Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Got dice for eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

That would be Snake Eyes Eyes

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
A rival ninja pranks him by putting industrial glue in Snake Eyes’ mask. He’s just too proud to ask for help.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tato posted:

A rival ninja pranks him by putting industrial glue in Snake Eyes’ mask. He’s just too proud to ask for help.

The original Marvel comics Baron Zemo accidentally got his mask glued to his head and so he just had to wear it forever.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ninjas gets surgically implanted eyes closed from a legendary soldier : he has Solid Snake Eyes

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gripweed posted:

What if he looks fine under the mask but the events of the film just wreck his self esteem

Like Kane?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This reminded me that it’s been 8 years since the last GI Joe movie and I guess their attempts to do a sequel or reboot of the franchise haven’t gone anywhere.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Right now there is an insanely popular and hard to collect toy line out there that has caused distress to target employees during this pandemic so GI Joe has some kind of relevance.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Right now there is an insanely popular and hard to collect toy line out there that has caused distress to target employees during this pandemic so GI Joe has some kind of relevance.

As someone who worked at toys r us for years back in the day this is always the situation. It's not cause GI Joe or Transformers or whatever thing is popular in the wider culture, it's because they don't make many and smelly action figure nerds are the most aggressive, pushy assholes you run into in that job other than upper class suburban women. Both groups seem to think stores are just not in the business of selling things and keep all our stock in "the back" for some reason and will flip out on you when you say you don't have any there and the places making this stuff don't give you any information on when shipments are coming.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vince MechMahon posted:

As someone who worked at toys r us for years back in the day this is always the situation. It's not cause GI Joe or Transformers or whatever thing is popular in the wider culture, it's because they don't make many and smelly action figure nerds are the most aggressive, pushy assholes you run into in that job other than upper class suburban women. Both groups seem to think stores are just not in the business of selling things and keep all our stock in "the back" for some reason and will flip out on you when you say you don't have any there and the places making this stuff don't give you any information on when shipments are coming.

I worked in a grocery store for two years, and god, how customers thought "The Back" was this mythical place where only the most freshest, newest product existed, and how just mentioning the words "The Back" would gain them access to it.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Vince MechMahon posted:

Both groups seem to think stores are just not in the business of selling things and keep all our stock in "the back" for some reason

Reason being that if they as customers know the scarcity of a particular sku and thus exists a reasonable expectation the resell value is desirable to those looking to make money, then so exists a reasonable expectation that retail workers who don't make as much money as they like and have access to said product would also know and be incentivized to withhold as many units from the public as possible. Consider the anecdotal nature of yourself ostensibly not engaging in said behavior in your one location vs what they, some of them professional shoppers, are experiencing as they encounter many workers in many stores and locations and not infrequently not being able to purchase something which if not housed in that building, though it almost certainly is, then is mistakenly somehow marked as being in stock in which case the customer cannot be blamed for believing it is. They can likely recite in excruciating detail the last many instances in which "the back" is a real place with a real door that is fully functional and can be demonstrably proven to be used for scalping. At this point it may be an issue of honor among thieves, to speak casually if inaccurately, in a number of cases but in all others it is customers who are simply earnestly and eagerly trying to not get screwed as they have been many times before.

You're not wrong in the least about the conduct and attitude of many customers who don't shy away from confrontation about stock, especially today since anyone with a smart phone can very quickly get incredibly accurate stock counts at various large retailers which sell collectibles. No "but" about it. The other side of the coin, though, can be easily defended so long as the customer isn't ugly; they can and should push because statistically most customers will be collectors and of course they should give themselves every opportunity to beat the scalpers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Davros1 posted:

I worked in a grocery store for two years, and god, how customers thought "The Back" was this mythical place where only the most freshest, newest product existed, and how just mentioning the words "The Back" would gain them access to it.

Sometimes, if I know a thing isn't in the back, I'll say that I'll look for it and just get a couple minutes away from the register while I check my phone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I didn't mind customers asking me to check The Back. It was the people who didn't believe when I did or the ones who didn't believe me when I knew the answer without having to check who were the jerks. Lady, were you not in earshot of the person from five seconds ago who also asked about the yogurt? It was on sale, it's gone.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

FYI this is one those new GI Joe figures.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have it and it’s fuckin dope.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kanye really went off his medication after the divorce

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The idea of “the back” is kind of a weird hold over from when all companies where local and “the back” was the warehouse.

