Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Eifert Posting posted:

Mid game spoiler: So are you supposed to be able to barely squeeze the truck into the undersea doors to get into that mine? You can just barely squeeze it in with no modules. Is there a way to open the doors more fully? It's a pain in the rear end pushing the truck through the gate, but I can't figure out another way to breathe long enough once you're in. The prawn suit probably fits, but I didn't unlock it until after I got down there.

I just did it with 02 plants and a seaglide. By the time you're coming back the O2 plants should have re-filled.

I don't remember what level of air tank I had at the time, pretty sure I had the rebreather tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Eifert Posting posted:

Mid game spoiler: So are you supposed to be able to barely squeeze the truck into the undersea doors to get into that mine? You can just barely squeeze it in with no modules. Is there a way to open the doors more fully? It's a pain in the rear end pushing the truck through the gate, but I can't figure out another way to breathe long enough once you're in. The prawn suit probably fits, but I didn't unlock it until after I got down there.

There is no way to get those doors open more.
I don't even think you can get the suit through there (its been awhile since I tried)
Once you get the 3rd tank you can do the whole run on that.
You could also carry a 2nd tank with you.
There is another way in, though it can get a little hot.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
You basically have to get a running start at the top of it where it's slightly wider and then just wobble the boat around until you pass through. It definitely doesn't seem intentional that you can squeeze it in there.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You can fit the prawn in there. I explored it w seaglide and O2 plants first though.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I figured the prawn had to fit because there were so many of those gigantic resource blobs.

Also I would pay a tenner easy to be able to put the large rooms and the skylights in the original game.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 15, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea glitching the truck through those doors sounds like a great way to get it trapped in there forever. Prawn goes through it no probs, and it can be done with a no tank but a glider + o2 plants exclusively, if you have balls of steel (and/or just save before going).

Advice wanted:
I've still yet to find a place to use my mk3 depth modules. I've been building scanner rooms everywhere deep, so I can see another section really far down, until I realized that I was probably looking at the crystalline caverns and have already done that area. Turned the game off in disgust and haven't played it in a few days. I'm gonna trawl through that area again I guess, but I really don't want to due to the local hostile fauna and sinking feeling that it's just a dead end (apart from the plot location). Please tell me it's not something dumb like I have to explore above ground again to find a teleporter that goes to -900m or something retarded. I've already got the three "plot doodads" to give an idea of what I've seen.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Serephina posted:

Yea glitching the truck through those doors sounds like a great way to get it trapped in there forever. Prawn goes through it no probs, and it can be done with a no tank but a glider + o2 plants exclusively, if you have balls of steel (and/or just save before going).

Advice wanted:
I've still yet to find a place to use my mk3 depth modules. I've been building scanner rooms everywhere deep, so I can see another section really far down, until I realized that I was probably looking at the crystalline caverns and have already done that area. Turned the game off in disgust and haven't played it in a few days. I'm gonna trawl through that area again I guess, but I really don't want to due to the local hostile fauna and sinking feeling that it's just a dead end (apart from the plot location). Please tell me it's not something dumb like I have to explore above ground again to find a teleporter that goes to -900m or something retarded. I've already got the three "plot doodads" to give an idea of what I've seen.

Unless something changed between EA and release the spot where you make the "three doodads" is the deepest point in the game. The whole depth module thing seemed odd in BZ since there wasn't any place I needed to go that couldn't be accessed by both Seatruck and Prawn vessels.

It was weird when compared to the original game where even with depth mods the Seamoth only got you so far, then the Cyclops, then the Prawn to finish the game. Also, each level of mod/vessel just barely got you to the point that you could attain the next depth limit increase. In BZ I never needed anything more than the Seatruck with depth mod 3.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sorry, I have the recipes and materials for the three doodads, not having built them yet. I'm still missing some big room somewhere. Um, I'll guess it's in that area down there, so cheers. (I'm totally gonna use the prawn to kill everything, gently caress those things)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I went to the robotics lab, and it seems like you are supposed to procure resources on site (tons of titanium, quartz, copper, silver etc) but the ingredients I normally make from creepwine clusters are absent. Are you supposed to trek back into the water for just those, or are there some resources in the area that give you lube/plastic?

edit: Figured it out, seems to be no land based creepvine alternative but the cave near the southwest antenna has a few of the materials for the things I wanted to make. Though it would have been nice to have the snow vehichle before I crossed across all that snow.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 15, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Serephina posted:

Sorry, I have the recipes and materials for the three doodads, not having built them yet. I'm still missing some big room somewhere. Um, I'll guess it's in that area down there, so cheers. (I'm totally gonna use the prawn to kill everything, gently caress those things)

It's got a smallish door and iirc nothing really to point you there but yeah it's down in the red caves

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Serephina posted:

I just did that area and I thought the seaglide and oxygen plants was supposed to be how it was explored. It was a LITTLE tight on time, but I just parked a seatruck outside the door and came back for Oxygen if I wasn't keeping up with the plants often enough for my high capacity tank.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
How to get truck or prawn down into the mine easily.

The vents right in front of the docks, lead you down to the big room in the mine.
It can get a little tight here and there but very easy to get one or the other down this way.
I first discovered this when I was in the big room and looked up and noticed one of the meshes blocking the holes was torn off.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

e: f,b

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

OgNar posted:

At most I carry 2 storage.
I really couldnt imagine doing the whole thing.

There are a bunch of insects and even more cool deep-sea critters that look like this, or even function modularly or as a chain of colonial sea weirdoes. It's also more like a train than a truck. Why "truck!?!?!"

That said, I'm really warming up to it. So far just the main bit and 1 storage module, but that's already helped a ton and it's still pretty fast. Not fast enough to avoid a certain spooky shark squid thingy, but otherwise good enough!

This map feels a little harder for me to orientate, plus I need to carry more beacons. I found this blinking beacon thing on some random bit of land or glacier I found, but there was an item out of reach and I didn't have my gravity gun with me, or a beacon. I spent 2 hours tonight after trying to re-find that dang place but instead have found like several other alien artifacts.

I've also started a second base somewhere but need to go deep diving to find 1 more bit of copper and titanium, but then lost THAT on the way back up somehow! Wish your bases auto gave you a map marker.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Khanstant posted:

There are a bunch of insects and even more cool deep-sea critters that look like this, or even function modularly or as a chain of colonial sea weirdoes. It's also more like a train than a truck. Why "truck!?!?!"

That said, I'm really warming up to it. So far just the main bit and 1 storage module, but that's already helped a ton and it's still pretty fast. Not fast enough to avoid a certain spooky shark squid thingy, but otherwise good enough!

This map feels a little harder for me to orientate, plus I need to carry more beacons. I found this blinking beacon thing on some random bit of land or glacier I found, but there was an item out of reach and I didn't have my gravity gun with me, or a beacon. I spent 2 hours tonight after trying to re-find that dang place but instead have found like several other alien artifacts.

I've also started a second base somewhere but need to go deep diving to find 1 more bit of copper and titanium, but then lost THAT on the way back up somehow! Wish your bases auto gave you a map marker.

You'll be delighted to know your last point has a QoL solution higher up the tech tree. Be aware that the 1st module costs nothing in speed, but additional ones come at a steep steep price. If you actually attach 4+ you'll end up going slower than swim speed.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My save survived so I got to see the ending, kind of disappointing to be honest.

The animations and poo poo are cool but there's no answer, we don't get to know if the architects survived or not and the entire narrative of the game was centered around that question. What a cop out

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Serephina posted:

You'll be delighted to know your last point has a QoL solution higher up the tech tree. Be aware that the 1st module costs nothing in speed, but additional ones come at a steep steep price. If you actually attach 4+ you'll end up going slower than swim speed.

Put the horsepower mod on. I was trucking around with 5 segments and I was slower, but not too slow yet.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Haven't played the final release yet but one thing I found useful in early access was to have several pre-configured segment loadouts prepared. Need to haul poo poo from A to B? Just attach the vehicle part to the stack of 3-4 storage modules hovering above your base. Doing some deep exploration? Prawn dock + fabricator loadout already connected to each other and ready to go, etc.

I found that thinking of it as an actual truck than can pull a variety of different trailers depending on the situation helped me use it more efficiently than just stacking all available modules and calling it a day.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I like all the UI changes, and it seems a lot more polished that the main game, the only thing I don't like so far is that there is very little direction.

Subnautica was great at constantly giving you new goals, i'm 5 hours into BZ and i've only had a one or two points of interest.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

OgNar posted:

How to get truck or prawn down into the mine easily.

