Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Doop de doo, just going to post that this ethnic minority person should be deported, nothing problematic here, hope this doesnt end my high profile career!

(send tweet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What's that one we stuck Napoleon on, Tristan de Martel or whatever? She could go there.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

What's that one we stuck Napoleon on, Tristan de Martel or whatever? She could go there.

Elba wasn't it?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

bessantj posted:

Isn't she British? Where would you deport her to?

She's as British as Shamima Begum.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1393112175699443713

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

Elba wasn't it?

Elba the first time (possibly because they wanted him to actually get out and either die in the attempt or get killed by the Bourbons in Italy), St. Helena - literally the most remote part of the world known at the time - the second.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

She is! It was a dumb tweet, because it could easily be interpreted as: "Why not deport Patel; she isn't properly British anyway ('cos she's brown)."

Suspending him's a dumb over-reaction though.

I don't think he's a racist but it isn't a good look. "She should be deported from her job." or something like that would have been better.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

One of the pitcairns? British antarctic territory?

Seems unfair to inflict her on anywhere with civilization.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Pitcairn is our one claim to being a Pacific country, it got brought up in our CPTPP application.

Britain has long ties to the Pacific, including...

oh no

oh no.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

bessantj posted:

Why, one of those oil rig concentration camps she concocted for other stateless reprobates of course.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Pitcairns seem like the platonic ideal of Tory society - insular, xenophobic, dourly religious inbred paedos. All Tory MPs should be banished there

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Pistol_Pete posted:

In keeping with the trend of Labour gently caress-ups, this guy's totally going to win the Unite leadership election and then him and Labour are going to refuse to talk to each other.

This would be the maximum banter timeline outcome but I seem to remember Beckett not being particularly good. Trying to find out why but he doesn't have much of a profile.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

goddamnedtwisto posted:

She's as British as Shamima Begum.

Worth noting.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Pitcairns seem like the platonic ideal of Tory society - insular, xenophobic, dourly religious inbred paedos. All Tory MPs should be banished there

Bit too multi-racial for them though.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The Perfect Element posted:

if he'd said the same about a white politician, it would be fine.
Yeah, Patel is British, the proper term is exiled.

It was a terrible tweet, and I do think that strong action needed to be taken, because otherwise the rags would just say 'RACIST SENIOR UNION FIGURE SAYS PRITI PATEL "SHOULD BE DEPORTED"'
Hard disagree on that part though, it's a dumb tweet that he apologised for, "dumb person does dumb tweet" is not news whereas "Senior Union figure SACKED in racism SCANDAL" is.

Also lmao at anyone clutching their pearls at the mere suggestion that Patel be deported whilst casually turning a blind eye to the tens of thousand of people actually being deported in reality.

e: huh, there was another page

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

bessantj posted:

Wherever they sent the Windrush victims.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 14, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah quivering in our boots about a dumb tweet is exactly the sort of thing that we need not to be doing, and the sort of thing that could easily end up as the next anti-semitism. The left should do everything it can to keep the focus on actually-existing injustice, not collapse into a black hole of introspection and flagellation for the world to see every time someone says something mildly out of line.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would, in fact, be a net good for the whole world if patel and the rest of the government was fired into the sun, so I don't really see much to complain about tbh.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

It would, in fact, be a net good for the whole world if patel and the rest of the government was fired into the sun, so I don't really see much to complain about tbh.

The amount of delta-v required to do that would be much more usefully applied in firing every landlord into a parabolic trajectory straight into the North Atlantic.

(Yes I've been playing Kerbal Space Program again, does it show?)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1393124817902133249

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

That curve in Bolton still looks really frickin bad though

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Anyone else who ditched their membership get a call this moring? I just did. not about money either, a rout

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Trickjaw posted:

Anyone else who ditched their membership get a call this moring? I just did. not about money either, a rout

Umm this between us

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is a rout in this context?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

What is a rout in this context?

well, a coupe, but didn't want to use tge word. won't happen, even if it does it needs a tactician so will fail

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would like a coupe, I don't use the back seats much anyway.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Edit: Nevermind.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 14, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I would like a coupe, I don't use the back seats much anyway.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Are we done, you maestros of mitrth?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well nobody called me I'm afraid so it may be limited to your local area.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Gah! OF is always right. let's see if this coup (see) actually happens. I'm surprised my clp reached out, I'm a wrong 'un in their eyes.

our wee clp has shed 70%

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 14, 2021

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Borrovan posted:

Yeah, Patel is British, the proper term is exiled.

Hard disagree on that part though, it's a dumb tweet that he apologised for, "dumb person does dumb tweet" is not news whereas "Senior Union figure SACKED in racism SCANDAL" is.

Also lmao at anyone clutching their pearls at the mere suggestion that Patel be deported whilst casually turning a blind eye to the tens of thousand of people actually being deported in reality.

e: huh, there was another page

Yeah, the optics of suspending / sacking someone are bad, too...

This is why dealing with the right is so loving tricky. They are happy to be entirely morally inconsistent, and, as you say, to spend the majority of the time indulging in racist dog whistling (or outright racism) and then screeching in outrage at an ill advised tweet about the home secretary.

So when something like this happens, there's literally nothing you can do that they won't use against you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Trickjaw posted:

Gah! OF is always right.

Let's not say things we can't take back.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bessantj posted:

They're trying to deport second-generation descendants of Windrush immigrants to the Caribbean. I can't see the problem in deporting Patel back to wherever her immigrant father came from. Other than that they wouldn't want her, of course.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Hiring a racist of colour for the home secretary job is the ultimate act of identity politics.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

This is why dealing with the right is so loving tricky. They are happy to be entirely morally inconsistent, and, as you say, to spend the majority of the time indulging in racist dog whistling (or outright racism) and then screeching in outrage at an ill advised tweet about the home secretary.
This is why everyone from Touré Reed to Ash Sarkar goes on about the weaponization of idpol against the economic left.

They don't mean "and therefore you can drop N-bombs and be a 24/7 edgelord without consequence as long as you hate landlords", more that these incidents have to be judged in proportion to the amount of harm that they do to actual marginalized peoples and not to perpetually outraged handwringing libs and fake virtuous right wing projectionists.

Also this

jiggerypokery posted:

Hiring a racist of colour for the home secretary job is the ultimate act of identity politics.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Apologies if this has already been brought up and discussed but:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1392970115642183681?s=19

Apparently suspended 2 hours after posting this tweet, which he deleted and apologised for 30 mins afterward:

I'd happily see every Tory deported. Where to? I hear the Moon is lovely this time of year

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I still think Luton would be best.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

The kenmure Street thing is awesome, but I can't help but be disappointed that I moved out of Glasgow a couple of months ago and then it all kicks off less than 100 yards from my old flat.

West end's for bellends; southside best side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

the tory/green coalition is def gonna be even funnier than the tory/libdem one