Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

NOW there's one last thing. A cheat save for anyone who can't figure out how to edit their own save file:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1589pcsT7v5c9PE0REQfZle6kcB0eub17?usp=sharing

Just drop both files into the save folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Been slowly making progress and only on Day 3/Wednesday so far with my character straddling the line between communism and moralism while being berated for both by the voices in my head.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Grouchio posted:

What? It takes 6 seconds on my PC.

Sadly, the PS4 port performs nothing like that. Load times are like 30-60s. It’s brutal going up to see Evrart, for instance.

Freddles
Feb 5, 2009

minya posted:

Sadly, the PS4 port performs nothing like that. Load times are like 30-60s. It’s brutal going up to see Evrart, for instance.

Yeah. The lovely fast travel system plus no fast travel to Evrart basically meant that I rarely made the effort to see him, because otherwise it's at least 6 loading screens to get there and back each of which is at least a minute long.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Freddles posted:

Yeah. The lovely fast travel system plus no fast travel to Evrart basically meant that I rarely made the effort to see him, because otherwise it's at least 6 loading screens to get there and back each of which is at least a minute long.
Fast travel to Evrart was on everyone's wishlist, and I have no idea why the whole thing was so poorly implemented.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

What? It takes 6 seconds on my PC.

You’ll notice they left a sly clue in their post that explains this discrepancy

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Yeah, I can't imagine the nightmare of playing this on PS4. It's annoying enough going to see Evrart through 3 loading screens on PS5 when it takes only 5-6 second per screen.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The distribution of load screens is really weird in this game, somehow the entire "outdoors" part of the game is one continuous map but the Whirling is split into three maps (or is it four? forgot)

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
That's so you get the dope low-volume whirling in rags theme from upstairs and then when you first descend into the wild world of disco elysium the theme fully kicks in and takes you away.

No I don't think that's the real reason, but that was a cool moment. Same with stepping into the streets and hearing the martinaise theme.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

repiv posted:

The distribution of load screens is really weird in this game, somehow the entire "outdoors" part of the game is one continuous map but the Whirling is split into three maps (or is it four? forgot)

I assume that whatever engine they use can’t accommodate maps that stack on top of each other

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Yeah I really liked the changes in music between the areas. I never thought about it being a one on top of the other issue because the levels in the doomed commerical area are different but I guess they aren't stacked.

I just finished my second playthrough and oddly had the fast travel ability through most of the game, but it stopped at the tail end. I think this is one of the few games where I actually don't like fast travel, going past things a few times was a good reminder of areas to look or people to talk to.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Maybe this is just because I played the hell out of it when it first came out but I like the fast travel a great deal. I just wish there was one for Evrart.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Fast travel rarely ever worked for me, even after knowing the details of how it was supposed to. Didn't mind on a first playthrough but I'm sure it's going to annoy me when I do another

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Fast travel has literally never worked for me. It's so buggy that it almost feels intentional

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Fast travel for me seemed to always break on day four but over multiple runs it didn't seem to stop working on a consistent flag trigger or anything, it's obviously meant to stop working when you return to the Whirling and walk into the tribunal, so that setpiece can go off as intended but it seems the implementation is bugged somehow.

I feel like no fast travel to Evrart is straight up trolling though tbh

Saying that it seemed to work properly on my last run a couple days ago, and while i didn't see any news of a patch i did also notice on that run that they fixed the bug with Goracy's Brew where the FYS boost never wore off and could stack, so there must have been some bugfixes.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Haha, is there anything better than busting out some serious moves to anodic dance music in the church. Haven't smiled this much at a game for a long time.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Flayer posted:

Haha, is there anything better than busting out some serious moves to anodic dance music in the church. Haven't smiled this much at a game for a long time.

Speaking as someone who spent eight years of their life organizing club nights and DJing, it’s incredible how accurate everything about the nightclub is, especially the ravers’ rhetoric and ideas.

Clearly the team behind Disco Elysium truly understands the rave.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

minya posted:

Speaking as someone who spent eight years of their life organizing club nights and DJing, it’s incredible how accurate everything about the nightclub is, especially the ravers’ rhetoric and ideas.

Clearly the team behind Disco Elysium truly understands the rave.

Egghead being Scooter took me a while to realise but makes me happy

Scooter's still going, has an antipandemic song, still fights for the rave

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Spangly A posted:

I had a feeling it might be him but the more I think about it the more it must be. Scooter is going to fight for the rave until their last breath.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

For anyone who enjoys watching blind playthroughs live, Pat (former Super Best Friend, currently of Castle Superbeast and streaming on twitch under patstaresat ) has done all the side quests he's going to do and has just passed the point of no return into the tunnels under the FELD building on the way to confront Ruby and will be wrapping up his run of the game tonight starting around 7:00 EST. For those just tuning in, throughout his run so far he has stayed sober, had a reality lowdown, danced the last dance, disappointed Cuno, done a good job of the autopsy, and Mr. Evrart has helped him find his gun.

