Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Golden Tail

And a throwback to like, over a year ago:

kidcoelacanth posted:

Free avatar to a good home

SubNat posted:

To add a little sprinkle on top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

kill it with fire

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mikl posted:

Edit: ^^ :hfive:

...This doesn't even make any sense!

The lot number thing is correct, yes, but she should ask for skeins that are from the same lot instead of different ones! This is because one lot is dyed together all at once, and it may differ veeeeeeeeeery slightly in colour from the previous or next lots. Not much, but it can be noticeable if you mix yarn from different lots into a single piece. Why would she want that??

Like really though! If we're complaining about annoying customer behavior it would make a lot more sense to have a customer insist they get all the same lot number (and call another store if they have to) because that's a thing that actually would happen! (And rightfully so. No-dye-lot yarn exists, but for the most part you really want to be sure those lot numbers match. I can see why it would be irritating for the employee who has to help, though.)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The idea is that the customer is absurd, not a realistic portrayal of knitters

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

This is just such weak, melodramatic writing. Every character is one-dimensional. What happened to the more interesting plots with Wilbur? I know Moy can do better; why is she just phoning it in?

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

The "Sara's Daydreams" sequence continues to work its magic; I'm still grateful RMMD is just insipid rather than actively awful.

Where *is* Snorkmaiden's mouth, anyway?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Deathless Deer 3/8-10/43

The only part of that Deer understood was "shekels."

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Mikl posted:

Edit: ^^ :hfive:

...This doesn't even make any sense!

The lot number thing is correct, yes, but she should ask for skeins that are from the same lot instead of different ones! This is because one lot is dyed together all at once, and it may differ veeeeeeeeeery slightly in colour from the previous or next lots. Not much, but it can be noticeable if you mix yarn from different lots into a single piece. Why would she want that??

Mercury Hat posted:

She says right there that it's bad luck if it's the same lot number, sheesh!

Julet Esqu posted:

Like really though! If we're complaining about annoying customer behavior it would make a lot more sense to have a customer insist they get all the same lot number (and call another store if they have to) because that's a thing that actually would happen! (And rightfully so. No-dye-lot yarn exists, but for the most part you really want to be sure those lot numbers match. I can see why it would be irritating for the employee who has to help, though.)

I think the implication is that the customer is not only needy, but possibly mentally ill. I remember a customer who used to come in, invariably about 30 minutes before close, and she would want an associate to hand-hold her through a series of complicated orders and returns, with coupons and rewards, all the while telling you the no-filter story of the latest thing to go wrong in her life. It wasn't that she needed the stuff (hence the returns - there was always a return). She just wanted to be the center of someone's attention. It always made us sad, because we realized why she was doing, but it was also infuriating.

Fighting Trousers fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 16, 2021

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Did the strip explain why the Egyptian princess knew English? (I'm not being snarky; I must have missed it)

Scary Gary

We don't have a car right now so I kinda feel like Travis at the moment.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Drimble Wedge posted:

Did the strip explain why the Egyptian princess knew English? (I'm not being snarky; I must have missed it)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Sep 24, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 11-12, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set doesn't want you to go out of your way.

Working Daze didn't need the other guy talking past the punchline.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix should probably workshop this a bit more.

Cul De Sac isn't going to like this any better next week.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Fighting Trousers posted:

I think the implication is that the customer is not only needy, but possibly mentally ill. I remember a customer who used to come in, invariably about 30 minutes before close, and she would want an associate to hand-hold her through a series of complicated orders and returns, with coupons and rewards, all the while telling you the no-filter story of the latest thing to go wrong in her life. It wasn't that she needed the stuff (hence the returns - there was always a return). She just wanted to be the center of someone's attention. It always made us sad, because we realized why she was doing, but it was also infuriating.

Yeah, stories about people like this is something common across a lot of retail workers. We had a person who always wanted to exchange their bills for shiny nickels and quarters but hated the new designs and would tie up the register line if you let them.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

You rock :cheersbird:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Kliban's hot-take on racism. No idea how anyone will react so I'm just going to spoil it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Oh yeah, I'm posting FoxTrot, aren't I?

FoxTrot

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Kennel posted:

Oh man, I am super tempted.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Nov. 16th, 1940

Axa

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

catlord posted:

Oh man, I am super tempted.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Sold.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Lol

dismas posted:

gotta say I'm a liiiiiitle ready for Val to get over his weird amnesia brain fog thing? as much as I enjoy aleta being in charge.

As a guy that's been married to a woman for over thirty years: last thing Aleta needs, right her & right now, is Prince Valiant doing his prince Valiant thing.

I have not read this part of the series, but: Trust me. Better yet, trust Hal Foster, When there is a need for The Hulk, The Hulk will be there.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (May 19, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

And now, just a week after I told you I'd do it tomorrow, another double scoop of Life (With Skippy) (May 7 and 14, 1925)

Elsewhere in the issue(s):

And surprise! It's another Milt Gross.

Gluyas Williams:

Fred G. Cooper:

Al Frueh has been illustrating Robert Benchley's theater reviews for a good stretch with caricatures of theater people, but it took him this long to get to one I'm sure you might recognize without footnotes.

Oh, and as a bonus, here's a brief book review I forgot to post the last time around, about a thing written by some snotty young punk with an impressive looking name. It'll be forgotten by '26, I'm sure. (April 30, 1925)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean
there's no mouse activity because there's a loving cat eating the mice you dumb old man. you literally explained this to the audience yourself.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics
:sigh: At least the pace of EB means this 'joke' won't last more than a week.

Locher Tracy

This arc is a really good case study in how cops don't give a gently caress if someone's actually guilty or not, they just want to arrest someone once their mind's made up.

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats reminds us that Christmas is in summer in the southern hemisphere.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/16/01

Brenda Starr 6/27-29/46

I have no idea what's up with the "I LOVE that hat!" ladies. Maybe Messick just wanted to have fun drawing goofy hats.

Smokey Stover 3/2/41

Richard's Poor Almanac

Thompson's putting Scrooge in North Bethesda is probably an inside joke for DC area residents; Bethesda is one of the richest and snobbiest Maryland suburbs (and hometown of Brett Kavanaugh, which should give you an idea).

Selachian fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 17, 2021

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Ahhhhh, I don't know about this one Chuck

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

:sickos:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I had a super bad feeling about EB's "disguise," and here we are :sigh:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: thinking about college (May 14-20, 2001)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (September 5, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 5, 1999)

Garfield Classic (September 5, 1989)

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Mikl posted:

I had a super bad feeling about EB's "disguise," and here we are :sigh:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: thinking about college (May 14-20, 2001)
]

Confused by the phrase "Pamela Anderson bootleg medical graphics" here. Why not just say "swimsuit pics" or something, this makes it sound like surgery photos.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Author Unknown?

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website
My Author Unknown? intro guide password is TheOther

Commentators on the Steeple site noticed that the statue behind the strategically placed topiary is of Archduke Horns, a character from Allison's one-shot comic Mordawwa.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Zoot-a-Root! 3/11-13/43

To a Forties audience, "dancing Egyptian style" would have suggested belly dancing. (See, for instance, the various performers who used the stage name Little Egypt.)

"On the beam" -- that is, right on target in the manner of a plane following a radar beam to its destination -- was pretty newfangled slang back then. I think it's another sign that Mosley, who was a pilot and would probably have been familiar with the expression, is contributing to the strip at this point.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

It seems like A) bouncing sound waves off electrons can't possibly work and 2) we're what, maybe seven years before LCD screens really supplant CRTs, at which point this issue will be long forgotten.

Assuming there haven't been multiple strips with Fenton reading a newspaper.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

also if he can bounce it off the "electrons" he can bounce it off the ink on the paper, and also bats have decent eyesight.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 08, 1945)

I am very grateful that this scene only lasts for one more strip.

The Medieval Castle (Apr. 08, 1945)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

Thompson's putting Scrooge in North Bethesda is probably an inside joke for DC area residents; Bethesda is one of the richest and snobbiest Maryland suburbs (and hometown of Brett Kavanaugh, which should give you an idea).

Skin Flint Mall is a play on the White Flint Mall, which up until very recently had a single Lord & Taylor holding out against the full closure/death of the entire complex, which was slated for redevelopment as a part of a greater effort along the Rockville Pike corridor in the 2010s. Due to a hilariously poorly written contract from the 1970s which promised them an anchor position in the mall until 2042, Lord & Taylor actually sued the mall in 2013 and in 2017 won $31 Million for the breach of contract. They later finally closed down in 2020 when the greater Lord & Taylor corporation declared bankruptcy.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

maltesh posted:

It seems like A) bouncing sound waves off electrons can't possibly work and 2) we're what, maybe seven years before LCD screens really supplant CRTs, at which point this issue will be long forgotten.

Assuming there haven't been multiple strips with Fenton reading a newspaper.

I feel like this could be easier explained with just "Fenton is a bad test taker" but gotta get them species jokes in.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

The playground equipment here reminds me a lot of the one from Cul-De-Sac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus