Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Logged into my work email today to see an email which summarised to “there are some travellers camped near the office, keep an eye out for Crime”.

I’m going to tell them it’s inappropriate, anyone got any useful things I can cite to explain why that poo poo is not OK?
imo it would probably be more effective to have a Union rep or GRT advocacy group hounding HR to sack the oval office responsible rather than doing it yourself, so I reckon you should just send the e-mail to one/both of those asking for advice (& don't mention it yourself in case it causes you trouble)

e: It was 1999 when Turkey banged up Ocalan for treason

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Borrovan posted:

imo it would probably be more effective to have a Union rep or GRT advocacy group hounding HR to sack the oval office responsible rather than doing it yourself, so I reckon you should just send the e-mail to one/both of those asking for advice (& don't mention it yourself in case it causes you trouble)

e: It was 1999 when Turkey banged up Ocalan for treason

I feel like that might be more likely to get you in trouble than anything else.

All depends on your company, maybe contact HR saying you feel it's slightly unprofessional and inappropriate, or at least that's what I would find best, but then again unions aren't really a thing where I work.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 17, 2021

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Has anyone seen that channel 4 dispatches on traveller crime?

I was surprised (well not really) how much blame it put on the travellers. The police officers they interviewed basically said they won't police them in case they get accused of being racist but, that's never stopped them before???!!?!?

"I'm not doing my job unless I can discriminate against people"

and the presenter is like "yeah, travellers are poo poo keep on the lookout for them"

even the statistics in the doc said that overall they have lower crime rates on average than the national average, but that was side stepped by saying "but 1/3rd of encampments have higher crime rates" you mean so 2/3rds don't???

And for the one's they focused on with high crime rates, nobody made any effort to ask why crime rates were high. Basically the whole doc was just blaming the local gov for not moving them on.

Extremely normal country as usual.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I was at a place that had BBC news on their screens this morning. I overheard

"Hamas continues to fire rockets into Israel"

"Anti Semitic abuse shouted from a car in London"

I can only assume the press were doorstepping Corbyn about this.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Despera posted:

The fact that he's ten and peering into watch her naked in the tub doesn't really help the movie. The whole "how can I be horny towards a subhuman?" shouldn't be your films message. I think Jojo was soo bad at this stopped a trope where the main character is "saved by Jewish pussy" from going anywhere so there's that.
This is the most deranged reading of a film I've ever read. You've invented a horny scene that literally doesn't exist in the movie and decided its appropriate to use terms like 'saved by jewish pussy' to describe a chaste one sided relationship between 2 child characters. They don't even kiss at the end because the boy recognizes it would be a meaningless gesture of pity.

'Can I be horny towards a subhuman' isn't remotely the point of the movie nor is it one the movie really asks. 'Are jews cartoonish monsters like I've been taught?' Isn't even really a question because the answer is so blindingly obvious.

Maybe watch again without imagining the child actors having sex and you'll enjoy it more?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Been ages since I saw the film but I thought the humanisation of people who buy into Nazi ideology was actually a positive thing. It's too common a view that the Holocaust was just caused by uniquely evil people doing uniquely evil things, rather than actual human beings doing things that could well happen again if we don't learnt the right lessons.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Despera posted:

The fact that he's ten and peering into watch her naked in the tub doesn't really help the movie. The whole "how can I be horny towards a subhuman?" shouldn't be your films message. I think Jojo was soo bad at this stopped a trope where the main character is "saved by Jewish pussy" from going anywhere so there's that.

Are you a CineD poster? Because this is a very bad take. You'd fit in there.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Borrovan posted:

Been ages since I saw the film but I thought the humanisation of people who buy into Nazi ideology was actually a positive thing. It's too common a view that the Holocaust was just caused by uniquely evil people doing uniquely evil things, rather than actual human beings doing things that could well happen again if we don't learnt the right lessons.