Paladin fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 13, 2021

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I had a feeling it might be him but the more I think about it the more it must be. Scooter is going to fight for the rave until their last breath.

I was just talking about scooter to a 30yo friend who somehow missed all of rave culture, went googling for a few videos and saw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwQw6_X9hPk

then it suddenly made sense

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
SKIBADEE SKIBADANGER

I AM THE REARRANGER

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Paladin posted:

For anyone who enjoys watching blind playthroughs live, Pat (former Super Best Friend, currently of Castle Superbeast and streaming on twitch under patstaresat ) has done all the side quests he's going to do and has just passed the point of no return into the tunnels under the FELD building on the way to confront Ruby and will be wrapping up his run of the game tonight starting around 7:00 EST. For those just tuning in, throughout his run so far he has stayed sober, had a reality lowdown, danced the last dance, disappointed Cuno, done a good job of the autopsy, and Mr. Evrart has helped him find his gun.

It's remarkable that a boring, straight-laced vanilla elemental like CohhCarnage was able to take the game at face value and engage with the silly options the way the developers likely intended and then you have Pat who's all nooooo I can't pick the funny options or learn about cryptids because I've utterly convinced myself that Kim is the loser square the game falsely sets him up as and he'll hate it and I already internalized all the muh precious Kim memes before playing!!! Start at the top and choose at the bottom!? What does that even mean aiiiieeee I'm going insaneeeeeeee (he legit could not understand what the game was saying when that line came up during the rooftop interview, such a baffling and hilarious reaction)

Oh well at least he's not Woolie who did the entire bookstore while straight up ignoring Annette entirely

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Spangly A posted:

I think he’s kind of an amalgamation of Scooter (the skibadee line makes that obvious) and Keith Flint (RIP), the MC and hype man from The Prodigy.

Noid is the really fascinating one. The rave philosopher. My favorite character in the game besides Kim.

Also feel like ‘Arno van Eyck’ is probably a reference to Richard D. James / Aphex Twin, and “anodic dance music” is probably a riff on IDM / “intelligent” dance music.

minya fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 14, 2021

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Perfect Potato posted:

It's remarkable that a boring, straight-laced vanilla elemental like CohhCarnage was able to take the game at face value and engage with the silly options the way the developers likely intended and then you have Pat who's all nooooo I can't pick the funny options or learn about cryptids because I've utterly convinced myself that Kim is the loser square the game falsely sets him up as and he'll hate it and I already internalized all the muh precious Kim memes before playing!!! Start at the top and choose at the bottom!? What does that even mean aiiiieeee I'm going insaneeeeeeee (he legit could not understand what the game was saying when that line came up during the rooftop interview, such a baffling and hilarious reaction)

Oh well at least he's not Woolie who did the entire bookstore while straight up ignoring Annette entirely

he's currently doing the ending sequence and when he got the Deserter's speech that ends with "the bourgeois are not human" he responded with "you've lost your mind." then he starting yelling because that triggered the World's Most Laughable Centrist achievement

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

he's currently doing the ending sequence and when he got the Deserter's speech that ends with "the bourgeois are not human" he responded with "you've lost your mind." then he starting yelling because that triggered the World's Most Laughable Centrist achievement

aaahahahah

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

hahaha such perfect timing! :D

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Watching his stream, I never heard about our station shooting up a bunch of churches to hunt down our unnamed enemies

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

minya posted:

I think he’s kind of an amalgamation of Scooter (the skibadee line makes that obvious) and Keith Flint (RIP), the MC and hype man from The Prodigy.

Noid is the really fascinating one. The rave philosopher. My favorite character in the game besides Kim.

Also feel like ‘Arno van Eyck’ is probably a reference to Richard D. James / Aphex Twin, and “anodic dance music” is probably a riff on IDM / “intelligent” dance music.
Arno van Eyck is most assuredly a reference to Paul van Dyk and Egg Head is pure Scooter, as much as I would like them to be references to cool British musicians.

That said The Noid made me think of rebellious British artists from the 70s/early 80s. David Bowie being the obvious one but also the general vibe of Punk.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

minya posted:

Oh yeah I think that's all pretty spot on.

If they're referencing Scooter I don't think it's a huge step that they'd put an Aphex Twin reference in.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

minya posted:

... “anodic dance music” is probably a riff on IDM / “intelligent” dance music.

I'm pretty sure it's just a play on EDM/electronic dance music, anode being a term used in electronics.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Bill Posters posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just a play on EDM/electronic dance music, anode being a term used in electronics.

I don’t think so. ‘EDM’ is definitely an American phrase that developed within the past decade or so. It isn’t commonly used in Europe, and ‘anodic dance music’ is referenced in-game as being experimental and avant-garde, compared to ‘disco’ which exists in-game as ‘old world dance music’. Feels like a play on the same phenomena with ‘IDM’ irl.

Flayer posted:

Arno van Eyck is most assuredly a reference to Paul van Dyk and Egg Head is pure Scooter, as much as I would like them to be references to cool British musicians.

That said The Noid made me think of rebellious British artists from the 70s/early 80s. David Bowie being the obvious one but also the general vibe of Punk.
Good call re Paul van Dyk, but doesn’t really fit with how van Eyck is positioned in the game, as an avant-garde artist and experimental musician. Probably a little of column A, a little of column B.

Edit: never mind, I was wrong about the avant-garde bit and you’re totally right re Paul van Dyk. Just unlocked the Arno van Eyck gig posters from the relevant thought and they’re all like, ‘van Eyck is TOTALLY TRANCEDENT’, so yeah, that’s PVD through and through.

Regardless, the devs clearly know their poo poo w/r/t electronic music history and culture. Unexpected (but unsurprising) treat.

minya fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 14, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Perfect Potato posted:

Huh. That's weird. I just watched his Resident Evil Village content (realized he exists due to DE, yeah) and found is immensely competent compared to generic streamer fair. Like... there's a giant fish, and he doesn't pretend to be afraid of it, and just briskly skirts around it during the bits where it's obviously meant to threaten you but not actually attack unless you fall in the water. Which seemed to show more medium awareness than 99% of people who play videogames for a living.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xander77 posted:

Huh. That's weird. I just watched his Resident Evil Village content (realized he exists due to DE, yeah) and found is immensely competent compared to generic streamer fair. Like... there's a giant fish, and he doesn't pretend to be afraid of it, and just briskly skirts around it during the bits where it's obviously meant to threaten you but not actually attack unless you fall in the water. Which seemed to show more medium awareness than 99% of people who play videogames for a living.

Eh, sounds like that game is just more in his comfort zone than DE is.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Australia has given DE an R18+ rating upon review: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-05-14-disco-elysium-no-longer-in-australian-classification-board-sin-bin

I think it was available on Steam anyway, but this means physical copies and console digital versions should be available now

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's my 3rd playthrough of the game in total and I'm still learning new things. I decided to give Klaasje the station call instead of arresting her this time and you can have a rather hard shivers check after and talk with her about the upcoming communist revolution, thats the main reason she has been hiding in Martinaise. I never knew!

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
a quick PSA - i don't think this has been mentioned in this iteration of the thread

if you found yourself enjoying Disco Elysium and want some more of Eastern European videosgame weirdness, i implore you to try Pathologic 2 if you haven't already

it's not at all like DE gameplay-wise (it's a much more stressful kinda-sorta immersive sim), but the story and the atmosphere are excellent, and it touches on some very similar themes - albeit from a very different point of view, if that makes sense. it also features great worldbuilding, a healthy touch of supernatural, and its own unique take on the whole "detective rpg" concept.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

P2 comes up occasionally. They are weirdly related games in a variety of ways as you noted. The DE-to-P2 crossover prospect is usually tough because you really have to be game for some misery and eurojank with P2. Whereas DE is so relatively polished and pleasurable to play that it almost escapes the eurojank category entirely.

That said they are both amazing. DE was my game of the last decade and P2 is probably in the top 5. There is mounting evidence that solving a mystery in a weird town is simply the best game genre

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

No Mods No Masters posted:

The DE-to-P2 crossover prospect is usually tough because you really have to be game for some misery and eurojank with P2.

my brain must be broken by all the other eurojank lol, cause P2 doesn't really feel all that janky to me - though it is a miserable experience, and it's definitely easy to bounce off of. maybe the jank just fits it well, i dunno

also, more games need to steal P2's Mind Map concept - it's probably *the* best way to organise quests and journal entries I've ever seen in a game, by far. at the very least, ZA/UM should steal it for their next game :v:

also, we definitely need more Weird Town Mystery Solving games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I would also give a shoutout to Paradise Killer as another weird town mystery genre representative worth taking a look at. It's a pretty different style of thing with more of an environmental storytelling focus but also its share of interesting similarities. It's not a classic like DE or P2 but it rattles around in my head occasionally