That generally doesn’t exist anymore.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The MSJ posted:

FYI this is one those new GI Joe figures.

I love that on top of the cape and the glasses and the golden suitcase full of cash, all of which are well molded and painted for what I assume is an under $20 figure, there's also a gun holster made out of the cheapest looking red plastic imaginable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

sbaldrick posted:

The idea of “the back” is kind of a weird hold over from when all companies where local and “the back” was the warehouse.

That generally doesn’t exist anymore.

If it was ever a thing it was probably before just in time shipping became the dominant thing in retail.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Lobok posted:

I didn't mind customers asking me to check The Back. It was the people who didn't believe when I did or the ones who didn't believe me when I knew the answer without having to check who were the jerks. Lady, were you not in earshot of the person from five seconds ago who also asked about the yogurt? It was on sale, it's gone.

I used to train my team to just go and pretend to look in the back, it wasn't worth the effort arguing with a customer.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I usually just go in back, roll in some dust, wet my hair a bit, tear some of my clothes, then do squats until I'm out of breath to return and tell them "I'm sorry... I tried everything!!"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

cvnvcnv posted:

Reason being that if they as customers know the scarcity of a particular sku and thus exists a reasonable expectation the resell value is desirable to those looking to make money, then so exists a reasonable expectation that retail workers who don't make as much money as they like and have access to said product would also know and be incentivized to withhold as many units from the public as possible. Consider the anecdotal nature of yourself ostensibly not engaging in said behavior in your one location vs what they, some of them professional shoppers, are experiencing as they encounter many workers in many stores and locations and not infrequently not being able to purchase something which if not housed in that building, though it almost certainly is, then is mistakenly somehow marked as being in stock in which case the customer cannot be blamed for believing it is. They can likely recite in excruciating detail the last many instances in which "the back" is a real place with a real door that is fully functional and can be demonstrably proven to be used for scalping. At this point it may be an issue of honor among thieves, to speak casually if inaccurately, in a number of cases but in all others it is customers who are simply earnestly and eagerly trying to not get screwed as they have been many times before.

You're not wrong in the least about the conduct and attitude of many customers who don't shy away from confrontation about stock, especially today since anyone with a smart phone can very quickly get incredibly accurate stock counts at various large retailers which sell collectibles. No "but" about it. The other side of the coin, though, can be easily defended so long as the customer isn't ugly; they can and should push because statistically most customers will be collectors and of course they should give themselves every opportunity to beat the scalpers.

The stuff the employees bought wasn't in "the back." It was in their lockers or bags or cars. That poo poo got snagged up the second it was off the truck and no one was reselling in the store. You cannot beat the scalpers that work there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Warhammer and Warbolter

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
Longtime lurker. My grandpa passed away today.

For a brief period he worked soliciting investors for Canadian-produced films. He would bring prospective scripts back to my dad plus brother and sister when they were kids and they would pick which ones they liked best. Here are the films he helped get made.

He loved to spoil this one's ending (I think the table being seated with all the dead kids is the only part he remembered - he thought it was hilarious). I bought him a framed original for his b-day.

Love you Papa.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This seems to be flying real close to the sun, considering that the original short story that would become Dune was in fact called Dune World.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zechariah posted:

]
Love you Papa.

This is awesome :sympathy:

Dude helped get Meatballs made.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Zechariah posted:

Love you Papa.

That's fantastic, thanks for sharing!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Zechariah posted:

For a brief period he worked soliciting investors for Canadian-produced films. He would bring prospective scripts back to my dad plus brother and sister when they were kids and they would pick which ones they liked best. Here are the films he helped get made.

He loved to spoil this one's ending (I think the table being seated with all the dead kids is the only part he remembered - he thought it was hilarious). I bought him a framed original for his b-day.

Love you Papa.

Your grandpa rules and I'm glad he had any part in getting Happy Birthday To Me made.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I love Death Ship so good job goon grandpa

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

RIP Grandpa.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Zechariah posted:

Love you Papa.

Now that's a good grandpa with a great legacy. Big respect.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Your grandpa is incredible and had a hand in some of the most beloved cult-y movies out there. Rest in Power.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've always loved that Death Ship poster. Your grandpa was great.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I think I would be satisfied with my life if after I die it is often said "I will always remember Gripweed for showing me Heavy Metal"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zechariah posted:

Love you Papa.

rip in piece 🪦

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Your grandpa rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002