Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

TV Zombie posted:

Io and Candace should definitely be promoted. It's a shame they haven't been called up yet.

The promotion is to a roster where women never get on TV, though and if the money is roughly the same now as it apparently is they're better off where they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Becky knew Kairi was injured and was trying really hard to protect her and there was a point shortly after that power bomb where she and Asuka talked to each other and pretty clearly decided "dude, we've gotta go to the finish."

Charlotte goes past her being too stupid to tell there was an injury or just Gotta Get My poo poo In because of that slap. That's pretty clear malice, right there.

Anwyay, this is the spear I was referring to. This is about when I noticed that Charlotte had basically decided that selling is beneath her.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

That slap to Kairi after that failed spear feels so malicious on charlottes part. My goodness.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Guys I'm beginning to think Charlotte isn't a very good wrestler!

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

TV Zombie posted:

That slap to Kairi after that failed spear feels so malicious on charlottes part. My goodness.

Sad thing is, she learned nothing from it because like a month later when asked about it in an interview...she admitted that she cared more about getting her poo poo in and looking good. And she faced zero real punishment for it considering she won the Rumble at the very next PPV. That situation plus the two Nia Jax situations were supposedly the major reasons why Kairi decided to move back to Japan.

WWE either didn't notice or outright ignored the warning signs in regards to Charlotte and Kairi as well. Because I remember in the Rumble from 2019, she decided to no-sell ALL of Kairi's offense. The chops, spear, everything. That should have set off some warning alarms right there.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 16, 2021

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Flair was also the person who leaked that Asuka was not only married, but had a child. Nobody had even knew she was married because she tended to keep her personal life very private :v:

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

Sad thing is, she learned nothing from it because like a month later when asked about it in an interview...she admitted that she cared more about getting her poo poo in and looking good. And she faced zero real punishment for it considering she won the Rumble at the very next PPV. That situation plus the two Nia Jax situations were supposedly the major reasons why Kairi decided to move back to Japan.

You are making that last part up.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Eat My Fuc posted:

Nope. It's pretty obvious that's the reason why, and she even strongly hinted as much in a couple of interviews shortly after leaving back to Japan. And it's hard to blame her either considering WWE never actually punished Nia or Charlotte for their actions. The biggest thing to come out of the Nia/Kairi stuff is that it ended up with the Buckle Bomb being banned for awhile. Kairi even mentioned that her husband was more than willing to move to the US so she could continue wrestling for WWE, but she told him not to. That she had made up her mind that she was going back to Japan after her second (much worse) injury inflicted by Nia Jax.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 16, 2021

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I have no sympathy for anyone who wrestles for WWE

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If I'm not mistaken Kairi went back to Japan, because a "WWE Brand Ambassador" and when she asked to work with Stardom (I think it was them?) she got told no, because she's still a WWE talent.

They have absolutely killed that poor girl's love of wrestling. How could anyone hate Kairi?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

RealFoxy posted:

If I'm not mistaken Kairi went back to Japan, because a "WWE Brand Ambassador" and when she asked to work with Stardom (I think it was them?) she got told no, because she's still a WWE talent.

Yeah. WWE sees Stardom as competition and is probably still bitter that Rossy wouldn't sell the company to them.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Doesn't Kairi still "officially" work for WWE?

As in she still draws a paycheck for doing some sort of nebulous 'promotion' of NXT Japan?

I mean good luck to her for milking Vince and his evil corporation for as much money as she can, whilst she gets to live a happy life with her husband. But also BOO to that evil corporation for wasting some of her best years as a performer, and not giving half an ounce of care or concern when she was repeatedly injured, both maliciously and by neglect.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

What! The WWE wouldn't let one of their "independent contractors" wrestle for someone else? Well I am shocked! Who could have seen this coming? Ah bloo bloo

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

What! The WWE wouldn't let one of their "independent contractors" wrestle for someone else? Well I am shocked! Who could have seen this coming? Ah bloo bloo
Kairi isn't even a wrestler anymore, she just wanted to show up for a Stardom show. That's kinda hosed. They have her promoting NXT Japan, which like NXT UK is only coming into existence in total spite because nobody would sell their company to the WWE.

And like NXT UK, NXT doesn't actually exist. So all Kairi actually does is stand in front of a green screen studio set and introduce clips for WWE in Japan.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

RealFoxy posted:

Flair was also the person who leaked that Asuka was not only married, but had a child. Nobody had even knew she was married because she tended to keep her personal life very private :v:

This one I've never been able to get behind as much. Especially because I'm pretty sure I've heard people say they knew Asuka was married with a child before Charlotte said that.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Yeah I'm sure Kairi was just tickled pink by continuously getting domed by all of the lovely untrained assholes that WWE never stops pushing.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

MJeff posted:

This one I've never been able to get behind as much. Especially because I'm pretty sure I've heard people say they knew Asuka was married with a child before Charlotte said that.

Yeah I'm sure Kairi was just tickled pink by continuously getting domed by all of the lovely untrained assholes that WWE never stops pushing.
People knew that because someone doxxed her private address in Vegas. She never actually volunteered any of that information

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Alan_Shore posted:

Always have some respect for the Kanellis for signing a massive contract while hiding she was pregnant.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

on the negative side wwe asks everyone if they are pregnant now and makes them legally swear to it

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Does it count if it’s Ric Flair’s

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

RealFoxy posted:

Kairi isn't even a wrestler anymore, she just wanted to show up for a Stardom show. That's kinda hosed. They have her promoting NXT Japan, which like NXT UK is only coming into existence in total spite because nobody would sell their company to the WWE.

And like NXT UK, NXT doesn't actually exist. So all Kairi actually does is stand in front of a green screen studio set and introduce clips for WWE in Japan.

She is not a wrestler or brand ambassador. She is an independent contractor for WWE and gets paid to do what they tell her to do. I’m honestly surprised she wasn’t fired from that deal in 2020 or 2021’s roster cuts. She’s getting paid to do virtually nothing

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Astro7x posted:

She is not a wrestler or brand ambassador. She is an independent contractor for WWE and gets paid to do what they tell her to do. I’m honestly surprised she wasn’t fired from that deal in 2020 or 2021’s roster cuts. She’s getting paid to do virtually nothing

They pay her not to make money for someone else.

Kenny Omega made the mistake of saying in an interview she’d be his number one dream signing for the AEW women’s division, they’re going to kee her signed as long as possible to prevent that, even if she’s effectively retired.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Astro7x posted:

If there's one thing we can count on WWE doing, it's doubling down on Paul's NXT fail projects.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

Alan_Shore posted:

Guys I'm beginning to think Charlotte isn't a very good wrestler!

I think someone else here might've mentioned it once but it feels like since she had to put over Becky way back in late 2018 she has decided to go into business for herself as often as possible and always has to get her poo poo in along with stopping selling pretty much everything

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Alan_Shore posted:

You could just not post anything instead of complaining about people being angry about something.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I think at the very least Kairi makes appearances on talk shows with the likes of Kenta Kobashi so that's something!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Astro7x posted:

They don't cut her because Bushiroad and Tony Khan would back a dump truck of money up to her instantly and whichever one she picked, she would be a very big business difference for them.

mooseinfants posted:

I think someone else here might've mentioned it once but it feels like since she had to put over Becky way back in late 2018 she has decided to go into business for herself as often as possible and always has to get her poo poo in along with stopping selling pretty much everything

I dunno if the timeline matches up but, we pretty much know that she was gonna win the 2019 Rumble and face Rousey at Mania before Becky happened. Then ESPN called her Ric Flair's daughter and boy, she just seems to have never gotten over either of those things.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

re:NXT Japan. Can someone who knows more about this please tell me.

Is it likely to ever be a thing?

Coz from my very limited understanding, whilst wrestling is huge in Japan, WWE presence is minimal. So the kids that grow up with dreams of being a wrestler, don't want to be WWE superstars, and the workaday mercenary working wrestlers already have several companies with which to ply their trade that offer decent pay/exposure without a new WWE-lite product gumming up the works.

So without a super talented roster, (which as far as I know they don't have), or local TV, (which I am pretty sure they don't have and would be difficult to get), isn't NXT Japan doomed to fail, and just be a way of paying wrestlers a pittance to not work for WWE's rivals?

Again, I welcome people with more knowledge/information on me to correct me on my half arsed opinion.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They tried to buy a promotion to build NXT Japan with and all of them pretty much immediately responded by selling to CyberFight or Bushiroad instead, so, prospects aren't looking good.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It's complicated. Their best bet was to force their foot in the door by buying a relatively big Japanese promotion - they've tried to buy NOAH, but NOAH merged with DDT's parent company, Cyberfight, they tried to buy AJPW but Jun Akiyama wasn't able to travel to the US to take the guest coaching job at the PC (and Akiyama has since joined DDT), they tried to buy STARDOM, but STARDOM got bought by Bushiroad (I believe Rossy Ogawa made the choice to sell to Bushi rather than WWE?). They have an in with Sendai Girls through Meiko Satomura and thats a good start but they'd need more of a roster. They have a decent office and production staff because apparently Harold Meij drove a bunch of people out of New Japan during his tenure there.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Pylons posted:

It's complicated. Their best bet was to force their foot in the door by buying a relatively big Japanese promotion - they've tried to buy NOAH, but NOAH merged with DDT's parent company, Cyberfight, they tried to buy AJPW but Jun Akiyama wasn't able to travel to the US to take the guest coaching job at the PC (and Akiyama has since joined DDT), they tried to buy STARDOM, but STARDOM got bought by Bushiroad (I believe Ross Ogawa made the choice to sell to Bushi rather than WWE?). They have an in with Sendai Girls through Meiko Satomura and thats a good start but they'd need more of a roster.

