Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It sucks enough that there are copies gathering dust available to be picked up for 20 bucks

srsly? I want the nice playmat from the box set to keep my Man O War shenanigans looking properly eye candy-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Xlorp posted:

srsly? I want the nice playmat from the box set to keep my Man O War shenanigans looking properly eye candy-ish.
The playmat is incredible

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

It sucks enough that there are copies gathering dust available to be picked up for 20 bucks

poo poo I'd pay that just for something weird to paint

Not that I've seen it on a shelf since it first came out

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Like I said never played it but

quote:

In 2016 Shahady Gaming created a modified rule
set to attempt to “resurrect” the visually epic yet
tactically disappointing game. Starting with a
open source rules summary developed by Universal
Head (https://www.universalhead.com), Shahady gaming
revamped rules that the gaming community had
reviewed as weaknesses in Dreadfleet’s playability.
Three major weaknesses were identified:
1: Because play alternated between players the
impact of initiative (determined by die role) had
too significant role in the outcome of engagements.
2: Alternating actions was seen as creating a more
unrealistic battlefield environment as opposed to a
more simultaneous approach to vessel actions.
3: The fate cards, while interesting from a storyline
perspective, added far too much dramatic changes
in the play framework.
The revamping was therefore primarily focused on
eliminating initiative, adding simultaneous vessel
actions, and removing fate from the game. In
addition, these areas were improved by
implementing several rules from the previously
successful games Man-o-war (Games Workshop,
1993) and Wooden Ships and Iron Men (Avalon
Hill, 1975).
In 2016, the revised rule set titled “Dreadfleet
Resurrected v1.0” was posted on open source gaming
sites for use, testing, and suggested revisions.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, this. I dunno, some people seem to just have difficulty (or simply no interest in) RPing as anything other than humans. And although that might be boring for some people if the rest of the party consists of humans and half-elves/-orcs (probably is in some cases, to be fair!), it's purely taste.

Anyway, to be more GW-related, sometimes it also just suits the person's playstyle, too? Like, I've played Mordheim with Orks and Kill Team with Guardsmen. I never really had much luck with Mordheim, since it seemed like the Ork playstyle and I just didn't quite mesh. IGs in KT though? Perfect! Seems like IGs and I were made for each other. Super fun for me, even if they're just regular people and not fantastical space-monsters.
And with Mordheim, I always got the feeling that I'd 'click' better with a shooty-elf faction or whatever that human faction who has knights and lots of archers, perhaps. I guess I also have a strong appreciation for the underdogs, too - individual IGs just seem to be so outclassed against almost anyone, in a 1v1 scenario. So it's always fun when things manage to go their way, whether I'm playing or spectating!

Yeah funny you should mention IG, because I then thought to myself that if I were to go down the "human" route in 40K, it'd be Imperial Guard for all the reasons you outlined.

Moola posted:

yeah I don't understand why goons in particular seem to look down on people who roleplay as humans when other species are available. Like you said, playing someone like yourself in an alien setting is very fun, or playing one of the average "normal" guys in a setting with gods and magic etc helps ground the player

Personally I usually play as elves or orcs or whatever, but I can absolutely get the appeal of playing as a human. Calling people who don't want to play as the elf etc 'basic bitches' is really weird, like do these people also get annoyed that 99% of fantasy/sci-fi books have human protagonists?

Yep, 100% agree which is thankfully why I caught myself halfway through this thought. Because deep down something that I don't enjoy on an aesthetic level has literally nothing to do with anyone else's enjoyment of the hobby or lore.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Most fantasy races are just humans with minor alterations (elves, dwarves).

basically im saying play a goblin you cowards

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Most fantasy races are just humans with minor alterations (elves, dwarves).

basically im saying play a goblin you cowards

:hmmorks:

more good RPGs need to let you play as goblins

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Where do I find Dreadfleet for 20 bucks

I'll buy 3

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Improbable Lobster posted:

poo poo I'd pay that just for something weird to paint

Not that I've seen it on a shelf since it first came out

Wikipedia article says they possibly mulched the unsold stock.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Let me RP as a Centaur coward game designers

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-AU/Warbringer-Nemesis-Titan-Volcano-Cannon-2021

on one hand, cool that I wouldn't need to pay the full price for plastic kit + FW parts markup for this, and on the other, i'm seeing people get mad already lol

I wonder if they had planned a second plastic kit release for the warbringer but changed course because of lower sales than expected or something like that, this is just a weird way to have done it

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A la carte weapons means not needing another $100+ kit, there's nothing to be upset about!

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

moths posted:

A la carte weapons means not needing another $100+ kit, there's nothing to be upset about!

not having a mounting for the gun included is maybe a bit frustrating if you guessed wrong about what you'd need to magnetize though

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh ok, that makes sense then.

I'm personally angry that eveything else I wanted to order is out of stock.

E: Maybe "angry" was an overstatement, I'm over it now.

moths fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 14, 2021

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Assessor of Maat posted:

not having a mounting for the gun included is maybe a bit frustrating if you guessed wrong about what you'd need to magnetize though

That seems very dumb, and atypical for the AT weapons. They all came with their mountings before. What on earth

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It looks like you just need to put the magnets under the turntable, which apparently a lot of people did not anticipate

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Assessor of Maat posted:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-AU/Warbringer-Nemesis-Titan-Volcano-Cannon-2021

on one hand, cool that I wouldn't need to pay the full price for plastic kit + FW parts markup for this, and on the other, i'm seeing people get mad already lol

I wonder if they had planned a second plastic kit release for the warbringer but changed course because of lower sales than expected or something like that, this is just a weird way to have done it

Holy crap. I'm used to GW/Forgeworld prices but $50 for one weapon for a $160 dollar kit for a $250 game...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

:australia:

It's about $25 USD, which isn't cheap but isn't outrageous for a ten piece resin kit of that size.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Crackbone posted:

Holy crap. I'm used to GW/Forgeworld prices but $50 for one weapon for a $160 dollar kit for a $250 game...

You have come to a world called GW *whipcrack*

Worse yet, seems the new necro box will not come with a complete rulebook. So if you want to play a campaign, you need to buy the hard cover rulebook as well. And then the campaign rulebook. And then the houses of... books.

Needing five books to play a campaign with two gangs is... bad?

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

lilljonas posted:

You have come to a world called GW *whipcrack*

Worse yet, seems the new necro box will not come with a complete rulebook. So if you want to play a campaign, you need to buy the hard cover rulebook as well. And then the campaign rulebook. And then the houses of... books.

Needing five books to play a campaign with two gangs is... bad?

The FW weapon pack for the titan is kinda expensive, but in the realm of expected for FW crap, when they already sell 20+ dollar transfer sheets.

GWs insane rulebook system is awful. It makes me angry every time i think about it. A skirmish game using 10-20 models should not require 150-300 USD in books. Christ.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have Dreadfleet. Back in the day, my wife and I saw it in a game store and she got it for me for my birthday. It's an absolutely gorgeous game, really really nice components. I spent ages painting a bunch of the models. I've never played it, for two reasons:
the starting intro scenario uses the two most complex ship models, both of which pretty much demand that you paint them before assembly in order to get the details of the inner parts
the internet informed me of the several ways in which the rules are total garbage, after I'd already Oathed a bunch of the components and spent loads of time painting them

That was really disheartening. I don't have just unlimited time for painting nor for board gaming, so I'm not gonna bring a game I know is crap to the table. I've been meaning to check out those alternate rules, so thanks for the reminder.

All that said, if you see an opportunity to pick up the set for cheap, do it. The ships may be re-usable, at least some of the smaller ones would fit into several other naval games, the battle mat is actual cloth and really nice, and the scatter terrain is also very nice and might work in a wide range of scales.

e. excuse my bad paint jobs, here's what I'd painted for oaths, 2012 through 2016

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 16, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
whats the trick for painting the water?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
On the subject of books: I got the new Necromunda set on the way, so are there any of the books that are really nice to have?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Electric Hobo posted:

On the subject of books: I got the new Necromunda set on the way, so are there any of the books that are really nice to have?

The only ones that are truly necessary are the Book of *Whatever* books for whatever factions you want to play.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

The only ones that are truly necessary are the Book of *Whatever* books for whatever factions you want to play.

No it seems the new box does not include rules for campaign play.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Electric Hobo posted:

It's difficult for any of us to give you a 100% certain answer as we've not seen what's in the new rulebook in the Hive War box yet. Certainly, if you wanted to get really into Escher or Delaque you'd want House of Blades and House of Shadows respectively - the latter still won't be released for a few months. They vastly expand rules for the gangs, with new model types and special skills/rules.

It is rumoured, as lilljonas says, that the box set rulebook doesn't have campaign rules. If so that's nuts, because the whole point of Necromunda is to play campaigns. There are rules for Dominion campaigns (fight over territory - the standard campaign) in the older rulebook. There are rules for Law & Misrule campaigns (fight over criminal rackets - a campaign with much higher income opportunities and some focus on whether your gang is law-abiding or outlaw) in the Book of Justice. There are rules for Uprising campaigns (fight for survival in a hive falling into anarchy) in the Dark Uprising set rulebook.

So yes, Necromunda rules are in a complete mess, why do you ask?

I personally think the Book of Justice is a good buy, because as well as a workable campaign, without duplicating the base rules you'll presumably have already, it includes some great rpg-style exotic equipment added to the Trading Post and its outlaw equivalent, the Black Market.

Oh, and unless they've changed something, the basic rules for the Trading Post, ie how you buy general equipment and weapons outside your House-themed equipment list, are still only available in Gangs of the Underhive, which apart from that is mostly outdated rules for the House gangs.

Welcome to Necromunda! Apart from getting access to the rules, it's genuinely great. There's a reason a lot of people download pdfs instead.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

whats the trick for painting the water?
Not speaking for Leperflesh, but just a blue base coat, and then progressively brushing up to white works really well.

RE: Necromunda - Hive War is strictly a starter set as far as GW is concerned, it should be considered as such. Necromunda is complex enough without throwing campaign rules into a starter rulebook. GW starters are all about throwing two forces on a board and playing shoot 'em up - if you want more content, you're going to pay for the DLC later.

I love Necromunda, but unfortunately it's in a place where GW don't know if they want it to be a role-playing game or a miniatures skirmish game, and I think it's suffering because of that. Making gangs into house armies instead of scrappy gangers on the street is also kind of hurting it, IMO. I think it really takes away from the original aesthetic of people just trying to get their piece for 5 minutes before a rival guns them down.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 16, 2021

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
As someone just getting into Nucromunda this really sucks to hear

I'd like to have a big book with all the rules for gang creation, equipment and campaign rules etc. I don't want to have to get 2-5 books just to have up to date info

I guess I'll be hunting for pdfs instead ugh

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Moola posted:

As someone just getting into Nucromunda this really sucks to hear

I'd like to have a big book with all the rules for gang creation, equipment and campaign rules etc. I don't want to have to get 2-5 books just to have up to date info

I guess I'll be hunting for pdfs instead ugh

Check the discord

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Now that the final Direchasm warband has been announced, I'm idly speculating what the next season of Underworlds could look like.

-starter box will defo be the new Stormcast and whatever the baddies in AoS 3.0 are (still hoping for Fimir)
-necromancer + zombies warband? Seems like an easy choice for a Death warband given recent releases.
-shadow elves like the dudes from Warcry?
-probably a long shot but I'd love to see a Cities of Sigmar warband of elves, dwarves and humans, a classic pack of dungeoneers in the spirit of the Cursed City adventurers
-a new skaven warband seems long overdue, maybe more clan focused

I don't know, it's a long time till season 5 but it's fun to think about.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
please no more stormcast

I'd like to see a Tzeentch warband that isn't poo poo, another Skaven warband, and I think some Daemon warbands could also be fun

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Now that the final Direchasm warband has been announced, I'm idly speculating what the next season of Underworlds could look like.

-starter box will defo be the new Stormcast and whatever the baddies in AoS 3.0 are (still hoping for Fimir)
-necromancer + zombies warband? Seems like an easy choice for a Death warband given recent releases.
-shadow elves like the dudes from Warcry?
-probably a long shot but I'd love to see a Cities of Sigmar warband of elves, dwarves and humans, a classic pack of dungeoneers in the spirit of the Cursed City adventurers
-a new skaven warband seems long overdue, maybe more clan focused

I don't know, it's a long time till season 5 but it's fun to think about.

They did a beastclaw raider warband but not a Mawtribes one. Maybe 2 Ogors and some gnoblars?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
In Warhammer Online you could venture into mines and fight dwarf skeleton warriors, complete with beards. I would like a bearded dwarf skeleton warrior warband.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

That we went an entire season with no Stormcast warband kind of boggles my mind, though I'll take it. I'm curious what kind of greenskin warband we'll get, as I'm pretty sure at least one will be orcs or goblins.

That said, daemons does seem like an easy pick for a Chaos warband, as there's really only been the blue horror so far.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Fimirian Cyclomarshlords

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
That's... not great about the Necromunda books. I guess I'll take a look at the rulebook when I get the set, and then decide what to get, based on what you guys suggested.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

That we went an entire season with no Stormcast warband kind of boggles my mind, though I'll take it.

What about the one in the new starter box? They're old models but still :v:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

In Warhammer Online you could venture into mines and fight dwarf skeleton warriors, complete with beards. I would like a bearded dwarf skeleton warrior warband.

Underworlds Season 5: Boatmurdered

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Winklebottom posted:

What about the one in the new starter box? They're old models but still :v:

That's a good point, I hadn't considered that! Still, they didn't take up a release slot for actual new models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
If I have a ton of old pewter Delaque stuff, House of Shadows and a rulebook would be all I'd need, right?