Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
i don't have the same visceral hatred of ferrinus that some people have but

Ferrinus posted:

this actually typifies a particular left-wing deviation pretty well, specifically the anarcho-trot paranoia about Bureaucratism or whatever where the mere fact of someone doing administrative labor inevitably corrupts them beyond recognition and this is why it is simply too dangerous to ever have a state rather than a continuous global insurrection. people confuse the form for the class character

come on this is nonsense, you can't apply State and Revolution to 'modding CSPAM'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

this actually typifies a particular left-wing deviation pretty well, specifically the anarcho-trot paranoia about Bureaucratism or whatever where the mere fact of someone doing administrative labor inevitably corrupts them beyond recognition and this is why it is simply too dangerous to ever have a state rather than a continuous global insurrection. people confuse the form for the class character

DnD trash with leftist traits.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

John Charity Spring posted:

come on this is nonsense, you can't apply State and Revolution to 'modding CSPAM'

New thread title

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

we can see now that the byob traveling thread was merely the state department dropping off failed c-spam posters to overthrow the communism thread and install flavius as the head of a chicago school of economics thread

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

what's nonsensical about it? this is actually something that comes up a lot in discussion of marxism and the state generally, the idea that you can separate the state apparatus from the power that drives that apparatus and therefore that an entire mass of people can somehow be tricked or intimidated into compliance with a tiny ruling elite rather than something more straightforward and material going on. it's the kind of thinking that gets you "i support the cuban people, not their government" or the idea that If Only They Knew, the american populace would rise up against the white supremacist police state they live in. in reality the nazi, american, and soviet leaders all ruled with a consent of at least a plurality of the governed, rather than being dominated by a scheming bureaucracy or whatever

this is to say that centrist committee from a couple pages ago is correct: the general population of the forums should and does have a say in how it's run. the dictatorial power of the mods and admins is flashy and memorable but ultimately helpless in the face of people just deciding not to post here at all or to derail threads in protest. what this means, though, is that the policy of the mod team actually does come from the forums - calling someone the r-word is probatable now while it wasn't five years ago because there's been a sea change in how membership views it that has filtered up into the volunteer mod team, not because the mods and only the mods (not the iks!!) are being corrupted by the one ring. what appears to be purely personal conflict between one guy and some other guys who don't like him is actually a broader culture clash which history has happened to randomly assign some names and faces to

Ferrinus has issued a correction as of 16:29 on May 17, 2021

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
that’s a lot of words mister

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
thank you woozy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ferrinus posted:

what's nonsensical about it? this is actually something that comes up a lot in discussion of marxism and the state generally, the idea that you can separate the state apparatus from the power that drives that apparatus and therefore that an entire mass of people can somehow be tricked or intimidated into compliance with a tiny ruling elite rather than something more straightforward and material going on. it's the kind of thinking that gets you "i support the cuban people, not their government" or the idea that If Only They Knew, the american populace would rise up against the white supremacist police state they live in. in reality the nazi, american, and soviet leaders all ruled with a consent of at least a plurality of the governed, rather than being dominated by a scheming bureaucracy or whatever

this is to say that centrist committee from a couple pages ago is correct: the general population of the forums should and does have a say in how it's run. the dictatorial power of the mods and admins is flashy and memorable but ultimately helpless in the face of people just deciding not to post here at all or to derail threads in protest. what this means, though, is that the policy of the mod team actually does come from the forums - calling someone the r-word is probatable now while it wasn't five years ago because there's been a sea change in how membership views it that has filtered up into the volunteer mod team, not because the mods and only the mods (not the iks!!) are being corrupted by the one ring. what appears to be purely personal conflict between one guy and some other guys who don't like him is actually a broader culture clash which history has happened to randomly assign some names and faces to

This posting like an anime villain gimmick is really working out for you huh?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

you love to see it folks

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

[goon project] replacing ferrinus’s Ritalin hookup with placebo sugar pills

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Fortaleza posted:

[goon project] replacing ferrinus’s Ritalin hookup with placebo sugar pills

thats how you end up with a Gazi from Black Hammer type guy

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
lol

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

a Loving Dog posted:

thats how you end up with a Gazi from Black Hammer type guy

That could be a fun gimmick if someone could pull it off

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

the dictatorial power of the mods and admins is flashy and memorable but ultimately helpless in the face of people just deciding not to post here at all

Noooo don't tell them about the mods' one weakness, now they'll have ultimate power over the forums... I can't believe you've done this...

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

actually if you look into it you'll find all these reports of "slurs used" all stem from adrian zenz

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

To use your buttons against a comrade. To suspend their posting for six, twelve, or twenty-four hours in retaliation for petty insults. To move a thread to another forum as a joke. This is a twelfth kind.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Brain Candy posted:

Mithridates -> King of Pontus
Caesar -> Queen of Biythnia
Mirthas -> Sol Invictus

you know, with Rome's entire row with Carthage, you would be slightly excused to forget about the rest of Asia Minor, but I really ought to have thought of another kingdom of the era :doh:

edit: oh, and it was Hellenized too? well, there's a conflict right there, especially given this time period, ooh

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://puu.sh/HHn7M/10420cf264.mp4

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

I just think we should have someone who isn't generally an rear end in a top hat to slap sixers for the r-word as needed maybe

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Mr. Lobe posted:

I just think we should have someone who isn't generally an rear end in a top hat to slap sixers for the r-word as needed maybe

I volunteer as tribute

Ruigi

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

a Loving Dog posted:

thank you woozy

lmao

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
Between depriving a man of one hour from his posting and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. You have done violence to him, consumed his lulz. Elaborate euphemisms may conceal your intent to kill, but behind any use of power over another the ultimate assumption remains: “I feed on your rolfs.”

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

IS A POSTER NOT ENTITLED TO THEIR MARXISM THREAD?
NO, SAY THE IKs, EHL EMM AY OOO
NO, SAY THE MODS, STOP SAYING SLURS
NO, SAY THE ADMINS, WE'LL JUST APPROVE YOUR BANS

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
what is the function of a judge? to interpret laws, as a machine intended for the production of justice. the input is assumed to be a selection of impartial laws decided upon by a divine agent of heaven, thus the output must always be the calm that follows the impartial intrepretation of divine law. the peace of justice arrives, when no longer is there a poster with a justified will to post. so hows that modding the fyad away going for ya? all good? good good

a marxist analysis of criminal justice is imho a rather neglegted topic of discussion. nothing ive read have ever offered an institution of government that didnt function exactly the way modern republican institutions operate, only with maybe better constituent bureaucrats, possibly selected democratically, filling the same positions of judges, prosecutors and defense attorneys. there seemingly isnt any possibility of a legal system that didnt operate according to principles already professed to by existing legal institutions

to me, it just seems that running a hierarchical system without acknowledging the responsibility of the hierarch to intervene when that system starts coughing up bans and extremely smoothbrained probes, is kinda stupid. the mods around here do not depend on your support, but on the fact that jeffrey will not be intervening unless somebody literally makes his router sing out "demod flavius and fluffdaddy" on a 6 hour repeat

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I ran into some Revcoms yesterday at a popular walking path in my city and was surprised to hear that Chairman Bob endorsed Biden in 2020 lmao. The person I was talking to was going through the normal anti-patriarchy, anti-empire spiel but then followed up with "and the republican fascists are trying to get rid of the democrats!!!" Like, I understand that they're trying to broaden the messaging to attract libs but come on lol.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Gorman Thomas posted:

I ran into some Revcoms yesterday at a popular walking path in my city and was surprised to hear that Chairman Bob endorsed Biden in 2020 lmao. The person I was talking to was going through the normal anti-patriarchy, anti-empire spiel but then followed up with "and the republican fascists are trying to get rid of the democrats!!!" Like, I understand that they're trying to broaden the messaging to attract libs but come on lol.

the perils of the popular front

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

the perils of the popular front

Unfortunately they had to abandon their bullhorn strategy when the acai bowl truck started playing Bossa Nova from a boombox.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

a Loving Dog posted:

thank you woozy

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

if you gaze for long into the BEB, the BEB gazes also into you

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Cookie Cutter posted:

Are there any other sources that make the same claims about the Catiline Conspiracy as Parenti? I'm no expert but I've come across people saying Parenti basically made up his version of events, and I don't want that to be true but couldn't personally find anything to say otherwise.

Most of the historians I've read tend to think that Cicero overplayed the conspiracy for material and political gain, but I can't remember any taking Parenti's line which is essentially that the entire thing was a self-fulfilling prophecy (i.e., Catiline originally had no intention of fomenting revolution but was pushed into it after being pressured into exile by Cicero and other optimates in the Senate). I also haven't seen other historians allege that all the documentary evidence for the conspiracy was fabricated or the work of informants/provocateurs working on Cicero's behalf. But Parenti makes a pretty compelling case for it imo. As with everything in this period of Roman history it's tough to untangle given the scarcity and ideological conformity of primary sources, especially since Cicero's own invectives against Catiline are one of the few sources we have.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

What if Mario was Chinese, he'd be like

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Its really cool and good that a mod moved the old thread to FYAD so that posters can just be chainprobed forever.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Josh Christ posted:

Its really cool and good that a mod moved the old thread to FYAD so that posters can just be chainprobed forever.

it was pretty funny but that wasn't Flavius' intent, it was just to 86 the thread

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Josh Christ posted:

it was moved back.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

also can only chain probe for 2 weeks now

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

a Loving Dog posted:

also can only chain probe for 2 weeks now

Thank you for your service o7

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
u ever think about that the same ppl who celebrated a whole forum getting slandered also get hella pissed about slander turned the other way lol. and the one guy who disagreed went out like litvinenko :thunk:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
also rename this thread to the mod haters thread. let freedom ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Josh Christ posted:

I haven’t been banned or probed in 17 years and now I’m getting probed every day on one of my effort posts in that thread lmao