kacrackle and kaboomble on a couple of characters and aurora breath/big bang on my montner because goddamn those enemies get a lot of HP as you max out the key. Fast forward through a bunch of gold farming and xp grind/breeding and those things definitely die much faster when you have Zoma double AOEing them and a heart slime knight with uber breath who juse uses deep breath + ice age for 500+ damage to everything.

I hope the upcoming DQM game switches some stuff around though. I can understand why they do the size thing for monsters but so many larger monsters just aren't worth it (except as enemies who ruin your poo poo, loving leviathans :argh:). Sure, Dragonlord 2 can get 1-3 actions when left to their own devices but Zoma and a bunch of other small units get 1-2 actions as well so it's 2-4 actions vs 1-3 and while units like DL2 get a boost to skill damage (supposedly) I'm just not seeing the value there for a lot of 2-space units. I haven't messed with Rebirth much yet so maybe they really shine when min-maxed in that system.

snohax
May 30, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unlocked the ability to make keys yesterday in DQM2 and while it took awhile I eventually got one of those keys to have the S rank money enemy in it. I'm glad I had kacrackle and kaboomble on a couple of characters and aurora breath/big bang on my montner because goddamn those enemies get a lot of HP as you max out the key. Fast forward through a bunch of gold farming and xp grind/breeding and those things definitely die much faster when you have Zoma double AOEing them and a heart slime knight with uber breath who juse uses deep breath + ice age for 500+ damage to everything.

I hope the upcoming DQM game switches some stuff around though. I can understand why they do the size thing for monsters but so many larger monsters just aren't worth it (except as enemies who ruin your poo poo, loving leviathans :argh:). Sure, Dragonlord 2 can get 1-3 actions when left to their own devices but Zoma and a bunch of other small units get 1-2 actions as well so it's 2-4 actions vs 1-3 and while units like DL2 get a boost to skill damage (supposedly) I'm just not seeing the value there for a lot of 2-space units. I haven't messed with Rebirth much yet so maybe they really shine when min-maxed in that system.

2-space is definitely the most awkward to use. The full list of benefits for Big Hitter are:
  • 1 additional skill and 1 additional trait
  • 50% higher HP and MP cap
  • 5% higher Attack, Defense, Agility, and Wisdom cap
  • a damage/healing multiplier that starts small and goes up as you lose HP, up to a max of x2
  • increases resistance to Whack, Poison, Curse, Immobilize, Confusion, Paralysis, and Sleep by 2 stages
  • increases the chance of "tension burn" (the thing where a monster will sometimes raise tension in response to some other event) by 50%

Of these, the damage bonus that scales with missing HP is the only thing unique to the size, since 3- and 4-space monsters get scaled-up versions of everything else, along with other, more obvious benefits like built-in aoe on most attacks. There's some gimmick builds which use Dead Obsession or Close Call plus luck boosters to survive at 0-1 HP and hit back with the full x2 bonus, but in PvP these have the fatal flaw of being bypassed entirely by Co-Op attacks, and Chain is a big part of the meta.

Rebirth, in addition to a 20% stat boost across the board, lets you swap one of the species' normal traits with almost anything else from the other parent, and that limitation of only being able to replace one trait is what really keeps 2-space monsters from being completely unviable, since some monsters just have a good enough set of base traits and resistances to justify the extra slot.

On the whole, you're right about action economy winning out. The extra action traits carry a hefty stat penalty, but even with that most of the top competitive teams are 4 standard or small body monsters with 7+ actions between them. There's also been some 3-space+1 teams, and a few of the 4-space monsters are very popular and can be competitive, but 2-space is few and far between. The ability to hit the whole field and a more reliable damage boost just makes it far easier to justify the fewer actions. Their stat growths do tend to be significantly higher than a standard monster, and they'll pass part of those growths down to their kids regardless of size. So they're much more useful when you're playing through the story and nowhere near hitting stat caps. Just a shame they fall off in usefulness after that.

I'm guessing the next DQM game will change at least some of the mechanics significantly. Joker 3 ditched the one trait swap rule for rebirth entirely. Instead, each monster had a single signature trait that can't be changed, and each trait had an assigned point value. You could swap non-signature traits freely as long as you didn't go over the point budget for the monster's size. In the mobile remake of DQM2, technically the newest entry in the series, they added the ability to use the swapped trait to rebirth monsters as any size, instead of just sizing them up to 2- or 3-space, and also added crests which let you boost a stat and the effects of a limited number of traits on each monster. While the new game could pull from either of these, my current bet is it uses none of the above and has a different system entirely.

snohax fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 24, 2021

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfmOWgfYVjY

I hope XI-S goes on sale in addition to something more exciting than that.

v Thanks, I'll probably nab it if it doesn't budge on Switch.

Kobogartimer fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 26, 2021

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug

Kobogartimer posted:

I hope XI-S goes on sale in addition to something more exciting than that.

Dragon Quest XI-S is on sale on Epic, $15.99 after the $10 off coupon.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I hope they confirm that the new DQM game is coming to the US and that a demo is going to be out after the stream ends. :pray:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

english stream is about to start here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfmOWgfYVjY

jp stream already in progress, talking about things you won't be able to buy outside of japan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9SQAaRMOzw

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I kind of want that metal slime watch :(

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Finally an eraser game!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Boo still no plans for worldwide release of the MMO.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

"There are no plans for a worldwide release" lmao

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Good, it looks like poo poo, like the diamond/Pearl remake do. The only reason anybody ever like super deformed graphics is because it was the only thing available

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Dragon Quest 3 but Octopath Traveler remake. Hopefully comes here.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
dang, hd-2d DQ3 looks pretty nice

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Good, it looks like poo poo, like the diamond/Pearl remake do. The only reason anybody ever like super deformed graphics is because it was the only thing available

I think that was the new offline version they're making. The actual MMO looks decent.

Oh and I guess a DQ 3 remake because we needed one of those?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Oh poo poo, Octopath Traveler-style HD DQ3 remake.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Octopath Threemake

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

An Octopath style remake of DQ3 looks neat. Better than the candy crush clone at least

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
God, honestly thought we were getting a Builders 3 announce. Oh well.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

dq3 remake looks great, i'll play that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Worldwide release for the DQ3 remake at least.