Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

Still no update, but the idea got lodged in my head so I went ahead and wrote up comparisons of the various transportable power methods. Might help someone out.

I remember I ran the numbers a month or so ago and got very different results than you. I assumed no gravitational lenses were used mind you, which is a big point of divergence. The accumulators did consume less ongoing resources than the antimatter fuel rods. The increase in warper consumption does not match the rod portion of the antimatter fuel rods.

Thing is, a fraction of a small number is still a small number. The resources saved simply weren't worth the hastle given the not exactly ideal behaviour of discharging accumulators.

(Edit, my bad, haven't played in a while and mixed up MJ and GJ values wrt accumulators, ignore this)
>I'm not sure how your costs are calculated though. 1GW for 10 minutes is less than 1% of a warper in 10 minutes. You don't need 4240.25 iron to make a small fraction of a single warper. The ongoing costs for accumulators seem several orders of magnitude off.

Corrected for my idiocy, it is still only 6.66 warpers (double for returning the empties) in 10 minutes to deliver 1 GW with accumulators. This is still far less resources than you account for in the ongoing costs of accumulators. Is the difference purely down to use of gravitational lenses?

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I'm looking over the numbers again now that I've remembered the ratio calculator exists, and while I was slightly off it wasn't by much. I'll have to remember to go back and run the upkeep math through this when I'm at a desktop again.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
When you're starting trying to make hub production areas with logistics ships, is it better for the drones to be in the supply or demand side tower?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Experience in other games tells you that you need to carefully arrange your demand and supply towers and drones and such but in this game It's better to have literally every single product line connected to its own ILS, demanding its mats and supplying the product. I tend to put both types of drones in every tower, but if you want to be more judicious consider whether you will be demanding/supplying stuff off world. Don't even bother with the planetary logi stations, except as an ingredient for a ILS

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's no reason not to have drones in both sides unless this is literally your first towers in which case put them in the supply side while you make more to put in the demand side.

Getting into network design I like using planetary as a mesh supplied by a handful of interplanetary towers per planet but that's as much aesthetics and organization than anything it gives you over using interplanetary towers everywhere. I'd argue in times of underproduction it's nicer not having interplanetary as a mesh because there's a better chance of keeping a few things running really well while others starve. But the counter argument there is don't underproduce and if you do what's the problem if everything is starved since everything can keep working that little bit?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm currently locked by power generation. I dearly want to just shove masses of drones in each tower but I cannot supply the power required to support this.

I suppose the answer is to just scale up power production but I'm still using thermal plants and they're starting to lose steam even used in mass.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zedprime posted:

But the counter argument there is don't underproduce

:hmmyes:

I've actually not played DSP at all this week, after playing ONLY DSP since like February and what finally broke my 600+ hour streak was the thought of more mining. The amount of mines you have to place to keep up with production is insane, they really need to make that easier because its easily a full third of your playing time.

Just one mine per vein patch please.

Carcer posted:

I'm currently locked by power generation. I dearly want to just shove masses of drones in each tower but I cannot supply the power required to support this.

I suppose the answer is to just scale up power production but I'm still using thermal plants and they're starting to lose steam even used in mass.

Polar solar my dude. You can run planets off deuteron, once you get there, though. Solar sails are the best midgame solution but that takes a whole lotta work to set up.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
My main planet is orbiting a gas giant, and has a tilt so that I can't get consistent solar on either pole. I can't up and move since the other planets don't have water.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

With planets with inconvenient orbits, I just circumnavigate the equator in a band of panels. Ugly, but serviceable.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Its still quite a pain to get silicon, but I suppose its not a bad next project to work on.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Carcer posted:

When you're starting trying to make hub production areas with logistics ships, is it better for the drones to be in the supply or demand side tower?

I did both. My factories feed interstellar towers set to local supply and remote demand, and then I set up a mall of towers set to local demand and remote supply, that also have items pulled and fed to chests surrounding a recharge station. This let me:

* Not have to worry about laying my factories out for accessibility and finding items for inventory management, and spread out my construction within the planet for a few items not produced with the rest (hook into existing accumulator, power cell, etc. ptoduction)
* Integrate the lines I'd built off world, mostly solar panel production
* Set my mall logis up to send partial shipments for the items that I remote pull not in bulk - in the dozens rather than the hundreds - and not have to worry about updating that when requesting
* Get a recycle functionality working where I could dump belt/loader/factory 1/2 into a remote supply tower on remote planets and get them upgraded to tier 3, or stick excess items into a logi supply when done building on a remote planet and have them available to me in my mall stocks if needed

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Carcer posted:

Its still quite a pain to get silicon, but I suppose its not a bad next project to work on.
When you're getting up a titanium supply chain you might as well set up a solar panel supply chain on the same planet. Bringing home titanium is also a great time to bring home 5 stacks of solar panels and slap them at whatever lattitude gives you pretty regular solar exposure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Carcer posted:

My main planet is orbiting a gas giant, and has a tilt so that I can't get consistent solar on either pole. I can't up and move since the other planets don't have water.

