Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Has anyone in Labour even expressed disapproval of Rowling? It's such a complete non-story even if it happened, and I don't think it did.

They're talking about members

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Read another book, Tony

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Blair is just trying to smooth-talk his way into Hogwarts

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Would Tony Blair be the Prime Minister who briefly appears in the books or was that before?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Camrath posted:

Ah, but there’ll be more new hotness then! I’m building up stock levels atm hence the frequency of releases.

Have you ever done a maple syrup flavour? I used to buy tablet from a guy who sold in our office canteen, and that was far and away my favourite.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Has anyone in Labour even expressed disapproval of Rowling? It's such a complete non-story even if it happened, and I don't think it did.

He means the center/left as a collective has to embrace transphobia to stand a chance. gently caress off Tone.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Would Tony Blair be the Prime Minister who briefly appears in the books or was that before?

The PM appears at the start of the 6th book, so the Summer of '96. Major knew about wizards and terfs.

stev fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 15, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

He means the center/left as a collective has to embrace transphobia to stand a chance. gently caress off Tone.
Not just embrace transphobia but also reject the current medical and biological understanding of sex and gender altogether in favour of conspiracy theories.

How do they get down these rabbit holes? And as I said before, are there any other conspiracy nutters we have to lend approval to for the sake of respectability?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Guavanaut posted:

Not just embrace transphobia but also reject the current medical and biological understanding of sex and gender altogether in favour of conspiracy theories.

How do they get down these rabbit holes? And as I said before, are there any other conspiracy nutters we have to lend approval to for the sake of respectability?

Yes - the Washington consensus and the Chicago school of economics. That's what New Labour thinks we all need.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I've been seeing a take recently that New Labour were always racist and authoritarian, and it's simply not true! New Labour encouraged immigration and multiculturalism...until it started biting them on the rear end in the media at which point they wholeheartedly embraced racist narratives and policy.

(They were always always authoritarian shitheads to young people as part of their appeal to "Mondeo man" and "Worcester woman")

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I simply can nutt imagine that tonty blair would ever disregard the scientific consensus in his policymaking.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Camrath posted:

Ah, but there’ll be more new hotness then! I’m building up stock levels atm hence the frequency of releases.

I guess that's reasonable. I suppose it's my own fault for doubling up on flavours.

Carry on, Fudgemaster General.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Yeah New Labour really combined the worst aspects of bourgeois attitudes in that respect - they really did want to encourage immigration into the UK to drive down wages and then blamed the people who had listened to them and moved here for causing the low wages.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I recall his opinions on the innate savagery of 'black culture' while being engaged in a war of aggression.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
while not as vile as the rehabilitation of gwb seeing them try to bring tony back is pretty disgusting

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I think it's just as much Tone trying to bring himself back.

He keeps piping up every single time there is some sort of crisis or controversy, gets a few headlines, then essentially gets ignored.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

bump_fn posted:

while not as vile as the rehabilitation of gwb seeing them try to bring tony back is pretty disgusting

He never went away politically, just publicly as he spent his time supporting dictators. Corbyn drew him back into the public sphere as Corbyn was right on how bad Blair and Blairism is.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I would inagine that Blair and Rowling move in the same social circles and he's at the very least acquainted with her. They certainly share similar levels of detachment from how normal people live.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think looking back it's evident that Blair lives in a world of conspiracy theory as much as any of the internet lizardmen or MAGAs, whether it's Iraq having WMDs or neoliberal economics working or the link between skin melanin and the knife crime gene, he believes them not out of evidence, but because it's convenient to him to believe them, and chooses to promote them the same way that one might pass on a story about spiders in airport bathrooms. A hundred years back he'd be going on about "hey have you read this book about the Elders of Zion?"

That's not especially interesting, it just means he's a bad person. What is interesting is which conspiracies are tolerated in 'respectable' society (i.e. the society of Lord Adonis and the Guardian) and which ones aren't.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Reveilled posted:

Have you ever done a maple syrup flavour? I used to buy tablet from a guy who sold in our office canteen, and that was far and away my favourite.

I made Bacon and Maple Syrup back during my ‘experimenting with recipes’ phase- tasted great but sadly the texture was repulsive! I’ll definitely try a straight maple syrup variety one of these days though :)

Yvonmukluk posted:

I guess that's reasonable. I suppose it's my own fault for doubling up on flavours.

Carry on, Fudgemaster General.

Wow, you cannot possibly have known this, but I used to be known in another context as ‘the*-master general’, and this gave me a massive grin.