The vents right in front of the docks, lead you down to the big room in the mine.
It can get a little tight here and there but very easy to get one or the other down this way.
I first discovered this when I was in the big room and looked up and noticed one of the meshes blocking the holes was torn off.

To be fair, the hydrothermal vents in BZ are much more intense than in vanilla, making this a bit of a terrifying journey.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

My save survived so I got to see the ending, kind of disappointing to be honest.

The animations and poo poo are cool but there's no answer, we don't get to know if the architects survived or not and the entire narrative of the game was centered around that question. What a cop out

Yeah there was no way they were gonna answer that in the last ten seconds of the game, gotta save something for the next game never

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

zzMisc posted:

No, but A) it's still more Subnautica and I'm sure there were things you enjoyed besides the Cyclops, and B) a lot of things you might not end up liking about it can be modded away.

Yeah, I'm definitely excited for more Subnautica, i got the game in early access and will definitely want to play it. Just wanted to confoirm my suspicions.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I'm another Sea Truck stan but the amount of storage you get in the storage modules is pretty unimpressive.

Flatly: no. No cool voice, almost no customisation aside from a picture in the sleeper module, no sense of ponderous majesty as you navigate the icy depths (just annoyance as you bang the rear section into things), etc.

But it's pretty useful and probably more balanced from a gameplay perspective.

"Sea Truck" is actually a pretty apt name, it's like a base-model workhorse.

Fair assessment, thanks!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I just completed the giving the frozen leviathan it's medicine and figuring out where your sister died thing. Without spoiling, is that supposed to go anywhere beyond that?

It just feels really early and narratively awkward compared to the on-rails story in Subnautica. Almost like I got here accidently but I know I definitely didn't. I would have expected to have seen more Architect stuff by now.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
0.3% completion rate on the game on steam so far. I left my old run right at the end on the other side of the invisible wall.

Hope she can find food and water where they're going.

I don't think I've ever built the snow speeder in my playthrough nor mined any large resource nodes. There really needs to be a reason to use the prawn and the mining drill other than base building.

The modular sea truck is really fun to toy with and most of the biomes are fun to explore.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 15, 2021

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Oasx posted:

I like all the UI changes, and it seems a lot more polished that the main game, the only thing I don't like so far is that there is very little direction.

Subnautica was great at constantly giving you new goals, i'm 5 hours into BZ and i've only had a one or two points of interest.

I'm a bit in the same situation, I got two navigation beacon goals but both are out of my reach. I spent quite a while finding seatruck components, and I've now spent what feels like hours trying to track down a diamond for the depth upgrade. I scoured through the logs to see if there were any clues I missed, and it did tell me to go to the Robotics Lab, so I went there, but after "finishing" that area, I'm still left without a diamond to progress.

(By the way, if you don't have two beacons, you should explore the caverns beneath the emergency cache a bit. Use a pump and pipes to bring down oxygen, it's manageable even with no oxygen upgrade)

Also, I really wish this game had a "map". Not a full map that autofills, but just a top down grid that shows the beacons in relation to each other, and with the ability to add your own markers. I'm doing a bit of this on paper now, but triangulation is a bit of a chore.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 15, 2021

Caros
May 14, 2008

ymgve posted:

I'm a bit in the same situation, I got two navigation beacon goals but both are out of my reach. I spent quite a while finding seatruck components, and I've now spent what feels like hours trying to track down a diamond for the depth upgrade. I scoured through the logs to see if there were any clues I missed, and it did tell me to go to the Robotics Lab, so I went there, but after "finishing" that area, I'm still left without a diamond to progress.

(By the way, if you don't have two beacons, you should explore the caverns beneath the emergency cache a bit. Use a pump and pipes to bring down oxygen, it's manageable even with no oxygen upgrade)

Also, I really wish this game had a "map". Not a full map that autofills, but just a top down grid that shows the beacons in relation to each other, and with the ability to add your own markers. I'm doing a bit of this on paper now, but triangulation is a bit of a chore.

Delta labs has a map on the wall that shows the location of the various facilities in relation to one another. Kinda helped in my experience.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You know? I was really excited to see the "base attached air pump", but I never used one, never even considered it. Any time I could see something to dive for, I could risk it, and other than that it was "oh yea this is dangerous and I see a ton of sharks, nevermind".

Shame!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ymgve posted:

I really think having some sort of map system is the thing this game needs to be essentially perfect for me - it doesn't need to be an automap, but some way to triangulate and map out an area yourself would add so much to the exploration aspect. Miasmata is a dope as hell game that has this and it would be perfect for Subnautica

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Did my game get messed up somehow, or did they change the critical path? I crafted a Parallel Processing Unit before going to Marge's base since I had the stuff and instead of the Test Override Module fragment that was there when I played in early access, there was a Seatruck Perimeter Defense upgrade. This is where I stopped playing in EA so I'm at a loss as to where else it could be.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Martian Manfucker posted:

Did my game get messed up somehow, or did they change the critical path? I crafted a Parallel Processing Unit before going to Marge's base since I had the stuff and instead of the Test Override Module fragment that was there when I played in early access, there was a Seatruck Perimeter Defense upgrade. This is where I stopped playing in EA so I'm at a loss as to where else it could be.
It's still in the room, probably over to the left somewhere.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Serephina posted:

It's still in the room, probably over to the left somewhere.

I have been over the room ten times over with highlight interactables on, even. It's definitely not here.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I found diamonds. It was in a very obvious place now that I think about it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Serephina posted:

You know? I was really excited to see the "base attached air pump", but I never used one, never even considered it. Any time I could see something to dive for, I could risk it, and other than that it was "oh yea this is dangerous and I see a ton of sharks, nevermind".

Shame!

This game is really generous with the extra air, free-diving is a lot less terrifying. The Sonic Hedgehog air bubble plants, suckin air out of a butthole fish's hole, and I think at least one more source so far. I tried using the floating air pump things in the first but it's a lot of resources to get it deep enough to be helpful and you'd be able to go up the tech tree before then. I did create a few resource intense bases that were just long elevator shafts and multipurpose rooms leading all the way to ocean floor in some spooky zone.

Where did y'all tend to build your second base?

ymgve posted:

I found diamonds. It was in a very obvious place now that I think about it.

I found tons of diamonds for a long time without realizing it. Kept thinking it was Quartz and just ignored it, even though I was on the hunt specifically for diamonds. The mineral detector thing is what finally clued me in lol

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Khanstant posted:

I found tons of diamonds for a long time without realizing it. Kept thinking it was Quartz and just ignored it, even though I was on the hunt specifically for diamonds. The mineral detector thing is what finally clued me in lol

The "ding" that comes when you pick up gold and diamonds didn't clue you in?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ymgve posted:

The "ding" that comes when you pick up gold and diamonds didn't clue you in?

Can't get the ding if I wasn't picking up the "quartz."

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

I really think having some sort of map system is the thing this game needs to be essentially perfect for me - it doesn't need to be an automap, but some way to triangulate and map out an area yourself would add so much to the exploration aspect. Miasmata is a dope as hell game that has this and it would be perfect for Subnautica

I left a beacon on the dock of Delta Base and turned the HUD indicators for both that one and the drop pod to a unique color. That formed a nice north-south visual axis and once you have the compass you can figure out angles and distance to locate yourself pretty well.

I also dropped like 20 beacons all over the map, you can turn the HUD display on and off so I'd just have my two main orientation beacons on all the time and then turn on/off the others if I needed to revisit a location.

Also, very minor spoiler:
There are a couple of rough maps in the game now. They aren't super detailed, they just show you the approximate locations of things to check out. You can scan them into your PDA too.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
So I unlocked the ultra capacity tank before I even have the blueprints for it's prerequisite :psyduck:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Serephina posted:

Shame!

I figured that those were intended for putting outside your base so you could fill up your tank while you worked on getting your layout just right, but popping back into the hatch was never not convenient and quick.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

they would make a lot more sense if there were places you were going back to enough to justify laying infrastructure for that specific area but not enough to justify just building a base at, but there aren't, and the air pipes aren't much less hassle than just plopping down a little airlock anyway

I feel like things like that and the pathfinder tool are probably left over from when cave diving (in the narrow little caves like crashfish hang out in, not the big Lost River stuff) was planned to be much more extensive and important than it actually is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bedshaped posted:

So I unlocked the ultra capacity tank before I even have the blueprints for it's prerequisite :psyduck:

This was me with seatruck and prawn modules. Still no prawn but I'm one ingredient from making it's special hands.