Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I bought my wife this burr grinder about 6 years ago and she used it every other night and loves it, it still looks brand new. You can likely find something for about half the price, but this thing is worth it if you can’t find a better deal:

Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Coffee Grinder, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003S9XF7K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5DAQGKEY936G8KZPTCBW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Inzombiac posted:

I'm looking for some great sneakers that are super comfy and don't look like some kinda hosed up marshmallow.

Around $100 would be great.

onitsuka tiger

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

PRADA SLUT posted:

onitsuka tiger

Piggybacking on that, I found the Onitsuka Tiger Tai Chis to be very comfortable but the durability was very low in my opinion. I can't speak for the other models though.

My go-to for a combination of comfort and durability is the Kursk sneaker by Chrome. They are primarily a messenger bag company, but they make shoes and other apparel. I don't care much for the bags myself but that shoe is fantastic and it shows up in their sales a lot for like 50 bucks. I have also tried the Truk, Southside, and Dima sneakers by them in case those are more your style among what they offer. The Truk feels pretty much the same as the Kursk, and the Southside had roughly the same fit but is more of a basketball type sneaker design. The Dima sneaker did not fit me well at all because I have fairly wide feet. It has a noticeably smaller toebox and was very uncomfortable despite ordering the same size as the others. I also recommend elastic laces by Xpand, in case you have any comfort issues with sneakers as a result of eyelets pressing against your foot. I wouldn't run in them, personally, but I use them on pretty much any shoe I can.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good beginner soldering iron? I have a third hand that's solid, but my current $10, somewhat used, soldering iron kind of sucks.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I have the Weller WLC100, it's decent for a non-temperature-controlled model. Just has a dial from 1 to 5.

(non-affiliate link)
https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station/dp/B000AS28UC

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Looks good to me - how do you tell what temperature the dial's at? Is it just kind of trial and error? I really don't have a sense of how important specific temperatures are, I'm basically just soldering little diodes and switches, nothing particularly fancy.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I’ve had that same iron for 20 years. It’s fine. Get it hot enough to do the work you need, but not hotter. “3” is good. I go to 5 to heat up desoldering braid.

The tips are replaceable and easy to find.

My only complaint is that the power cord is too short.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Does anyone have any opinions on footbaths? The Conair I've had for over a decade now no longer bubbles or heats up and I'm looking into getting a new one but not sure what to look for. Don't really care about the bubbles but heat and massage is nice.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Best household humidifier? Moving to somewhere with single digit air humidity (from somewhere with 90%+ humidity).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

1redflag posted:

Best household humidifier? Moving to somewhere with single digit air humidity (from somewhere with 90%+ humidity).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001J05IC/

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Somehow I read that question the other way around, moving somewhere with single digit humidity sounds like a dream come true :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have an air conditioner that works relatively fine still, but it's getting a bit old and the plastic is starting to yellow on some parts, so maybe it's time to replace it. I bought this one for my mom a year ago and it's a good one, but is there an above-all best one to get?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
What's the best rice cooker that works well with brown rice? I've started researching and seeing some offering a function for making sprouted brown rice, which I've never had before, but it sounds good. I like the look of this one - anyone used that brand before? I often see Zojirushi recommended as well.

Beethovens Fist Symphony
Oct 21, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Chas McGill posted:

What's the best rice cooker that works well with brown rice? I've started researching and seeing some offering a function for making sprouted brown rice, which I've never had before, but it sounds good. I like the look of this one - anyone used that brand before? I often see Zojirushi recommended as well.

Can't comment on sprouted rice specifically, but I splurged on a Zojirushi cooker about 12 years ago and don't regret it. I use it about every other week and cook mostly brown rice, and it keeps giving me perfect rice after all this time. Pretty certain it will outlive me at this point which is way more than I can say for almost any other appliance I've owned.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Is there a decent espresso machine that doesn't cost north of $400.00 US or is that like the baseline for some insane reason?

e: I don't drink coffee; this is a gift so I really don't know what is important or not in one of these machines.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887

Coffee goons might be a better resource for you on that one

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cornuto posted:

Is there a decent espresso machine that doesn't cost north of $400.00 US or is that like the baseline for some insane reason?

e: I don't drink coffee; this is a gift so I really don't know what is important or not in one of these machines.

There may have been a new model from someone released in the last few years, but for a long time the cheapest espresso machine worth buying has been the Rancilio Silvia and you can get them refurbed for $500-550 if you time it right.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Beethovens Fist Symphony posted:

Can't comment on sprouted rice specifically, but I splurged on a Zojirushi cooker about 12 years ago and don't regret it. I use it about every other week and cook mostly brown rice, and it keeps giving me perfect rice after all this time. Pretty certain it will outlive me at this point which is way more than I can say for almost any other appliance I've owned.

Nice, that's good to know. I love long lasting appliances.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Captain Invictus posted:

I have an air conditioner that works relatively fine still, but it's getting a bit old and the plastic is starting to yellow on some parts, so maybe it's time to replace it. I bought this one for my mom a year ago and it's a good one, but is there an above-all best one to get?

Looks like that's out of stock but this is the closest replacement for a simple 5,000 BTU window unit with nothing fancy like a remote, auto temp control, etc...

Personally, I'd spend at least a little more to get a remote. Nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night and being either too cold or too hot and having to actually get out of bed to adjust the thing. Maybe this LG model:
https://smile.amazon.com/LG-LW8016ER-Window-Mounted-Conditioner-Control/dp/B01D3FOD0Q

But if you want to go CRAZY, get one of these bad boys:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08677DCKN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 (though that's more BTU's than above, so you might not need anything this big.)

I got it last fall, so technically I can't give a full report yet, but it's an ultra efficient inverter model, AND it's designed so you can still open/use the window it's in so if it's not a hot day, you can open the window for some nice airflow. Also the reviews all say how quiet it is, BUT that the install is a massive pain since it's not just a "drop and go" setup like a traditional window AC.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Some years ago Nike/Converse released an updated version of the classic Chuck Taylors called the 'Chuck 2'. I bought a pair at the time and wore them until they eventually wore out. They had one feature that made them (for me at least) worth the extra $20...a "non-slip, gusseted tongue". Basically, the tongue was attached to the inside of the upper by elastic. This kept the tongue centered and kept it from bunching up. This one feature fixed my biggest complaint about Chuck Taylors; I have narrow feet and the tongue eventually starts to slide off to the side, becoming uncomfortable. They've since been discontinued and are no longer available so I can't buy another pair.
Is anybody aware of any other shoes similar in style that have this feature?

Mr. Clark2 has a new favorite as of 18:31 on May 18, 2021

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Staying on the keeping cool this summer topic, I need a new fan. I prefer tower fans because of their form factor and this one caught my eye.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PDDSDHY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_EFXAK9CCZ45G6BJZ1GCC

Problem is, I think the ratio of reviews seem too good to be true for a fan (91% 5-star, 1% 1-star). I’m especially skeptical because two well-regarded tech accessories companies got caught recently buying reviews and I’m wondering if this Dreo group is doing the same.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Butt Savage posted:

Staying on the keeping cool this summer topic, I need a new fan. I prefer tower fans because of their form factor and this one caught my eye.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PDDSDHY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_EFXAK9CCZ45G6BJZ1GCC

Problem is, I think the ratio of reviews seem too good to be true for a fan (91% 5-star, 1% 1-star). I’m especially skeptical because two well-regarded tech accessories companies got caught recently buying reviews and I’m wondering if this Dreo group is doing the same.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

https://www.vornado.com/shop/circulators-fans/173-37-tower-circulator

We recently moved and our new place has no ceiling fans which I kind of miss for air circulation so I've been considering getting this. I've had other vornado fans before and been happy but haven't had this in particular (or a tower fan by them.)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Looking for a vacuum, probably one of those smaller hand vacuums for an apartment. The last two I've gotten were both very cheap and ultimately poo poo. The roomba I got back on the first Prime Day doesn't hold a charge long enough to get through one room. Time to get something that works.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nephzinho posted:

Looking for a vacuum, probably one of those smaller hand vacuums for an apartment. The last two I've gotten were both very cheap and ultimately poo poo. The roomba I got back on the first Prime Day doesn't hold a charge long enough to get through one room. Time to get something that works.

I’ve had a Bissell 47R51 for three years and really like it. Definitely go for wall power regardless of what you get, it’s so much better than the wireless options.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nephzinho posted:

I know someone that has this type and really likes it.
https://www.amazon.com/Dyson-Animal...ps%2C239&sr=8-4

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

1redflag posted:

You get used to it. It’s actually very nice. Drink lots of water.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

Nephzinho posted:

I own a second-hand Miele Cat&Dog canister vac and it’s one of the quietest vacuums I’ve ever heard. Does a great job too. However, it’s not a stick vacuum.

I saw a thread on Reddit from a vac repairperson who recommended models from dedicated vacuum shops, because the increased price does mean higher quality. Like, I had never heard of Riccar before but apparently, they make some bulletproof stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1pe2bd/iama_vacuum_repair_technician_and_i_cant_believe/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well we're going to be doing some landscaping, and some of my tools are no longer functional or are old and rusty. I'm looking to get:

hand scythe
bushwhacker
maybe some sort of multitool if there's one of those for pruning/gardening

Anyone have good recommendations for those? there's roughly a billion options on amazon.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Well we're going to be doing some landscaping, and some of my tools are no longer functional or are old and rusty. I'm looking to get:

hand scythe
bushwhacker
maybe some sort of multitool if there's one of those for pruning/gardening

Anyone have good recommendations for those? there's roughly a billion options on amazon.

For pruning you want Felco tools. I use their hand shears and loppers for branch trimming. Best I've ever owned and consistently a favorite of professional gardeners.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Cornuto posted:

https://www.vornado.com/shop/circulators-fans/173-37-tower-circulator

We recently moved and our new place has no ceiling fans which I kind of miss for air circulation so I've been considering getting this. I've had other vornado fans before and been happy but haven't had this in particular (or a tower fan by them.)

:psyduck: Reviews for this one are definitely more mixed. Hard to tell if this fan is indeed too noisy or not, and if it’s built like poo poo compared to older Vornado products. But it does make me wonder if what I really need is an air circulator rather than a traditional fan. It gets humid as gently caress in my apartment and I can’t figure out how to beat it without running the AC all day. More stuff to think about.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Butt Savage posted:

:psyduck: Reviews for this one are definitely more mixed. Hard to tell if this fan is indeed too noisy or not, and if it’s built like poo poo compared to older Vornado products. But it does make me wonder if what I really need is an air circulator rather than a traditional fan. It gets humid as gently caress in my apartment and I can’t figure out how to beat it without running the AC all day. More stuff to think about.

Can you run your furnace/ac on recirculate mode? Ours can either run the fan constantly or like 30% of the time randomly to keep the air fresh without turning on the heating/cooling portion

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Anyone got recommendations for sparkling water? I picked up some Bubly and found only one flavor even mildly decent, the others terrible. the google result for bubly says

quote:

bubly is an unsweetened sparkling water that playfully instigates fun and positivity in everyday life.
what the gently caress kind of marketing garbage babble is that, more like playfully instigates me pouring the can down the drain

Something lower sugar would be nice, but not terrible like bubly.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Captain Invictus posted:

Anyone got recommendations for sparkling water? I picked up some Bubly and found only one flavor even mildly decent, the others terrible. the google result for bubly says
what the gently caress kind of marketing garbage babble is that, more like playfully instigates me pouring the can down the drain

My wife likes a brand called Waterloo

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Polar has the best flavors imo. I agree buble or wtf sucks, la Croix is mostly decent, Waterloo is good too

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

signalnoise posted:

My wife likes a brand called Waterloo

Schmeichy posted:

Polar has the best flavors imo. I agree buble or wtf sucks, la Croix is mostly decent, Waterloo is good too
cool, thanks! I'll pick some up next time I'm at the store and check'em out.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I remember bubly being really terrible too.

Spindrift is really good, but more expensive. Spindrift is flavored with small amounts of fruit juice.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

Topo Chico

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We got a sodastream recently and haven't looked back, but we didn't really care for flavor, we just wanted the bubbles.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

The true answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Bumble Dong posted:

Can you run your furnace/ac on recirculate mode? Ours can either run the fan constantly or like 30% of the time randomly to keep the air fresh without turning on the heating/cooling portion

I’ve never actually tried running my AC in that mode, only because I have it in my bedroom and when I’m there I put it in cool mode to cool the room while I sleep. Never occurred to me to try it.

My apartment is fairly small, so I wonder if it could still circulate the air from the bedroom in tandem with a fan.