Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My issue with Space Truckers is that I was much, much more interested in the world of the space truckers than I was in the secret shipment of killer robots plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Anyway, everybody watch Robot Jox.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What' every ones top choice for 90s horror. Its kind of a desolute wasteland. You've got the stand out being Bram Stoker's Dracula which is so loving good.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Candyman

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

There's a lot of great horror in the '90s; Audition, Braindead, Exorcist III. Top for me though is Singapore Sling, which I will sing the praises of until everyone in CineD has watched it twice.

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 14, 2021

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

What' every ones top choice for 90s horror. Its kind of a desolute wasteland. You've got the stand out being Bram Stoker's Dracula which is so loving good.

“Do you read Sutter Cane?”

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Hollismason posted:

From Dusk Till Dawn
Bride of Chucky
Blair Witch Project
Event Horizon
Scream
Dee Snider's STRANGELAND

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Tremors is a clear #1 for me. Then Audition, Ring, Scream, and Blair Witch.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Hollismason posted:

there's some great stuff in the 90s!

Cure
In The Mouth of Madness
Species
Body Melt
Misery
Jacob's Ladder
Body Snatchers (the Ferrara one)

you have arguably the most "critically acclaimed" horror/thriller Silence Of The Lambs in there too, as well as Se7en

to answer the question:
i think my current favorite would be Cure, it's just unreal and there's not really anything else like it, but the one i've watched most is Event Horizon. i just get psyched seeing Larry Fishburne say gently caress THIS SHIP every time

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 14, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
What everybody else said, and Body Bags and Tales From the Hood. Savini's Night of the Living Dead came out in '90 so you can count that too. As for my "top" that's a hard choice between Exorcist III and Candyman, but I'd have to go with Candyman.
Or Misery, drat...

Plus there was the Tales From the Crypt series. That was my go-to for 90s horror, when I wasn't renting 80s horror on VHS.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have Candyman #1. It's definitely a decade I remember fondly because I was 6 years old in 1990 so I grew up with a lot of these movies.

https://letterboxd.com/basebf555/list/best-horror-of-the-90s/

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's funny how "90s was a horror wasteland" feels less true to me now then it did like 5 years ago

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

also everybody's favorite alien movie, ALI3N

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'll add Cemetery Man and Ghostwatch to all that. Arachnophobia and When a Stranger Calls Back are fun too. Oh, and Death Becomes Her.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MacheteZombie posted:

It's funny how "90s was a horror wasteland" feels less true to me now then it did like 5 years ago

Every decade seems like a step down from Horror and Action compared to the 80s, for sheer volume alone.

I'll never change my mind about the 2000s being the nadir of horror.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

also the 90s was the era of The X Files which is still my favorite tv show probably ever

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Only thing that changes from decade to decade is the tone of the movies being made but that’s a culturally wide thing in regards to art being produced but that’s also how taste and personality develops as you’re exposed to things older than you and what’s available at the time. Kids born in the 90’s coming into 2000’s horror will have an exceptionally different take on it’s development and releases than someone born in the 70’s or 80’s and what they grew up on. The 2000’s is no less exciting developmentally than any other decade. They all had their cultural shifts and violent upheavals that shaped what was created within those time periods and then you get creators cribbing and skewing their own childhoods in the development of projects within those decades and it’s just a soup of a different flavor.

There’s a lot of poo poo in each decade just as much as there’s the gems. You won’t be able to see the full picture without using the right lense.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The Blair Witch Project is one of my favourite films ever. I think it came out at the exact right time for me.

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah, I used to dismiss the decade, but in recent years, I have come around to it. I have even come around to the teen slashers. Like, apparently I rated Urban Legend really low, but I remember having a lot of fun with it. What the hell was I thinking?

alf_pogs posted:

also the 90s was the era of The X Files which is still my favorite tv show probably ever

Also, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, and to a much lesser extent, Goosebumps.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think the more horror movies you watch, the more you come to enjoy absolute trash. like we all start out wishing everything was The Thing or Hereditary or Alien, but soon enough you're watching Saw 5 and saying, absolute loving garbage full of can't-act nobodies, can't wait to watch it again, 5 stars.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The 90s is just kind of horror light even though there is a lot of good stuff. I made a list of my favorite spooky movie per year, and while everything has a good movie, some years there is very little competition.

Child's play 2--1900
The People Under the Stairs-1991
Candyman--1992
Addams Family Values--1993
Cemetery Man--1994
Tales from the Hood--1995
Scream--1996
Perfect Blue-1997
Blade-1998
The Blair Witch Project--1999

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Addams Family Values--1993

Wikipedia says Needful Things was 93, how was that?

Carnosaur was also 93 and that had Kaiden from Mass Effect fighting a mutant chicken with a Bobcat... I remember renting it in 94 and thinking it was crap but also kind of awesome

Also lol that it got closer to how you would actually create non-avian dinosaurs than Jurassic Park did

As for the Addamses, while they are creepy, kooky, mysterious and spooky, the closest that movie gets to scary is what Wednesday does to the extremely honkey summer camp, and fuckin good on her for that one, I say

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm looking at my top rated films from the 2000s and they all rule. I'd say it has the highest proportion of non-American films of any decade. American-made horror was in a bad place but the UK, France and Japan were making great films

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Phy posted:

Wikipedia says Needful Things was 93, how was that?
Not better than Addams Family Values? What type of question is this?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

you could do a pretty fun animal horror 90s night with anaconda, arachnophobia, lake placid and deep blue sea.

or heck get monstrous with it and chuck Mimic and The Relic in there as well

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

you could do a pretty fun animal horror 90s night with anaconda, arachnophobia, lake placid and deep blue sea.

Ha, looked up if there was anything else good and remembered that I rented Bats with my grandma in '99. Can't imagine that was a good movie, but I remember liking it when I was twelve.

I remember having fun with Ticks and Mosquito as well.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I legit loved the last decade (the 2010s) of horror. I don't think it's because of lowered expectations from the 2000s/the era of PG remakes either (though I really don't think I even necessarily Hated that era so much as it just had some of my least-favorite films). Every year had at least a few things I still rewatch and love. Per wiki, and almost certainly still incomplete/missing stuff:

2010: Black Swan, Let Me In, Rubber, Tucker & Dale vs Evil
2011: Final Destination 5, Fright Night, You're Next
2012: Cabin in the Woods, Excision, Lords of Salem
2013: Evil Dead, The Conjuring, Under the Skin
2014: The Babadook, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, It Follows, The Purge: Anarchy
2015: Crimson Peak, The Final Girls, Krampus, The Witch, We Are Still Here
2016: Antibirth, Autopsy of Jane Doe, Eyes of My Mother, The Love Witch, Neon Demon, Ouija: Origin of Evil, Raw, Train to Busan, The Void
2017: Annabelle Creation, The Babysitter, Happy Death Day, Get Out, mother!, Killing of a Sacred Deer
2018: Annihilation, Cam, Climax, The First Purge, Halloween 2018, Hereditary, In Fabric, Suspiria 2018, Upgrade
2019: Midsommar, Doctor Sleep, Happy Death Day 2U, Ready or Not, The Lighthouse, The Perfection, Crawl, Us

I'm not gonna say it's my fav decade of course, but up there for sure

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

alf_pogs posted:

Or a fun cyber horror 90s night with Brainscan, eXistenZ, and the Lawnmower Man.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Not better than Addams Family Values? What type of question is this?

Alright, fair enough!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Bram Stoker's Dracula is easily my favorite 90s horror movie and its sooo good. All those in camera special effects and practical effects.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

That new purge trailer looks like the same style of bullshit they used to sell 3 from hell.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Tarnop posted:

I'm looking at my top rated films from the 2000s and they all rule. I'd say it has the highest proportion of non-American films of any decade. American-made horror was in a bad place but the UK, France and Japan were making great films

:agreed:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think 2000s in horror is all about the internet making international films super accessible. All my positive memories from that era is stuff like hearing about and watching films like Ringu, Rec, and High Tension on my computer.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
You had that brief period of French New Wave horror that was really good and then you had S. Korean horror as well. The 2000s definitely belong to foreign horror.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

You had that brief period of French New Wave horror that was really good and then you had S. Korean horror as well. The 2000s definitely belong to foreign horror.
Even outside of non-English language stuff you have a pretty strong British showing: 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, The Hole, The Descent, Dog Soldiers...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

There's a lot of great horror in the '90s; Audition, Braindead, Exorcist III. Top for me though is Singapore Sling, which I will sing the praises of until everyone in CineD has watched it twice.

That's an outstanding flick I haven't seen folks mention for a long time, everyone should see it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Even outside of non-English language stuff you have a pretty strong British showing: 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, The Hole, The Descent, Dog Soldiers...

Yeah that whole period was great for foreign horror, I can't even remember any US horror movies from the 2000s.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that whole period was great for foreign horror, I can't even remember any US horror movies from the 2000s.

it's not great. Hostel, Saw, uh... 13 Ghosts? Snyder's Dawn of the Dead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spiral is OK! Not great. Maybe not worth a theater run tbh. It’s a saw movie. The traps are neat but not going insane like 3-7 did. Pretty gory.

Also every one who dies is a cop so you don’t ever have to feel bad. It says stuff about cops, but I’ll let someone else jump on that.

I think I was just happy to see a new movie in theaters again.

Chris Rock is not a great actor lmao

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

it's not great. Hostel, Saw, uh... 13 Ghosts? Snyder's Dawn of the Dead.

The best I can think of are things like House of 1000 Corpses, Inland Empire, Slither, and Bug, and they're definitely more the exceptions that proved the rule, rather than a fair cross-section of the genre in that particular place and time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Evil Bong