Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Blaise330 posted:

i got a weird feeling Cesaro is gonna win tonight

that might shake things up and spike interest in WWE, which is absolutely not something they're interested in doing.

The Regins Reign seems stupid if the idea is for him to lose it to someone big like Brock or something. The Usos have both done a good enough job with this whole storyline that it will feel kind of anticlimatic if one of them doesn't topple Reigns, but I can't see them doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
PWInsider is reporting as of right now, the RAW Women's Championship match is slated to open the PPV. Makes sense considering they will likely have Charlotte show up at least two more times throughout the night after that match.

And for those who are curious, if she wins tonight, this will be her 15th world title reign in roughly 5 years (WWE is counting her NXT title runs towards the total now). Meaning she will only need one more to tie Ric, two if they want her to break his record. Although absolutely none of her reigns have been memorable or well received.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 16, 2021

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/seanrosssapp/status/1394048986630209536?s=21

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://twitter.com/DRAGON614/status/1394051510691057666

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

lol i cant wait to see the job the gear department does for zombies on 20 minutes notice

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

SLUM KING posted:

TAKA didn’t just have an affair. He was using his promotion’s mailing list to hit on women who bought tickets. I think GEORGE W BUSHI has mentioned it more than once in NJPW/puro threads.

I'm sorry. I think I remember the affair but not the mailing list stuff.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

PWInsider is reporting as of right now, the RAW Women's Championship match is slated to open the PPV. Makes sense considering they will likely have Charlotte show up at least two more times throughout the night after that match.

And for those who are curious, if she wins tonight, this will be her 15th world title reign in roughly 5 years (WWE is counting her NXT title runs towards the total now). Meaning she will only need one more to tie Ric, two if they want her to break his record. Although absolutely none of her reigns have been memorable or well received.

Hell yea good for Charlotte.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This why Peacock loving blows. I just got home, but the PPV is like an hour into it and I can't loving rewind to the beginning.

Oh well, for $1.25/mo it's been worth it for the Office Superfan episodes

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

I'm sorry. I think I remember the affair but not the mailing list stuff.

It's totally understandable cuz googling it just gives story after story about the affair with no mention of the mailing list thing, which is the element that really set it apart from other NJPW infidelity scandals.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

drat it why didn’t Charlotte win I was repeatedly told she would win over and over

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

drat it why didn’t Charlotte win I was repeatedly told she would win over and over

drat sounds like goons were being weird about women

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Was one of the lumberjacks the ECW zombie?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Was one of the lumberjacks the ECW zombie?

he's dead

thats not a joke about him being a zombie, he died a few years ago

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I guess Roman just beating people clean is technically an improvement.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
guess cesaro resigned instead of resigning

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Recap time. Mianly lifted from
https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-results/wwe-wrestlemania-backlash-live-results-roman-reigns-vs-cesaro-341391

Non-Title: United States Champion Sheamus defeated Ricochet
Ricochet missed a 450-splash but avoided the Brogue kick. He rolled up Sheamus for a near fall. Sheamus jumped to his feet and rocked Ricochet with another knee for the win.
After the match, Sheamus put his hat and jacket back on. He started talking about issuing more open challenges than anyone else. Suddenly, Ricochet jumped Sheamus from behind. He then put on Sheamus's hat and jacket. Sheamus was furious and chased after Ricochet.
https://streamable.com/illsi9

Triple Threat Match: Raw Women's Champion Rhea Ripley defeated Asuka and Charlotte Flair to retain the title (15:22)
Asuka charged at Flair on the apron, but Flair caught her with a boot. Flair fell off the apron, and Ripley hit the Rip Tide on Asuka for the win.
https://streamable.com/k2l3og
https://streamable.com/vbdq1q

They recapped Ziggler and Roode attacking Dominik Mysterio on the kick-off show. Michael Cole noted The Mysterio's dream of winning the tag team titles might not happen.
Rey told Dominik he can't compete tonight and to stay in the back.
Rey & Dominik Mysterio defeated Dolph Ziggler & Robert Roode to win the SmackDown Tag Team Titles (17:00)
Ziggler set up for a superkick, but Dominik hit a superkick first. Rey got the hot tag and briefly ran wild. Roode caught Rey with a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker for a close two-count.
Rey fought back and hit the 619 on Roode. Rey tagged in Dominik and took out Ziggler with a sunset powerbomb into the barricade. Dominik then hit the frog splash on Roode for the win.
https://streamable.com/t1siy2

They aired a commercial for Army of Darkness.
In the back, John Morrison approached the lumberjacks locker room. He knocked on the door, and a bunch of zombies walked out. Yes, zombies.
https://streamable.com/0t2wyc
Lumberjack Zombie Match: Damien Priest defeated The Miz (7:00)
Morrison took out the zombies with a dive. He attempted a move off the barricade, but a bunch of zombies dragged him to the other side of the barricade.
Preist then caught Miz with hit the lights for the win.
After the match, the zombies all climbed in the ring and crawled all over Miz. The idea appeared to be that the zombies were eating The Miz.
https://streamable.com/7pv75i
https://streamable.com/zb1cgo

SmackDown Women's Champion Bianca Belair defeated Bayley to retain the title (16:00)
Bayley then raked Belair in the eyes to regain control. Bayley did the ripcord using Belair's hair. She then hit the Bayley-to-Belly for a two-count.
Bayley attempted the Rose Plant, but Belair reversed into a roll-up and used her hair for the win.
https://streamable.com/5x3ulo

McAfee is so bad at this
https://streamable.com/cs54jq

Triple Threat Match: WWE Champion Bobby Lashley (w/MVP) defeated Drew McIntrye and Braun Strowman to retain the title (14:11)
Strowman went for the running power slam, but McIntyre slipped out the back. McIntrye responded with the Claymore kick.
McIntyre had the match won, but Lashley returned. He threw McIntrye out of the ring and hit the spear on Strowman for the win.
https://i.imgur.com/gMdHAvm.gifv
https://streamable.com/9d3c0j
https://streamable.com/q2j5g5
https://streamable.com/9i7gaz

Universal Champion Roman Reigns (w/Paul Heyman) defeated Cesaro to retain the title (27:31)
Cesaro tried to fight back, but Reigns got the guillotine submission. Cesaro lifted Reigns up and almost broke free. Reigns tightened his grip, and Cesaro passed out.
https://i.imgur.com/wppiAoN.gifv
https://streamable.com/5scl3q
After the match, Jey Uso ran out and congratulated Reigns for his win. Reigns whispered in Jey's ear. Jey then hit Cesaro with a superkick and beat him down.
Suddenly, Seth Rollin's music hit, and he walked down to the ring. Rollins got in Reigns' face. He then smiled and attacked Cesaro. Rollins threw Cesaro out of the ring. He beat him around ringside and grabbed a chair.
Rollins attacked Cesaro with the chair and targeted the injured arm. He trapped Cesaro's arm in a chair and slammed it against the ring post. He then hit the curb stomp on Cesaro and celebrated to end WrestleMania Backlash.
https://streamable.com/2awjef

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I joke but really I can't tell if that's a 'lol you fuckin thought we'd treat you well if you did re-up your contract' burial or a 'we gave you a wrestlemania moment and you don't want to stay? get hosed' burial

either way sucks to be cesaro rn

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

flatluigi posted:

I joke but really I can't tell if that's a 'lol you fuckin thought we'd treat you well if you did re-up your contract' burial or a 'we gave you a wrestlemania moment and you don't want to stay? get hosed' burial

either way sucks to be cesaro rn

It's worse.

They think this is pushing him.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Got a feeling Mox would be in Cesaro's spot if he hadn't left so thank god he did.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MJeff posted:

It's worse.

They think this is pushing him.

i feel like if you get beat up by three separate people and then get written out with a storyline injury so you don't get revenge it's not even vaguely shaped like a push anymore

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bryan just made the point - Dominik and Rey are going to be defending and probably losing the tag titles on Father's Day.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dango Bango posted:

Bryan just made the point - Dominik and Rey are going to be defending and probably losing the tag titles on Father's Day.

It's like losing in you're home town, it's poetry it rhymes.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1394118646822227969

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Not mentioned in the writeup covering the show, but the latest talking point WWE introduced during the Charlotte/Rhea/Asuka match tonight is that Charlotte has been wrestling longer than Asuka has, apparently! And that we need to respect Charlotte because she's a veteran in the ring unlike Asuka and Rhea.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Cesaro is bland and he was put over as well as he should be in that match. A dude like Cesaro isn't beating Reigns, it will be a "famous" part timer, or it will be someone they're over pushing who doesn't deserve it. I don't see Reigns dropping that championship for at least 500 days and I'm not foolin'. They have their "rock" who isn't talented enough to cross over, and I'm probably the biggest Reigns fan on this board, but the dude will never be in movies or TV or anything, he's (to me) a great wrestler and a cool wrestling character.

I guess objectively it's lame that Seth and Cesaro are going to feud more when they're feud was ended decisively in a good Mania match, but I don't give a poo poo about either of those guys so if they're hosed off together then good for me.

DarkstarIV posted:

Not mentioned in the writeup covering the show, but the latest talking point WWE introduced during the Charlotte/Rhea/Asuka match tonight is that Charlotte has been wrestling longer than Asuka has, apparently! And that we need to respect Charlotte because she's a veteran in the ring unlike Asuka and Rhea.

I thought she was winning tonight what happened?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eat My Fuc posted:

I thought she was winning tonight what happened?
I honestly thought Darkstar called Rhea pinning Asuka and Braun eating the pin as well but it's all a blur. I need to remember to PM you about this one.

WWE really reminds me why AEW is so much better so it was nice to sit and laugh at a weird wonky PPV. Seth Rollins all coming out like the magician, best trick is making half the audience tarp off and disappear! Sweet!

Also the Dave movie looks kinda cool!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Eat My Fuc posted:

I figured Charlotte wouldn’t win yet but now you get a Ripley + Flair match later on for a Charlotte win. Summerslam maybe? I wouldn’t be surprised if Charlotte beats her dad’s total next Wrestlemania for the big celebration and picture moment. Just guessing and a chance of being wrong as I don’t have pre boomer mushbrain... just millennial mushbrain.

Dango Bango posted:

Hah - Vince is such a troll.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Eat My Fuc posted:

Cesaro is bland and he was put over as well as he should be in that match. A dude like Cesaro isn't beating Reigns, it will be a "famous" part timer, or it will be someone they're over pushing who doesn't deserve it. I don't see Reigns dropping that championship for at least 500 days and I'm not foolin'. They have their "rock" who isn't talented enough to cross over, and I'm probably the biggest Reigns fan on this board, but the dude will never be in movies or TV or anything, he's (to me) a great wrestler and a cool wrestling character.

I had no expectation of Cesaro winning, but Roman's status is why I think it would've been a better idea to put Cesaro over. Reigns is cemented. As if the last half-decade of booking weren't already enough to cement him, he's been the company's top heel for almost a year and has held the belt for, what, 200+ days now? Dude just went over Edge and Daniel Bryan in the main event of Wrestlemania at the same time? There's no more upward space for him, he's already the most important guy in the company by miles (now that Lesnar's gone, anyway) and there aren't even any part-timers to bring him back against unless you're going to pull out the Goldberg card for the fifth loving time, which means you could not only get a ton of mileage and social attention by having something as unexpected and fan-desired as Cesaro going over, Roman's stock doesn't drop in any way because, for better or worse, they've spent years and loving years making him the inevitable top guy.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A reminder that THIS is the Batista movie WWE chose to promote, and THIS is the way they go about promoting it.

As opposed to Guardians of the Galaxy,which they ignored and thought he would be begging to come back after.

Will Miz have to sell being bitten by zombies? Please give me zombmiz for at least one Raw.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dango Bango posted:

Will Dominik turn on Rey during that match? And say he did it for his real father, Eddie Guerrero?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

CarlCX posted:

I had no expectation of Cesaro winning, but Roman's status is why I think it would've been a better idea to put Cesaro over. Reigns is cemented. As if the last half-decade of booking weren't already enough to cement him, he's been the company's top heel for almost a year and has held the belt for, what, 200+ days now? Dude just went over Edge and Daniel Bryan in the main event of Wrestlemania at the same time? There's no more upward space for him, he's already the most important guy in the company by miles (now that Lesnar's gone, anyway) and there aren't even any part-timers to bring him back against unless you're going to pull out the Goldberg card for the fifth loving time, which means you could not only get a ton of mileage and social attention by having something as unexpected and fan-desired as Cesaro going over, Roman's stock doesn't drop in any way because, for better or worse, they've spent years and loving years making him the inevitable top guy.

The WWE mentality is that Reigns is on top, essentially no matter what. They're not going to beat him because they want him to be a heel on top and beat literally everyone as clean as a sheet and never lose. It's a heel territory and they want him to be 80s Hogan the fan reaction be damned because they're going to make more money than any other wrestling company probably forever. Booking and storytelling no longer matter at all to them, it's autopilot. They're essentially going to sim their territory until we're all long dead and our grandchildren's grandchildren are absorbing "the product" into their google mind drives on their way to slave away in a crypto mine for Elon Musk and Grime's grandson.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

BrigadierSensible posted:

A reminder that THIS is the Batista movie WWE chose to promote, and THIS is the way they go about promoting it.

As opposed to Guardians of the Galaxy,which they ignored and thought he would be begging to come back after.

Now I’m thinking about all the potential for a Voight-Kampff Test match with WWE Universe dialog. Missed opportunity!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I wish Dynamite would move to Monday nights so Vince can think he's in a feud with Ted Turner again

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Eat My Fuc posted:

The WWE mentality is that Reigns is on top, essentially no matter what. They're not going to beat him because they want him to be a heel on top and beat literally everyone as clean as a sheet and never lose. It's a heel territory and they want him to be 80s Hogan the fan reaction be damned because they're going to make more money than any other wrestling company probably forever. Booking and storytelling no longer matter at all to them, it's autopilot. They're essentially going to sim their territory until we're all long dead and our grandchildren's grandchildren are absorbing "the product" into their google mind drives on their way to slave away in a crypto mine for Elon Musk and Grime's grandson.

oh, I have long internalized this after decades of weird audience antagonism, I just refuse to stop ever going "but it could be better" just because they're insane

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Davros1 posted:

Will Dominik turn on Rey during that match? And say he did it for his real father, Eddie Guerrero?

Well he did win the match with a frog splash

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I honestly think this is the lowest WWE has ever been in the past two decades, creatively. There is nothing worth tuning in for on either show at this point, especially since their entire crutch is cheap meta heat booking these days with certain stars (Charlotte), and that's the worst kind of booking you can give a wrestler since it just makes people hate the performer instead of the character.

It doesn't help that WWE Wrestlemania Backlash ended with a bunch of feuds going to end up continuing despite being heatless. You have Bobby/Drew almost certainly continuing, Rhea/Charlotte, Bianca/Bayley, Cesaro/Rollins, and I'm sure I forgot some others. WWE is heavily leaning into recycling feuds as of late (moreso than usual), and it's harming the product tremendously. That's ignoring their PR scandals and going out of their way to be spiteful towards well liked wrestlers.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the zombie thing is cute but WWE PPVs have all the gravitas of a Clash of Champions booked by Dixie Carter's 2nd pencil.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is Roman's "ACKNOWLEDGE ME" titantron supposed to make him look like a big attention starved baby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

explosivo posted:

Is Roman's "ACKNOWLEDGE ME" titantron supposed to make him look like a big attention starved baby?

My headcanon is that having to leave the company for medical reasons twice in the last couple years shook him and now he's overcompensating real bad, thus hiring a dick-hanger like Heyman, the constant cheating and the demands that everybody, up to and including his own family, constantly tell him how great he is and thank him for gracing them all with his presence. Of course that kind of read only really works if the people around him are calling him out for what an attention starved overcompensating baby he's being and to my understanding, absolutely nobody has. And now he's just beating people clean anyway, so it doesn't really track at all.