Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Thanks for all the advice people :)

Skwirl posted:

Again it goes into more Romance but the early Laurel K Hamilton Anita Blake books she does everything on her own, but she does have magic powers, but her magic powers don't help her much, it's just what makes her attractive to various vampires and werewolves.

I actually love the early Anita Blake books because while she does have some magic. It's overwhelmingly not useful in a fight. She has to navigate her way through super natural politicking with skill and guile because any of these strung out vampire street-kid minions could rip her apart.

She also has to work around the police who don't trust her so she has to trick them and sneak around them to solve crimes.

In the later books she's probably the most powerful being on the planet. But she's also really wealthy and can call on a private army of well armed soldier/mercenary were-animals.

She's also a "federal marshal" to boot. So she flashes her cop badge to brow beat people.

There was also never any disadvantages to balance out her powers. She has vampire powers but was immune to sunlight and silver. She is apparently all were-animals in a single person but never had to worry about shape shifting.

The story had very interesting side characters who struggled with these things but Anita gets it all for "free"

Feliday Melody has a new favorite as of 06:03 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Feliday Melody posted:

Thanks for all the advice people :)

I actually love the early Anita Blake books because while she does have some magic. It's overwhelmingly not useful in a fight. She has to navigate her way through super natural politicking with skill and guile because any of these strung out vampire street-kid minions could rip her apart.

She also has to work around the police who don't trust her so she has to trick them and sneak around them to solve crimes.

In the later books she's probably the most powerful being on the planet. But she's also really wealthy and can call on a private army of well armed soldier/mercenary were-animals.

She's also a "federal marshal" to boot. So she flashes her cop badge to brow beat people.

Yeah, I lost the thread when she hosed like three different were creatures in a single chapter.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I lost the thread when she hosed like three different were creatures in a single chapter.

As someone who powered through in hopes that the series would get better later on: You're going to have to be way more specific :v:

I remember one of the later books they had to defeat this master vampire that was basically indestructible because he could make himself and other people rot instantly. But also heal it without consequence.

So Anita makes this plan where they assemble military teams with flame throwers to burn him. And they chase him with a freaking helicopter and then one of the teams catch him and burns him up and he dies exactly as the original plan intended and the book ends there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Feliday Melody posted:

As someone who powered through in hopes that the series would get better later on: You're going to have to be way more specific :v:

One of them was a were jaguar I think?

It was the one after the book where she went and hung out with Ned the serial killer and his secret family. (that one was pretty good)

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Skwirl posted:

One of them was a were jaguar I think?

It was the one after the book where she went and hung out with Ned the serial killer and his secret family. (that one was pretty good)

I loved Ned (Ted?)

I think the first full books with him had a villain that had been turned into a wereswan or some other bird. And he (The swan) was really angry because he didn't get to be a cool animal and all the other were-animals pushed him around because he was completely harmless.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

I loved Ned (Ted?)

I think the first full books with him had a villain that had been turned into a wereswan or some other bird. And he (The swan) was really angry because he didn't get to be a cool animal and all the other were-animals pushed him around because he was completely harmless.

Oh god, yeah the wereswan.

Ehh, I think being a wereswan would be loving awesome, I think it still included the almost instant healing from any injury when in human form powers that all the were creatures had, and then either once a month or whenever you feel like it (I can't really remember the rules in those books) you can loving fly.

Turning into a wolf or a jaguar or some other predator sounds cool, but isn't very practical if you live in a city, being able to loving fly sounds goddamn awesome.

Edit: yeah, if I was gonna be turned into some sort of werethingie, wereswan would be a top choice, or some other sort of werebird.

Air Skwirl has a new favorite as of 06:26 on May 14, 2021

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
It's not a goose, but a swan will also try to gently caress you up

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Skwirl posted:

The number of people who listen to RATM without ever actually listening to any of the lyrics loving astounds me. They're Paul Ryan's favorite band for gently caress's sake.

I've got a co-worker who did whole the "RATM used to be so cool when I was younger, why'd they have to get so political" thing when they came on the radio while we were driving somewhere. The look on his face when I told him "Man, we're the same age. This song came out when we were in high school. Nothing's changed but you." was pretty loving great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Aren't swans bigger?

Also, If I was in the UK no one could kill me in swan form under penalty of the crown.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Being a wereswan would loving kick rear end. Huge, tough, can fly, roam around parks harassing picnickers and stealing their sandwiches, have a nap on the water while you digest.

People see a wolf or a big cat, yeah, that'll get attention. If they see a swan, they'll go OH LOOK AT THE SWAN and then probably stay out of your way.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Khizan posted:

I've got a co-worker who did whole the "RATM used to be so cool when I was younger, why'd they have to get so political" thing when they came on the radio while we were driving somewhere. The look on his face when I told him "Man, we're the same age. This song came out when we were in high school. Nothing's changed but you." was pretty loving great.

A lot of dumdums act like politics were invented when they first noticed it. Trump was the first president to ever be criticized or made fun of in late night shows, Anita Saarkesian and Zoe Quinn invented girl representation in media as a communist plot, pro- or anti-war media isn't political for some reason, etc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm stealing this from someone else, but I don't remember who.

RATM at 15: This loving rocks
RATM at 25: It's good music but their politics are a little simplistic
RATM at 35: You know what some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What's weirder: chuds who don't listen to the lyrics, or chuds who do listen to the lyrics and think the lyrics agree with them?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

What's weirder: chuds who don't listen to the lyrics, or chuds who do listen to the lyrics and think the lyrics agree with them?

