Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Big Taint posted:

Especially if you can get the box in the trash without anyone noticing…

I did some TOOLS today.

Got a kit to convert the M12 cutoff tool to use the HF 3/8” bandsaw head. It’s badass.

Then I did this:

Oops?

Seems…dangerous.

Now it should make sense. I made a ghetto portable planishing hammer for smoothing welds. I can hold a dolly with one hand and the hammer in the other and control it with the foot pedal. Sort of like TIG but hammer.

Holy poo poo. That's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

OMGVBFLOL posted:

there's "afford" as used by people who think having a mortgage is "financial stress", and there's "afford" as used by people choosing between meds and rent

e: the latter are probably not posting in the tools thread in the car forum on a dead gay comedy forum tho

Have you met American millennials?

PitViper posted:

I just look up how much it would cost to fix at a shop. Then add up the parts and any special tools I don't already have that I'd need. As long as parts + tools is less than the shop, I'm coming out ahead.

I’m pretty much the same, though I’m getting a lot more daring with what I’ll attempt.

I liken it to the learning curve when we bought our house. The first month we paid people to measure and install blinds; less than three years later I replumbed a building and gutted the bathroom so I could move the shower.

At this point I’m just about willing to take on any non-fabrication automotive project so long as I can get the right tools to do it. Since I have a garage and multiple spare vehicles I can just swipe a card and wait for the thing I need to arrive.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Big Taint posted:

Especially if you can get the box in the trash without anyone noticing…

I did some TOOLS today.

Got a kit to convert the M12 cutoff tool to use the HF 3/8” bandsaw head. It’s badass.

Then I did this:

Oops?

Seems…dangerous.

Now it should make sense. I made a ghetto portable planishing hammer for smoothing welds. I can hold a dolly with one hand and the hammer in the other and control it with the foot pedal. Sort of like TIG but hammer.

Goddamned pro level post right there.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Metal cutting talk, I use an old milwaukee abrasive cut off saw for almost everything. Its slow on anything thick and gets it really hot but it works and I have it. I've been looking at auctions for about a year trying to get a horizontal metal band saw with the coolant system and have been seeing them go around $400-1000 depending on size.

The best way to look at tool purchases is what would it cost to pay someone else and if you like learning how to do things you always come out ahead if its something you would do more than once.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Taint, you made a portable pneumatic automatic hammer?

That is well cool.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

SpeedFreek posted:

Metal cutting talk, I use an old milwaukee abrasive cut off saw for almost everything. Its slow on anything thick and gets it really hot but it works and I have it. I've been looking at auctions for about a year trying to get a horizontal metal band saw with the coolant system and have been seeing them go around $400-1000 depending on size.

The best way to look at tool purchases is what would it cost to pay someone else and if you like learning how to do things you always come out ahead if its something you would do more than once.
This is basically where I'm at on tools, yeah. Which is why I'm looking at $~600 worth of portable band saw and a table to mount it now :v:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If I want a decent set of sockets what's the brand to get? Would a Gear Wrench set be the way to go or is there a better option? I'm tired of mine slipping or not gripping quite as much as I'd like.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Presumably you want 6 point, then.

I’ve had good luck with Tekton. I’ve heard their warranty is top notch but I’ve never had to use it. Their website has 10% rewards and free shipping.

https://www.tekton.com/hand-drive-sockets/6-point-sockets

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've had Tektons impacts for 7 years now with no issues.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

StormDrain posted:

I want to paint the springs from my hood hinges, and really do it right by taking the spring off and painting it stretched. Any suggestions to either buy or make a tool for this?

I was thinking I can just copy this dudes patent.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20150190913

https://youtu.be/-BNJTHcz_pY

You don’t need to make or buy a tool for this. Those springs are not like suspension springs and aren’t going to kill you.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Have any of you heard of Ares Tool? A friend of mine was asking me about them.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Advent Horizon posted:

Presumably you want 6 point, then.

I’ve had good luck with Tekton. I’ve heard their warranty is top notch but I’ve never had to use it. Their website has 10% rewards and free shipping.

https://www.tekton.com/hand-drive-sockets/6-point-sockets

This indeed looks like what I need, thanks.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Valt posted:

https://youtu.be/-BNJTHcz_pY

You don’t need to make or buy a tool for this. Those springs are not like suspension springs and aren’t going to kill you.

Oh yeah sure but the key here is I want to paint it with the spring extended so the whole spring is coated.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

I have these and they are nice. Seems like they are on a par with Tekton/Astro/Gearwrench/nicer HF stuff.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

net work error posted:

If I want a decent set of sockets what's the brand to get? Would a Gear Wrench set be the way to go or is there a better option? I'm tired of mine slipping or not gripping quite as much as I'd like.

i really like my proto/blackhawk stuff. usa-made, but not unaffordable like many of the higher end brands

Safety Dance posted:

ive bought... something? maybe a stud extractor? from them and i remember thinking it seemed fine. like tekton-ish quality. not junk but also not premium

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

net work error posted:

I've got the last-version of the Tekton 3/8 and 1/4 drive sets in the blowmold cases as part of the travel tools, and they've been great. Good range on each, came with ratchets and extensions. The new sets are supposed to have a better ratchet, so I'd recommend them without an issue. Otherwise I've been happy with my Gearwrench mid-depth 3/8 set that I picked up last year.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I have a set of the Astro Pneumatic low profile sockets that have an outside hex on them, that just impressed me this week. I had a bolt that I really needed a deep socket for but I don't have one, so I used the shallow socket and put a bigger one on the outside hex and it worked perfectly.

Now I'm imagining other uses, like using a crows foot on the shallow socket to get the right clearance to actually turn a bolt.

So yeah buy those and also I'll probably get some smaller deep sockets while I'm at it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I got the rec from AI but I needed some shallow 6 point impact sockets and this Tekton set has been great. I'm not beating on them every day like someone who uses them for work, but they were great for removing a bunch of horribly seized bolts on an older bike that saw a lot of weather.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

And if you are looking for something to add socket wise to your collection, get some impact swivels.

And some wobble extensions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, I bought the ryobi ratchet a few weeks ago, drat thing has been on the market for maybe 6 months and today they announced a brushless version in the HP line because of course they would.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It finally happened, my cheap tablet/OBD2 dongle/scanner broke. It was ~9? years old and way out of date. Since my cheap HF reader provides just the most basic info, is there a ~$100 stand alone unit worth buying or should I find another dongle/tablet? Ideally I'm looking for something that can do live data.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 21, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If you just need basic code reading, I bought one of these and it seems to work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LHVOVK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_3WPHKAEJDS7AS5WARMSB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Just buy a cheap Bluetooth OBD2 reader off Ebay and use an app on your phone. I personally use Torque, and a reader I bought for $4 three years ago and when I worked at a garage I found that Torque worked more reliably and refreshed faster than the dedicated Snap-On ODB2 reader that belonged to the garage.

The only downside I know of is that some people have bad luck with bluetooth OBD2 readers showing up DOA, but they're so cheap to make and ship here that the resellers rarely give you any poo poo and will just send another and tell you to destroy the first without even asking for proof that it's dead.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Picked up this fun old relic for $65, mostly for the cart it's on. Still had the warranty card with it, and a set of the unobtanium drawer slide tools which I'd been hunting for a while. Not pictured is a big bin full of its cables, a bunch of adapters for different ignition systems, and the user training video on VHS.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That rules. Nice find.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Got the Tekton sockets and they look nice although have no project for them currently. Either way having more sockets is better than less sockets.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

net work error posted:

Got the Tekton sockets and they look nice although have no project for them currently. Either way having more sockets is better than less sockets.

Always. You could probably use another ratchet too that way you can have two loaded up.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I have one Wera Zyklop I got used on eBay already so I'd need something else cool to add to the dual wielding loadout.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

net work error posted:

I have one Wera Zyklop I got used on eBay

Something about this triggered an "ugh fine" reaction in me, so now I've got Zyklop wrenches in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" coming to me from various eBay sellers. Thanks for the peer pressure

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wow, those look neat. Never knew I wanted that.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 25, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what's the process for accessing the beepboops on the dooblydoo if I have an OBD1 car? OBD1 plugs are manufacturer-specific, right? Are there bluetooth options or is that strictly for OBD2

also my inner monologe always reads the acronym "obd" as "Old Dirty Bastard" and i can't stop it

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Pretty much specific.

Sure they make cables to go to OBD2 from whatever but they are worthless.

Depending on vehicle, reading codes off the dash lights is as simple as a simple jumper. Fords especially.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

also my inner monologe always reads the acronym "obd" as "Old Dirty Bastard" and i can't stop it

I can never find OBD information because I type ODB.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Uthor posted:

I can never find OBD information because I type ODB.

on-doard biagnostics

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ol' Birty Dastard

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Extension cord Q: is 12 gauge thick enough to run a circular saw off a 25 ft cord? Random website I found said anything bigger than 14 gauge is fine for a 25 ft cord.

Is there a general consensus for what the color of an extension cord is for or is it just vanity?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

12 gauge should be fine, that’s usually what’s in the wall.

Most of the good polar-rated cords seem to be blue with an orange stripe. Other than that I think it’s aesthetics.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cool, gotta decide between hot pink and neon green, then!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I am now firmly of the opinion that all extension cords should look like this:

Krakkles posted:

Now that's an extension cord:

But yeah, 12 gauge is plenty, and you can do whatever color you like. I have two black, an orange, a yellow, and a white one, that I can think of off hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what's the process for accessing the beepboops on the dooblydoo if I have an OBD1 car? OBD1 plugs are manufacturer-specific, right? Are there bluetooth options or is that strictly for OBD2

IIRC, Chrysler products it was turn key on and off three times, then on and wait for the CEL to flash, and count the flashes = codes.
So like 5 flashes, pause, 3 flashes = code 53 for example. Multiple codes would have a longer pause.