Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Any updates in the various rumored criminal prosecutions post-trump? I thought NYAG would have filed something by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Do the Republicans who think there is massive voter fraud every election ever wonder why the Democrats let themselves lose 2000, 2004, 2016, lose seats in the House in 2010, 2014, and 2016, or only get a 50/50 split in the Senate?

Is it the same reason that every Democrat is always going to take all the guns, but hasn't yet?

Trump was a transformative candidate who brought out so much of the silent majority that Democrats were blindsided and their fraud couldn't keep up.

Bush won because he was a deep cover operative for The Libs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kraftwerk posted:

And for the record, the rest of congress barely intervened to help Sumner. Everyone sat there and watched.

Probably because there was an accomplice there waving a gun

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any updates in the various rumored criminal prosecutions post-trump? I thought NYAG would have filed something by now.

He subpoenaed the school that trumps CFO goes to investigating if trump org was paying for it as salary but the cfo wasn’t reporting it as income a few days ago.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Kalit posted:

Sorry if this was already posted, but it looks like Mike Parson is continuing to be a huge shitbag:
https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1392971678519541769
Here's some responses in the story from him and state Democrats:

I wish we could have a federal ballot initiative question for a single payer healthcare system and just get that done already :sigh:

man, democracy kind of seems like it's on its last legs

i don't know what the gently caress things will look like in four years

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

man, democracy kind of seems like it's on its last legs

i don't know what the gently caress things will look like in four years

Probably a quasi-autocrat with a rubber-stamp legislature.

I'd say it was fun while it lasted but it really wasn't, only better compared to our eco-fascist future.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

they got his tax returns in February and they raided rudy's houses. at earliest it will be later this year. this poo poo takes a long time.

Kraftwerk posted:

This whole thing with MTG and AOC is starting to resemble what happened with Andrew Butler and Charles Sumner before the civil war. Only instead of a walking cane, it might be a gun.

And for the record, the rest of congress barely intervened to help Sumner. Everyone sat there and watched.
So historical precedent tells us if you feel unsafe versus other congressmen you have only yourself to count on for defence.

yeah. sadly i have to agree. especially since its clear alot of chuds walk in carrying. thankfully, i don't think the thought of murdering AOC has entered her brain fully yet. i think that will come after some GOP defeat with some bill or some poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Whos worse Roy or Stefanik, for posterity?

both are bad. roy is worse least in loudness factor. either way i find it funny that trump plants the blade in the back of anyone who doesn't lavish him with praise forever.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Wait is this guy saying this as a good thing?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

TwoQuestions posted:

Probably a quasi-autocrat with a rubber-stamp legislature.

I'd say it was fun while it lasted but it really wasn't, only better compared to our eco-fascist future.

It's not over yet. I expect to see you organizing in 2022 and 2024.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah probably. chuds love villians and not in a fun way.

How are u posted:

also biden and the dems didnt cancel party election structures like obama did. so thats a plus.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Kraftwerk posted:

This whole thing with MTG and AOC is starting to resemble what happened with Andrew Butler and Charles Sumner before the civil war. Only instead of a walking cane, it might be a gun.

So historical precedent tells us if you feel unsafe versus other congressmen you have only yourself to count on for defence.
Not sure how reliable wikipedia is but it says otherwise

quote:

Several other Senators and Representatives attempted to help Sumner, but were blocked by Edmundson, who yelled at the spectators to leave Brooks and Sumner alone, and Keitt, who brandished his own cane and a pistol, and shouted, "Let them be!" and "Let them alone, God drat you, let them alone!"

quote:

Representatives Ambrose S. Murray and Edwin B. Morgan were finally able to intervene and restrain Brooks, at which point he quietly left the chamber. Murray obtained the aid of a Senate page and the Sergeant at Arms, Dunning R. McNair. As Sumner regained consciousness they were able to assist him to walk to a cloakroom. Sumner received first aid and medical attention, including several stitches. With the aid of Nathaniel P. Banks, the Speaker of the House, and Senator Henry Wilson, Sumner was able to travel by carriage to his lodgings, where he received further medical treatment.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

How are u posted:

Portman's retiring, so we have a very small shot for a Dem senator, but it's probably still going to be some 30 year old Qanon nutcase.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

As we'd guessed, DeWine is going to end the Federal unemployment aid starting June 26 for Ohio.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

Chuds are mentally 12 and twice as edgy, so yeah they love the Joker/ the Empire/ Thanos unironically.

I keep wondering a chicken and the egg situation with the GOP: was the base always this insane and the party moved to meet it, or did the party radicalize its base more and more?

It's harder and harder to tell. What is clear is that being "conservative" seems to be pretty heavily linked to a lack of conceptual thinking and thinking entirely in absolutes. There is only one "Good side" and then there are bad guys, and then there are the dumb masses, who get tricked.

That idiotic phrase by that lunatic cop trainer Grossman is the overall thought process of a Conservative world
view: "There are Wolves, There are Sheep, and there are Sheep Dogs."

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 14, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Erik Prince seems like he might be a legit problem

Quick reminder that Erik Prince is the brother of Betsy DeVos and had prominent mention in the Mueller report, most notably for deleting a huge amount of Trump campaign related emails and messages before Mueller could get them.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Doctor Butts posted:

As we'd guessed, DeWine is going to end the Federal unemployment aid starting June 26 for Ohio.

I had a feeling that every red state would do this within a week, and we are right on track. Assholes.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

"Biden made us do this!"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Chuds are mentally 12 and twice as edgy, so yeah they love the Joker/ the Empire/ Thanos unironically.

I keep wondering a chicken and the egg situation with the GOP: was the base always this insane and the party moved to meet it, or did the party radicalize its base more and more?

It's harder and harder to tell. What is clear is that being "conservative" seems to be pretty heavily linked to a lack of conceptual thinking and thinking entirely in absolutes. There is only one "Good side" and then there are bad guys, and then there are the dumb masses, who get tricked.

That idiotic phrase by that lunatic cop trainer Grossman is the overall thought process of a Conservative world

I think they were always like this, only with a veneer of respecting certain social niceties like not expressing genocidal hatreds at the dinner table or at work.

The first time I saw the mask come off in real time (that I can remember) is the two-day period after the pussy tape dropped where people were silent and then realized that they didn’t have to pretend to care that trump was a rapist. So they never actually cared about rape and actually loved rapists all along, but for some period they felt they had to pretend that they didn’t. And then they stopped pretending and started resenting everyone else for making them pretend.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

TulliusCicero posted:

The anti democracy stuff is from Republican politicians since the 2020 election: (unverified twitter account is the author of the paper)

https://mobile.twitter.com/dhopkins1776/status/1389945952983728137

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Informed people seem to think that since Vance is not running for re-election they will wait until the new AG is installed before making an indictment.

They've set up a quasi independent counsel sort of a thing to ensure that the case has continuity and can't just be ended.

Though, I suppose lesser personalities without the Trump moniker may come up earlier?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Uh no, he's comparing her to a terrorist ransom video made by a supervillain.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

James Garfield posted:

Hamas being fuckers is separate from Palestinians being oppressed. If Hamas were democratically elected I'd think that voting for lovely nationalists was an understandable response to oppression, but Hamas isn't elected so :shrug:
Hamas was the winner of the last elections that were held in the Gaza strip (in 2006).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Palestinian_legislative_election

Mind you, I don't think that makes the Palestinian residents of Gaza culpable for everything Hamas does, but it's worth noting that Hamas enjoys a good deal of support among Palestinians (at least when compared to Fatah, Hamas' primary political rival).

Edit: And it shouldn't be surprising, as Hamas ran social programs, schools, etc... that were very popular with the locals. They are more multi-faceted than many realize.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

idk man you can only push people so far

if someone came to your neighborhood and pointed guns at you and said get out and evicted all your neighbors and machine-gunned a church when you complained about this treatment, I guess maybe the "nice" thing for you to do would be to go "gosh diddly osh okay then enjoy my house can I shine your shoes for you on the way in", and if you don't do that I'm sure there'll be nattering aloof people on the sidelines going "well gee golly looks like you're just as bad as them, why won't you just shine their shoes it's not that hard, and then maybe they'll give you your house back" and then this happens over and over and over to more and more and more people who are all scolded for fighting back as the evictions proceed without limit, but at some point you have to identify who is the aggressor in the situation and who needs to stop so this can all end.

