Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cojawfee posted:

The first guy to make one hosed up and then convinced everyone it was intentional and they just keep doing it because that's the way they've always done it.

This is the explanation for a lot of things.

E: First goon to get a snype on page 45 of the 2021 Everest Thread.
#blessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Cojawfee posted:

What's that prong near the handle for?

Dual beer opener.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thumposaurus posted:

I get emails from pizza but for some reason despite having ordered from them last 10+ years ago.

I saw it so now you have to too.

This day in hut history

LOL at not going to Aconcagua for this stunt.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Cojawfee posted:

foreskin cleaner.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is that a loving Space Force KaBar?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

MrYenko posted:

Is that a loving Space Force KaBar?

bird show him the rest of the dirty rear end handle

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cojawfee posted:

The "chop faster" speed notch

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Aardvark! posted:

bird show him the rest of the dirty rear end handle

That dirt wiped off

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mostly

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

It looks like a toy plastic knife you buy for a kid along with a bright orange air pistol that fires plastic bbs.

except for the edge I guess, that looks... functional? maybe?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
China is planning a "separation line" on the Everest summit in an effort to keep any people climbing up from Nepal from giving COVID to people climbing up from Tibet should they reach the summit at the same time: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57053982

My response is: lol

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Lol at the grinding chatter on the "edge" of that manufactured landfill stuffing

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You think the United States Space Force would use a substandard knife you commie pervert

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
First member of the armed forces to experience explosive decompression two minutes into my first space walk as I accidentally slice open my space suit while loving about with a tacky kbar.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gohuskies posted:

China is planning a "separation line" on the Everest summit in an effort to keep any people climbing up from Nepal from giving COVID to people climbing up from Tibet should they reach the summit at the same time: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57053982

Very sad that China doesn’t realize that COVID is over.

Must have cave syndrome.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

lol exactly how I imagined it.

gohuskies posted:

I wonder if China will station some military troops on the summit to enforce the separation line.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Nepal says its Covid response is under control – everyone can see it’s not true

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...ee-its-not-true

Some stand outs-

quote:

...Oxford University’s data tracking site shows a staggering 668% increase in confirmed Covid cases in the two weeks to 1 May...

quote:

...nationally, 44% of all tests were positive...

quote:

...There are fewer than 600 ventilators for the entire country...

quote:

“One of the electrical crematoriums that is broken needs some Indian technicians,” a senior government official tells me.

“And we’ll soon run out of wood to cremate bodies.”

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
That team of Bahrain special forces and their prince made it to the top without any tragically hilarious mishaps.

People are really hyped to note that this is the NEW Mount Everest height, too. gently caress YOU GRANDAD AND YOUR SHORT EVEREST THIS IS XTREME EVEREST so I guess now everyone has to climb it again to get the sticker.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/bahrain-prince-led-team-is-1st-foreign-group-to-scale-mt-everests-new-height-2439337

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:lol: the Southeast route is easier than its ever been since the 2015 earthquake leveled out the Hilary Step.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

:lol: the Southeast route is easier than its ever been since the 2015 earthquake leveled out the Hilary Step.

But those final 86 centimeters are SUPER TECHNICAL!!!!!!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Potrzebie posted:

But those final 86 centimeters are SUPER TECHNICAL!!!!!!

So much so they are actually referred to as 'a technicality'

don't look into it

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Only on Everest would a bunch of dudes say "don't look at my 86-centimeter technicality."

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Apparently the NYTimes thirsts for the blood of rich idiots, and is practically goading them into racing for a dumb record...

quote:

Only 44 people have reached the summit of all 14 of the world’s 8,000-meter peaks, according to the people who chronicle such things.
Or, they now say, maybe no one has.

The difference rides on a timeless question getting a fresh look:
What Is a Summit?

Ed Viesturs believes he knows. He is one of the 44, the only American on the list. In 1993, climbing alone and without supplemental oxygen or ropes, Viesturs reached the “central summit” of Shishapangma, the world’s 14th-highest mountain. Most climbers turn around there, calling it good enough.

Before him was a narrow spine of about 100 meters, a knife-edge of corniced snow with drops to oblivion on both sides. At its end was the mountain’s true summit, a few meters higher in elevation than where he stood.

