Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So at what point does the media start calling the Greens Britain's third party?

e: 87 is the atomic number of francium, named after Frank Zappa, a type of particle accelerator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The media is smarter than to give the Greens any airtime. They know the risk of them soaking up the Corbyn camp and becoming a real opposition.

The Greens should be smarter than to do a Clegg. That doesn't mean they are.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

When they manage to elect an MP who isn't Caroline Lucas?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

e: 87 is the atomic number of francium, named after Frank Zappa, a type of particle accelerator.

when they elect a neoliberal leader who proposes carbon tax credits

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Do they have any "sensible" policies?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just heard about the latest idiocy through twitter and lol, what?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guavanaut posted:

Just heard about the latest idiocy through twitter and lol, what?

Do they think Magneto is going to rip the metal out of everyone's bloodstream?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I have no idea. I hope it's just weak trolling from sideshow magicians and/or people who have magnetic implants, but why anyone would believe it to the point that it needs refuting I do not know.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I hope they never find out what's in haemoglobin...

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Lol I just rang the student loans company who cannot stop hassling me. Every option you chose on their phone line just hangs up on you.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1393145586568794112?s=19

TIBFKS

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Extremely proportional electoral system.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Can someone explain to me why Scotland isn't just going for a referendum and a UDI?

The right to self determination has been defended by the Western world for a century now. Why are the SNP hellbent on asking Boris for permission?

Does the party want independence or does it just want to keep the convenient narrative "Westminster is holding us back?" Or is there some material reason to do an unprecedented thing and gain the government's permission to leave Britain without first applying force.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I really hope people (ok me, I’m talking about me) aren’t going to potentially die because of arbitrary supply of different vaccines. They didn’t have to rush. They could have maintained restrictions until we all got the ‘good vaccines’. So now we have the potential situation where everything opens because ‘people are vaccinated’ but one vaccine does little and they get super infected because no one else cares anymore. Murdered by postcode lottery.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lmao that projection would put the Tories at literally twice the number of seats as Labour

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Can someone explain to me why Scotland isn't just going for a referendum and a UDI?

The right to self determination has been defended by the Western world for a century now. Why are the SNP hellbent on asking Boris for permission?

Does the party want independence or does it just want to keep the convenient narrative "Westminster is holding us back?" Or is there some material reason to do an unprecedented thing and gain the government's permission to leave Britain without first applying force.

Conventional wisdom is they don't want to get Catalonia'd, or have Spain think they're trying to Catalonia in a way that might give Catalonia ideas.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Regarde Aduck posted:

I really hope people (ok me, I’m talking about me) aren’t going to potentially die because of arbitrary supply of different vaccines. They didn’t have to rush.

They did have to rush, because people were dying. You might be able to live in a safe cocoon, but lots of people aren't, including care home residents. As a fellow vulnerable AZ receiver I hope different vaccinations will become available if any vaccine is proven ineffective against new strains, but I am drat glad I'm at least immunized against some of them, thanks.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

josh04 posted:

Conventional wisdom is they don't want to get Catalonia'd, or have Spain think they're trying to Catalonia in a way that might give Catalonia ideas.
There's also some polling suggesting that they'd lose the referendum, which would be far worse than just not having one.
Twenty. Points. Ahead.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

https://twitter.com/EllzSummary/status/1393118201756758016

#LibDemFightback - Conspiracy Version

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

josh04 posted:

So it's about Europe still. For as long as Scotland are asking permission, and it doesn't create an electoral issue in England, Westminster can block their chances of a referendum. The SNP will hold Scotland, inside of a Tory Britain, and that is surely the equilibrium for the foreseeable future.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Azza Bamboo posted:

The SNP are in a tricky position because their electoral result isn't a referendum mandate because Sturgeon is genuinely popular. There was a video clip of someone asking her "if I want you to run the covid response but don't want a referendum, how do I vote for that" She replied, "Vote SNP."

They have to pay lip service to wanting a referendum but neither westminster nor the SNP want one any time soon

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's a bit of both. The SNP will always garner support from cries to throw off the Hated English Yoke TM, but there are also international considerations. They want - and in fact need - to rejoin Scotland to the EU, but Spain will veto that if Scotland simply declares independence because they have a similar movement in Catalonia. However, the backbone of the Spanish position is that they would respect the result of a referendum if one was held; they just never intend to let the Catalans have one.

The complications creep in with Brexit. With Scotland being dragged out of the EU against its will, a second Indyref is as much an attempt to join a union of nations as it is an attempt to leave one. So Spain might accept the result of a wildcat referendum because technically the SNP wants to be in a political union with Spain.

However, I don't think Spain would accept a UDI unless the Tories tried to shut down Holyrood. And maybe not even then.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Lib Dems getting into unskewing the polls

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
History shows that international institutions do not look kindly on substates making UDI's. Scotland going this route without sanction from UK state would find itself quickly frozen out of any hopes of joining international bodies, maybe we'd be recognised by the other non-country countries (Palestine, Kosovo etc.).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Azza Bamboo posted:

Because the right to self-determination isn't that simple or Catalunya would be independent right now. Hell, Kosovo declared independence 13 years ago & still is only recognised by half the members of the UN. Whatever may or not be the strict case in international law doesn't matter because ultimately realpolitik & international diplomacy trumps it. Scotland wants to ensure a referendum is respected by the UK because it avoids becoming a state not recognised by half the world (including several EU members like Spain who have a iffy history on separatism)

jiggerypokery posted:

They have to pay lip service to wanting a referendum but neither westminster nor the SNP want one any time soon

The notion that Nicola Sturgeon does not want a referendum at the first possible moment is utter nonsense. One will happen during the parliament, unless the COVID pandemic is even worse than expected & drags on for 5 more years.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Oh dear me posted:

They did have to rush, because people were dying. You might be able to live in a safe cocoon, but lots of people aren't, including care home residents. As a fellow vulnerable AZ receiver I hope different vaccinations will become available if any vaccine is proven ineffective against new strains, but I am drat glad I'm at least immunized against some of them, thanks.

i think OP meant rushing the easing of restrictions rather than rushing to vaccinate the vulnerable

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Regarde Aduck posted:

I really hope people (ok me, I’m talking about me) aren’t going to potentially die because of arbitrary supply of different vaccines. They didn’t have to rush. They could have maintained restrictions until we all got the ‘good vaccines’. So now we have the potential situation where everything opens because ‘people are vaccinated’ but one vaccine does little and they get super infected because no one else cares anymore. Murdered by postcode lottery.

I thought they were all pretty good. And even a less good one is much better than nothing. What’s your particular concern?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Here's what the left should do to deal with this, in its entirety

"it was a stupid tweet and the person had rightly deleted it and apologised. The matter is settled"

"but--"

"the matter is settled"

~fin~

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Don't know if anybody was looking for a new av but

https://twitter.com/scienceshitpost/status/1392868055890464773

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

The notion that Nicola Sturgeon does not want a referendum at the first possible moment is utter nonsense. One will happen during the parliament, unless the COVID pandemic is even worse than expected & drags on for 5 more years.

She wants to win, though. And the polling is not even close to good for her at the moment.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

In the nineties there were local elections where the Alliance/SLD/LibDems were polling over 40% nationwide, because locals are absolutely irrelevant.

zhar
May 3, 2019

jiggerypokery posted:

Lol I just rang the student loans company who cannot stop hassling me. Every option you chose on their phone line just hangs up on you.

try option 2 5 2

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

Because the right to self-determination isn't that simple or Catalunya would be independent right now. Hell, Kosovo declared independence 13 years ago & still is only recognised by half the members of the UN. Whatever may or not be the strict case in international law doesn't matter because ultimately realpolitik & international diplomacy trumps it. Scotland wants to ensure a referendum is respected by the UK because it avoids becoming a state not recognised by half the world (including several EU members like Spain who have a iffy history on separatism)

Additionally, it's not like in a UDI situation the British establishment would just be sitting back doing nothing. They'd be screaming bloody murder to every other country about sedition, illegality, etc. You'd expect British ambassadors in Spain to be pushing the Scotland-Catalonia comparison super hard, and meanwhile they'd be over in America pushing a narrative that an independent Scotland plays right into Russian interests, British intelligence services would be calling in every favour they could with Five Eyes, etc.

Stereotypically in the west, the English are hated and the Scots well liked, but the cold realpolitik is that existing economic, political, and intelligence ties with the UK are probably not worth jeopardising to recognise an independent Scotland, if established without Westminster's consent. That changes if you're willing to do an Ireland and have a war over it, but nobody in Scotland is picking up a gun over independence.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Azza Bamboo posted:

Power over devolution matters have not been ceded to the devolved governments, only Westminster has the power to grant a referendum. If Scotland held it without permission, Labour and Tories would simply not vote making it meaningless, plus you'd end up like Catalonia.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

Don't know if anybody was looking for a new av but

https://twitter.com/scienceshitpost/status/1392868055890464773

Paging VideoGames to thread

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So it's about Europe still. For as long as Scotland are asking permission, and it doesn't create an electoral issue in England, Westminster can block their chances of a referendum. The SNP will hold Scotland, inside of a Tory Britain, and that is surely the equilibrium for the foreseeable future.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Additionally, it's not like in a UDI situation the British establishment would just be sitting back doing nothing. They'd be screaming bloody murder to every other country about sedition, illegality, etc. You'd expect British ambassadors in Spain to be pushing the Scotland-Catalonia comparison super hard, and meanwhile they'd be over in America pushing a narrative that an independent Scotland plays right into Russian interests, British intelligence services would be calling in every favour they could with Five Eyes, etc.

Stereotypically in the west, the English are hated and the Scots well liked, but the cold realpolitik is that existing economic, political, and intelligence ties with the UK are probably not worth jeopardising to recognise an independent Scotland, if established without Westminster's consent. That changes if you're willing to do an Ireland and have a war over it, but nobody in Scotland is picking up a gun over independence.

It's this really and also in the event of a Referendum authorised by Westminster they would be duty bound to actually negotiate a separation, with a UDI they would just tell Scotland to go gently caress itself which is not a situation it wants as we would continue to use the pound etc for a period and things would get awkward.

The ANP made a slight rod for their own back by winning the absolute majority before the last referendum and now that is held up as the high water mark that the SNP need to achieve to be allowed another one.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

forkboy84 posted:

Why is this?
I basically accept it since I don't know the SNP that well but in terms of personal material incentives they win just as much by getting permanent huge majorities in Scotland as they do by risking a referendum.

More, really, if you consider they currently get the pensions, wages and attention of a government despite being LARPers who can wash their hands of any responsibility if it suits them since they don't really control very much.

It's actually a real nice situation for them atm

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

There won't be one this parliament as the COVID recover plan will easy take 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Scotland basically had the same amount of people per capita dying of covid as England. and similarly let it rampage around the nursing homes etc.

Yet the SNP have come off really well coz they cna say "well that's the tories not us innit... Despite the NHS being one of the only things meant to be actually devolved"

The devolved government's have a cozy racket going on imo, is it just ego that they'd rather be more important?