Not trying to be a dick, but you're falling for the tactics every oppressor uses. Don't you remember what the cops do here, they commit some atrocity like murdering a guy on camera, when the protests start the cops crack down with insane over the top violence and just keep gassing and beating and shooting people until they finally provoke a reaction, and then go "see look how violent they are you can't reason with these Black Lives people, we've got to have lawn order!" What did you think of the people looking at the protests last summer and going "gee both sides are at fault"

Well guys now y'all can see why I leave the thread when this poo poo shows up, so I guess I'll just sit down and be quiet again so I don't rock the boat anymore.

Literally say they shouldn't fire missiles at civilians and I get a thousands reasons why "WELL SEE IT'S OKAY BECAUSE--" "OH YOU'RE SIDING WITH THE OPPRESSORS!" Yeah I get it. I'll just never bring it up again.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

TulliusCicero posted:

It's the results of 50+ years of constant dogwhistling as part of Nixon's southern strategy. The only thing that's really changed is that the majority of the voting base got tired of the plausible deniability and the code words and actively seek out the people who appeal to the paranoia and aggression that's been flashed into their brains over the years.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

There were literally Chud memes with Trump using that jewel gauntlet thingy from Marvel to kill all the Democrats in the runup to the election. I think Don Jr. even shared one. I had to finally buckle down and watch the drat movie to figure out what they were talking about.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Grammarchist posted:

There were literally Chud memes with Trump using that jewel gauntlet thingy from Marvel to kill all the Democrats in the runup to the election. I think Don Jr. even shared one. I had to finally buckle down and watch the drat movie to figure out what they were talking about.

It works quite well in representing their movement. A destructive and evil act that makes less sense the more you think about it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

TulliusCicero posted:

It's harder and harder to tell. What is clear is that being "conservative" seems to be pretty heavily linked to a lack of conceptual thinking and thinking entirely in absolutes.

Hey, don't lump those of us who think entirely in absolutes in with conservatives! I don't want to get tarred with that bad a brush!

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Flopsy posted:

Well guys now y'all can see why I leave the thread when this poo poo shows up, so I guess I'll just sit down and be quiet again so I don't rock the boat anymore.

Literally say they shouldn't fire missiles at civilians and I get a thousands reasons why "WELL SEE IT'S OKAY BECAUSE--" "OH YOU'RE SIDING WITH THE OPPRESSORS!" Yeah I get it. I'll just never bring it up again.

That's not really what anyone is saying, the point is that the actions being done by the Israelis are being done under their national flag by people that ostensibly represent the people that voted for them or their party, while the actions being done by the Palestinians are being done by a group with some support but no capacity to administer, who have been locked out of the political process by the Israelis deliberately. I don't even have the ability to determine if these attacks are supported by Hamas at large or if it's the actions of the most radical under the umbrella, because there's no reporting, Israel assassinated anyone that could be considered leadership, and they don't exactly have a press office putting out statements!

Further, the damage being done by the rockets is extremely minor compared to the damage being done by the airstrikes, whether you look at the number of deaths or the dollars of property damage. The justification for the airstrikes from the Israeli military is extremely flimsy - they have unsourced and unverified claims of "weapon caches" in the buildings they are bombing, but suspiciously their target list is literally just every building in Gaza from tallest to shortest, with multi-family housing and media offices being among the first targets.

This is just the latest in Israel's storied history of using individual actions to justify collective punishment against an ethnic group, check out the casualty numbers and targets from 2007-8 and 2014. 2014 is notable because that was the time that Israel targeted hospitals and schools run by the UN as shelters because OTHER shelters which were not in use had been used to stash weapons - the places they actually bombed were never shown to have weapons cached there, either before the strikes were authorized or after

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
They finally had a breakthrough on the 1/6 commission.

It will structured exactly like the 9/11 commission. Subpoena power, they will release an official report, etc.

The only thing the Dems gave up was veto power over the Republican members. They wanted to exclude anyone who had spoken in favor of not certifying the election.

It's a 5/5 split and each party appoints who they want. The official report will be released no matter what, but they could deadlock giving it the official seal of approval.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/bipartisan-bill-january-6-commission-scope

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

DeathSandwich posted:

It's the results of 50+ years of constant dogwhistling as part of Nixon's southern strategy. The only thing that's really changed is that the majority of the voting base got tired of the plausible deniability and the code words and actively seek out the people who appeal to the paranoia and aggression that's been flashed into their brains over the years.

The basic idea of the Southern Strategy (pander to racist whites to steal Dixiecrat votes from the Democrats) was morally repellent but tactically sound.

Where Nixon seemingly went wrong was in over-estimating white voters, because the other half of the Southern Strategy was based on a deep fear of looking too obviously racist, but it turns out the people you're going after with that strategy start losing interest unless you start bringing out the top shelf race hate.

The GOP primary field had no defense against Trump for the simple reason that what they wanted was open race hate, not diet race hate.

Nixon: too idealistic for the GOP lol

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1393257772549083145?s=20

quote:

The voting electorate continues to become more diverse, and 2020 was the most racially diverse electorate ever. This was due to big turnout increases in communities of color, particularly among Latino and Asian voters. The electorate was 72% white, compared to 74% white in 2016 and 77% white in 2008. This composition shift comes mostly from the decline of white voters without a college degree, who have dropped from 51% of the electorate in 2008 to 44% in 2020.

quote:

Along with massive increases in turnout, Latino vote share as a whole swung towards Trump by 8 points in two-way vote share compared to 2016, though Biden-Harris still enjoyed solid majority (61%) support among this group. Some of the shift from 2016 appears to be a result of changing voting preferences among people who voted in both elections, and some may come from new voters who were more evenly split in their vote choice than previous Latino voters. This question presents particularly challenging data analysis problems, which we discuss more in a dedicated section below.

quote:

The Biden-Harris ticket benefitted from a diverse set of supporters: 39% of their coalition were voters of color, and the remaining 61% were split fairly evenly between white voters with and without a college degree. They also made significant gains among white voters compared to 2016, particularly among white college and white suburban voters, who have shown a solid and consistent backlash against Trump’s Republican party. The Trump-Pence ticket was more homogenous, with nearly 60% of their votes coming from white non-college voters, 85% white in total, and only 15% voters of color.

Given how the Republican party has fully embraced their cult of trump status I think there's a solid chance that those white college and white suburban voters might stick with Dems in the next GE. There's no telling if they'll turn out for the midterms though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Flopsy posted:

I never said firing rockets is okay, stop making stuff up.

In your first post you admitted you aren't informed about the issue so maybe the responsible thing to do would be to get informed if you want to start making judgements or refrain from making them yeah?

What do you think of someone who, every time the native American genocide comes up says "well there were assholes on both sides you know, some native soldiers really did kill white women and children, both sides were to blame". You'd probably tell them their focus is wildly off and hope they consider your words instead of getting fragile about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh man this is sweet

https://twitter.com/MikaelThalen/status/1393255202803773444

https://twitter.com/MikaelThalen/status/1393260747946299394

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Fuckin’ LOL, they will find any angle to grift - next thing you know we’re going to hear about some Trump-owned locations making people pay for vaccinations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They finally had a breakthrough on the 1/6 commission.

It will structured exactly like the 9/11 commission. Subpoena power, they will release an official report, etc.

The only thing the Dems gave up was veto power over the Republican members. They wanted to exclude anyone who had spoken in favor of not certifying the election.

It's a 5/5 split and each party appoints who they want. The official report will be released no matter what, but they could deadlock giving it the official seal of approval.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/bipartisan-bill-january-6-commission-scope
gently caress YEAH BOUT TIME

Trump wants nothing to do with QANON what the gently caress am I smoking??? :psyboom:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lmao we should broadcast this and the Proud Boy melt down all over

He doesn't give a poo poo about you dipshits: he only cares about you because you give him money and scream his name.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Trump wants nothing to do with QANON what the gently caress am I smoking??? :psyboom:

He wants them to vote for him and send him money, he doesn't want to associate with them or have them in his buildings

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The first thing that comes to my mind is plausible deniability. He clearly doesn't give a poo poo about his cultists, but it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't an angle of trying to distance himself too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Grouchio posted:

I mean, it's been common knowledge for some time now that Trump actively hates the majority of his supporters, because they're not all buff, wealthy, celebrity Adonises.