Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sounds like that Cessna pilot saw it all, wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

moparacker posted:

On topic of learning from other pilots; there's a new NTSB report about when woodland river critters fly.

2019 Beaver/Otter midair collision from 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT1omo5jBqs

Um... Topical! I just watched this in the morning and later came home to the KAPA midair news.

Well I guess you could call this one a successful midair collision?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Really feels like they expected the Cirrus to line up behind Key Lime. Did the tower have a scope in front of them, they must have.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

cargo jet

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The jet turns the propeller! :pseudo:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

*narrators voice* "six months later that aircraft was back on the line flying freight"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

hobbesmaster posted:

The jet turns the propeller! :pseudo:
Excuse me, I'm busy booking reservations for my next flight on a Dash-8 jet

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

These are some remarkable photos. From https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/plane-collision-crash-cherry-creek-reservoir/73-79563af1-af84-482c-b3f8-f9b40d9378eb

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

ArcMage posted:

Really feels like they expected the Cirrus to line up behind Key Lime. Did the tower have a scope in front of them, they must have.
Parallel runways.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Charles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5tb2dVWJqc

Vasaviation animation up. OK so Cirrus overshot the parallel runway, but the Key Lime was only advised of the Cessna? Not sure if that's a factor. Is doing nearly a 180 into a parallel runway normal? Also Key Lime just thought he had an engine failure, wow.

Seems like a standard right hand pattern until the Cirrus overshot the turn to final.

I think the one tower controller did warn the Cirrus about the Key Lime too but the other controller didn't do the same. Cirrus should have been looking for both but as that Alaska crash video shows, see and avoid isn't perfect. And controllers didn't help as there were no further traffic alerts as they got closer.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Zero One posted:

Seems like a standard right hand pattern until the Cirrus overshot the turn to final.

I think the one tower controller did warn the Cirrus about the Key Lime too but the other controller didn't do the same. Cirrus should have been looking for both but as that Alaska crash video shows, see and avoid isn't perfect. And controllers didn't help as there were no further traffic alerts as they got closer.

Well, at least it's a teachable moment.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
It kinda looks like the Cirrus tailboom and control surfaces are all intact before hitting the ground under parachute. Second guessing time: coulda landed it!

Also for your consideration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xQSbTrmuko&t=116s

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

It kinda looks like the Cirrus tailboom and control surfaces are all intact before hitting the ground under parachute. Second guessing time: coulda landed it!

"Traffic to follow" :hmmyes:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cirrus says CAPS deployment is only “STRONGLY RECOMMENDED “ after a midair! :thunk:

https://cirrusaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/CAPS_Guide.pdf

on a more serious note half that document can be summed up as “pull the drat handle”

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 13, 2021

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
After reading the advertising material I'm going to tell my commander we need to hire Cirrus to install CAPS (tm) on our helicopters. A fully loaded helicopter under a 422 foot diameter chute should hit the ground at only 20fps.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I think you'd have to convince Cirrus to make helicopters before they install the Cirrus Airframe Parachute System on them.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
e: didn't notice how far back in the thread post I was quoting was

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

on a more serious note half that document can be summed up as “pull the drat handle”

Aeronautical Insanity 2021 : “pull the drat handle”

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Painting your fleet of Fairchilds "camouflage green" (as someone else called it) does not seem helpful for see-and-avoid VFR flying.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Arson Daily posted:

*narrators voice* "six months later that aircraft was back on the line flying freight"

Almost certainly. Airframe inspection, replace the whole tube section with a splice out of the metroliner boneyard, and that'll fly again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How much speed tape to fix it?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Cojawfee posted:

How much speed tape to fix it?

Speed tape? It already has a super effective Speed Hole

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

buttcrackmenace posted:

Aeronautical Insanity 2021 : “pull the drat handle”

I recall that that was the big lesson they learned from the early days when the parachute looked like it wasn't saving as many people as they'd predicted. People were using it as a last resort and only pulling it after they'd tried everything else, when the plane had gotten too low for a proper deployment.

They changed the training to emphasize pulling the chute as one of the first steps in recovery, and to try to get people to verbalize "the chute is armed and I will use it promptly if I find myself in trouble" as part of their takeoff briefing, and apparently that helped.

Yeah deploying the chute does total a $600,000 airplane but hey, that's what your insurance is for. Not like you care about money anyway mr. 7 figures a year at google cirrus owner

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

PainterofCrap posted:

Somewhere is a video of a small crew starting one up & flying off in it. Based on the foliage around it, it had been sitting for at least a year.

Ah, here’s an updated version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy0GMyfGu6s

Somewhat surprised that it doesn’t catch fire.

I choose to believe they fired it up and moved it just so they could mow that patch of grass its been sitting on for months.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

slidebite posted:

:monocle:

And no injuries. Nice.

snipped pic

Is it just me, or has the tail gathered a noticeable droop...

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Looking at the pictures I can only imagine that boomer Facebook aviation group I joined bitch and moan how the cirrus pilot wasn't manly enough to die with their plane

E: due to Europe sucking at covid I still haven't had my drat plane lessons :(

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 14, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Cable Guy posted:

That's not just you

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cable Guy posted:

I’m really having trouble figuring out how that collision worked with the damage to the planes.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I was assuming Cirrus prop to the Fairchild's fuselage because I can't imagine any other way that damage could happen and have the Cirrus still resemble a plane

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Seeing some damage on the tail of the metro makes me think the gear went through the fuselage and maybe a wing clipped the tail

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Gear strike was my thought too. Then the airflow tore the side off.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
did a good number on the leading edge of the vertical stab as well

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maksimus54 posted:

Seeing some damage on the tail of the metro makes me think the gear went through the fuselage and maybe a wing clipped the tail

I can kinda see that, the cirrus was in a right hand bank while the metroliner was already lined up. The cirrus would've impacted from the metroliner's right. So if we follow that, the landing gear went through the fuselage and the left wing clipped the tail. But... wouldn't the right wing have also impacted the forward fuselage?

I guess I'll have to wait for the NTSB report.

vvv cirruses have to have gopros in them, right? maybe the ntsb has it

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 14, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The lack of dashcam footage is bullshit.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Didn't somebody say the Cessna was on their first solo? Seems like people film those a lot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's a shame that guy didn't bring a go pro for his solo flight.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Solo flights: 1

Successful solo landings: 0

Not a great start to the log book.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Advent Horizon posted:

Solo flights: 1

Successful solo landings: 0

Not a great start to the log book.

The dude who was solo did just fine. It was the cirrus that hosed up.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

My bad, I thought Charles typo’d Cessna instead of Cirrus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Really that’s why I GoPro most of my flights. It’s not like I’m doing anything worth sharing, but if someone wants to gently caress up in front of me…