Yeah just do both poles, even on a horizontal world they'll be fine. The jump from home planet spaghetti to full logistics is one of the more challenging parts of the game, lots of flying back and forth shuttling Ti and Si

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Speaking of silicon, having completed the entire game before realizing the stone to silicon recipe was a thing... is it ever remotely worthwhile after you've gotten a single silicon vein set up to mine? Instincts say no.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

Speaking of silicon, having completed the entire game before realizing the stone to silicon recipe was a thing... is it ever remotely worthwhile after you've gotten a single silicon vein set up to mine? Instincts say no.

I suspect that recipe exists to allow creation of solar panels before solar exploration, and as a fallback for when your home system has a woefully low amount of silicon in general.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have never made a single ore of silicon from stone.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I started up a stone to silicon line to slowly make solar, almost never used the solar cause I just brought more panels home from my titanium planet, and then eventually tied it into my main silicon train so I technically had stone to silicon contributing to research as late as 40 something hours in before the stone ran out.

Deserves an A for effort but definitely F for output.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I, uh, didn't know know the recipe existed. I'd have used it to cut down on going back and forth a bit.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Carcer posted:

Two small things to keep in mind:

1) The massive power draw is mostly only at the beginning, when the tower battery fills.
2) There’s a slider on the tower window that lets you limit the max power draw, to a point.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Someone please tell me there's a hotkey I'm missing so I can drag out long chains of buildings. Putting down all these solar panels one at a time is killing me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How do you feel about mods :grin:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
How likely are they to break my game.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Very unlikely.

Start with this one: https://dsp.thunderstore.io/package/brokenmass/MultiBuild/

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I got this game the other day and I'm well hooked. Is it normal for your starting system to only have one silicon vein? I'm worried I'm gonna tap it out and I'm not sure how hard it's gonna be to get interstellar logistics going.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

I got this game the other day and I'm well hooked. Is it normal for your starting system to only have one silicon vein? I'm worried I'm gonna tap it out and I'm not sure how hard it's gonna be to get interstellar logistics going.

The home system will have a lowish amount, but should suffice until you can go interstellar and tap other systems for their silicon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My latest save had 2m iron in the starter, that was a fun race to warpers

And no, you should have a planet with a couple of million Si, at least I did out of my 15 saves.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Don't forget that you can crunch raw stone into silicon at a smelter. It's slow and extremely inefficient, but it can help supplement other sources until you get interplanetary drones going.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zurai posted:

Don't forget that you can crunch raw stone into silicon at a smelter. It's slow and extremely inefficient, but it can help supplement other sources until you get interplanetary drones going.

And the only other use for stone is glass and stone is everywhere so you almost might as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You'll need it to make acid too.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

zoux posted:

You'll need it to make acid too.

One planet with sulfuric acid seas and I never needed more acid supply again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

One planet with sulfuric acid seas and I never needed more acid supply again.

Yes but to get there you’ll need titanium alloy

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

zoux posted:

And no, you should have a planet with a couple of million Si, at least I did out of my 15 saves.

Nope, only my inner lava planet had any at all and it was literally one vein in the low 6 digits. I checked it against the total resources in the system map and that was 100% of it.

Zurai posted:

Yeah I’ve been doing this, got concentric sushi belt factories around a couple of stone supplies, cranking out the orange computer chip things (on phone so looking up the proper name is :effort:) and solar panels.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
You're guaranteed a planet with at least 1 silicon vein but depending on the planet types you random into that may be all the silicon you get.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s been a while, roughly how many processors does a person need before they can make a couple dozen warpers?

Edit: looks like one per fractionator if you use that to make deuterium?

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 15, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Is Universe Exploration 3 functional? It's supposed to let me view veins within 6 light years but I'm looking at systems 3 light years away and it's not giving me any info on the resources.

e: Never mind, I think I was zooming in too far. I can't see veins on individual planets but I can see "signal detected" if I just select the star.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 15, 2021

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, you only get system info, you need to actually fly there to see the distribution between the planets.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Thinking of picking this game up, how much of a braindrain is this game compared to factorio /satisfactory? Satisfactory was a much more peaceful relaxed but not as engaging experience for me, and factorio is .... exciting but sometimes insanely humbling experience.

I mean, ill be honest, im picking the game up, i just want to know what im getting into.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Talkc posted:

Thinking of picking this game up, how much of a braindrain is this game compared to factorio /satisfactory? Satisfactory was a much more peaceful relaxed but not as engaging experience for me, and factorio is .... exciting but sometimes insanely humbling experience.

I mean, ill be honest, im picking the game up, i just want to know what im getting into.

Hard to define. There are no external pressures in DSP like Factorio has, and logistics systems let you get away with a lot less flow optimization since it sorts itself out eventually. It has different internal pressures instead. By the time I was in the mid to late stages I usually just put on some bluegrass and put together production lines for a couple hours at a time. It can be pretty relaxing. It's as much of a time vampire as Factorio or more, though, so be aware.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I think it's fair to say that the people who got hooked, got hooked hard.

I didn't play another single player game from late January to mid March.

I had a notebook I kept with me, telling me which planets and systems were focusing on mining or building x. I'd doodle in that notebook in class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I had a hard time thinking about anything else for a while. It’s a very engaging game. First game I’ve ever maintained a spreadsheet for (until I discovered the ratio calculator).