MJeff posted:

They tried to buy a promotion to build NXT Japan with and all of them pretty much immediately responded by selling to CyberFight or Bushiroad instead, so, prospects aren't looking good.

So from what you are saying, the WWE wanted to buy a promotion wholesale and the re-brand it as their own, rather than actually recruiting talent/backstage staff etc, and making a promotion from the ground up.

Did they ever try headhunting people from the established promotions? Both talent and backstage people.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

They've had some limited success with that but the amount of money it would take to create a roster more or less from scratch is most likely far more than they want to invest, especially since NXT Japan would be unlikely to pay off for a long, long time, if it ever did.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I wonder why they didn't just scoop up Sendai Girls and Big Japan and combine them since they were friendly with Daisuke and Meiko.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

BJW is mostly known for matches that WWE would absolutely not want to associate with, and if you sanitize and get rid of those, why would anyone who followed it give a poo poo?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

What really fucks me up about this is how close Kairi's head comes to the barricade. That table should have been pulled out more.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder why they didn't just scoop up Sendai Girls and Big Japan and combine them since they were friendly with Daisuke and Meiko.

WWE buying a company in Japan would be more about using an established name to both make an impact and also to make it easier to do long term business with arenas/touring/signing talent. Buying a smaller company wouldn't help accomplish that

I think NXT Japan is probably dead and buried and WWE will just focus on trying to sign Japanese talent and bury them in NXT/performance center but Covid is leaving a potential door open. Ticket sales cratering and TV money being non existent in Japan means a lot of companies are suffering and while Bushiroad/Cyberagent will probably be able to weather it other might not be. I could see if Japan isn't able to run full building till next year that a company like All Japan may look at WWE money and bite on it even if it'd probably run off most of it's fanbase

Though odds are if WWE is looking to try take over a market thats fallen due to Covid it's probably going to look at Mexico first where both CMLL and AAA are very much in trouble for very different reasons

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Pylons posted:

It's complicated. Their best bet was to force their foot in the door by buying a relatively big Japanese promotion - they've tried to buy NOAH, but NOAH merged with DDT's parent company, Cyberfight, they tried to buy AJPW but Jun Akiyama wasn't able to travel to the US to take the guest coaching job at the PC (and Akiyama has since joined DDT), they tried to buy STARDOM, but STARDOM got bought by Bushiroad (I believe Rossy Ogawa made the choice to sell to Bushi rather than WWE?). They have an in with Sendai Girls through Meiko Satomura and thats a good start but they'd need more of a roster. They have a decent office and production staff because apparently Harold Meij drove a bunch of people out of New Japan during his tenure there.

Harold Meij is the reason that Kenny left NJPW, he's on record as saying that he would never do anything with New Japan as long as Harold was there.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
BJW is weird because WWE let WALTER wrestle a show there in October 2019, and they don't normally do that kind of poo poo with anyone but EVOLVE or WxW or PROGRESS, so I guess everyone assumed some deal would happen which made no sense because, y'know, deathmatches.

I assume WWE and BJW staff are on far friendlier terms than WWE is with other promotions but not really sure how much of an inroad that helps WWE make.

Maybe they should just work with Taka Michinoku or something, doesn't he have a bunch of trainees who now can't work njpw and his own indie?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Harold Meij is the reason that Kenny left NJPW, he's on record as saying that he would never do anything with New Japan as long as Harold was there.

What's the issue with Harold Meij?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

What's the issue with Harold Meij?

The story of what exactly the problem was varies, and Kenny/The Bucks (who are also on record as feeling the same way Kenny does about him) have never directly said. But a MAJOR issue was that Kenny was the NJPW champion, had just had that series of matches with Okada, etc. and Meij refused to sign him to anything more than a 'handshake deal', kept loving him around on a new contract, and in general treated him and the Bucks like they were second-class citizens, despite Kenny being their champion. Kenny in particular said that the constant contract situation and the handshake deal meant that he couldn't really provide the Japanese government with proof that he had a stable job in Japan, and that hosed with his residency/citizenship. He was the NJPW champion, constantly in fear of being sent back to Canada.

Edit: I ran that by my wife, who's half-japanese and has worked in mostly Japanese-run companies, and she said that it sounded like Meij was from that era of "this is a Japanese company, and only Japanese things/employees matter, and foreigners should just be happy to be there", and that getting a Japanese company to put anything down on paper is really, really difficult if you're not Japanese.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MJeff posted:

Becky knew Kairi was injured and was trying really hard to protect her and there was a point shortly after that power bomb where she and Asuka talked to each other and pretty clearly decided "dude, we've gotta go to the finish."

Charlotte goes past her being too stupid to tell there was an injury or just Gotta Get My poo poo In because of that slap. That's pretty clear malice, right there.

That match was the moment I lost any and all respect for Charlotte, and why I will never have any for her again barring some kind of miraculous and dramatic actions.

I would probably also have lost respect for the WWE for not punishing her, but it's hard to lose what you don't have.