Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

mila kunis posted:

anyway i'm part of our neighbourhood's tenant organization group that fights landlords and evictions. the deck is completely stacked for landlords in this trash place, someone linked us this vid from an eviction hearing and lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bBPCj03zKE

complete psycho poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lol that they haven't been deleted

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

Lol that they haven't been deleted

:abuela:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Brain Candy posted:

complete psycho poo poo

the government here is planning to/already has make it illegal to share records of eviction hearings and to fine people 25000 dollars if they do it because the adjudicators have gone full mask off and stopped pretending they're there to do anything than rubber stamp whatever landlords want.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

how many pages of moddrama bs do we have to post up as a smokescreen before we post about smashing capitalism, imperialism and racism?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

apropos to nothing posted:

lol this is it for me. idgaf about r word, from the start only complained cause of the arbitrary enforcement of rules which 100% were always meted out against posting enemies and ignored by others, applied to the whole "mods are pedophiles" thing too and basically everything in the history of the website. its totally absurd that words like "oval office" are banned in the joke politics forum on a website where 9/11 set to yakety sax was its most significant contribution to the world. i shant post in cspam again because the mods are idiots who punish people for saying oval office and it may be revealed at a later date that some of them have committed crimes of a sexual nature. i shall stick to the pink forum and laugh at you all assuming that i am not banned for this post given the ruling that it is illegal to laugh at the mods now. please organize people around you and at your workplace and dont post online all day about "leftist" politics because it will rot your brain and you will never change anything or organize anyone.

it's an awful shame and an awful pall on the moderating person that says they're bent on bringing peace and order, but what does that matter? there's more important things to be done out in the wider world, and somehow, your actions in the most inconsequential part of it have led someone who not contributed, but contributed out of a passion and joy for the subject, to pull up their stakes and leave because you're that intolerable even here.

what hope is there for a moderator to do anything other than make important the places they moderate? it's self-defeating, and that's just a start

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

and now, we gather under the name of Team Retard

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003
dethrone the mods and change the CSPAM background image

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

lol

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
"Why don't you use your dialectical reasoning to figure out why some people might be sensitive to being called a pedophile, you dumb gently caress"

lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

mila kunis posted:

some weird poo poo itt

anyway i'm part of our neighbourhood's tenant organization group that fights landlords and evictions. the deck is completely stacked for landlords in this trash place, someone linked us this vid from an eviction hearing and lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bBPCj03zKE

why does it look like he's using the tiktok greenscreen filter

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Finicums Wake posted:

"Why don't you use your dialectical reasoning to figure out why some people might be sensitive to being called a pedophile, you dumb gently caress"

lmao

wow really walking up to the cliff's edge with that probe reason lol

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
see you all on the rhizzone, where you can talk about marxism in peace. my username is radical_dave

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
thesis: "the mods are pedophiles"
antithesis: "the mods arent pedophiles"
synthesis: "Why don't you use your dialectical reasoning to figure out why some people might be sensitive to being called a pedophile, you dumb gently caress"

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

My mod authority is so brittle! but I drink plenty of

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

whiskey patrol posted:

dethrone the mods and change the CSPAM background image

:hmmyes:

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

The Voice of Labor posted:

how many pages of moddrama bs do we have to post up as a smokescreen before we post about smashing capitalism, imperialism and racism?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The source of the problem isn’t gone yet so why should anyone?

You black teen murder celebrating piece of human garbage

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

The source of the problem isn’t gone yet so why should anyone?

You black teen murder celebrating piece of human garbage

Flavius just stop reading this loving thread if you're going to get triggered this easily

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Finicums Wake posted:

lmao

rofl

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

straight up cretins itt

you laugh about the idea that someone who was sexually abused wouldn't want to be called a pedophile and then you act all mad that i completely write off your complaints

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Flavius Aetass posted:

straight up cretins itt

you laugh about the idea that someone who was sexually abused wouldn't want to be called a pedophile and then you act all mad that i completely write off your complaints

how was the thread supposed to infer your meaning there? none of us are familiar with this episode or which mod you're talking about right now. if you weren't so antagonistic and hostile all the time maybe you might be able to level with us like in the xinjiang thread

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 08:32 on May 18, 2021

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Flavius Aetass posted:

straight up cretins itt

lmfao at mod team getting angry for 3 months over this when they could have been transparent and it would have been crushed asap. goon interpersonal skills ftw.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Flavius, now tired of dropping hints, wandering from thread to thread aggressively demanding people piss on him

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
i mean if that genuinely didn't occur to you I take back the cretin part but i just assume people understand how hurtful things like that can be

the r-word thing honestly doesn't even bother me personally, but it's a C-SPAM rule and i agree with the reasons it is

but the pedophile thing makes me pretty angry ngl

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Flavius Aetass posted:

straight up cretins itt

Congenital iodine deficiency syndrome (also known as Cretinism) is a medical condition present at birth marked by impaired physical and mental development, due to insufficient thyroid hormone (hypothyroidism) often caused by insufficient dietary iodine during pregnancy. It is one cause of underactive thyroid function at birth, called congenital hypothyroidism, and also referred to as cretinism
The term cretin was originally used to describe a person affected by this condition, but, as with words such as spastic and lunatic, it underwent pejoration and is now considered derogatory and inappropriate.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Flavius Aetass posted:

straight up cretins itt

are u loving kidding me

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Congenital iodine deficiency syndrome (also known as Cretinism) is a medical condition present at birth marked by impaired physical and mental development, due to insufficient thyroid hormone (hypothyroidism) often caused by insufficient dietary iodine during pregnancy. It is one cause of underactive thyroid function at birth, called congenital hypothyroidism, and also referred to as cretinism
The term cretin was originally used to describe a person affected by this condition, but, as with words such as spastic and lunatic, it underwent pejoration and is now considered derogatory and inappropriate.

huh

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Edit ur post and probe yourself to keep your posting honor flav

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
this is a good example of why it's a good idea to just moderate language when asked to in a social space (especially an organizing space!!), either by an individual or general culture, rather than to immediately stand on principle and start playing devious logic games or whatever. somebody asking you to clap quietly or refrain from using a particular word understands that they're imposing on you and wouldn't do so unless the alternative felt even worse. these conflicts aren't actually about determining which words are innately evil (the idealist perspective), but rather a process of negotiation and contradiction that manifests as an ad hoc consensus about how we talk to each other (the dialectical perspective)

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

Edit ur post and probe yourself to keep your posting honor flav

i think I've only ever seen that term in Calvin and Hobbes but you're right

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Flavius, I lurk a hell of a lot, my post count over 2 accounts since '05 is probably less than 200 total, and I've never been involved in forums drama in my life, but I wanna implore you to please just take a step back and breathe, I see the point you're trying to make but with this behaviour you are driving things further into the ground, if internet things start to affect me personally to this level I just close my screen and go work out or something, leave people to make marxism posts in the marxism thread.

e: ah nvm

Cookie Cutter has issued a correction as of 09:08 on May 18, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

this is a good example of why it's a good idea to just moderate language when asked to in a social space (especially an organizing space!!), either by an individual or general culture, rather than to immediately stand on principle and start playing devious logic games or whatever. somebody asking you to clap quietly or refrain from using a particular word understands that they're imposing on you and wouldn't do so unless the alternative felt even worse. these conflicts aren't actually about determining which words are innately evil (the idealist perspective), but rather a process of negotiation and contradiction that manifests as an ad hoc consensus about how we talk to each other (the dialectical perspective)

Ferrinus posted:

sorry, what does "even-handed" mean here w/r/t saying slurs? will there be times that someone calls someone else the r-world and the even-handed gradenko lets it slide, while the trigger-happy flavius punishes it?

Ferrinus posted:

what matters is moderation policy, not specific mods. that's why i don't personally believe you probating people for the same things is going to be received any better, whereas either you or the hated flavius just being cool and letting people say slurs will go down equally well

so okay am I supposed to probe Flav here for ableism or

EDIT: lmao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

It wasn't an ask lol. On one hand they irrevocably tainted it with cynicism in their handling of it and on the other informed us of how little they think of us. It pwns, I love goons so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

gradenko_2000 posted:

so okay am I supposed to probe Flav here for ableism or

EDIT: lmao

i wouldn't. let me dig a post i made in the last thread up:

Ferrinus posted:

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

calling the r-word a "slur" is stupid and lame move tbh. ableist language completely dominates this forums but for some reason i can insult any moron for being an insane smoothbrain but only this one gets the lofty designation of slur (the worst kind of word you can use ofc)

it's absolutely true that ableism or sexism or w/e as such pervade forums culture and wouldn't really make sense to try to police rigorously. specifically not letting people call each other the r-word or worse is an arbitrary line in the sand drawn to signal a baseline level of inclusive language such that people with mental illnesses or who take care of disabled family members or w/e hopefully feel comfortable enough to post here. there's nothing magical about "retard" such that you start accruing dark side points for saying it but not for saying "idiot", but if there is a prevailing social convention against "retard" and not against "idiot", then demanding to be allowed to say the former regardless of pushback is itself a problem. there doesn't seem to be an equivalent consensus around "bitch", although maybe one will develop in the future, who knows

it's like being really insistent about continuing to say "colored people" even if you're asked to say "people of color" instead. yes, they're basically the same. so why the struggle?

in this case i guess we can sub "cretin" in for "bitch". i definitely have comrades who would get mad at me for even slinging cretin around, and i actually do think there are ideological critiques to be made of even the concepts of "smart" and "stupid" people (as opposed to plans, ideologies, w/e) as such, but finding clever ways to call someone a dumbass is just a part of posting culture here and there's not really call for trying to force it to stop. at the same time i'd expect you to intervene if i went to great lengths to call you developmentally disabled, autistic, afflicted with downs syndrome, whatever, even if none of those phrases are themselves slurs of any sort