Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

But you know you are vaccinated.

Also one thing that struck me over the past few is that the vaccine was treated as the holy grail and once it rolls out to enough people the end will be in sight.

That doesn’t seem to be the case looking over posts in this thread.

I absolutely believe that to be the case, but not at 35-ish% fully vaccinated and when we have this much community spread. It's really that community spread that's the problem. Will it be there? Sure. But like somebody else said; if superman is shot with a dozen bullets and one gets through, it still frickin' kills him.

If he's only shot with two bullets, the chances go way, way down.

Superman is being bombarded if he's maskless right now. Superman don't gotta be bombarded to get back to normal if he just sits on his rear end and eats cupcakes for another little bit while community spread is chipped away at by vaccines.

My biggest problem is that I don't know why we went from "we have to wait for 60/80%" (depending on who was talking) to "haha it's cool, gently caress it, let's rock" at half-ish that. If there are studies, gods, release them and let people see.

Also the talk in this thread about immunity really shows what I just said about people having trouble with medical terms throughout this. We needed easily understood factoid sheets and we never loving got them. Never. Because the leading countries in the world were never prepared for this, had no idea how to cope with it, and have been flailing ever since numbers started going up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Grilledmelt/status/1394027762961235971

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1394073263005913092?s=21

Nearly 60% vaccinated

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yeah, this is what I mean. This right here. Congratulations to them for being at 60%, too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Yeah, this is what I mean. This right here. Congratulations to them for being at 60%, too.

In theory that should be us in 60 (ish) days?

Probably more like 75 but still.

Getting to 80% is probably going to take 4x as long though.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

I could of sworn Israel was like 80 percent months ago. So I looked for a chart and it's probably the same that says they are over 100 percent per 100 people. How does this work?

Edit, if someone has had both doses it's counting 2 for them...

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

MarcusSA posted:

But you know you are vaccinated.

Also one thing that struck me over the past few is that the vaccine was treated as the holy grail and once it rolls out to enough people the end will be in sight.

That doesn’t seem to be the case looking over posts in this thread.

Is this just a matter of people not understanding how vaccines and immunity in general work, because we seem to accept that other vaccines aren't 100% effective and we should be celebrating that vaccines as effective as these have been developed in such a short period of time.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Purgatory Glory posted:

I could of sworn Israel was like 80 percent months ago. So I looked for a chart and it's probably the same that says they are over 100 percent per 100 people. How does this work?

I think the discrepancy is due to most of the vaccines requiring two doses.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1394082992239304712?s=21

59 days (hopefully).

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Whatever the UK and the US got wrong, they've done an amazing job with vaccination.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lolie posted:

Is this just a matter of people not understanding how vaccines and immunity in general work, because we seem to accept that other vaccines aren't 100% effective and we should be celebrating that vaccines as effective as these have been developed in such a short period of time.

We did at one point accept that vaccines are not one hundred percent effective and that they were merely a powerful tool in the struggle against pestilence.

Then they suddenly became an end into themselves and if you have a problem with that, you’re an antivaxxer or a nonperson like a kid or a cancer patient.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

So now if you believe the CDC and follow their guidelines, you're an idiot or ignorant of danger or something?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

satanic splash-back posted:

So now if you believe the CDC and follow their guidelines, you're an idiot or ignorant of danger or something?

Yes, clearly that was my last several posts were saying. You caught me.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

glad to see thread 2 has less hyperbole and poo poo flinging

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My sister and brother-in-law are planning to come down for a visit in a few weeks for the first time since Christmas 2019. They're vaxed and as anti-social as I am, I'm "fully vaccinated" on Wednesday. They might want to visit my vaxed mom or my vaxed grandma. Or they might want to make a masked trip to the international grocery store we have. Or they might just want to sit around while we share memes and watch Air Disasters before my brother-in-law takes my dog for a long walk. Should be a good time.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mexico is doing really great (well, better, after the shitshow of December-February)

The curve is basically the same as the US, but… there’s like no vaccination, less than 10% of pop have 1 dose, it’s super slow

So what explains this drop, similar to vaccinated countries? The heat? Maybe a more benign variant spread ? Since it’s one of the lowest testing governments in the world, maybe a lot more people had COVID and it’s natural herd immunity?

I’m definitely not antivaxx, but I do wonder what’s going on.

Certainly not because people are following health recommendations… official Mexican govt PSAs never even mentioned that you should wear a mask (the emphasis was on washing hands and staying home)

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

I mean... the CDC hasn't really had a great track record of accuracy, clarity and consistency over the past 15 months. I'm not super inclined to start trusting them now just because they're saying something I want to hear.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I went to a dog park and nobody was masked and it almost felt normal.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Mexico is doing really great (well, better, after the shitshow of December-February)

The curve is basically the same as the US, but… there’s like no vaccination, less than 10% of pop have 1 dose, it’s super slow

So what explains this drop, similar to vaccinated countries? The heat? Maybe a more benign variant spread ? Since it’s one of the lowest testing governments in the world, maybe a lot more people had COVID and it’s natural herd immunity?

Certainly not because people are following health recommendations… official Mexican govt PSAs never even mentioned that you should wear a mask (the emphasis was on washing hands and staying home)

I could be very wrong but it seems like it's hard a rougher time in drier areas.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I read pages like
https://usafacts.org/issues/coronavirus/state/
for my specific state and it just feels weird.
45% first dose 35% second dose; which seems unreal to me until I look at the age demographics

its so loving clear at what age group the 'hesitancy' originates and then it just cascades from there as people look to the example set by boomers

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
People are dumb the vaccines are free and take like 15minutes out of your say, yes you can still test positive but you wont get horribly sick, hospitilized, and die.

Of course it takes some BS made up facebook post about how a vaccine killed their mother and people go crazy.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://twitter.com/EricBoehlert/status/1394093446932176897?s=20

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

infraboy posted:

People are dumb the vaccines are free and take like 15minutes out of your say, yes you can still test positive but you wont get horribly sick, hospitilized, and die.

Of course it takes some BS made up facebook post about how a vaccine killed their mother and people go crazy.

Except some people are because there's still a ton of community spread with this thing. Because not enough people are vaccinated to stop it, yet.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

*laughs in Mexican who has lived 4 decades in a very corrupted government and is not surprised they would do their best to hide the real numbers*

So yes, the answer is corruption and negligence. The usual.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Note that they achieved that with super strict lockdowns (travel restrictions, curfews, closing the airport, closing all the schools except special needs, people weren't allowed to visit other homes, closing non-essential stores, restaurants were delivery only) and even after they started easing restrictions they imposed a "green pass" system where many activities were restricted to people who were vaxxed or had recovered from covid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Israel#Third_wave

They also massively ramped up their vaccination numbers and jabbed the majority of their population while the lockdowns were in place and then slowly eased up on the restrictions as the number of current infections fell, and even though their case numbers have dropped away to nearly nothing they still have a whole bunch of restrictions in place. Their vaccination rate has also dropped off to really low numbers so it's looking like they'll level out at about 60% vaxxed which is still significantly below the herd immunity level so I guess they're going to have to keep their restrictions for a while yet and knuckle down with the contact tracing if they get any significant outbreaks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Joined Pfizer Crew today. :toot: So far just some mild arm pain.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Facebook Aunt posted:

Joined Pfizer Crew today. :toot: So far just some mild arm pain.

Congratulations and thanks .

I really should catchup on NEET has it been good

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The CDC's guidelines have frequently been dogshit throughout the entire pandemic

https://twitter.com/cdcgov/status/1233134710638825473
https://twitter.com/ap/status/1372926056085266439

Their messaging is also frequently terrible, they've been desperately walking back their "Masks are cancelled!!" announcement from earlier in the week
https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1393962194027433995
https://twitter.com/1010WINS/status/1393992204813799428

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sjs00 posted:

Congratulations and thanks .

I really should catchup on NEET has it been good

NEET is good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

Every loving time they make some dumbshit rec, people come out of the woodwork to defend it as “they’ve got to sweeten the pot for compliance!” and then whoopsie-doodle, the CDC has to walk it back a week later and they look like fools.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Platystemon posted:

Capped for future archæologists.

Some activities are more safest than others.

I am not even being facetious right now; where was the miscommunication? this visual aid makes sense to me; 2 weeks after your vax you are good to go. Nothing else; so the CDC now saying "We didn't say everyone take off their masks" is in fact not walking anything back? it was clear to me at least what behavior is risky and what is not . People just don't wanna waaaa

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sjs00 posted:

I am not even being facetious right now; where was the miscommunication? this visual aid makes sense to me; 2 weeks after your vax you are good to go. Nothing else; so the CDC now saying "We didn't say everyone take off their masks" is in fact not walking anything back? it was clear to me at least what behavior is risky and what is not . People just don't wanna waaaa

The CDC naively assumed everyone was going to follow their guidelines in good faith when it should have been suuuuuuuuuuuper obvious that the anti-vaxxers would also take this as a green light to stop masking (if they were even wearing masks in the first place), especially after Fauci went on TV and pointed out that there's no way of knowing if unmasked people are actually vaxxed and we just have to blindly trust them.
Don't forget that 30% of Americans don't plan to get vaxxed and it's incredibly unlikely that most of them plan to keep wearing masks out of consideration for everyone else.

Note also that Gov DeSantis is now pushing to get rid of masks in Florida schools, although he hasn't gone as far as to make that official yet
https://www.wptv.com/rebound/state-of-education/children-shouldnt-wear-face-masks-in-school-florida-governor-says

The big message was "Masks are no longer necessary" and people didn't bother reading the fineprint

E: It's also really clear that the CDC and the White House were completely taken surprise by the blowback against this decision and are scrambling to address it

https://twitter.com/DrLeanaWen/status/1394029688629170181
https://twitter.com/seattletimes/status/1393814640719798274

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 17, 2021

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
sounds like a perfect storm of idiocy

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sjs00 posted:

sounds like a perfect storm of idiocy

That describes the U.S. for the past 5 years.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

That describes the U.S. for the past 5 years.

That's charitable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’ve walked this back in the same way they’ve walked everything else back: by making excuses, by blaming others, by playing games with definitions.

They never say “we erred”.

In her interview with Raddatz, Walensky:

Has a moment of celebration for a job well done.

Excuses CDC’s failure to give warning to Congress, state and local health authorities, and institutions as “I told the American people we would deliver the science as soon as we had it”. This is a defense for a rogue information broker like Julian Assange, not a trusted public health authority.

Responds to Raddatz’ prompt of “this is all on the honor system, and there are people who refuse to get vaccinate, about a quarter of the country, and who oppose mask‐wearing, and who could see this as a green light to go wherever they want, putting others at risk, especially in those indoor settings, including children and the immunocompromised” with

quote:

So, umm, this is a really important point, and that is, the guidance that we released on Thursday is about individuals and what individuals are at risk of doing if they are not vaccinated. If they are vaccinated they are safe. If they are not vaccinated they are not safe; they should still be wearing a mask or, better yet, get vaccinated.

We also need to say that this is not permission for widespread removal of masks, for those who are vaccinated. It may take some time for them to feel comfortable removing their masks.

But also that these decisions need to be made at the jurisdictional level, at the community level. Some communities have been hit harder than others, have lower vaccination rates than others. We wanted to deliver the science at the individual level, but we also understand that these decisions have to be made at the community level.

If these decisions have to be made on a community level, shouldn’t you have given community leaders advance guidance on how to handle this new information? It demonstrably did not go well. We could blame scores of local leaders around the country for fumbling, or we could look at the one thing they all have in common: CDC gave them a bad throw.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Walensky also says, in the Raddatz interview, “if you were to develop an infection—even if you got vaccinated—you can’t transmit that infection to other people”.

If someone knows where to find hot preprint she’s alluding to, please link it.

The studies out of Israel and Scotland suggested that the reduction in transmission is something like eighty or ninety percent. It’s going to get worse with vaccinated people going mask‐off and refraining from testing.

quote:

Fully vaccinated people can:
  • Resume activities without wearing masks or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance
  • Resume domestic travel and refrain from testing before or after travel or self-quarantine after travel
  • Refrain from testing before leaving the United States for international travel (unless required by the destination) and refrain from self-quarantine after arriving back in the United States
  • Refrain from testing following a known exposure, if asymptomatic, with some exceptions for specific settings
  • Refrain from quarantine following a known exposure if asymptomatic
  • Refrain from routine screening testing if feasible

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

It’s one thing to say that vaccinated persons don’t spread the virus nearly as readily as unvaccinated people. It’s quite another to say that they “can’t transmit that infection to other people” and what’s more is that we don’t even need to test them.

We know that vaccinated people can test positive. It sure is great that that mucous can only exit via a swab and never via respiratory droplets.

This is practically a reversion to the early days of the pandemic when no one gets tested unless they have personally been to China.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Platystemon posted:

They’ve walked this back in the same way they’ve walked everything else back: by making excuses, by blaming others, by playing games with definitions.

They never say “we erred”.

In her interview with Raddatz, Walensky:

Has a moment of celebration for a job well done.

Excuses CDC’s failure to give warning to Congress, state and local health authorities, and institutions as “I told the American people we would deliver the science as soon as we had it”. This is a defense for a rogue information broker like Julian Assange, not a trusted public health authority.

Responds to Raddatz’ prompt of “this is all on the honor system, and there are people who refuse to get vaccinate, about a quarter of the country, and who oppose mask‐wearing, and who could see this as a green light to go wherever they want, putting others at risk, especially in those indoor settings, including children and the immunocompromised” with

If these decisions have to be made on a community level, shouldn’t you have given community leaders advance guidance on how to handle this new information? It demonstrably did not go well. We could blame scores of local leaders around the country for fumbling, or we could look at the one thing they all have in common: CDC gave them a bad throw.

It's really hard to fathom how they hosed it up so badly. Under the Trump administration I learned that my lowest expectations were frequently not low enough, but this was a remarkably clueless announcement. It's seriously one of those "what did they think would happen?" moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

Note also that if it goes wrong and numbers start increasing it also gives them an out where they can say "We stand by our guidelines, the problem was unvaccinated individuals who cheated the system and stopped wearing masks and ruined it for everyone"