Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
last time i accidentally got nine lives in a curse room i somehow died on the spikes inside the room and managed to exit the room successfully afterwards. don't reallly know what happened there, but worth a shot next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

mods are good, imo

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Profanity posted:

Keep your eye out for this when it updates for Repentance.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1933285222

Did exactly that in Antibirth+

ok awesome yes thank you

Sharkitten posted:

mods are good, imo

I respect the play style purists
I am a megamod gluttonslut

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Same yeah. Aside from the sections I'm utterly sick of (The Mines chase sequence) and external descriptions and some graphical stuff, I'm saving the gameplay stuff for when I've 100%ed the game. I can understand why people would want to hold off on mods or just aren't interested in them. Though for me, they definitely breathe a lot more life into this game. Being able to customize several aspects of the game for personal use is sweet.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Holy crap, the converter only needs one soul heart now?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Ariong posted:

Holy crap, the converter only needs one soul heart now?

And it makes Blue Baby (with Birthright, mind you) and Tainted Bethany to be extremely viable. Former can make one into two, latter just gains charges with no cost.

Tainted Judas also benefits but it's more "Infinite Necronomicon" than immortality or infinite item use.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

admission: Stargazer blows Journey From A Jar To The Sky out of the water, though the difference is a S vs A+ situation. I want both.

Profanity posted:

Keep your eye out for this when it updates for Repentance.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1933285222

Did exactly that in Antibirth+

Thank you, I will. I think with this I'd set Stargazer to be the Ultra Secret Room theme.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

widespread posted:

Tainted Judas also benefits but it's more "Infinite Necronomicon" than immortality or infinite item use.

That one's actually pretty big, because in Repentance, that counts as bomb damage now. Meaning Tainted Judas can utterly shred any armored boss (And everything else in the game) with complete ease.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
just did tainted forgotten dark path + mega satan and thankfullythe delirium portal spawned. turned out that chocolate milk + bone is pretty good with max tear rate

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Which mod is the good music one? There are so many!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Turns out Spindown Dice can bypass a lot of the unlock process for The Forgotten. Assuming you're lucky enough to find it and the item that turns into Mom's Shovel. If you use it on Mucormycosis, you'll get the full version of Mom's Shovel, and at that point just mosey on over to the Dark Room at your own pace.

Or bank on Metronome having the slim chance of activating Death's Certificate (works even if you don't have that unlocked.) and pick up Mom's Shovel from there.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Black August posted:

admission: Stargazer blows Journey From A Jar To The Sky out of the water, though the difference is a S vs A+ situation. I want both.

Back during AB+ I edited a music mod to make Journey From A Jar the music for The Void and it was surprisingly fantastic for that, it felt appropriately dramatic. Curious to see what Mudeth makes for that floor + Delirium.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

flatluigi posted:

last time i accidentally got nine lives in a curse room i somehow died on the spikes inside the room and managed to exit the room successfully afterwards. don't reallly know what happened there, but worth a shot next time
When you die you respawn in the last room you were in, so rushing through the spiked door makes you die outside and respawn back in the curse room.

You can take damage from the door without going through it which will put you back in the room you were last in, i.e outside the curse room.

If you're full on health and theres hearts on the floor in the curse room you can tap the door, grab a heart and leave the room while still in an invincible state to avoid losing health but you need to be pretty quick.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Holy poo poo, Tainted Judas is so fun. :magical:

It's so satisfying dashing through a line of enemies or bullets, then going to town on everything else afterwards. Car Battery or anything that helps him Dark Arts more is just so so good.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm starting to think that the mega satan void portal doesn't actually exist

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Spindown Die is an absolute gamechanger for breaking Greed mode over your knee, especially with the item descriptions mod letting you know what's down the line. You can get exactly what you want instead of just constantly rerolling and hoping for the best. Breakfast only takes 7 spindowns to turn into A Dollar so you don't even need the usual blank card+2 of diamonds. I think it'd totally be possible to use Spindown with Diplopia and Decap Attack to genuinely put together a run where you get literally every single item in the game and boy I hope I get to do that some day.

Just don't do what I did and pop a Soul of Jacob and Esau like I did - the rear end in a top hat ruined my careful gamebreaking and had effects that'd crash the game, and not only that but he spawned with both curse of the tower and pyromaniac so I had absolutely no way of killing him. I thought that rune only lasted a single room but he lasted forever, even through an R Key. It would've been the funniest possible way to lose this broken run though, I must admit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcFncapEImk

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
Are there any mods that make Greedier mode actually fun?

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
Tainted Lazarus sucks so god drat much. I was 4 seconds short for boss rush after like 2 hours of trying, made it to Hush instead, got him to like 10% HP and then took like 8 consecutive hits so I had to flip, then got down to 1 HP a second time and said gently caress it and hit the Plan C I was going to use for Delerium. I think he's easily harder than any other character and also the gimmick isn't fun and all my runs take for-loving-ever. The run before that was a Tainted Eve that went Bossrush > Hush > Dark Room > Mega Satan > Delerium which is basically the best thing ever, so I guess it's fair, but drat I am going to struggle to finish T. Lazarus' note.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

sparksbloom posted:

Are there any mods that make Greedier mode actually fun?

Just play as Tainted Maggie or Judas, they're practically made for it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You get used to greedier eventually (basement is still stupid and you can just get spawns that end your run). Do force angel rooms no matter what though.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You can only keep one version of a character. Who do you pick? I'd go Isaac, Tainted Maggy, Cain, Tainted Judas, Tainted ???, Tainted Eve, Tainted Samson, Azazel, Lazarus, Eden, Tainted Lost, Lilith, Tainted Keeper, Apollyon, The Forgotten, and Tainted Jacob. The only real toss up for me is Bethany, since both versions are great.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

Just play as Tainted Maggie or Judas, they're practically made for it.

Gotta get unlocks for all the characters though. Maybe just a mod that guarantees you get a DPS upgrade on the first floor?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

potaties posted:

Tainted Lazarus sucks so god drat much. I was 4 seconds short for boss rush after like 2 hours of trying, made it to Hush instead, got him to like 10% HP and then took like 8 consecutive hits so I had to flip, then got down to 1 HP a second time and said gently caress it and hit the Plan C I was going to use for Delerium. I think he's easily harder than any other character and also the gimmick isn't fun and all my runs take for-loving-ever. The run before that was a Tainted Eve that went Bossrush > Hush > Dark Room > Mega Satan > Delerium which is basically the best thing ever, so I guess it's fair, but drat I am going to struggle to finish T. Lazarus' note.
Theyre going to buff him at some point--what jve read is when you pick up an item itll add a random one from the same pool to the other. So might be best to put him on hold till that happens.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

potaties posted:

On the plus(?) side, the wiki says Delirium's death animation is so long that Plan C doesn't work against it without an in-room revival, so using it on Hush was the right call.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

No Wave posted:

You get used to greedier eventually (basement is still stupid and you can just get spawns that end your run). Do force angel rooms no matter what though.

Yeah the main problem with greedier is that basement is way overtuned. Once you are past that its a lot more manageable

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Kawalimus posted:

Theyre going to buff him at some point--what jve read is when you pick up an item itll add a random one from the same pool to the other. So might be best to put him on hold till that happens.

This is almost assuredly the right call, his unlocks aren't even that good. I still have a lot to do with the other characters anyway.

pumpinglemma posted:

On the plus(?) side, the wiki says Delirium's death animation is so long that Plan C doesn't work against it without an in-room revival, so using it on Hush was the right call.

drat, that's actually really cathartic. Though what's funny is, after Hush died, I Flipped into the half that didn't die because the room cleared, so I got to do one room of the Void before flipping over to the Plan C half again that was already dead which ended the run. With Delirium it probably wouldn't have flipped in time anyway.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Took down Mother as T. Lost. Mom's Knife and Glowing Hourglass carried that run entirely.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The hardest achievement in this game will be getting battery bum to pay out 5 times. I think I've got it twice and just did a run where I paid him literally about 150 cents and it didn't pay anything. What the hell!

Got a very close shave of a Tainted Eden true ending victory on that same game to close out the True Ending path. Seemed pretty comfortable but of course my first hit on the Beast fight gave shard of loving glass. But my very last heart was Mom's Knife and I had stopped bleeding at that point, and was able to finish it off. Whew!

One neat thing, was that when I got a Mom's Knife build in the game, my next build's active item was Blue Hourglass. So if I got hit I could just redo it. And every subsequent reroll was the exact same--so I was able to get all the way to the Beast fight without having to change!

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 18, 2021

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Reminds me of how my last achievement in Afterbirth+ was always something like sleep in a bed 10 times or play the shell game a bunch.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The bed one was my last AB+ achievement also lol

or one of them anyway. I specifically remember restarting until I got the room right next to me at the beginning.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Black August posted:

You can only keep one version of a character. Who do you pick? I'd go Isaac, Tainted Maggy, Cain, Tainted Judas, Tainted ???, Tainted Eve, Tainted Samson, Azazel, Lazarus, Eden, Tainted Lost, Lilith, Tainted Keeper, Apollyon, The Forgotten, and Tainted Jacob. The only real toss up for me is Bethany, since both versions are great.

I think that'd be about it for me too. Isaac was a pretty tough call since both versions are very fun, but might as well have a more vanilla character in such conditions.

I wasn't expecting to like Tainted Lost as much as I did. Yeah no Holy Mantle is pretty frustrating, but Tainted Lost's mission statement basically being "become the biggest unstoppable snowball you can" lead to a ton of fun runs (most of which ended pretty tragically) It's amazing how much an actual useless item filter made him more fun, and my god the normal Lost should have had that mechanic in the first place. It probably fits in with the original mission statement The Lost was originally supposed to be while actually giving you viable tradeoffs for his weaknesses.

Hell a bunch of other characters would probably be pretty fun with it too (though it'd be less of a priority since The Lost easily has the most amount of items that do jack poo poo for him.) Maybe a mod might implement such a thing someday.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm surprised there isn't a custom game mode difficulty mod yet. Pick if the shot speed is faster, if resources are starved and how badly, apply universals like item quality always being Tainted Lost level, stuff like that.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
Is there a mod that combines all the characters on one post-it, or allows the random button to pick between OG and tainted characters? I just want a random character button for ALL characters.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I loving hate boss armor so much

I hope the mod to tweak it gets updated soon

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 19, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Blood Puppy is my new least favourite use of boss armor. What a tedious item.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Three Apollyon runs tonight trying to get dad's note. First one ends when I forget to take the fool with me into the mom fight. Whatever, I'll just do it again. Second one, I get a crawl space on Depths II that leads to a developer room, and traps you with a stairs to the next level, so I use my fool card to get out. I see 8 more cards bombing everything on the level and buying booster pack from the store, but none of them can teleport.

Third run, I run into a crawl space again on Depths II and stupidly think THIS ONE has to be the black market, but get trapped in another development room.

I have the rest of Apollyon's marks done so there's no reason for me to keep going on any of those runs.

Is there a mod out there to spawn a fool card when you kill mom cause this is the most annoying part of the game for me now.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think Blood Puppy is my new least favourite use of boss armor. What a tedious item.

One bomb tames the blood puppy, but it's definitely a grade A curse room item. Very powerful and can get even stronger + drop red hearts, but also extremely dangerous if you don't have the ability to evade/tame it

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The boss armor for Blood Puppy is mainly there so it doesn't get killed by accident yeah. (Shame Dark Esau doesn't get this.) A fully leveled Blood Puppy can destroy everything, though yeah depending on the run you'll either want to keep it at level 1 or just let it stay vicious. Flight is really good so you can evade the blood puppy more easily. Its charge can cause it to get "caught" on bosses, which just rapidly shreds their HP bar.

What the hell is Tainted Bethany!? Dear god it was just a run of chaos and death. :catstare: Unfortunately even with all my power, Delirium took me down from 12 HP down to 3 due to all the telefragging. Great boss.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems pretty powerful but "keeping it at level one" means fighting the same boring, extremely tanky enemy dozens of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Moon Monster posted:

Reminds me of how my last achievement in Afterbirth+ was always something like sleep in a bed 10 times or play the shell game a bunch.

My last one was baby bender because gently caress me for knowing how the game works lol