Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Anyone know if that mod that lets you craft from nearby storage lockers works for below zero, and also where to find it these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Bedshaped posted:

So I unlocked the ultra capacity tank before I even have the blueprints for it's prerequisite :psyduck:

Same. If you're still looking for it, the schematic is in Twisty Bridges, on a foundation with a single I compartment attached to it.

Not sure if there are others, they should probably scatter some more around like seaglide fragments since it's a relatively important upgrade and easy to miss.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Btw. they mentioned on twitter that they are adding mod support to both games.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Hakkesshu posted:

I really think having some sort of map system is the thing this game needs to be essentially perfect for me - it doesn't need to be an automap, but some way to triangulate and map out an area yourself would add so much to the exploration aspect. Miasmata is a dope as hell game that has this and it would be perfect for Subnautica

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnauticabelowzero/mods/15

Wrr posted:

Anyone know if that mod that lets you craft from nearby storage lockers works for below zero, and also where to find it these days?

Yeah, EasyCraft: https://www.nexusmods.com/subnauticabelowzero/mods/10

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Oasx posted:

Btw. they mentioned on twitter that they are adding mod support to both games.

sweet, looking forward to the mod that replaces all the reapers with those anime girl versions of world war 2 battleships

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Looking forward to the mod that replaces the reaper echolocation roar with X Gon give it to ya.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Moon Slayer posted:

sweet, looking forward to the mod that replaces all the reapers with those anime girl versions of world war 2 battleships

uPen posted:

Looking forward to the mod that replaces the reaper echolocation roar with X Gon give it to ya.

Why stop there when you can do so much more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlJULk0f9xA

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Isn't the scanner room supposed to come with the camera dones? In my case it didn't have any, and in the camera screen inside it showed a message saying ' no camera found' or similar. Hell, I tried to build a new one, but the room won't link to it.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Isn't the scanner room supposed to come with the camera dones? In my case it didn't have any, and in the camera screen inside it showed a message saying ' no camera found' or similar. Hell, I tried to build a new one, but the room won't link to it.

In BZ you have to make the drones at the scanner room module station. I think they cost a computer chip to make each in addition to some other stuff, which makes it one of the pain points for my run. You need like a full locker of table coral before you leave the only biome in which you find them in reasonable concentration and that's probably still not enough.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Also if you're going to mod BZ you need to install the Q Mod Manager first.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

WebDO posted:

In BZ you have to make the drones at the scanner room module station. I think they cost a computer chip to make each in addition to some other stuff, which makes it one of the pain points for my run. You need like a full locker of table coral before you leave the only biome in which you find them in reasonable concentration and that's probably still not enough.

I'm glad they did this with them, I got annoyed at having them spawn in automatically with the scanner room and then clog up my HUD with camera drones that had been dragged off by stalkers. I never really used them though (probably because they kept getting stolen by stalkers, again :v: )

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Squidsharks can gently caress right off. I swear they camp scannable parts. As soon as I got a vehicle defense item I stopped what I was doing and sought one out to body.

Also is it just me or is lead low key the most annoying base item to find?

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 15, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

WebDO posted:

As I said

quote:

I tried to build a new one, but the room won't link to it.

edit: fixed, you have to drop it... but not anywhere nearby on the water, but on the spherical gaps in the exterior of the room.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 15, 2021

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Squidsharks can gently caress right off. I swear they camp scannable parts. As soon as I got a vehicle defense item I stopped what I was doing and sought one out to body.

It's not low key and it's the only thing that doesn't have Prawn nodes

I generally don't bother picking up diamond, ruby, or whatever they're calling uranium because they're way more common than lead

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They got rid of lead nodes? The asset already exists. :psyduck:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah lead was the hardest thing to find for me too. My trick for dealing with the sharks is to just ram them with the seatruck until they die :v:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Floor is lava posted:

There really needs to be a reason to use the prawn and the mining drill other than base building.

Self-defense. :colbert:

WebDO posted:

I generally don't bother picking up diamond, ruby, or whatever they're calling uranium because they're way more common than lead

I feel like it has to be some kind of programmer in-joke at this point, like keeping Gandhi super aggro in Civ.

Oasx posted:

I like all the UI changes, and it seems a lot more polished that the main game, the only thing I don't like so far is that there is very little direction.

Subnautica was great at constantly giving you new goals, i'm 5 hours into BZ and i've only had a one or two points of interest.

This is a pretty valid point. I think the drop pods + distress signals (and big obvious Aurora burning in the background) were clever way to drop breadcrumbs and lead the player along the story/tech tree progression in the original game. BZ sorta has that, but IIRC it mostly relies on you stumbling across certain areas to trigger the message, or find the right thing.

Serephina posted:

You'll be delighted to know your last point has a QoL solution higher up the tech tree.

There's one towards the bottom of it too: just build a beacon at your base :v:

Khanstant posted:

Where did y'all tend to build your second base?

I used to be extremely boring and always make my main base right next to the drop pod (in both games).

I just started a new BZ game and started building a new base, it's between the drop pod and Delta Base at the edge of the Deep Twisty Bridges (extremely mild spoiler). Great views, somewhat central, good smattering of resources nearby owing to being on the edge of 3 biomes.

Eifert Posting posted:

I have been being pretty reckless with them and so far haven't gotten nipped. Seaglide, constant movement, and using the inflatable thing to zoom back up to the surface (so refreshing to have the BZ one as opposed to the completely worthless one in the original game).

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 15, 2021

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I’ve play 8 hours of below zero, and I’ve yet to complete a blueprint for any of the seatruck additions (storage, fabricator, etc). I must be blind.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Graniteman posted:

I’ve play 8 hours of below zero, and I’ve yet to complete a blueprint for any of the seatruck additions (storage, fabricator, etc). I must be blind.

They're deeper.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Eifert Posting posted:

They're deeper.

I dunno. I’ve got 2/3 blueprint parts for each add on module. I’ve got the second seatruck depth module. I’ve free-dived to 800m. I think I’m just not seeing them as I swim past.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Graniteman posted:

I dunno. I’ve got 2/3 blueprint parts for each add on module. I’ve got the second seatruck depth module. I’ve free-dived to 800m. I think I’m just not seeing them as I swim past.

The area under twisty bridges, where the squidsharks are has storage and fabricator.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Few annoying bugs: Jumping inside, sometimes you just get hung up on the cieling awkwardly and if you're not careful might get stuck on something.

Getting stuck on the ground. I get wedged in a freaking moonpool just casually walking around the perimeter. Had to dig up cheat codes to avoid death by starvation.

The worst though is just arbitrarily not letting me into the seatruck. Just drowned right outside of my seatruck as it refused to let me in. I spawned back inside, then got out to see wtf, and couldn't get back in again! I managed to push it away from the wall a bit and got in. I'm glad you spawn in your ship instead of at homebase, but geez, dying while being totally safe because my ship bugs out was annoying.

Graniteman posted:

Make sure you're scanning every sea monkey nest. There's an area where just a massive number of sea monkey caves that had a lot of the good vehicle plans. Near (within 300m or so) the drop pod should also be a hole leading to some light sea monkey caves for some other stuff if you aint got em.

I'm thinking of setting up my true Home Base near the Mega Jelly, good source of geothermal energy, resources, pretty, deepish and I just got some cool parts of make a big base thats not just tubes and bubbles.

I set up a second base next to the big crashed ship and purple vents, but eh, good pitstop to store crap though. I really want to set me up a bunch of them special "anywhere" chests.

My big bonehead move today was laser cutting open a half dozen panels in shipwrecks, then couldn't grab, thought maybe it was a "later" thing. I thought they were batteries or something and somehow never tried to scan them, then I realized and had to retrace my steps to find those old ones.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
also, what's the deal with getting in/out of seatruck. IIRC there was this issue kind of in the original too, but how come sometimes you eject immediately out of your ship(with modules attached), skipping the ladder and interior and just be in the open water. If you enter ship through storage module sometimes itll put you directly in pilots seat too.

Whats the deal. Maybe speedrunners know, seems like theyd want to use the quick eject.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Speedrunners won't build a truck

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I think it has to do with the angle of the truck. If it's too steep inside to walk around it will plop you in the pilots seat.

I built my base in the opening to the mine. It's located near enough to stuff I wanted and there's a nice source of geothermal energy there.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Khanstant posted:

also, what's the deal with getting in/out of seatruck. IIRC there was this issue kind of in the original too, but how come sometimes you eject immediately out of your ship(with modules attached), skipping the ladder and interior and just be in the open water. If you enter ship through storage module sometimes itll put you directly in pilots seat too.

Whats the deal. Maybe speedrunners know, seems like theyd want to use the quick eject.

If you tilt up or down, no matter how many modules attached, you eject without animation.
Unless I have a need to get into the storage i just auto tilt because why waste time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Huh, you know I never used pipes much in the base game. But at least they finally made them stack so it could be fun to carry some around-"

Pipes don't stack in Below Zero. Yeesh. Also I discovered apparently the Ultra Glide fins are cut (yes I know I'm one of the like, three people who gives a poo poo). Gee I wonder if the mid sized air tank you spend air to swim faster long after you have a seaglide anyways had anything to do with that.