I’m going to be face to face trading at the upcoming LARPCon Kit-fair in early June (assuming it goes ahead), so expect a lot of releases in the next few weeks :)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
harry potter and the war crimes of basrah

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
harry potter and the resurrection of the asbo king

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What's also interesting is that you can take different people trading in different versions of essentially the same conspiracy theory, and get wildly different reactions from 'respectable' society.

Alex Jones, Tim Farron, and J.K. Rowling all played with the wider theory that there is some kind of conspiracy to erase or eradicate or interfere with biological sex using chemical means for nefarious ends. Jones was never welcome in polite society anyway but maintains his own separate alternative core who lapped it up, Farron was laughed into resignation and called a milk pervert, and Rowling was treated as brave and courageous and offered some made up essay of the year award.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I have.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Munin posted:

I think it's just as much Tone trying to bring himself back.

He keeps piping up every single time there is some sort of crisis or controversy, gets a few headlines, then essentially gets ignored.

Reel Politik had the right take on it, where they pointed out that Keith has less direct political experience than Wes Streeting, and is just clearly out of his depth. He also doesn't have a natural power base within the party so has surrounded himself with loyal but also inexperienced advisers. Hence why when it looks like poo poo is going south Mandelson and co are managing to worm their way into his ear because Keith is flailing and has nowhere else to turn.

It's really and indictment on the left that we couldn't convince soft left voters that Keith had very little experience and would not be able to deliver on his promise of competency, though equally those same soft leftists are being very stubborn that they were extremely naive and got absolutely hoodwinked in the leadership election.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

Rowling was treated as brave and courageous and offered some made up essay of the year award.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE_DF2-H_T0

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/_MichaelOswell_/status/1393195472844697602

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGS

CAN OOOOOOONLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

BEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tony Blair warns Labour will never win power if it keeps turning the fish gay with tesla scalar energy.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

MikeCrotch posted:

Reel Politik had the right take on it, where they pointed out that Keith has less direct political experience than Wes Streeting, and is just clearly out of his depth. He also doesn't have a natural power base within the party so has surrounded himself with loyal but also inexperienced advisers. Hence why when it looks like poo poo is going south Mandelson and co are managing to worm their way into his ear because Keith is flailing and has nowhere else to turn.

It's really and indictment on the left that we couldn't convince soft left voters that Keith had very little experience and would not be able to deliver on his promise of competency, though equally those same soft leftists are being very stubborn that they were extremely naive and got absolutely hoodwinked in the leadership election.

I know a couple of starmer voters that I still talk to regularily (mostly extended fam) and they hate him with a passion that impresses me.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Spangly A posted:

I know a couple of starmer voters that I still talk to regularily (mostly extended fam) and they hate him with a passion that impresses me.

Peak centrism is making everyone hate you and then expecting them to vote for you because it's obvious you're the sensible grown up.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1393486136115408896

Living an agrarian lifestyle has mutated the british psyche to the point anyone who moves location is the devil.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's time we stopped pandering to columnists. Indulging those who claim to be journalists by giving them designated websites and delusions of relevance has gone too far.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Peak centrism is making everyone hate you and then expecting them to vote for you because it's obvious you're the sensible grown up.

If you're pissing everybody off, it means you're doing something right :smuggo:

Stormgale posted:

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1393486136115408896

Living an agrarian lifestyle has mutated the british psyche to the point anyone who moves location is the devil.

Anna Soubry quote-tweeted that, saying it was "spot on", and is now replying to everyone who points out how racist it is by saying they didn't read the article. And ignoring everyone posting screenshots of the worst bits.

Oh, and boo-hooing about "debate" and "poisonous politics" because people are being mean to her.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The world we could have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JITpUxtji4s

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it’s pretty wild as an american seeing just how racist uk and europe is to travellers/roma/(i don’t know what the correct term is but i know you’re not supposed to say g-word)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I can't find the hole the mice are getting into my attic and I had to sleep downstairs last night because they were apparently playing with the blocks of poison I put up there, causing an even worse racket than usual.

Tell me how I stop pandering to these Mice.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bump_fn posted:

it’s pretty wild as an american seeing just how racist uk and europe is to travellers/roma/(i don’t know what the correct term is but i know you’re not supposed to say g-word)
Gypsy is fine as long as you use a capital G and are actually talking about Gypsies and not using it as an umbrella for all GRT peoples.

But yes, Europe is very racist against all of those groups and frequently does roll them all into one.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Astonished that it’s only 58%.

namelesstwo
May 7, 2007
the uber joker
If Scotland leaves the uk, can they crown Harry as their new king?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

namelesstwo posted:

If Scotland leaves the uk, can they crown Harry as their new king?

You want Jacobites? Because that's how you get Jacobites.