Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

if youre gonna do 'funny names' you have to do it as the name of the year people do and spin it as 'this name is awesome i love it'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

is this company dead yet

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

no, but they did just launch their own cryptocurrency

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
drat ive been running a Best Names roundup at my work for the last 2 years i hope i dont get discovered and fired and publicly sexually humiliated in the street for all to see like a filthy pig

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

goddamn this hell reality where this was a plausible thing that could have happened

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

you got me. hook line and sinker

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zamujasa posted:

also just remembering that jeffatwood showed up on something awful to espouse the values of ~gamification~

wheres my medal for shitposting

was he the one who yelled about the avatar changes here being "monetized bullying" on his way out the door?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

akadajet posted:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

akadajet posted:

same

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

was he the one who yelled about the avatar changes here being "monetized bullying" on his way out the door?

very possible. I found a link to the threads: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470954 and https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471311

been awhile but there's some insightful commentary in there from people who are not jeff atwood

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it's gotten to the point where when i see this behind a link like you did i'm relieved

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

:yosnice:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk how to close a thread on mobile so just pretend I empty quoted that and closed this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bump

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody posted:

idk how to close a thread on mobile so just pretend I empty quoted that and closed this

stop trying to stifle progressive politics chat in yospos

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
get a load of this guy tim just shitcanned https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/12/22432909/apple-petition-hiring-antonio-garcia-martinez-chaos-monkeys-facebook

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

“Most of the things the Apple employees have expressed concern about come from Chaos Monkeys itself. (The book is dedicated to “all my enemies.”)”

lol what a douche

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if apple wants the best people from advertising this is what the "best" looks like, that whole industry is run by psychopaths top to bottom

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
How the hell did a guy like that ever get through the HR filter in the first place? Someone must have at least thumbed through MyBigottedViews.txt

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

what makes you think executive hires need more than a quick handshake after a power lunch and a rubber stamp?

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
In my experience the higher up in a corporation the hire is the less vetting they go through.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i assume he was recruited and shepherded through the process by a pal/bro/former colleague working at apple, and that person is right now updating their resume

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

this is where I get confused with pinboard. he retweets this https://twitter.com/jonst0kes/status/1392879799727796229

but it seemed, from the outside, like there was a sizeable outcry from employees who do not want to work with this new hire? why is that bad but other worker solidarity is good? what was supposed to happen here?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
pinboard is the Matt Taibbi of tech and should be treated similarly

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Zaxxon posted:

In my experience the higher up in a corporation the hire is the less vetting they go through.

well obviously. if they’re the kind of person who needs vetting, why are you even considering them for the job?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
So a while back at an old job we were interviewing for new engineering managers who'd oversee all devs (around 40-50 at the time). So they had various leads come in to interview him, and i was one of them.

The guy was probably 32? Real handsome and tanned with shoulder-length hair. Gave me his card, he had some ridiculous east coast wealth name like Westerbrooke or something.

I decided to ask him about a 2 year gap on his resume. He told me he'd taken the time to backpack around India and that it really "opened his eyes to a lot of things" and recommended I give it a try someday.

I went through his list of jobs. None were longer than two years. There were i think 8-10 of them. Every one of them was either "founder" or "cto" or "VP of Engineering" and, as it turns out, each was either one he'd started himself or one that his friends had started. They all failed due to some variation of running out of money. Every single one of them.

So a couple days later we all got together for a debrief. Everyone in the room loved him, praised his extensive experience as a high powered engineering leader and noting his extensive industry experience. Other than myself, a total of zero people noted that his resume was a litany of failure and all his experience was at being a massive failson money pit.

Exec hiring is a farce.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

rotor posted:

Every one of them was either "founder" or "cto" or "VP of Engineering" and, as it turns out, each was either one he'd started himself or one that his friends had started. They all failed due to some variation of running out of money. Every single one of them.

god i hate this. buncha dipshit failbros cosplaying as businessmen.

if your company is four people making a phone app then you are not a CEO and i'm going to laugh at you

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

pokeyman posted:

this is where I get confused with pinboard. he retweets this https://twitter.com/jonst0kes/status/1392879799727796229

but it seemed, from the outside, like there was a sizeable outcry from employees who do not want to work with this new hire? why is that bad but other worker solidarity is good? what was supposed to happen here?

them framing it as "being mad at a metaphor in a bestselling book" is a hell of a tell on themselves. I read the extended excerpt in the Verge's article, and my takeaway was that this isn't just about that one bad line about Silicon Valley women being weak, it's an entire book where he proves he's like every other 2000/2010s-era libertarian-adjacent, casually-misogynistic young male internet rear end in a top hat who never grew out of their Hunter S. Thompson phase.

nrook posted:

pinboard is the Matt Taibbi of tech and should be treated similarly

it is a touch strange that pinboard went all out in the 2018 midterms on fundraising for progressive candidates, almost all of whom then lost, and his reaction to that defeat was... to let 2020 go (relatively) unremarked in comparison, and roll into 2021 as a defender of dudes being dudes while tossing a few occasional hints in the direction of "I don't get why everyone is still so worked up about the trump thing"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

this dipshit wanted to be the Big Tech Michael Lewis so badly

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i am saddened to hear about the pinboard dude

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

FMguru posted:

i assume he was recruited and shepherded through the process by a pal/bro/former colleague working at apple, and that person is right now updating their resume

Yeah I get that there was probably a lot of friend nepotism going on, but I would have thought that person at least looked into it a bit, just so a bad hire doesn’t come back in them like this.

Then again I suppose event that is pretty naive. I remember a bunch of university heads, politicians, and media people only getting caught years later for poo poo that should have been easily checked. e.g. they didn’t have the degrees/military experience they said they had.

The elite live in a truly different world.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the nice thing is that the dude or dudes responsible for bringing that guy in have probably limited their career growth significantly

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
background checks are more: did you graduate from college when you say you did with the degree you claim, did you work at all the places you listed on your application (and the dates and titles are correct), do you have an arrest record or any outstanding warrants

not sure how reasonable it would be to add "did you publish any books? please provide us with a copy so we can scan all 200+ pages for anything problematic" to the process (although I know that some places will scan your social media for problematic content as part of their background check)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I mean retweets aren't always endorsements, but pinboard will almost always quote with comment. idk.

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

not sure how reasonable it would be to add "did you publish any books? please provide us with a copy so we can scan all 200+ pages for anything problematic" to the process (although I know that some places will scan your social media for problematic content as part of their background check)
Oh come on, it's not like they didn't know he had written the book.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mystes posted:

Oh come on, it's not like they didn't know he had written the book.

yeah but how likely is it that they actually read it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like i mean i've interviewed plenty of people that have written books I've never read, and the idea that its some kind of wild oversight that no one sat down and read this novel a dude wrote seems weird

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

I mean retweets aren't always endorsements, but pinboard will almost always quote with comment. idk.

he has much more sympathy for “people getting run outta town by the twitter mob” than I do, I think that specific retweet is an endorsement. but your general point is taken

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

like i mean i've interviewed plenty of people that have written books I've never read, and the idea that its some kind of wild oversight that no one sat down and read this novel a dude wrote seems weird

googling a review of it doesn't seem like too much of an ask though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

googling a review of it doesn't seem like too much of an ask though

idk, i guess. I know i never bothered.