Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

More like BRRRR-RZ.

I'll show myself out.

I'm stealing that and using it against all my friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Brake lines done! Or at least run. Not gonna be surprised if I have to redo something there. Won't know till I try to bleed this whole mess. This line material is really nice to work but it bends if you look at it. Mainly it bends not just where I'm trying to bend it but where I'm holding it too. Might mess with it again later but it at least calls dibs on the routing so I can lay more stuff out.

Also this post is going backwards in time because gently caress you brake lines and I'm tired.

Before that pic, it was to nice out so I cleaned the brz.

By far the nicest winter it's ever had thanks to the accord and no apartment living but was still filthy.

Where the rear hard lines go through the body there are rectangular grommets. Nobody makes these anymore so I plugged them and drilled so I could use more universal ones.

Where were you when you realized you forgot to turn the gas on?

Lemme just put all this poo poo on, crawl through the cage, get comfy, BZZ gently caress!

All the wheel hardware showed up though.

Went nrg for the adapter and quick disconnect. I'm super impressed so far. As far as I can tell you can't put it on wrong and you'll know before you're on track if it's not connected all the way. Only fits in one position and only turns the wheels if it's fully locked.

I do need to get the wheel about 2-3" closer and a little to the left. That's the next project.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Friends car with the oil pan is having issues again. This time it won't go into gear when warm. He limped it over and borrowed the accord. Next day pulled it into the garage and it was obvious the clutch wasn't fully disengaging. Couple quick checks and some googling, it's probably the clutch master or slave.

Rock auto parts showed up today.

Slave went in first, it's easy, and.... Same thing.

On to the master. In the next pic, it's behind the brake master. And behind the shock tower. And under whatever dining room table dash and windshield combo this car has.

Zoom and enhance.

Tried to break the line loose and no luck. Flare wrench wouldn't line up, tried a regular one and it spun. Not rounded, it rotated. There's a second fitting in there. I need a second wrench on it. With that wrench in place I again can't get the flare wrench on it. Now the regular wrench gives that magical I'm about to gently caress this fitting all the way up feeling.

I stare at it for a while. The hardline can swivel... I break it loose at the other end, pull a bunch of crap out of the way.

If you've got to do this on a similar gen civic just leave all the lines on the mc. Way easier.

What the hell honda.

Then I got to bleed a new MC by myself.

Fixed! It worked.

Now I'm drinking beer and fixing this poor things headlights.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

you're a real nice friend. :)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I remember swapping mine to a braided line, which was helpful as I swapped clutch master cylinders multiple times in that car. I really liked everything about the 8th gen 4 door Si except working on it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

you're a real nice friend. :)

Thanks!

PaintVagrant posted:

I remember swapping mine to a braided line, which was helpful as I swapped clutch master cylinders multiple times in that car. I really liked everything about the 8th gen 4 door Si except working on it.

Agreed, it's like working on a minivan. Braided line is a good idea for that. Did you have an aftermarket cmc or just sorted an AN fitting for the oem style? I will not be shocked if I have to do this again in the future.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

Agreed, it's like working on a minivan. Braided line is a good idea for that. Did you have an aftermarket cmc or just sorted an AN fitting for the oem style? I will not be shocked if I have to do this again in the future.

IIRC (its been a few years) I had a failing oem 2006 cmc....I bought a hybrid racing em3(?) cmc conversion kit that came with the braided line. I didn't like the feel of that cmc either and ended up swapping to the new at the time 09 oem cmc, which fixed all my issues. I kept the line though :)

Maybe hybrid racing sells the line + fittings by itself.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I think it might have been this conversion kit, em1 cmc apparently:

https://www.hybrid-racing.com/products/8th-gen-clutch-master-cylinder-upgrade

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'm not dead, works just been nuts for the past few weeks.

Was wondering how long does it take before a thread gets archived? Is it an age thing or being so many pages back?

Not much new with the civic. Got on the waiting list for the whitener shocks but nothing's happened there yet.

Did get some bits for the brz though.

Went with the hankook rs4s since from what I've read they're solid with great life if not quite as fast as the ZIIIs or re71s.

Slapping them on a set of rpf1s in 17x9 +35. Just waiting on the tpms sensors. Any luck I'll have them mounted and installed this weekend.

I can't wait for autox to start back up.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Works finally getting at least a little more normal.

I got wheels and tires in the brz. Barely. I couldn't do 8 mounted wheels with tires but 4 tires and 4 wheels worked.

Hell yeah. Mini monster truck now. Need to lower it and throw some camber in there too but so far no rubbing and a lot more grip.

Started on the sway bars. I've been tripping over them forever.

I knocked off the major rust and tried something new. Wrapped them in paper towels soaked in envaporust. Wrapped that in saran wrap. Left it for 24 hrs. It turned a bunch of poo poo black but I still wound up wire wheeling everything. Little paint, and slapped the rear on. Front I tossed in the stock one.

When I finished that I sat down for a beer and looked at my phone. I had an email from David whitener about my shocks. That opened with something like setup looks good except for the rear sway bar, run this speedway style one instead. Also shocks done soon.

gently caress. Awesome too, but gently caress. Oh well decent spare or someone might want it. Also stopped it's slow death so ok.

Switching to ITR rear arms too. Those will be here someday? The ones he recommended were from ali express. Looks like function 7 knockoffs.

Got new rear bar ordered, gas tank ordered, and springs ordered. Eibach needed a week to get past order pending. Sway bar was over the phone so it'll just be here someday. Shocks maybe tomory though!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

That escalated quickly. Email updates say I'll have springs and LCAs this week.

Shocks and the new tank showed up today.

Slapped the fuel pump hanger and level sender in just to keep stuff out of it.

Ordered new straps a while ago and didn't open them till now. No bolts....

Haven't started tossing parts yet so I went to the box marked fuel and found this.

Wire wheeled them and got everything broken loose then took some measurements.

Couldn't find any on rock auto so I'll make some, but the rusty bent ones will be fine for mockup.

Then I popped a front shock in so I could check for clearance and binding issues.

No issues so far taking it to upper a-arm slapping chassis.

I'll need the rear LCAs to check the back.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That front damper setup is super neat, I haven't seen one like that before. Top nut and pull the cotter pin below to swap?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

It's a first for me too. I think Ill have to unbolt it somewhere to get a new spring in. Cotter pin looks like it's just to retain the end that isn't on the sleeve.

Edit: ooohhhhhhh yeah I see it now. One bolt, one nut, and a cotter pin springs off. I didn't even make that connection.

Edit2: maybe just separate the shock fork and the cotter pin. It'll all depend on how much room there is to swing. When the springs show up Ill try to install with minimum work and see how it does.

honda whisperer fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 28, 2021

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Yay parts!

The LCAs look surprisingly good for ali express.

Was told beforehand I'd have to take some material out for clearance, here's why.

Yeah that's not gonna work.

I went ahead and pressed out all the bushings so I can take them to work and mill out some clearance. Caught another issue at the same time.

Ahh that feels more right. One bushing sleeve is a wildly different size. One lca came with plastic spacers and the other didn't. And the bushings look like poo poo.

I'm going to go ahead and model and remake some of this stuff. But it's a starting place.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Mini update, want to be able to look at drawings on pc for modeling purposes and this will make them easy to find and back them up.

This is probably one of my favorite tools at work. It's called a microhite. Press a button and beep the sphere at the end twice on a surface, or once up once down in a hole and it sets a zero. Then any double beep after that will give you a distance between your zero and what you hit.

Very quick way to get surface to hole or hole to hole or any combination distances.

So long as you don't move anything you don't even have to be in the center of the hole.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Civic coworker brought the honda in Saturday. He's had this thing forever

Super sorted and regularly tracked. ITR engine bolted to an obd0 b16 trans, only engine mods are exhaust, intake, and a s300. Good enough for 195 whp on a dynojet.

Ive told him if he ever sells it I get first refusal.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Made a rough model of the rear control arm. It's not perfect but the area I need to clearance is accurate enough. Tossed it in the cnc tonight and after some tweaking I think it's ready.

Modified in the front, original in the back.

Brought them home and started with the bushings. Since only 75% of the sleeves were the same I started by pressing out the sleeves in my stock control arms. They were longer than supplied too. Hmmm. Popped the supplied bushings in and got this.

Yeah nope.

Energy suspension supplied 88 crx rear LCA bushings too but a quick eyeball ruled them out.

Pulled out what was in the stock LCAs and they're actually perfect.

Pulled out the zerk fittings too. Drilled and tapped for them. Picking the old thread locker out sucked.

Tomorrow I'll install the passenger side without a spring and run it through it's travel to check for binding, if that's good I can actually get this thing back on it's wheels.

Once it's at it's ride height I can start on the rear sway bar.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Tried no spring travel test yesterday, it bound up. Took them back to work this morning and milled out some more.

Now reaches tire into body and then some. Surprising amount of twist in the lca to get there. Might actually get this thing off stands this weekend.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

How to get a car off and on stands on a 4 post easy mode.

Aww yeah. Got some more widgets to add, like the engine before I can set ride height but back on wheels!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nice sexuals (6ULs I think?).

Enjoying the thread and didn't want you to think you were posting out into the void. :)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Nice sexuals (6ULs I think?).

Enjoying the thread and didn't want you to think you were posting out into the void. :)

Thanks I need that, I was about to ask.

Not sure what the wheels are. They came off the co-workers civic and are cracked. Perfect for building it but that's about it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

honda whisperer posted:

Not sure what the wheels are. They came off the co-workers civic and are cracked. Perfect for building it but that's about it.

Classic 6UL :)

Yeah, you're for sure not posting into the void

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

honda whisperer posted:

Thanks I need that, I was about to ask.

Those are 949 Racing's 6ULs, designed for Miata's but bolt up fine to that era of Civic. They are excellent wheels.

I miss my 91 Si, that thing was a blast and went through the hands of several friends. It had an ebay turbo kit on it at one point and went through about 4 different motors and many different suspension and wheel/tire configurations. Saw a bit of track time at Willow Springs as well, it was a hoot.

Pictured below with custom side exit straight pipe exhaust from the turbo, burning a shitload of oil!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, you're for sure not posting into the void

Awesome thanks!

Coolnezzz posted:

I miss my 91 Si, that thing was a blast and went through the hands of several friends. It had an ebay turbo kit on it at one point and went through about 4 different motors and many different suspension and wheel/tire configurations. Saw a bit of track time at Willow Springs as well, it was a hoot.

Pictured below with custom side exit straight pipe exhaust from the turbo, burning a shitload of oil!

I see the triple pillar pod too. Turbo single or twin cam?

Feel free to post about it here. I should have been more encouraging to everyone to wax poetic about their hondas earlier in the thread but better late than never.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

honda whisperer posted:

Awesome thanks!

I see the triple pillar pod too. Turbo single or twin cam?

Feel free to post about it here. I should have been more encouraging to everyone to wax poetic about their hondas earlier in the thread but better late than never.

SOHC D16A6, and with the original motor in that particular photo. Story goes that it was purchased new in 91, driven for about 15 years as a DD, passed down to the daughter of the original owner who then drove it to work and back for two years before getting something newer. The family needed to sell it but instead it was given to her brother who also only drove it to work and back for another year. Eventually he decided to sell to my buddy who, at the time, was looking for a track car. Title in hand he went to ebay (friend is also a goon but I doubt he reads AI anymore) and got a poo poo-rear end ebay turbo kit and dumped several thousand into the suspension and other fixes. He worked with his brother to bolt everything up and weld a new exhaust (with nothing but the track in mind), it ended up blowing a head gasket on the track where the above photo was taken. Eventually it was put back to stock by my friends brother and I bought it from them as a DD. I drove it to work and back for about 6 months before passing it onto my other friend (also a goon) who then drove it for like 30k more miles, this included two rebuilt motors and a clutch. It still held up after all of this abuse, he sold it and I'm sure it's still running out there somewhere.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Yeah, just chiming in - still following along and definitely enjoying the thread. I just feel like here, as in so many threads, I don’t have a ton to add so I just read and don’t post after every update.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I know little to nothing about civics, racecars or suspension but I read along eagerly, it's fascinating.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Coolnezzz posted:

SOHC D16A6, and with the original motor in that particular photo. Story goes that it was purchased new in 91, driven for about 15 years as a DD, passed down to the daughter of the original owner who then drove it to work and back for two years before getting something newer. The family needed to sell it but instead it was given to her brother who also only drove it to work and back for another year. Eventually he decided to sell to my buddy who, at the time, was looking for a track car. Title in hand he went to ebay (friend is also a goon but I doubt he reads AI anymore) and got a poo poo-rear end ebay turbo kit and dumped several thousand into the suspension and other fixes. He worked with his brother to bolt everything up and weld a new exhaust (with nothing but the track in mind), it ended up blowing a head gasket on the track where the above photo was taken. Eventually it was put back to stock by my friends brother and I bought it from them as a DD. I drove it to work and back for about 6 months before passing it onto my other friend (also a goon) who then drove it for like 30k more miles, this included two rebuilt motors and a clutch. It still held up after all of this abuse, he sold it and I'm sure it's still running out there somewhere.

Never tried turbo civic life myself. I've worked on and driven a ton though. Weird how a car can roll through a friend group. For a while my DD was an EG hatch that I was the third owner of without it changing where it parked.

builds character posted:

Yeah, just chiming in - still following along and definitely enjoying the thread. I just feel like here, as in so many threads, I don’t have a ton to add so I just read and don’t post after every update.

It's weird because I know that's happening because I do the same thing but brains are dumb.

Some of my friends finished their vaccines recently and i got to share that whiskey with them. Very popular, thanks again.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I know little to nothing about civics, racecars or suspension but I read along eagerly, it's fascinating.

Ask away. I love explaining the theory behind this stuff.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I love this thread and I want to get a track slut Civic one day.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

honda whisperer posted:

Never tried turbo civic life myself. I've worked on and driven a ton though. Weird how a car can roll through a friend group. For a while my DD was an EG hatch that I was the third owner of without it changing where it parked.

It's weird because I know that's happening because I do the same thing but brains are dumb.

Some of my friends finished their vaccines recently and i got to share that whiskey with them. Very popular, thanks again.

They're fun as gently caress. I'm glad I sold mine because it was definitely jail bait.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Jesus it's been a year since I started this.

Did an oil change on the compressor. Sparkly. Not exciting, but glad I remembered to check.

On b16 swapped efs and crxs the frame rail wants to ride the alternator pulley. Before the last removal I marked where it was. Initial plan was to cut and weld but I kept mulling it over and I'm worried I'll never get a coating on the backside of those welds. Seems like a bad place for rust. So I hit it with a hammer a bunch. Not as neat as it could be but probably less traumatic for the car overall.

It will probably want more but the engine will be in and out a few more times at least.

Time to put some weight on it.

Engine goes up.

Engine comes down.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Woop! Engine in engine bay!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Woop! Engine in engine bay!

Feels good. Sitting in front of the tv getting ready to order some new widgets to put that to use.

Time in garage the next goal is to set the ride height and setup the rear sway bar. Everything seems to take forever to ship so time get fuel system bits on their way while I work on that.

Also figured it was time to update the list in the op.

Stuff I have to do

Bold is new

Brakes - check rules and choose what to run
-Measure those brakes
-Select master cylinder
-Select brake bias setup
-Order parts and fit
-Run brake lines
-get pads and rotors and ????
-build brake cooling ducts
-get parker store to make braided lines
-rebuild calipers i bought
-buy rear pads
-get mounting hardware for booster delete

Fuel
-Decide if used tanks are workable / order new tank
-Mount tank
-Make access panel so I don't have to drop the tank to get at the pump
-Pick and mount fuel filter
-Run fuel send and return
-Roll over valve
sort fuel pump

Safety
-Pick and mount kill switch
-Pick and mount fire suppression
-Pick and mount window net
-Pick and install belts
-Add passenger seat for instructor (and probably window net too)
-fancy mirror
-tow hooks
-seat back braces

Suspension
-Decide what I want to buy for all of this
-Bushings
-shocks/coil overs/spring selection
-rehab sway bars I have
mount new rear sway bar
-order wheel bearings/hubs/tie rods/ball joints
-wheel studs
-toe/camber bits more easily adjustable than stock
-fix captive nut for RR toe link
-drill out busted bolts on rear spindles
-install rear suspension
-alignment and corner balance

Body
-Mount everything and make it suck less
-Paint
-Get windshield installed
-Stickers!

Engine/Drivetrain
-Timing belt, water pump, tensioner
-get an obd1 dizzy
-mount ecu
-design wiring
-mil connector at firewall?
-solid state setup?
-datalogging/dash?
-axles
-hondata
-dyno tune
-header/exhaust
-intake
-cooling system at least partially
-ducting the radiator I bought
-oil cooler

Misc
-Defroster something. Rain sucks. Blind in the rain suck harder.
-Cool suit / air something?

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Keep up the great work!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

honda whisperer posted:

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it.

honda whisperer posted:

-Defroster something. Rain sucks. Blind in the rain suck harder.

Can you just run the vents on heat? Might get a little warm in the car if you do that though.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

builds character posted:

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it.

Can you just run the vents on heat? Might get a little warm in the car if you do that though.

If a race car retains the dash and whatnot then this is what they do. I've torn all that out though. Adapting that to mesh with a cage is a nightmare or you skimp on the cage. Honda challenge has really really open cage rules and I want to take advantage.

It's easier for me to build my own setup than to adapt the factory parts though. Someone linked an awesome little heater core + blower earlier in the thread I'll probably buy that and just add some ducts. This will still be running the vents on heat, just with more steps.

Got home and saw some bird dive bombed my car so time for a bath.

That done I started on the rear sway bar. I've got some brackets from the suspension techniques bar I used to use so easy place to build from. I made a quick model in fusion. Picking up a laptop so I don't have to run in and out of the house was a good call. I'll need it for tuning / data logs / GoPro etc in the future too.

To this Ill attach the bushing bracket things that came with the sway bar kit. The supplier lasered their website on the back, I checked there and they linked to McMaster Carr models. Oh hell yes.

McMaster has 3d models of almost every part they sell. Fusion even let's you browse and directly import any of them so an amazing resource.

Roughly bolted together, will need to put some more planning in tomorrow.

Definitely going to have to make new brackets, what I've got interferes with the body work.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Excuse my density but that seems to connect to a bracket on the chassis and not the rear suspension? Phone screen posting so maybe I'm missing something. Or that's just mock up most likely?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Excuse my density but that seems to connect to a bracket on the chassis and not the rear suspension? Phone screen posting so maybe I'm missing something.

You're correct. There are arms not in the pic that will connect the tube to the lcas but the tube itself will be supported by brackets on the unibody.

It's actually a great thing for me as 92+ civics need heavy reinforcement to the rear subframe to keep big sway bars from tearing the sheet metal out. 89-91 attach to a bracket where the rear factory tow hooks go and are quite strong.

Edit: the missing arms are because it's a 3 piece sway bar.

honda whisperer fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 14, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ok that makes more sense. Otherwise, it's a cool chassis brace. :)

3 piece meaning the kind with splines on the end? Seen that on some fancy custom stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Exactly. This is all new to me, I'm used to buy big normal sway bar, bolt on per instructions. I'll probably effort post about it tonight so goons can double check that I'm understanding it correctly.