Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So was the first part of Noveria supposed to be a stealth mission and then they just didn't bother to implement stealth mechanics so instead you just shoot everyone ?

This was a problem in the original too. Even when I successfully use the charm option in the SI office and the guards are like "we never saw each other", when that cutscene ends they open fire anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

cell posted:

IIRC that's actually a paragon interrupt anyway, which is correct

Yeah sorry, I worded that poorly, I meant to say that even Paragons pistol whip Gavin Archer over how he treated his brother. Archer just sucks that hard.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

So I’m not going mad and they totally did make Kelly Chambers look entirely different, apparently. I don’t like it but I’ll live, probably

ME2 feels so so so so so so so so soooo much better to play than ME1 it’s absurd.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
I bee-lined for Legion in ME2 and I am not disappointed. Even if this eventually means that my whole Cerberus Crew gets devoured in the end. Oh well, they were space terrorists.

Seeing character reactions on the Quarian's recruitment mission and other mid-game encounters has been well worth it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

a cyborg mug posted:

So I’m not going mad and they totally did make Kelly Chambers look entirely different, apparently. I don’t like it but I’ll live, probably

ME2 feels so so so so so so so so soooo much better to play than ME1 it’s absurd.

I love the improvements to ME1 in Legendary. However, I would have paid full price for just the first game if they made it play like 2 or 3.

I started two last night after doing a run in 1 with every sidequest I could find/finish. Now I'm already planning a Fem Shep trilogy run with different choices. This series is so great. It will be a while until I get to that run but I'll be pumped for it because I've never done a Fem Shep run.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ethiser posted:

Always turn on subtitles in every video game. They should be on by default.

I don't because I can't help but read them and it takes away from seeing the scene.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I am about 75% of the way through ME1 and decided I am going to make a new character and do a full trilogy run on Insanity. Game is so good.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Doctor Nutt posted:

Brb writing a polygon article about how "woke" Shepard won't even gently caress a hanar

coquettishly: enkindle this

yes i know that's elcor phrasing but let me have my Blasto joke

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

The best paragon/renegade interrupt in the whole series is in ME3in Sanctuary mission if Miranda's dead. You talk down Orianna's dad with a paragon interrupt then shoot him with a renegade. It's one of the reasons I love Me3, options like that. Also, if you lost a couple of characters in the suicide mission it reacts to the gaps so well.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Planning on spicing up my suicide mission for this run by using dice to pick random characters. I may be sending Thane into the vents, who knows?

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Doctor Nutt posted:

Planning on spicing up my suicide mission for this run by using dice to pick random characters. I may be sending Thane into the vents, who knows?

The true renegade play is to choose Morinth over Samara then send her down the pipes. No more fanatic justicar, no more raving sex vampire.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is there anyone that has to survive by the end of 3 or can the game end with all current/past squadmates dead?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

DarkLich posted:

I bee-lined for Legion in ME2 and I am not disappointed. Even if this eventually means that my whole Cerberus Crew gets devoured in the end. Oh well, they were space terrorists.

Seeing character reactions on the Quarian's recruitment mission and other mid-game encounters has been well worth it.

You should get the mod that lets you get Legion even earlier. There's so many hilarious interactions with them that you never see unless you do.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Inzombiac posted:

I don't because I can't help but read them and it takes away from seeing the scene.

This. Unless it’s a different language i never use subtitles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Spacebump posted:

Is there anyone that has to survive by the end of 3 or can the game end with all current/past squadmates dead?

At least 2 squadmates need to survive the suicide mission or Shepard will die.

You can very strategically get every original squad member killed by the end of ME3, but it may no longer be possible with all the boosts to war assets now.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I remember Legion being a big part of the advertising. It is baffling that they made his recruitment one of the last things a lot of players will probably do.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

a cyborg mug posted:

I *swore* she looked different. It's been many years, but I didn't remember flirting with a crew officer that looks like she wants to speak to my manager during every interaction.

And I most appreciate that ME2 feels like you're moving a slight bit faster. I never want to go around the citadel again with that slow rear end job. However, Shepard must be the most out of shape person ever. Even I can sprint across a room without getting winded for 20 seconds.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She had the same hair, just mirrored.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tirranek posted:

The true renegade play is to choose Morinth over Samara then send her down the pipes. No more fanatic justicar, no more raving sex vampire.