Such a wild ride of "Better than the last game" and "More petty than the last game" now that launch has come along.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was going to ask if that oxygen boost thing was ever handy. Is it even faster than your little seadoo thing?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

I was going to ask if that oxygen boost thing was ever handy. Is it even faster than your little seadoo thing?

I didn't make one, but if the wiki is to be believed it is a fairly sad sounding result of "lightly boost swimming speed by approximately 0.5m/s, at the cost of an additional five units of oxygen per second" with a capacity of +90 seconds like a regular high capacity tank. And the same speed penalty just for wearing it of 0.47m/s of a regular tank, so you are basically spending air to cancel it's weight penalty?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 16, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol weird, I didn't even know the tanks had a speed penalty. I get it, physically, but gameplay-wise... what's the point? Is this a real trade-off, I can't recall a single moment in either game so far where "oh man if only I was .03 m/s faster I could do this thing"

I got fed up not finding magnetite without the mineral finder blinking right in front of me and I finally catch the light to see it. Turned on the accessibility option for highlightable objects and wow -- not only found a bunch of magnetite quickly but on my way home, entire zones I thought i'd strip-mined turned out to have heaps of stuff i missed. feels like a cheat code, kind of wish I had built that as an alien upgrade.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Eifert Posting posted:

It absolutely is, and I ran down to where you can find magnetite as soon as possible so I could get the HUD scanner chip, and set up a small base in the twisty bridges to just farm it. Dont take away the mining nodes when everything (Seatruck modules, all the cool glass dome stuff) all need at least 1 lead, and many times 3+ :argh:

PokeJoe posted:

\
I built my base in the opening to the mine. It's located near enough to stuff I wanted and there's a nice source of geothermal energy there.

:same:

Its a central location with a good amount of space with a lot of resources nearby.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

So for everyone sad over the whole Seamoth thing, it looks like you can still spawn it in, you just need to be a proud member of the KKK.
Doesnt seem to work for the Cyclops tho.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there a seatruck module for mining? I see lots of nodes for mining but haven't built the Prawn yet. If I could avoid it altogether, that'd be great. So far just me and my seatruck + 1 storage module have been getting everything well enough. I suppose I'm at the point of wanting to make my main proper base and will need more storage modules and if you give a mouse a cookie...

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
No, you'll need the Prawn for that, but there is a Seatruck module to haul it about. So it acts like 3/4ths of a storage module, I guess?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Beat the game and got all the achievements, last one I unlocked was crafting the snow suit since it never seemed necessary. I guess it could be useful if you did the land sections early but it's better to wait until you have the prawn suit so you can abuse the boost and grapple physics. If you keep grappling in front of yourself and jumping while running diagonally and boosting it will build up momentum and you can launch yourself across the map at about 4x normal running speed. Helps to get through the more tedious parts of the game a lot faster with the bonus of being immune to cold and ice worms.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Word, just built the Prawn and a bunch of upgrades for it, needed to clear up storage space. Still haven't unlocked drill arm so didn't bother with the module to carry it yet either. I was tempted to craft the vortex arm and torpedo arm but not sure what I'd use em for yet. Even the scariest red fish is pretty easy to avoid, or if you run right towards it kind of whiffs.

Gonna go try and find the mines since I'm guessing it's a pretty early area I've circumnavigated until now. I'm also realizing this base I want to build will probably be mostly vanity. Outside of moonpool and control room, my dang "temporary" drop pod base kind of already has everything I think. It's ugly and sloppy though

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The Seatruck needs a «level out» button - it’s annoying to leave the driver’s seat and see the sub is at a ten degree angle

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It needs a drat rearview camera. I just built a storage module... and it exploded while I was trying to attach it. The rubble isn't even salvageable :-(

Lead and plasteel don't grow on sea trees you know!!!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

It needs a drat rearview camera. I just built a storage module... and it exploded while I was trying to attach it. The rubble isn't even salvageable :-(

Lead and plasteel don't grow on sea trees you know!!!
Apparently there used to be a rear view camera, but the prawn docked on the back or some other element blocked it. So they "solved" this problem by just saying gently caress it and removing it entirely :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Section Z posted:

Apparently there used to be a rear view camera, but the prawn docked on the back or some other element blocked it. So they "solved" this problem by just saying gently caress it and removing it entirely :v:

This is equivalent to ME3 and weapon holstering costing like 1.5 mb of ram too much on consoles, so they removed it entirely.