I saw it as an infinitely better take on The Boy in Striped Pyjamas.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Despera posted:

Hand in your hard drives

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
More evidence has surfaced that the 'recycling' infrastructure is a complete loving joke and we'd all be better off trying to reduce waste and doing something interesting* with whatever we would otherwise recycle rather than trusting the current government authorities to do anything worthwhile with it.

* Whether that's making Pinterest crafts out of glass bottles or making oil out of plastics

In international news, Burma's supposed army/military junta is continuing to go full fash, burning farms, kidnapping children to use as human shields, and shelling civilian settlements in Chin State. Chin ethnic groups seem to be getting an even worse deal than the Rohingya, although it's not a competition. Mindat declared a People's Assembly sometime last week in protest at the illegitimate government, and fascists really don't like that kind of thing.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

so idk if it's been posted here yet, but here's a good look at how batshit the Home Office is in the 21st century: https://twitter.com/trillingual/status/1392746894372265984?s=19

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

More evidence has surfaced that the 'recycling' infrastructure is a complete loving joke and we'd all be better off trying to reduce waste and doing something interesting* with whatever we would otherwise recycle rather than trusting the current government authorities to do anything worthwhile with it.
Isn’t chucking it all in an incinerator actually a better outcome than “recycling” (i.e. shipping it off to a Chinese landfill), assuming it’s at least a somewhat modern incinerator?

Recycling really has been one of the biggest scams of the last century IMO

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Venomous posted:

so idk if it's been posted here yet, but here's a good look at how batshit the Home Office is in the 21st century: https://twitter.com/trillingual/status/1392746894372265984?s=19

Reading this, it's hard to escape the impression that the Home Office exists so the government can tell Sun readers that they're fulfilling their racism quota

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Venomous posted:

People slate the guarniad ITT but honestly, I really rate them at times. Just stay out of comment is free

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Another Starmer-bashing article in the Graun - they're really sticking the boot in now!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/may/17/starmer-pitch-england-north-east-disaster-hartlepool-labour

quote:

Labour’s drubbing in the Hartlepool byelection was the most dramatic and symbolic of all the varied results from May’s elections. Party figures have eagerly repeated a familiar metaphor since those results: that Labour has a “mountain to climb”, citing its 2019 election losses as evidence of the scale of the challenges it faces. But the collapse of Labour’s vote share in the north-east of England last week can’t be explained by long-term factors alone. This was a campaign spearheaded by the leader’s office, to which Keir Starmer devoted much time and energy. The loss of Hartlepool, a seat that has voted Labour since its creation, was his failure.

etc

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

multijoe posted:

I hope Jess Phillips runs again, I couldn't believe how badly she hosed it last time

Did she though? She crowd funded a lovely new kitchen and conservatory....

e: fb, and badly too.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh 99% of everything that comes out of the Guardian is liberal shite, but once in a blue moon you have pieces of actual journalism like this that you wouldn't get from any of the conservative broadsheets

anyway the Guardian's still one of the biggest TERF mouthpieces in the country, so it can gently caress off

Venomous fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 17, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

Isn’t chucking it all in an incinerator actually a better outcome than “recycling” (i.e. shipping it off to a Chinese landfill), assuming it’s at least a somewhat modern incinerator?

Recycling really has been one of the biggest scams of the last century IMO
If it's a modern incinerator with CHP capacity and a decent baghouse and maybe even carbon capture then yes, that's good.

But if it's one of those then you don't need to lie to people about recycling and can just openly say that's what you're doing.

The current system of accidentally dropping it all in the sea or dumping it on the Global South or piling it up in waste yards that mysteriously catch fire is worse than nothing, but we really should be aiming for better.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/wongmjane/status/1393541248049303555

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

This is an excellent point and one I've had bitter arguments about with people both left and right. So much writing about the Holocaust and genocide in general is based on the idea that either there was a unique cruelty on the part of the group carrying out the atrocities or that some once-in-a-lifetime charismatic leader hypnotised otherwise lovely people into murdering their neighbours.

The lesson you should learn is that this poo poo can happen anywhere, at any time, the moment you start viewing any group as less deserving of basic rights. It's one of the few times that the slippery slope argument is absolutely 100% true - the moment you start legislating that one group is inferior to another it's a really short, and extremely steep, path to genocide.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I admire Twitter's dedication to making their platform less desirable to use with each and every update

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

If it's a modern incinerator with CHP capacity and a decent baghouse and maybe even carbon capture then yes, that's good.

But if it's one of those then you don't need to lie to people about recycling and can just openly say that's what you're doing.

The current system of accidentally dropping it all in the sea or dumping it on the Global South or piling it up in waste yards that mysteriously catch fire is worse than nothing, but we really should be aiming for better.
Can you just say that's what you're doing though? My gut instinct is that the vast majority of people still aren't aware of how awful the current recycling system really is and would be appalled that it's going to an incinerator at all.

But yea, absolutely even incineration isn't good enough. IMO any manufacturing industry should be legally required to create and enforce a plan that accounts for the entire lifecycle of their products; if you create a widget, then you have to construct or pay for facilities to properly recycle or dispose of 100% of the non-biodegradable material in that widget, and also incentivise customers to actually make use of those facilities.

Hopefully Twitter subscribers will get some special blue tick-esque badge, it'll incentivise the Twitter true believers to pay and warn the rest of us who's terminally online

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"undo" presumably means "edit" and not "delete", which should be a shitshow. Although the alternative would be pretty funny if people made some giant twitter fuckup but werent able to delete it

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

TACD posted:

then you have to construct or pay for facilities to properly recycle or dispose of 100% of the non-biodegradable material in that widget, and also incentivise customers to actually make use of those facilities.

They will just sub-sub-sub-subcontract a company to do that for them (who then send it abroad to be burnt)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

But yea, absolutely even incineration isn't good enough. IMO any manufacturing industry should be legally required to create and enforce a plan that accounts for the entire lifecycle of their products; if you create a widget, then you have to construct or pay for facilities to properly recycle or dispose of 100% of the non-biodegradable material in that widget, and also incentivise customers to actually make use of those facilities.

We need to mandate more products with deposit returns like beer bottles in Germany, etc.

Return your Sex Arse to manufacturer for a 5% discount on the Sex Arse 2021 Edition

E:

https://twitter.com/weIfarecheat/status/1394112960390385667?s=19

This is easy to endorse, because the Eurovision is poo poo now (since Ireland stopped winning). Also pro-tier twitter name there

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 17, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's alright, Dan Hodges has a plan that can't fail:
https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1393991727912996872

It can only be failed. The rest of his timeline is demanding that Jeremy Corbyn be double-ejected from the Labour party for being within fifty metres of this:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1394218824958947328

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

sinky posted:

They will just sub-sub-sub-subcontract a company to do that for them (who then send it abroad to be burnt)
Since we're in my fantasy legislative mind palace I am also stipulating that parent industries are held liable for the environmental misconduct of all their subcontracted companies so if anybody tries any funny stuff they get shat on by every level above them all at once

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

josh04 posted:

It's alright, Dan Hodges has a plan that can't fail:
https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1393991727912996872

It can only be failed. The rest of his timeline is demanding that Jeremy Corbyn be double-ejected from the Labour party for being within fifty metres of this:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1394218824958947328

Isn't that thing of a corrupt Emirati leader and it's literally a printout of his face?

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Isn't that thing of a corrupt Emirati leader and it's literally a printout of his face?

Yeah I think it's meant to be this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_bin_Zayed_Al_Nahyan

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I think the demonic eyes were probably added after the fact. It's probably meant to be Mohammed bin Salman, though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ah yes, the traditional caricature of a Jew wearing an emirati thawb for some reason, also it's a specific person

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's definitely not a great idea when people know that any perceived or imagined antisemitism will be splashed on every front page though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Anyone have that wetherspoons magazine "I'm not racist your racist for calling me racist" parody handy?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

If that's a printout of his face the dude needs to fire his photographer.

Without knowing what it was it looked a lot like an antisemitic caricature to me too tbh, but it looks like it was left over from another protest unrelated to Israel, but considering that protest was not long after the Emirati/Israeli peace deal it could still be deliberate? idk, ngl it looks a bit :chloe:

Not gonna run to the defence of the inflatable but ffs "you can't oppose Israeli war crimes because antisemites might also be there" is such a loving tiresome argument

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

stev posted:

It's definitely not a great idea when people know that any perceived or imagined antisemitism will be splashed on every front page though.

I think the antisemitic horseradish was the point I realised there was literally nothing you could do about bad faith tabloid consent manufacturing against Corbyn, how about you?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think the antisemitic horseradish was the point I realised there was literally nothing you could do about bad faith tabloid consent manufacturing against Corbyn, how about you?

Yep, there's absolutely nothing you can say or do short of complete submission that will get you off the hook from these people. If anything the left should just stop jumping at its own shadow over the issue, it won't stop the accusations and just makes you look like you have something to apologise for

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wait why does Dan Hodges have a photo of an inflatable Corbyn?

TACD posted:

Can you just say that's what you're doing though? My gut instinct is that the vast majority of people still aren't aware of how awful the current recycling system really is and would be appalled that it's going to an incinerator at all.
I think that's largely sunk cost though. The right/ham people spent decades doing the "it's all bollocks and in my day bin men came into the yard and now there's 50 different bins and if you put a yogurt pot in the one that's for ornate wooden dolls only then you get fined you couldn't make it up" and while those people chat complete poo poo, there are huge parts of recycling that are, in fact, all bollocks and we should demand better.

We need to lean more heavily on reduce and reuse rather than treat unsustainable consumption as acceptable as long as it goes in the right bin. (And yes, point it at corporations more than consumers.)

Playing up the advantages of plastic to oil or CHP incinerators might get some people on board too, more than "we're just burning it", because at least you're getting something useful out of it, but making new plastic out of sustainable oils becomes an important factor in that case. There's a poo poo ton of oil bound up in plastic waste though.

Failed Imagineer posted:

We need to mandate more products with deposit returns like beer bottles in Germany, etc.
Also definitely this.

Failed Imagineer posted:

For me it was their years long campaign that Ed Miliband was the rootless cosmopolitan Marxist intellectual traitorous International Jew of London suddenly spinning on a sixpence to Corbyn being an antisemite. The English tabloid press doesn't give a single poo poo about AS unless they can use it to make someone else look bad.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Azza Bamboo posted:

"Anti Semitic abuse shouted from a car in London"

I can only assume the press were doorstepping Corbyn about this.

I need a sense check on this one.

Jewish Voice for Labour posted on Twitter about that incident that it was threatening to Jewish people, no help to Palestinians, and criminal.
Then they posted “There is some suggestion this may be a fake, produced to damage the Palestine solidarity movement. If so that is even more despicable than the behaviour shown. If it's real our comment stands”.

Inevitably this caused a backlash, with various people saying that JVL was making the claim that it was a fake or false flag, which they clearly did not say.

I (stupidly) felt the need to defend them, because they were being falsely accused of making a claim. What they said was, to me, reasonable- at the time nobody knew who was behind it, so a bit of looking before leaping seemed warranted.

That led to a minor left-wing (and non-Jewish...) journalist I’ve followed for years going apeshit at me, saying that what I’d said was equivalent to Holocaust denial and blaming rape victims for having been raped.

Disproportionate, or was I being a monster?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Agreed, but I think that inflatable could very easily be mistaken for antisemitic by any passing rando. Why make the target bigger than it already is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress is wrong with these people's brains?

https://twitter.com/emmacpicken/status/1394242763999301632