Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Chrom1um posted:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about things.

I believe the reason they don't prioritize fixing the things that are truly broken is because CIG has locked themelves into a physics engine that is clearly and completely broken and unsuitable to an MMO. It is still a re-skinned Cryengine. The recommended total map size on Cryengine V is not recommended by Crytek to be represented as more than about 4 km wide. Larger than that and you create collision issues and weird movement issues. Star Citizen appears to have scaled their maps up to hundreds of miles wide, if not thousands, so everything you're seeing on screen is actually microscopic as far as the engine is concerned, and the collision detection on these ships behaves the way much smaller objects would when they collide. So any sense of mass or inertia in these spaceships is basically gone, and fatal collision issues are a non-stop occurrence because it seems every surface in the game is supposed to have collision detection.

It should have occurred to CIG very, very early on to switch physics engines and for some reason they didn't, they simply locked themselves into this one and piled more problems on it. They built a pretty house on a quicksand foundation and kept building it taller and taller. Meanwhile it's still a pretty house, but not much prettier than its neighbors anymore and also completely unlivable.

On the fly "server meshing" was supposed to work around this, but if there was a possibility that this would work we'd have seen evidence of that by now.

So in short they really need to change their game engine or they will never be able to make this a real working game.

There are two ways they could do this. First, they could develop a separate game in parallel with the current one and then just import all the art assets and everyone's character data and ships, but CIG appears to have severe manpower issues and also severe management issues, and this would require a brilliant team leader and not a narcissistic moron.

The other possibility is that they could shut down the game for as long as it takes to switch to something viable (this would not fix optimization issues but could solve the #1 problem with this game), and they could do that with the people they have, but that could mean shutting down the server for 6 months or more. Their lifeline of whales could dry up in that time.

Failing either of these things, there are simple fixes that could improve optimization like allowing some benign object clipping by massively cutting down on collision detecting (you'd get more FPS and far fewer explosions) and also instancing zones more. Chris Roberts does not seem to want to do these things and seems to think this is something that can be solved with money or something that can be ignored.

Meanwhile adding new rooms like fancy bathrooms in their ship environments is a lot easier and something they can do with the staff at hand and then make money. Like over half their team are artists right now anyway. Then they can turn around and sell more ships to the gullible and keep their revenue up.

No, no. CIG claims to have implemented a 64b double precision coordinates system in the engine. Not sure it is true, but even if it is, the end result really really really sucks balls.

e (sound):
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GranularBelatedAfricanaugurbuzzard-mobile.mp4

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Kikas posted:

Oh, so they didn't actually shrink everything 200 times but the map is so big the engine interpretes it so? Cool.
Because I was just about to ask about the source of the "Star Citizen is actually tiny in-engine" because a buddy asked me about it and I'm wondering if this is thread rumor or speculation or did we get some confirmation about this?

From memory the engine is still 32 bit not a true 64 bit application. Their x64 bit involved changing heaps of doubles to floats to allow them to scale everything down by a thousand to fit in the map.

The evidence for this was you could display the Units in some early versions and when it was first released they forgot to scale down footprints so you could almost see them from space.

Also collision and ramps has been borked ever scince the 64 bit part came out.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

DigitalPenny posted:

From memory the engine is still 32 bit not a true 64 bit application. Their x64 bit involved changing heaps of doubles to floats to allow them to scale everything down by a thousand to fit in the map.

The evidence for this was you could display the Units in some early versions and when it was first released they forgot to scale down footprints so you could almost see them from space.

That is insanely hacky....not in a good way either.

No wonder things are breaking all over the place.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

This seems like the most appropriate thread to ask. Are there any good, stable fan remakes or remasters or projects to redo any of the original Wing Commander games out there that are completed and not in limbo eternally

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

khy posted:

This seems like the most appropriate thread to ask. Are there any good, stable fan remakes or remasters or projects to redo any of the original Wing Commander games out there that are completed and not in limbo eternally

Ooooh I was about to give like three but then you added the last part of that sentence

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

tuo posted:

I think you posted this to the wrong tab, the internal Turbulent Discord is the other one

We use Slack actually.