We shall see who the dice gods desire to consume :getin:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

The Vile Stuff posted:

Is anyone else having a bug on mouse and keyboard in ME1 where Shepard activates their medi-gel seemingly randomly? I've checked that my bindings aren't conflicting with each other etc. Seems to be related to bringing up the combat HUD but can't reliably trigger it.

I have it too, yeah. I thought that was me hitting side mouse buttons I never bothered to bind !

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://www.polygon.com/22436615/mass-effect-legendary-edition-police-ea-bioware-brooklyn-99

:shepface:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Doctor Nutt posted:

I did that on my last playthough, it was a loving massacre. For added fun, roll to decide which (if any Normandy upgrades you get).

I'm doing it this playthough too, the dice decided that I didn't get Zaeed's loyalty. Already going well.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Heh, you thought misreading a DLC as supporting abuse of special needs people was the hottest take I could do? :ssj:
- some polygon writer apparently

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So was the first part of Noveria supposed to be a stealth mission and then they just didn't bother to implement stealth mechanics so instead you just shoot everyone ?

You mean lorik quin's (sp) office? Yeah it always seems weird you can't do that without fighting some people.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

I always find it so funny that the first guy you meet on feros is a named character who tells you that Fai Dan wants to talk to you and that there are geth, then immediately after the conversation is over takes a rocket to the head from a geth that just teleported right behind him.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm curious, did they fix Saren's arm for the first 3/4ths of ME1, or is everyone in the Galaxy still oblivious to this?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

a cyborg mug posted:

She's exactly the same except for her hair. It's just the lighting that's different.

I love photo mode in this game.

Polaron fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 18, 2021

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm curious, did they fix Saren's arm for the first 3/4ths of ME1, or is everyone in the Galaxy still oblivious to this?

He's the exact same as the original release

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like Spectre X gear unlocks when Ilos becomes available. Not after Virmire, since you can do Virmire before one of Feros or Noveria.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

SirPhoebos posted:

You try and see that stuff on lovely veiny transparent holograms, man.
Nihlus, on the other hand... In this "Indoctrination Theory Part Deux" essay, I will

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I mean, yes, abolish the space police, but like what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Um actually, they're space military.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

I like the bit about there being no black women. I suspect Kimberly Brooks would disagree.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, yes, abolish the space police, but like what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

There's a kernel of a good idea here that like so much of media is focused on the cops/military being right and stymied by the paper pushing politicians and their ruuuuuuuuuuules man but hoo boy this is a take.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Amaranthine is the city/province that Dragon Age: Awakening takes place in and home to the game's resident turbo-rear end in a top hat Rendon Howe. That's basically it.

Amarantin is also the name of an alien race in the Revelation Space series. I've been reading it recently for the first time and now that I've finally replayed ME1 original release because of the legendary edition hype I had a few moments where it really felt like they changed a few things in ME so it wouldn't be too obvious they copied their homework (not that Revelation Space isn't tropey itself). So I'm inclined to believe it's an homage to that series.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Velius posted:

Is infiltrator actually fun? I’ve played Vanguard basically every time in Me2, and while it’s fun despite the lack of human bulleting in 1 I kind of want to try something different.

Fun is of course very subjective, but I first ran ME2 as an infil way back when and I liked it fine. It's a bit sedate though - most fights you'll just be huddling behind cover at the far end of the arena, popping pistol shots here and there, waiting for cloak to cool down then pop up, violently explode a head with your antimateriel rifle, fire off an overload or direct your squad for a bit, rinse repeat.

I'm sure you can play the class more action-y, using cloak to race into a flanking position your squad pins them down for example but doing the whack-a-mole waist-high wall thing was good 'nuff for me at the time ; especially since infils are quite squishy.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
that article is right and it was true back in 2007 too, it always had a very juvenile military worship energy that reads as though the writers had very limited interaction with the real world.

which, they were a bunch of white techies from Alberta, literally every level of government had been failing them their entire lives but the extremely slipshod nature of the CF hadn't yet been exposed. It probably is indicative of their experience that Mass Effect is so vanilla.

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006