Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah fortunately no one cares if you spend most of the day on your phone or whatever

Sweet! Honestly that sounds like a good deal to me. Gettin' paid to post

I'm doing it for free like a sucker!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

therattle posted:

I don't think that people necessarily have to work for income (and derive self-worth from that, or, worse, from the level of income they get), but they have to do something useful/worthwhile with at least some of their time.

Adjusting to being somewhat of a free-agent does take time if you've worked for years in environments with targets, goals and so on.

I know when I quit my Proper Job TM and moved abroad, the first few weeks were sorting out stuff like electricity, internet and so on, but then I had about 3 weeks of feeling like I was 'on holiday' but after another few weeks I started to feel very stressed that it had got to sundown and I hadn't 'achieved' anything (recognizable as achievement in my corporate-mind set). I had to pretend to be a company, define various activities as 'work' and keeping a time sheet to cover about 30 hours a week. I even did numpty corporate stuff like 'have an away day' (work on the sofa instead of in my office), wear corporatey clothes during my working hours even though noone was looking at me!

I'd say it took me a year to adjust to not having to do that and to become much more self-directed.
Now I've been doing that for 14 years.

I just started a part-time job in April and it's supposed to be 1.5 days a week, but there was such a backlog plus my learning curve of accounting packages, I had to get on top of things so am way ahead of my hours now.

I've always been a 'binge worker' if I get the wind in my sails, and trying to rein myself in when there's work I could usefully be doing and I might have nothing better to do or my brain is burning to get on with solving a problem, is quite tough. Eg right now, there's a problem to solve in the accounts going back to last December (which had I stuck to 10 h a week we would not be aware of until maybe December this year!) and I just want to get on with it but my boss wants me to to start clawing back the hours (there's no 'overtime' or 'lieu time' - the charity is suffering financially from the covid hit like many other places) and she doesn't want me 'donating' hours because it gives the trustees unrealistic expectations of what can be done in the time.

I'm itching to check my work email right now but don't want to get sucked down a rabbit hole!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I have a long and distinguished career in slacking off at work. My first office job in 2008 involved data entry, and there wasn't enough of it, and my computer wasn't Internet connected, so what I did was - I kid you not - printed off pages of something awful forum threads and took them into work to read them

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

How many people in this thread right now are getting paid to post? I assumed it was most of us.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
All the evidence is that the more people see of him, the more they dislike him and his team's trying to get a documentary made about him??

I think they'd honestly do better portraying him as a remote but competent administrator: he always looks so awkward when he's trying to come across as a normal person.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

crispix posted:

ugughgguguguggh sorry marc rashfords who i, keir stawbur, am talking to on the tuluphone right now but i have to go because i am going to go on my luptup-cumputer to sponsor some wuking class brutush donkeys ururughrururugh i definitely don't spend half my day in a cupboard drinking whiskey from a bottle and eating wut uggs from a sack urururururuurugh :manning:

See, how hard would it be to get Marcus Rashford into the party, into a seat and in charge.

Never going to happen, but we can dream.

Necrothatcher posted:

How many people in this thread right now are getting paid to post? I assumed it was most of us.

I have a test running on 2/3 of the window, but I'm just watching the mice while the computer does its thing. So here I am!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Necrothatcher posted:

Excuse me, I am working very hard for as much as, ooh, 3 to 4 hours a day?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^same, check my post count

Pistol_Pete posted:

All the evidence is that the more people see of him, the more they dislike him and his team's trying to get a documentary made about him??

I think they'd honestly do better portraying him as a remote but competent administrator: he always looks so awkward when he's trying to come across as a normal person.
Personally I'd like to see the real Kieth. Not the """"real"""" Kieth they keep trying to put across, but the ruthless, arrogant oval office who cut-throated his way up to DPP & then LOTO despite everyone hating him on a personal level. I actually think that'd be better for his image than a bag of wet eggs.

e: I am aware that brown-nosing is also a path to DPP & LOTO, but people have to actually kinda like you for that & by all accounts they don't

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Necrothatcher posted:

I am! I can't even bring myself to care about my new job. I've been debating (my wife says "do it!" and I say "no!") chucking it in and using my redundancy money to train for something new/avoid having a job as long as possible. Then a fortnight ago all our drains collapsed and, well, I wish I'd spent that loving money somewhere else already.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I have a long and distinguished career in slacking off at work. My first office job in 2008 involved data entry, and there wasn't enough of it, and my computer wasn't Internet connected, so what I did was - I kid you not - printed off pages of something awful forum threads and took them into work to read them

That is some pro analog posting

Necrothatcher posted:

looooooong term unemployed here

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I've been working from home for 12 months now and my guilty confession is that most of my job can pretty much be done in an hour. The rest of time is spent watching movies and dipping into the occasional meeting.

I really hope this gravy train can last a little longer.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It's funny how even in the communist thread it's still "guilty"

Not having a go, I'd be exactly the same, but just shows how deeply the mindset penetrates

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Nothing worse than a job with not enough to do. Had a job in electronic sales in the 1980s. I was employed for the letters after my name to sign off on the quality control certificates. A monkey could have done it. Shoving an LED in whatever the gadget was (it was over 30 years ago, I don't remember) to check the nanometers, or a fuse in whatever to see what made it blow (again, can't remember the ins and outs now but 36 years ago I was a fuses expert).

It was also a 'face time' job where you were expected to work late (even though there was nothing to do) and sticking to your 9-530 hours made you a slacker.
It was also a job where you were expected to screw the customers. We had a delivery disaster (involving pirates in the South China Seas) which would have put a production line for one of our customers on stop for 6 months so I helped their design engineers design in a different LED (it was just an indicator light!) that would work in the circuits without overheating them yadda yadda AND was available from other suppliers. Oh did I get my head kicked in for that. No thought for the several hundred people who would have been out of work for 6 months (in a town where our customer was the main employer). The fact that the customer was now willing to trust our company to work with them and not screw them over and probably lead to more business or more willingness to pay premium prices did not seem to occur to our wide-boy, ducking, diving, bobbing and weaving boss.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

I'm reminded a bit of the various Family Party types who are like "we cannot teach children about sex" "okay so teens will have sex without precautions and require abortions?" "no we're also against that" "so they'll be forced to have kids that require state support?" "no we're also against that" "so you want a return to the 'mother and baby homes' with thousands dead?" where the only obvious conclusion is that they're angry that people are not being sufficiently punished for their existence.

And it's tempting, almost encouraged even, to think that this was something that came out of medieval Catholicism, or back to the Bronze Age even, but there's a counter argument that even this in its modern shouty form is about the same age as one of the go-to examples of postmodern consumer capitalism.

This relates to the ought-is thing I'm always banging on about. We look at the situation and the evidence shows that abortions for all, sex education and state support produce the best outcomes, our "ought" being that kids should have knowledge about sex, practice it safely if they do, and avoid unwanted pregnancy.

Their "ought" stops much further up the line, at "kids should not know about or have sex", so any evidence about the consequences of this is irrelevant to them. See also, drug harm reduction (our ought) vs "people shouldn't take drugs, and if they do they should be punished" (the ought of war-on-drugs fans)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Barry Foster posted:

It's funny how even in the communist thread it's still "guilty"

Not having a go, I'd be exactly the same, but just shows how deeply the mindset penetrates

Oh its more a empathic guilt because I know personally other people who are pulling 50-60 hour weeks for less pay and more stress.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

We can't opt out of our social conditioning, it's perfectly normal to feel guilty about slacking off, all we can do is acknowledge that it's irrational

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Companies pay you as little as they can get away with.

It is your duty to do as little as you can get away with in turn.

haakman
May 5, 2011
I currently spend all day running SQL queries on hundreds of millions of rows of data.

Or, in other words... I hit f5 three times a day then paint minis for the rest of it.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Blinks77 posted:

Companies pay you as little as they can get away with.

It is your duty to do as little as you can get away with in turn and also steal everything that isn't nailed down.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm self-employed/freelance. I go from project to project. When I am on a project (brief, intense, pressured) I work hard. Sometimes really hard. When I am not on a project, I don't, and feel just fine about it, because I know that when I need to work, I will. This high-intensity/low-intensity cycle works really well for me. I am not a 9-5 grafter.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

The great thing about making fudge from home is that fudge doesn’t give a poo poo when it’s made.

I’ve boiled sugar at 2am before, and it turned out great.