Wait. gently caress

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021
I think we should rename space lot lizards hangar hyenas.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I've been reading up on Star Citizen a bit after not thinking about it for a few years. I was pessimistic about the game when I stopped paying attention, and checking up, I'm still disappointed in what little progress has been made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reSf3-Es1oA

I admit, the 890 looks cool, but where's the drat game around it?

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

I feel like you should probably buy an Idris.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

:cumpolice: RED ALER, STAR CITIZEN IS GETTING A JAPANESE RELEASE :cumpolice:

https://twitter.com/richardnotnice/status/1392865958239236097

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ending up as a pachinko game would be a fitting punishment and end for SC.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

punishedkissinger posted:

The subreddit tells me it can be used to destroy prison turrets

But doesn't that just give you a crime stat and cause you to be immediately teleported into prison when your tank explodes due to 'secret undisclosed anti-tank mines'?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

khy posted:

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is the closest thing you're get to that these days.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It was Thursday, and that means it's time for another episode of
:siren:INSIDE STAR CITIZEN:siren:
the show so pointless I skipped recapping it for a month and didn't miss anything!

In today's episode:
* We open with the usual dev babble about <new thing>. "We hope that <new thing> will make the combat situation more dynamic." Oh, word?

* Today <new thing> is actually <Elite Dangerous thing> i.e. capacitors i.e. the little bar in your ship hud in Elite that goes down as your systems claim more juice.

* They are really trying to put a bow on this. It's going to make combat more interesting! You'll do more than just put your gun on a target! We just now noticed after 9 years that things feel a little stiff with the ol' space combat! Oh, maneuvering is pointless due to 0-foot turn radii and lag turns every NPC fight into a joust? Anyway here's some trivial doodads that every other space game has always had. INNOVATION.

* While they're talking all of this up they're showing poo poo like the player having to pause the fight hanging upside down in mid-air, go to freelook mode, and find a HUD on the bottom left of the screen in order to adjust overclock settings on weapons. Maybe work on that? No? Ok.

* "Imagine you have a pool of... energy on a ship. And you can choose... where this energy goes." YEAH GOSH WOWEE WHAT A loving CONCEPT I CAN HARDLY IMAGINE. "I'm very convinced that this is the interesting part where dogfighting will get really exciting again." HAHA NOPE

* I like that they're showing that there will be a capacitor for maneuvering thrusters as well as weapons. Why? Literally every ship can spin on a loving dime! Your own video that you are playing in the background of your babbling shows this over and over again!

* Here comes the caveats. "It's a very complex undertaking. We have to do it right. We need a lot more testing, a lot more balance." When this comes out the bars will clip through your HUD and explode.

* Oops I typed too long and Jared started talking, skip skip skip

* Oh boy "Operator modes" which will define multicrew gameplay going forward. Their intent is to "Give each seat a purpose," wow

* "Operator mode allows us to split out a feature." You mean features like... press button to scan? Press button to mine? Thrilling. "We'll allow the copilot to be in scanning mode while the pilot is in flight mode. So the pilot doesn't have to worry about scanning." Isn't that... isn't that how it is now? Are they just tacitly admitting that has never worked, or are they saying they're about to cripple the single player experience by making stuff like scanning for minerals only operate out of a different chair?

* The first new mode is "Missile operator mode" which is hilarious because missiles don't work, and also they're fully automatic, and this isn't loving changing any of that. They are just taking the existing "Stare at enemy for lock" mechanic and moving it to another seat! There's not even anything for the missile person to do! Okay yeah confirmed they are crippling the single player experience- you can now only use guns or missiles as single player, not both at the same time. CIG I know you are all morons and you don't loving care but holy gently caress stop doing this. The missile operator can't steer the ship to keep a lock! The pilot can't see the missile status! You are crippling both jobs! You are so bad at this!

* Hey Chris finally looked away for long enough that they totally threw away that awful 3D missile lock-on reticle. Remember when that was a big "thing" and also how it never loving worked?

* Oh boy this comes with a complete rework of the missile system, which apparently is going to make the missiles worse? They have limited fuel and can't maneuver to come back after you if they miss. Okay yeah sure whatever gently caress you CIG.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I particularly like the capacitor thing because Store Citizer already has:

System Overclocking
Shield facing/adjustment
Power triangle- shields/weapons/thrusters
Component overheating
IR/EM signatures, tracking, and stealth
Subsystem targeting

Except they put all of that poo poo on the screens that you can't loving see, failed to finish implementing even a single piece of any of it (except the punishments!) and now they've forgotten that any of it exists so here comes another power management system.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but they need to make multicrew ships worthwhile because whales spend hundreds of dollars on them. Sorry if you wanted only bought a starter ship, maybe you should pledge more if you want to compete.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This power management thing is the thing Star Wars Squadrons already does in a simple and Cool and intuitive way with a couple of button taps while I’m flying my X Wing in silky smooth VR right?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

smellmycheese posted:

This power management thing is the thing Star Wars Squadrons already does in a simple and Cool and intuitive way with a couple of button taps while I’m flying my X Wing in silky smooth VR right?

Yes, and Star Citizen also tried to do it years ago with the Power Triangle but somebody bungled the implementation and it turned into "This is where your engine power goes if there isn't enough for everything." CIG of course rewrote history so that this had always been the plan, stuck it in one of the 75 touch screens in every cockpit, and forgot about it. So did the players because if you get shot enough to take engine damage you've probably also lost your thrusters or you're just dead.

So the capacitor system is a reintroduction of a concept they already failed to implement, now going in place on top of the old system, because CIG is an absolute layer cake of bad decisions and failure.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

khy posted:

Privateer: Gemini Gold is complete as far as I know, it was a fork of Privateer Remake (which imho was more interesting adding new ships and stuff when Gemini Gold just aims at being a 1:1 remake) which itself was based on the open source Vega Strike. No idea if it's still available or if it still runs on modern systems though.

smellmycheese posted:

Yeah, that thing that goes back to X-Wing (1993), and was used in every game of the X-Wing series, and has been picked up by Elite Dangerous amongst others. Never done before!

That said, a good idea is a good idea, and that X-Wing power distribution is a great little concept that took the game up a level (interception missions heavily relied on pushing all the power to engine to intercept in time). So while I'm sure they'll make ridiculous claims about it, it's not a bad thing for them to adopt it.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 14, 2021

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Elite Dangerous has really fun pip management during dogfights.

Maybe this game should copy a game that was announced after it but released before it.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Yes, and Star Citizen also tried to do it years ago with the Power Triangle but somebody bungled the implementation and it turned into "This is where your engine power goes if there isn't enough for everything." CIG of course rewrote history so that this had always been the plan, stuck it in one of the 75 touch screens in every cockpit, and forgot about it. So did the players because if you get shot enough to take engine damage you've probably also lost your thrusters or you're just dead.

So the capacitor system is a reintroduction of a concept they already failed to implement, now going in place on top of the old system, because CIG is an absolute layer cake of bad decisions and failure.

You mean all that the power triangle has been all this time is just a prioritization list in case power draw goes down for whatever reason, otherwise all three elements get always 100% irrespective of the triangle selection?

:laffo:

There is always more and it´s always worst

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

DigitalPenny posted:

I tried tracking some of this down, but it's all lost in the mists of time. Would love to see some of that though.

As far as I can figure out floating-point stuff was added late 2015 some time. (Or at least they felt their 'Large World system' was close in May 2015)

Closest I could find on the evidence stuff was this glitch from 2017 though:

https://i.imgur.com/bupkmle.mp4

And the discussion here at the time

quote:

That giant footprint that appears when you shoot the railgun at the ground; the decal itself might be an error, but what I found odd was just how big it was. Then it struck me: Wasn't there a theory that in order to make planets on SC, everything on Cryengine was scaled-down from a normal map size? If so, maybe the footprint isn't big, they just forgot to downscale it?

quote:

This has been my working theory for a long time. Scaling down all game objects is a cheap way to make your levels "bigger," but it has disastrous effects, including breaking collisions (you can clip through things easily because your player character is approaching the collider's error margin), and breaking physics (mass gets screwy and everything tends to behave like balsa wood).

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yes, we don't know for sure but the footprints thing in combination with the Star Marine out-of-scale assets thing is good evidence that they've done some loving around with scale.

The general jitteriness of everything is good evidence by itself to be honest. The little rounding errors at small scale means that you're riding the line of everything clipping into everything else all the time.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Big footprint from bazooka can easily be correct size bazooka decal with wrong texture, but :lol: that firing that poo poo right under you doesn't phase that commando

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
honest question: is this beautiful trainwreck called star citizen part of your life?
is loving chris “visionary“ roberts your guilty pleasure?
do you visit this thread for the lulz?

lets rub

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bumble He posted:

I don't know. It's been pretty boring lately.

CI¬G has adopted the sensible strategy of, instead of producing laughably idiotic marketing and doing nothing, to… well… just doing nothing, but hardly ever talking about it — the heyday of lulzstupidity seems long gone.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Bumble He posted:

honest question: is this beautiful trainwreck called star citizen part of your life?

lets rub

i have lust on my mind for your inevitable consequences

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

MedicineHut posted:

You mean all that the power triangle has been all this time is just a prioritization list in case power draw goes down for whatever reason, otherwise all three elements get always 100% irrespective of the triangle selection?

:laffo:

There is always more and it´s always worst

Yes, obviously, and it was never intended to be anything else, and if you don't believe that you're a grasping idiot because Star Citizen doesn't need pip management. Now let's all get excited for the new pip management feature!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Tippis posted:

I don't know. It's been pretty boring lately.

CI¬G has adopted the sensible strategy of, instead of producing laughably idiotic marketing and doing nothing, to… well… just doing nothing, but hardly ever talking about it — the heyday of lulzstupidity seems long gone.

I wonder what Ben Lesnick is up to these days.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

I think this is the secret that both CIG and Citizens know but won't admit: this is not a video game anymore, it is a digital toy shelf for spaceship collectors.

This is a very good point, and it makes the whole thing even sadder in my view considering the utter triteness of Star Citizen's universe. You could go for the insane designs of EVE online or the iconic silhouettes of Star Wars. You could go for some very basic but instantly recognizable shapes and colors like Homeworld but no. This is Chris Roberts so your ship has to fit on a scale from shoebox with neons to fighter jet with neons. Just pick a size and color. (just kidding, it's grey)

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Plan>delay>cancel>absolve

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
It’s like live, laugh, love, but for failed game devs.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
late, lose, leave

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Bumble He posted:

lets rub

I just want glitch compilations. More and more, even old ones. Feed me. They're so fascinating and loving funny

Like I know all game development has its fair share of hilarious or infuriating bugs but SC is the perfect storm of everything being awful all the time

Also have any other games other than Crysis actually used Cryengine in any notable way? Anything high profile? I've always found it crazy how this revolutionary engine burst onto the scene and then immediately wet farted itself into oblivion while Unreal just kept going from strength to strength

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Time_pants posted:

In all seriousness, what the gently caress is this? Like... what? This is a joke, right? "We need a spaceship restaurant with guns" is poo poo I'd expect to hear from someone talking in their sleep.

Literally dreams.txt.

She's built like a steakhouse but handles like a bistro!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Fidelitious posted:

Yes, we don't know for sure but the footprints thing in combination with the Star Marine out-of-scale assets thing is good evidence that they've done some loving around with scale.

The general jitteriness of everything is good evidence by itself to be honest. The little rounding errors at small scale means that you're riding the line of everything clipping into everything else all the time.

honestly the 64-bit precision positioning is one of the few things i kind of believe them on. if you don't have 64-bit positioning, you very quickly run into this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8pRS0MgtGs&t=8s

notice the weird shaking. it only gets worse the further away you go from the center of the world. a workaround for that is making the world move around the player (world origin shifting), though i imagine that gets a bit more complex (and harder to maintain) with multiplayer.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Songbearer posted:

I just want glitch compilations. More and more, even old ones. Feed me. They're so fascinating and loving funny

Like I know all game development has its fair share of hilarious or infuriating bugs but SC is the perfect storm of everything being awful all the time

Also have any other games other than Crysis actually used Cryengine in any notable way? Anything high profile? I've always found it crazy how this revolutionary engine burst onto the scene and then immediately wet farted itself into oblivion while Unreal just kept going from strength to strength

I don't know poo poo about this stuff but my instinct from playing games forever is that Crysis was always a brute-force engine, something you'd use to benchmark your video card for example, it was made to look pretty by just tossing poo poo at the card with no optimization or cleverness about it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Yogi147/status/1392866847628857344

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
This is all there is. Death by hotdog

https://clips.twitch.tv/CloudySeductiveLasagnaTBTacoLeft-S_AZnQExCfkq1EKu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate