Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If I knew how, I would.

Relatedly, it’s probably time for a new forum name for the second quarter

Dramatic alloy wheels and a sporty new engine tune?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
It's summer, and influx of new riders.

"Sub 350cc and take the MSF"

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

2021: Busa Giggles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nExJTNlW9-4&t=309s

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
"Motorcycle Discussion Thread: All bikes are poo poo (except the first-gen VFR750)"

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If I knew how, I would.

Relatedly, it’s probably time for a new forum name for the second quarter

You already came up with it yourself in the other thread:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Magna Carta V65 Custom

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:allears:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Supradog posted:

It's summer, and influx of new riders.

"Sub 350cc and take the MSF" buy a gopro

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Anyone ride their bike to the gym or to hikes? Thinking about how I would handle both. For hikes I guess that I’d just bring some hiking clothes in a backpack/bag and just leave my riding gear with the bike at the trailhead and hope no one steals it. Most of the places I hike I think would be okay but uh not really sure on that. And then I guess try not to get too sweaty or dusty.

For the gym I’m wondering do you just put your gear back on sweaty and poo poo? Like that to me seems like would get not great since I can’t really wash my jackets very easily or do I just buy a jacket specifically to get nasty? I would normally think taking a shower at the gym but ones around here have them closed due to covid still.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TheBacon posted:

Anyone ride their bike to the gym or to hikes? Thinking about how I would handle both. For hikes I guess that I’d just bring some hiking clothes in a backpack/bag and just leave my riding gear with the bike at the trailhead and hope no one steals it. Most of the places I hike I think would be okay but uh not really sure on that. And then I guess try not to get too sweaty or dusty.

For the gym I’m wondering do you just put your gear back on sweaty and poo poo? Like that to me seems like would get not great since I can’t really wash my jackets very easily or do I just buy a jacket specifically to get nasty? I would normally think taking a shower at the gym but ones around here have them closed due to covid still.

I do for hikes. I typically just hike in my klim outlanders since they’re more or less hiking boots, but I’ll pack myself a pair of shorts, underpants, (spare) socks, and a tee in my backpack for the actual hike. no one gaf if you’re naked at a trailhead and there’s usually a pit toilet at the hikes I usually hit up, but that way you’re not leaving anything valuable on your bike that insurance won’t pay for if it gets stolen and you can throw your riding pants / jacket in your backpack for the actual hike

there are helmet locks that exist and are pretty cheap, but to date I haven’t ever had a helmet stolen or hosed with, so I don’t mind leaving it on my bike, but you could always carry it or strap it to your backpack if you’re really worried about it. same goes for gear; no need to bring it, but I usually do cause I’ve got room in my trail18

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I've been fantasizing about a bike with lockable hard luggage for a while now...

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Klims Hardanger has a metal loop in it so you can lock your suit to the bike.

But after a year, I wouldn’t recommend buying one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TheBacon posted:

Do the workout or hike in full winter gear. Big multiplier effect on the workout, protects you against dropped rocks weights and equipment, and will make actual riding feel like a breeze.

Admittedly your crash helmet becoming sweaty enough to achieve sentience is a risk you'll have to deal with.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
lockers and showers tho

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I guess I hadn’t thought about just carrying all my gear with me on a hike, suppose I could do that.

As for lockers and shower, ya locker was in the plan, but kind of hard to shower while they are closer, maybe that will change soon

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2021-triumph-trident-vs-2021-yamaha-mt-07

Apparently the Trident does everything the MT07 doesn't, however that includes having a boring engine and possibly grenading itself, time will tell.
The fact that Yamaha keeps releasing bikes with lovely throttle response is inexcusable though, it's almost like every new model has it and then it's patched out after a year or two. They also keep increasing the prices of their popular models, effectively pricing themselves into nicer-bike territory, same happened for the Tracer.

High Protein fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 17, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just get a backpack and bring clean clothes with you. After years of playing hockey I can tell you that you that getting sweat smell out of something you don't want to be funky is going to drive you nuts. If you can't take a shower at least towel down and change into something dry, don't ride in your sweaty stuff :(

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Why not have a second helmet especially for riding to the gym so your good lid doesn't have to get funky?

And since it's not your main it can just be a crappy LS2 or some other £70 thing that does crash protection and nothing else.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TheBacon posted:

The usual thing if you have to leave your stuff with the bike is to get a long (like 2m) cable lock like
, thread it through the sleeve, pant leg (if applicable), and helmet opening, and lock it to whatever part of the bike you can thread it through.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

High Protein posted:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2021-triumph-trident-vs-2021-yamaha-mt-07

Apparently the Trident does everything the MT07 doesn't, however that includes having a boring engine and possibly grenading itself, time will tell.
The fact that Yamaha keeps releasing bikes with lovely throttle response is inexcusable though, it's almost like every new model has it and then it's patched out after a year or two. They also keep increasing the prices of their popular models, effectively pricing themselves into nicer-bike territory, same happened for the Tracer.

I would love to ride a MT-07/XSR with a full suspension upgrade (I suspect even the cheapest aftermarket parts would be immeasurably better) and remapped ECU to fix the snatchy throttle.

They were going to be my next purchase for my XSR, but I didn’t see the point spending another £1-2000 on a £5000 bike... But I’m curious on what I’m missing out on.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Horse Clocks posted:

I would love to ride a MT-07/XSR with a full suspension upgrade (I suspect even the cheapest aftermarket parts would be immeasurably better) and remapped ECU to fix the snatchy throttle.

They were going to be my next purchase for my XSR, but I didn’t see the point spending another £1-2000 on a £5000 bike... But I’m curious on what I’m missing out on.

It's making me more interested to see what they have on the R7 when it gets announced at :toot: R World :toot: tomorrow.

Leaked pics show what looks like an updated front at least.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Rolo posted:

It's making me more interested to see what they have on the R7 when it gets announced at :toot: R World :toot: tomorrow.

Leaked pics show what looks like an updated front at least.

Yeah, the r7 getting new suspension rustles my jimmies a bit. It’s (imo) easily the worst bit about the other bikes.

Maybe they’ll bring them to everything else in 2022.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Renaissance Robot posted:

Why not have a second helmet especially for riding to the gym so your good lid doesn't have to get funky?

And since it's not your main it can just be a crappy LS2 or some other £70 thing that does crash protection and nothing else.

Finger Prince posted:

The usual thing if you have to leave your stuff with the bike is to get a long (like 2m) cable lock like
, thread it through the sleeve, pant leg (if applicable), and helmet opening, and lock it to whatever part of the bike you can thread it through.

these make sense

Martytoof posted:

Just get a backpack and bring clean clothes with you. After years of playing hockey I can tell you that you that getting sweat smell out of something you don't want to be funky is going to drive you nuts. If you can't take a shower at least towel down and change into something dry, don't ride in your sweaty stuff :(

and ya was really uh not looking forward to that, main reason I asked heh

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Alternately lean deep into the sportbike bros culture and layer on the Axe body spray T H I C K

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

TheBacon posted:

I ride to the gym but I only lift and don't do my cardio there so I'm not that sweaty. Also I ride in my gym gear: shorts, sneakers and cut off shirt. The riding gear I wear are helmet gloves and jacket.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I’ve ridden to the climbing gym a couple times and found out shifting and braking can be a lot harder on the way home. Like, kind of dangerously so.

Pre pandemic though so lockers and showers were available.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I’d love to do it more but my hands and especially brain are total bullshit after the gym.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Yuns posted:

I ride to the gym but I only lift and don't do my cardio there so I'm not that sweaty. Also I ride in my gym gear: shorts, sneakers and cut off shirt. The riding gear I wear are helmet gloves and jacket.

Hrm ya I get really sweaty doing just anything. I suppose I should have thought about it before selling my car lol.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
R World!

I wish Yamaha would put higher res images on their mobile site. Suzuki does :(

Hey so here the R7, it comes in predictable colors like

BLUE

and

BLACK

These are the only two colors, note the teal (?) looking stripe on the front. Also they went with a color LCD dash like everyone else but I like this one. Very simple. Yamaha probably does my favorite digital gauges.

They built a kinda cool 3D configurator for their website:

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/build-your-yzf-r7

There’s only 6 accessories but flipping the model around in full 360 is cool.

quote:

ENGINE

Torquey CP2 Powerplant
Yamaha's proven 689cc liquid-cooled, inline 2-cylinder DOHC fuel-injected CP2 engine delivers excellent power and performance throughout the rpm range for an exhilarating ride and a true supersport experience. Its 270-degree crankshaft delivers linear torque for exciting acceleration and limited vibration.

Linear Torque with Smooth Acceleration
The all-new YZF-R7 boasts a 270-degree crankshaft that delivers a tactile experience of pulse and acceleration with limited vibration. The CP2 engine provides the rider a linear-feeling direction connection from the throttle to the rear wheel.

All-New A&S Clutch
A first for Yamaha's CP2 platform, the all-new Assist and Slipper clutch reduces clutch lever force providing seamless downshifts and a controlled feeling over the bike's engine braking that helps make the supersport experience more accessible to more riders. For fast and smooth upshifts, an optional Quick Shift System (QSS) is also available on the YZF-R7.

Quick Shift System for Smooth Upshifts
An optional Quick Shift System (QSS) can be paired with the YZF-R7 to help provide speedy, smooth upshifts. When the sensor on the shift rod detects movement in the gearshift lever, adjustments are made in the engine output according to ECU calculations to instantly cancel out the drive torque of the engaged gear to promote swifter shifting of gears.

Strong and Lightweight Pistons
Forged aluminum pistons with direct-plated cylinders integrated with the crank case makes for lighter weight and excellent strength at higher temperatures, ensuring reliability at higher rpm.

quote:

CHASSIS/SUSPENSION

Supersport Riding Position
The carefully developed rider's triangle puts you in a clear supersport riding position. The YZF-R7's racing-inspired cockpit puts you in a comfortable confidence-inspiring position. A new seat, combined with new tank covers featuring deep knee pockets, provides optimal hip and knee positioning. Riders get the freedom to adjust positions while also maintaining a firmly planted feeling in corners plus sturdy body hold under braking. Separate clip-on handlebars are set in relation to the riders hips and footpeg positions for an aggressive rider position.

Inverted Front Fork
The YZF-R7 features a preload, rebound and compression adjustable inverted KYB 41mm front fork featuring optimized spring rates and damping settings for an excellent front-end feel during cornering and braking.

Lightweight Frame Tuned for Rigidity Balance
A high-strength steel frame with a rigid-mount aluminum center brace provides an optimized balance of rigidity for linear and nimble responsiveness to rider input.

Monocross Rear Shock
The all-new linked-type Monocross single-shock design reduces weight and further centralizes mass. Its adjustable spring preload and rebound damping are tuned to strike a balance between ride comfort and sporty performance, for capability across a wide range of uses, from urban commuting to track days.

Potent Braking
A newly-designed radial brake master cylinder from Brembo combined with radial-mounted front brake calipers on dual 298mm front brake rotors optimize braking pressure for linear delivery with excellent performance and controllability.

Thin Proportions for Perfect Control
All-new dimensions give the YZF-R7 the slimmest proportions of the entire R-Series family, aiding in sporty riding with optimal handling for cornering on the track and agility for changing lean directions on twisty roads. The slim design reduces wind resistance for optimal aerodynamics with new bodywork that incorporates the rider's body to influence the flow of air around the bike.

Sporty New Suspension
The YZF-R7 features an inverted 41mm front fork with optimized spring rate and damping settings for an excellent front-end feel during cornering and braking. An all-new linked-type Monocross single-shock with adjustable spring preload and rebound damping strikes a balance between ride comfort and supersport performance, for capability across a wide range of uses, from urban commuting to track days.

Starting at $8,999
COMING NEXT MONTH

I’m kinda thinking I’m gonna get one. Also gently caress man give us a third color.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 18, 2021

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That is a very YAMAHA looking motorcycle. Simple but pretty. Looks very fun. Interesting move since it's replacing the R6, because I think that engine is less of a widowmaker than the i4 600. Probably for the best. Very cheap, too!

I want a supermoto with that engine. :getin: (I guess you could convert a t7)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's a helluva good looking bike in colours I would never want so thankfully no temptation there.

I really love the look and the thought of the R7 but nothing really enough to draw me away from my 650 so good for me I think :D

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
it looks like a knock off gixxer to me

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sounds like it's more like a bigger R3 than a replacement for the R6

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MomJeans420 posted:

Sounds like it's more like a bigger R3 than a replacement for the R6

This is what I hope it is. The seat height is between the 3 and 6 but the positioning looks pretty aggressive.

Still, excited to go sit on it. If it’s uncomfortable I’ll hold out until Suzuki gets the hint and gives me a got dang SV650S.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

why did they do an upshift only quick shifter lol

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

right arm posted:

I don't think you can do a two-way quickshifter with a cable operated throttle that all the CP2 bikes have.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

right arm posted:

Traditional cable throttle on the CP2 engine. No fly by wire to blip the throttle for downshift.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lame, but makes sense. quickshifted downshifts are way more fun (and noisy) than upshifts

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
After two and a half years of riding, my girlfriend had her first disagreement with a car:

They pulled out of a side street in front of her and she wasn't able to stop in time. Apparently his vehicle came out looking worse, I guess because she went into the forward crumple zone. She fell over but she's only got a few bruises, thankfully.

It's a secondary concern, but I'm glad this happened to her lovely old Sinnis and not the nearly new Yamaha we brought home on Sunday.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

After two and a half years of riding, my girlfriend had her first disagreement with a car:

They pulled out of a side street in front of her and she wasn't able to stop in time. Apparently his vehicle came out looking worse, I guess because she went into the forward crumple zone. She fell over but she's only got a few bruises, thankfully.

It's a secondary concern, but I'm glad this happened to her lovely old Sinnis and not the nearly new Yamaha we brought home on Sunday.

I'd say the Yamaha did this deliberately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I ordered some Ducati stuff and the dealership facilitating the order, in Detroit, screwed up two orders in Massachusetts. They sent me something destined for a dude in the northern part of the state and vice versa; they included the PO for his order, so I knew his name and address. I contacted the dealership right away to let them know, and asked that they just send me a label for the other dude and I'll get it out to him. I dropped his off yesterday afternoon, and because I didn't hear back from the dealership with tracking numbers or any confirmation I assumed my parts were already up on eBay.

To my surprise, the guy called me today (since he also had my info) and said he'd just dropped off my parts at UPS. We talked for about 15 minutes about motorcycles, apparently he just got his first bike, a Ducati Monster, and asked if I had any tips.

"Buy a GoPro," I said.

He actually sounded pretty competent. Had just taken the MSF, and was waiting for all of his gear to come in before he really got out riding. The part erroneously sent to me was a back protector, but he was still waiting for his jacket. Nice to hear there are people considering appropriate gear before riding, but maybe that's just the contrast to who I usually see riding near me, which are squids and Harley boomers.