The latter, I like a lot of media I don't agree with the politics of. I'm not gonna try and put a leftist spin on Death Wish.

I kinda have a leftist spin on Dirty Harry, but it's mostly just pointing out when he tortures the dude to find the girl he kidnapped she still dies and the torture means he gets let out of jail and kills other people.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
"Some of those that work forces Are the same that burn crosses" was not intended as a shoutout

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Have you all considered the werehorse. Not a man that becomes a horse, rather a horse that becomes a wolf every full moon. Now there's a murder mystery!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Have you all considered the werehorse. Not a man that becomes a horse, rather a horse that becomes a wolf every full moon. Now there's a murder mystery!

"were" means man. You aren't describing a werehorse, you are describing a horsewolf.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

YggiDee posted:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Sanguinary Novel posted:

A side effect of covid is that hundreds of idiots stopped feeding the Canada goose infestation in my area like they were adorable ducks or something “and here’s one for you” “hissssssss”, there were thousands and thousands of the drat things in the Chesterfield/Rotherham area, and now they’ve all flown off, and adorable swan parings have come back. The actual soil layer of compressed goose poo poo in our parks still remains though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

learnincurve posted:

A side effect of covid is that hundreds of idiots stopped feeding the Canada goose infestation in my area like they were adorable ducks or something “and here’s one for you” “hissssssss”, there were thousands and thousands of the drat things in the Chesterfield/Rotherham area, and now they’ve all flown off, and adorable swan parings have come back. The actual soil layer of compressed goose poo poo in our parks still remains though.

What kinda loving psychopath feeds Canadian Geese? I live where they are common and most people who have an opinion about them are pissed that it's illegal to shoot them.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

"Some of those that work forces Are the same that burn crosses" was not intended as a shoutout

tbf, maybe they didn't know what "those that work forces" was supposed to mean. I didn't until like last year

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Skwirl posted:

I'm stealing this from someone else, but I don't remember who.

RATM at 15: This loving rocks
RATM at 25: It's good music but their politics are a little simplistic
RATM at 35: You know what some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses

Totally this. Songs like No Shelter have gone from "this is what school won't teach you" to "I am actively teaching this to students".

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Skwirl posted:

The latter, I like a lot of media I don't agree with the politics of. I'm not gonna try and put a leftist spin on Death Wish.
As someone who doesn't watch anime... Death Note is right-wing?
e: wow gently caress i'm an idiot, leaving this up even though it's embarrassing
eat the shame

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Skwirl posted:

What kinda loving psychopath feeds Canadian Geese? I live where they are common and most people who have an opinion about them are pissed that it's illegal to shoot them.

It’s not just the ends of sandwiches either, it’s people bringing down actual bags of bread for them - it’s like a ritual for a lot of British people, yeh the geese chased away the ducks but let’s go the park and feed the birds - I knew a not the idiot guy who moved his chickens next to a local Cricket pitch then sold bags of corn at matches to throw to the birds.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skwirl posted:

I mean, people appeased Hitler so I guess it makes sense they'd try to appease the avian equivalent.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean, people appeased Hitler so I guess it makes sense they'd try to appease the avian equivalent.

Is that what goose-stepping means?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like geese, they are my spirit animal. I feel a powerful affinity for a creature that just threatens people until they give it food.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

OwlFancier posted:

I like geese, they are my spirit animal. I feel a powerful affinity for a creature that just threatens people until they give it food.

If they will not give you work, demand bread

If they will not give you work or bread, charge at them with your head low and wings spread while hissing and take their sandwiches

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

If they will not give you work or bread, charge at them with your head low and wings spread while hissing and take their sandwiches

This is praxis

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Probably won't work with a goose named Gwyneth Paltrow

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There's a whole generation of people who listened to rage against the machine before they were old enough to understand it and to this day think "gently caress you I won't do what you tell me" is about their moms making them clean their rooms

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't know what "those who work forces" meant but I definitely got the impression that they did not think burning crosses was a good thing.

The machine against which they are raging is not the vending machine.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Skwirl posted:

One of the simple pleasures in my life is occasionally finding a walking surface outside my apartment that isn’t covered in goose poo poo.

Where I live we pretty much treat the Canada Geese like the raccoons on Parks and Recreation: they have their side of town and we have ours.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

One of my earliest memories is my mother trying to feed a Twinkie to a goose at a campsite and having the absolute poo poo bitten out of her hand for her trouble.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

There is no worse type of Small Business Tyrant than restaurant owners.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pastry of the Year posted:

One of my earliest memories is my mother trying to feed a Twinkie to a goose at a campsite and having the absolute poo poo bitten out of her hand for her trouble.

A Gøøse once bit my sister.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nucleic Acids posted:

There is no worse type of Small Business Tyrant than restaurant owners.

I wonder whether Kitchen Nightmares made this better or worse. He set out to shame the Amy's Baking Companys of the world and probably a whole generation of viewers looked at it and said "Well I would do it better than that, I know what I'm doing :smuggo:"

I mean while we're on the topic of people taking the wrong lesson from media

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
hatred of canadian geese is like hatred of seagulls: arbitrary. People just decide they have a RACIAL HATRED: GEESE modifier and then spend the rest of their life complaining about them

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Skwirl posted:

The number of people who listen to RATM without ever actually listening to any of the lyrics loving astounds me. They're Paul Ryan's favorite band for gently caress's sake.

gently caress you, I'll do exactly what you tell me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still haven't gotten over that video of a seagull eating an entire rabbit without chewing.

Absolutely majestic birds.