Too dangerous, Viesturs told himself. He retreated.

“You can let it go, or you can’t let it go,” Viesturs said. “And I was one of those guys where if the last nail in the deck hasn’t been hammered in, it’s not done.”

Eight years later, Viesturs climbed within reach of Shishapangma’s summit again. The ridge looked doable. With a leg on each side — “à cheval” in mountaineering, French for “on horseback” — he shimmied across it. He touched the highest point of Shishapangma and scooted back to relative safety.

There is a summit. And then there is everything below it.

Can close ever be good enough?

Revelations from a team of respected researchers have thrust that question into the open like never before, putting special attention on the world’s highest mountains and most acclaimed climbers.

By asking a simple-sounding question — What is the summit? — the researchers are raising doubts about past accomplishments and raising standards for future ones.

Maybe they are making us all reconsider just what it means to reach the top.

The Himalayan and the Karakoram ranges of Asia are home to all 14 of Earth’s 8,000-meter (26,247-foot) peaks — not only the highest mountains in the world, but with familiar names that evoke wonder: Everest, K2, Annapurna and Lhotse among them.

Thousands of miles away, in a small town in southwestern Germany, lives a 68-year-old man named Eberhard Jurgalski. He has a robust, white beard and pulls his hair into a ponytail.

He has spent 40 years chronicling the ascents of the 8,000-meter peaks. He has not climbed these mountains, but he is widely respected for compiling the records of those who have. He is among the cadre of behind-the-scenes researchers who give credence to the claims that make others famous.

He can tell you the names of various expeditions, the dates, the details of the routes and whether oxygen was used. He has studied photographs and videos and satellite coordinates and accounts from climbers and witnesses.

And now he has some jarring news: It is possible that no one has ever been on the true summit of all 14 of the 8,000-meter peaks.

[...]

Jurgalski’s idea to reset the record book might inadvertently start a new competition. Who will be the first to definitely prove to have stood atop all the true summits?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
The article says the German guy wants to put together a scoring system, 1000 points for a true summit. I wonder if he'd call the spot on Kangchenjunga where folks usually stop the true summit, or if climbers are going to have to trample all over the local gods to get that high score.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
It ain't a summit until a cheevo pops up on your mobile phone.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I hope this leads to longer lines at Everest as now you have to wait in line to summit and wait in line on the summit to stand on the biggest rock there.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I hope this leads to longer lines at Everest as now you have to wait in line to summit and wait in line on the summit to stand on the biggest rock fattest corpse there.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I kinda want to haul a step stool up there, set it up on the peak, climb on top and flip off everyone in line behind me, then throw it off the edge so nobody else can.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

There’s gonna be a new one of those nearly every year, invalidating all previous records as the corpses get fatter and the pile grows higher

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Clark Nova posted:

There’s gonna be a new one of those nearly every year, invalidating all previous records as the corpses get fatter and the pile grows higher

A near perfect metaphor for capitalism wow

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

honda whisperer posted:

I kinda want to haul a step stool up there, set it up on the peak, climb on top and flip off everyone in line behind me, then throw it off the edge so nobody else can.

Just leave a large rock up there, declare it as the new summit and invalidate every summit that came before you.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Make sure to tip the sherpa that carries the rock up for you well.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The pro move would be to steal a ladder from the icefall and embed that at the top

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

The mountain has claimed it's first two this season.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mount-everest-deaths-puwei-liu-abdul-waraich/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You have to jump at the top. Only the person with the highest vertical can say they have a true summit.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

PostNouveau posted:

You have to jump at the top. Only the person with the highest vertical can say they have a true summit.

Is first person to dunk on another climber at the summit still available?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

LanceHunter posted:

Apparently the NYTimes thirsts for the blood of rich idiots, and is practically goading them into racing for a dumb record...

This is like the no-oxygen gatekeeping. Keep making it more impossible lol

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Does this mean a winter summit on some mountains is worth more because of the added height from snowpack? I hope these idiots start trying to climb during snowstorms to get the most height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What about stilts? Hard mode if you wear them from base camp, cheater mode if you just carry them to the summit