This is why I feel fine still being in bed loving around on here after it’s gone noon.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Barry Foster posted:

That is some pro analog posting

My slacking got more sophisticated later on in that same job. Eventually my computer was Internet connected, but everyone could see my screen anyway.

So, I built a fake webpage on my very own website, that looked exactly like a screen in the Oracle procurement system (the main focus of my job), and bastardised some guestbook code to build a rudimentary chatroom hidden inside it.

Then I chatted endlessly to my girlfriend without anyone knowing I wasn't doing any work

To this day it remains my slacking magnum opus

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

:facepalm:

You sent me down the rabbit hole and i ended up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BuAXfVwpkg&list=RDMM&start_radio=1 :sun:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Titles being considered:

Dancing with the Starmer.

Kiethwatch

The Bill

Yes, Prime Minister.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I think part of the bad feeling, at least for me, is a fear that suddenly someone important will one day ask, 'hey, do wtf do you actually do all day?' and getting found out. Even though I achieve everything asked of me, and all my quarterly reviews etc are all good.

My MO has always been : do the work you have to, then tell boss you've finished (maybe leave it an hour or two if you want). If your boss doesn't give you anything else to do, then that's on them.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

My slacking got more sophisticated later on in that same job. Eventually my computer was Internet connected, but everyone could see my screen anyway.

So, I built a fake webpage on my very own website, that looked exactly like a screen in the Oracle procurement system (the main focus of my job), and bastardised some guestbook code to build a rudimentary chatroom hidden inside it.

Then I chatted endlessly to my girlfriend without anyone knowing I wasn't doing any work

To this day it remains my slacking magnum opus

That's extremely impressive.

This is a very good article and well worth reading.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/may/18/a-jewish-case-for-palestinian-refugee-return

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

I think part of the bad feeling, at least for me, is a fear that suddenly someone important will one day ask, 'hey, do wtf do you actually do all day?' and getting found out. Even though I achieve everything asked of me, and all my quarterly reviews etc are all good.

My MO has always been : do the work you have to, then tell boss you've finished (maybe leave it an hour or two if you want). If your boss doesn't give you anything else to do, then that's on them.

Yeah I get this - that one day someone will ask me to account for myself. I gather this isn’t very common unless you’re making a headache for someone though.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I've got one of those jobs that an AI could probably do passably now. Pretty sure that they day will come soon where someone will notice I do gently caress all and am easily replaced.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

This relates to the ought-is thing I'm always banging on about. We look at the situation and the evidence shows that abortions for all, sex education and state support produce the best outcomes, our "ought" being that kids should have knowledge about sex, practice it safely if they do, and avoid unwanted pregnancy.

Their "ought" stops much further up the line, at "kids should not know about or have sex", so any evidence about the consequences of this is irrelevant to them. See also, drug harm reduction (our ought) vs "people shouldn't take drugs, and if they do they should be punished" (the ought of war-on-drugs fans)
I agree. I'm not sure whether to be comforted or disturbed that a lot of this concrete moralism just appeared as a sea change at roughly the same time that a chunk of society decided that actually there's no such thing as society and FYGM and then pretended that it's just how things were since things began (5781 years ago according to the DUP now).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

News just gets worse

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0517/1222122-ice-cream-99-summer-shortage/

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

StarkingBarfish posted:

After clocking off in the nightclub I worked at in Edinburgh we used to occasionally go to the penny black pub round the back of the St. James' center. Opened at 5am. We'd end up going home at about 9am as everyone was commuting into work. It was a very unsettling experience to be half cut surrounded by suits.
I have a very fond memory of coming back from a rave in London with some friends at about 6–7am; early enough that the tube was not absolutely crushed but late enough to be fairly busy with early starters all in their own personal misery bubbles staring firmly at the floor (this being before smartphones). One of my friends still had a leftover thing of bubble mix and starting blowing bubbles in the carriage, and every single fucker looked up and smiled.

Bubbles are extremely powerful for awakening people’s inner child.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Necrothatcher posted:

I have never worked a job that didn't have SA blocked. Though there was one where I did have access to a client VPN and their network was unrestricted so could poo poo post away. That was before my SA days though, I'd just sit on MSN with pals entertaining me through most of a night shift.

I really want a job so I can get paid to do nothing instead of doing it for free

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

SA is not blocked on my work laptop but a bunch of other stuff is, even when I'm wfh and not on the VPN somehow (I don't understand how the internet works.)

Occasionally something I'd been browsing previously will have been added to the list which makes me very paranoid, but I don't think there's any policy of chasing people up on their internet history unless it's deeply dodgy.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

SA isn't blocked for me even though I have to go through 2 different VPNs for companies which take security seriously, but then again for the above reason I just use my other computer for it, perks of working from home and all that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Always phone post at work. I don't use the office PC or my WFH laptop for anything other than work. It's not worth the grief if some HR busybody decides to check people's history.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Camrath posted:

The great thing about making fudge from home is that fudge doesn’t give a poo poo when it’s made.

I’ve boiled sugar at 2am before, and it turned out great.

This is why I feel fine still being in bed loving around on here after it’s gone noon.

I'll take a bag of mandrake fudge, please

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I have a spreadsheet of albums I want to listen to which I tried to email myself on my new work laptop, and the email got blocked because it picked up that the attachment contained profanities including 'gently caress' and 'oval office' (yeah there's some grindcore on there, why do you ask?). That made me pretty paranoid for a few days, but Tbh given that IT have taken nearly three weeks and counting to install Visio on my laptop, they don't seem that on top of things.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I'm reminded a bit of the various Family Party types who are like "we cannot teach children about sex" "okay so teens will have sex without precautions and require abortions?" "no we're also against that" "so they'll be forced to have kids that require state support?" "no we're also against that" "so you want a return to the 'mother and baby homes' with thousands dead?" where the only obvious conclusion is that they're angry that people are not being sufficiently punished for their existence.
It reminds me of the 'well they should just not do that' mentality in right wingers.

Like when they talk about teenagers having sex with each other and say they shouldn't. And you say "right, but the fact is they are currently doing it, so what can we do to solve the problem that is happening," and all they can do is fold their arms, look twice as smug and repeat that they shouldn't.

Same thing with homelessness (they should just stop drinking and get jobs), entrenched poverty (if they psychotically dedicated their entire existence to the worship of moloch they too could afford to eat real food) and a bunch of other things. The pattern boils down to "there is a problem" / "they should just not have that problem" / "yes but there are nevertheless people with that problem" / "well they shouldn't"

It's a simple answer to a complex issue that somehow completely avoids any solution that requires more than one step of reasoning.

Borrovan posted:

So tempted rn to lay out my thesis on MMOs as an applied example of absurdism. We grind so that we can level up, and we level up so that we are better at grinding. The meaning is in the journey, not the destination.
You should play Destiny 2, it's literally now just number go up game. Your light level makes you more powerful, and you can only increase it by the last 10 points (which are on a massive exponential curve) by doing endgame activities. Every season the cap goes up by 10 (it used to be 50 but you could get the first 40 in about 3 days so it was pointless).

The reward for doing hard activities is that you get gear that raises your power level, which makes hard content easier, which lets you do more hard activities, which... raises your power level. Literally the more powerful you are the easier the hard content gets.

I feel like there's a metaphor here for capitalism.

Borrovan posted:

We can't opt out of our social conditioning, it's perfectly normal to feel guilty about slacking off, all we can do is acknowledge that it's irrational
I once had a counsellor explain to me that guilt at not working was a 'working class conceit' and I should just enjoy my idle time.

I have never felt more like a scientologist than I did in that moment.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

stev posted:

Always phone post at work. I don't use the office PC or my WFH laptop for anything other than work. It's not worth the grief if some HR busybody decides to check people's history.

I used to work in a call centre for a well known High Street store and mobiles had to be turned off. I had an endless (well, more than 2.5 hours each way) commute so I'd just catch up on a days worth of posts on the bus home. Which, handy I had so much time because poo poo brah, UKMT circa 2015 took a long time to catch up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

keep punching joe posted:

Oh its more a empathic guilt because I know personally other people who are pulling 50-60 hour weeks for less pay and more stress.

Yeah. My pay's not great but it's more than enough for me and expenses, and I'm enjoying working from home. As long as I'm around to answer the phones and keep an eye on the email no-one's on my back, and 90% of my "work" is updating Slack for clients so I'm just sitting here lazing around the internet.

I am so loving lucky to be getting away with this.