Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i have to imagine these are all solvable problems with some time;

in other words glad there are rich nerds who buy this nerd poo poo so that eventually i can get a good one from apple or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
probably. like, in a decade maybe someone will have come up with a material for the screens that doesn't stretch and crease and someone will discover how to make a hinge that doesn't get filled with poo poo if it's in your pocket every day. then apple will buy them and make the only working foldable phones

or something much better will come along that serves the same design goal and these will be weird little historical footnotes

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

sb hermit posted:

one great thing about the pandemic is that I'm not worried about running down the battery for my phone because I'm always indoors

one bad thing about the pandemic is that I have the bad habit of running down my battery with endless youtube videos and now my battery capacity is total crap.

so a removable battery would certainly help extend the life of this phone by at least another year.

how often are you running your battery down that you've absolutely hosed it in the span of a year?? jesus dude

(also you can get batteries replaced for relatively cheap on most phones??)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i imagine the hinge is probably a solved issue at this point; samsung's big problem (lol ok there are many but ykwim) was that they insist on doing an internally folded screen so they need something that can't close fully, leaving gaps on both sides.

versus something like huawei's design, which has an exterior screen at all times:

still a hinge, obviously, but it's less of an issue in terms of downsides

edit: $3425 CAD l allll mao

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 18, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

but then the super soft plastic screen is on the outside where it's going to get destroyed

which is probably why huaweis newest folder has an internal screen like the samsungs

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mediaphage posted:

not surprised

i imagine it might still be worth it for them to do on some level whether as a halo product for comparison or just as a reference standard, but lol.

that’s not consistent with what we see from Google.

* they brought most of the development in-house, including buying hundreds of HTC engineers.
* they made their own SoC. that is very expensive, and isn’t cost effective unless you sell many millions.
* they were trying differentiating features that weren’t available to other OEMs
* they were charging premium phone prices on what was mostly midrange hardware

this is not how you make a reference product. google was trying to play in the big leagues. maybe they still are. they haven’t gotten any traction, but we’ll know they gave up when they ax a big chunk of their engineering team

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

repiv posted:

but then the super soft plastic screen is on the outside where it's going to get destroyed

which is probably why huaweis newest folder has an internal screen like the samsungs

i had that in my original post but edited it out because i frankly wasn't sure which phone came first. either way i expect the scratches / plastic is a solvable issue eventually

The Management posted:

that’s not consistent with what we see from Google.

* they brought most of the development in-house, including buying hundreds of HTC engineers.
* they made their own SoC. that is very expensive, and isn’t cost effective unless you sell many millions.
* they were trying differentiating features that weren’t available to other OEMs
* they were charging premium phone prices on what was mostly midrange hardware

this is not how you make a reference product. google was trying to play in the big leagues. maybe they still are. they haven’t gotten any traction, but we’ll know they gave up when they ax a big chunk of their engineering team

by reference i mostly meant as an example of what one could make rather than say a hardware standard that all could follow. i have to assume that google isn't developing their own soc strictly for use in the pixel line alone? i mean it may be a flop like everything that isn't ad sales but i imagine they want to do what apple does and start putting versions into everything

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

either way i expect the scratches / plastic is a solvable issue eventually

a ductile and also scratch resistant transparent material?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eventually is doing some heavy lifting

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's okay, once we figure it out we'll send scotty back in time with the secrets of transparent aluminium

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

by eventually i mean something that is good enough. not completely scratch proof.

like, they’re selling these now in small numbers despite the cost. with the admittedly large assumption that they can bring those costs down over time there will definitely be people who are fine with the compromises.

imo there will probably be an ok if pricey option on the market in maybe five years or something.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Jabor posted:

it's okay, once we figure it out we'll send scotty back in time with the secrets of transparent aluminium

sapphire has a fair bit of aluminum by weight IIRC so we kind of already have it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mediaphage posted:

i imagine the hinge is probably a solved issue at this point; samsung's big problem (lol ok there are many but ykwim) was that they insist on doing an internally folded screen so they need something that can't close fully, leaving gaps on both sides.

versus something like huawei's design, which has an exterior screen at all times:

still a hinge, obviously, but it's less of an issue in terms of downsides

edit: $3425 CAD l allll mao

can;t wait to backtalk on my huawei whatever the gently caress it is called

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

DuckConference posted:

sapphire has a fair bit of aluminum by weight IIRC so we kind of already have it

oh word?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

anyways the hinge issue is already solved: i'm never buying that trash

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mediaphage posted:

by eventually i mean something that is good enough. not completely scratch proof.

like, they’re selling these now in small numbers despite the cost. with the admittedly large assumption that they can bring those costs down over time there will definitely be people who are fine with the compromises.

imo there will probably be an ok if pricey option on the market in maybe five years or something.

not least a huge screen will be compelling enough to some people that a yearly screen protector replacement program doesn't seem outside the question as a solution.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
the ideal foldable screen form factor is two cylindrical battery cells on opposite sides of a rollable screen :jewish:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the ideal foldable form factor is one where you can crumple it up and throw it in the trash

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFFrahd05OM

an hour in and still no anroid

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
3 beillion active anroid devices

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vagrancy posted:

how many are part of botnets

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
not watching it, what did they announce that was in any way interesting?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

they had some computers talk to each other. one was a paper plane

so no

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Vagrancy posted:

each of them running two javas

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
more like google j/o

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

infernal machines posted:

samsung looks at the surface duo and says "hold my beer"

you know what's better than one massive point of failure?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

so reading information on a wavy phone takes two hands and it can’t be held steady because it is flexible, like a newspaper?

why does anyone want that ?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Partycat posted:

so reading information on a wavy phone takes two hands and it can’t be held steady because it is flexible, like a newspaper?

why does anyone want that ?

what are you talking about

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

crepeface posted:

you know what's better than one massive point of failure?

i have a name you know

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

mediaphage posted:

what are you talking about

Whatever the samsung .... whatever is in the photo

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I mean, it's still rigid

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think their point is there are hinges facing in opposite directions

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
even if the hinges were super loose, after a week in the pocket, they would pick up enough lint and dust to be sticky enough to not collapse closed while held

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think their point is there are hinges facing in opposite directions

right but it's not like a floppy sheet of paper

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think they're assuming unless you hold it with two hands one side will droop

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think they're assuming unless you hold it with two hands one side will droop

dangerous thing assumptions

anyway thats incorrect

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

otoh, it's a samsung product

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hold with both hands please

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

yeah I based it on the picture and was trying to figure why anyone would want their phone to be wavy on purpose.

I guess I could have read the manual, probably says to keep your hands at 10 and 2 when operating the phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

otoh, it's a samsung product

i mean this is the biggest reason not to buy it ofc

Partycat posted:

yeah I based it on the picture and was trying to figure why anyone would want their phone to be wavy on purpose.

I guess I could have read the manual, probably says to keep your hands at 10 and 2 when operating the phone

:rolleyes: