Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do not get paid to post but I do sometimes get paid to go nice places and take photographs, and the phone the thread helped me pick does panoramas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
More like GullFancier. It is a very fancy gull though

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

This is definitely not true. There's lots of ways you can end up doing stuff that isn't worthwhile: miscommunication, misunderstanding, priming for misprioritization, delusions, compulsions. Any time where your actions don't line up with your desires, basically. The list is long, and pretty much everyone does a lot of poo poo off it pretty frequently because making good decisions is hard.

Desire is a strange thing. My deepest desires would require extraordinary hardship to attain, and half of them I don’t even know of because I don’t have that level of self-insight. It’s certainly not just a question of what you want to do in any given moment. I want right now to go home, smoke weed and play Slay the Spire until I fall asleep and I’d probably do that pretty much every day, but I wouldn’t call it worthwhile. It’s worthwhile in small amounts but I’d argue a life spent in pure indulgence without hardship or danger is about as good for the soul as a life spent in the drudgery of work.

I’m a firm believer in variety, and even more so that humans need to push themselves beyond their comfort zone with some regularity to live a really fulfilling life. I’ve always struggled to sum up my attitude towards this sort of thing well but the Greek concept of eudaemonia gets pretty close.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have no soul, only posts.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I have no soul, only posts.

This is the sort of attitude that allows posters like OwlFancier to transcend eudaemonia and enter a state of Divine Posting.

P.S. lovely pics! Where were they taken? I wanted to say Whitby but feel like it’s not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is whitby but it is at the end of the pier.

Or at least as far to the end of the pier as I am going because fuuuck you I'm not goin on the wooden bit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/rd_haie/status/1394673591673819142?s=21

UKMT May 2021 - a binbag full of custard

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
mood

(nice photos)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It is whitby but it is at the end of the pier.

Or at least as far to the end of the pier as I am going because fuuuck you I'm not goin on the wooden bit.

Get in there.

Makes me miss the north east. We really do have some of the best spots in the U.K. and still no fucker comes on their jollies, it’s great.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Of no particular relevance:
I'm on a training course this week, every evening on zoom for an hour. Yesterday and today so far the trainer has waffled on about herself, her son's girlfriend seems to ring the door bell exactly 5 mins after it starts every time, spends 10 mins reading all the comments in the chat which are 'hello everybody, I'm Jae from UK' type stuff.
Yesterday she waffled on for half an hour, we're now 16 minutes into this and she is still waffling on about herself.
Grrr.
I can't check out from this as it is a legal thing I have to do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Two separate people stopped me to ask for photos/directions/general information so there are some people coming for holidays at least. I dunno why I look like the tour guide though.

It's odd, I hope people come back but at the same time I also maybe would rather they wait a bit longer til more people are vaccinated, I guess it was mostly old people though who probably have had it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

That's exactly what I imagined. I cannot for the life of me understand why so many women seem to want to shag it.

(Trainer now on 19 minutes of waffling instead of the bloody CONTENT).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Of no particular relevance:
I'm on a training course this week, every evening on zoom for an hour. Yesterday and today so far the trainer has waffled on about herself, her son's girlfriend seems to ring the door bell exactly 5 mins after it starts every time, spends 10 mins reading all the comments in the chat which are 'hello everybody, I'm Jae from UK' type stuff.
Yesterday she waffled on for half an hour, we're now 16 minutes into this and she is still waffling on about herself.
Grrr.
I can't check out from this as it is a legal thing I have to do.

Ask if its ok to record it so you can go back for anything you missed, then ask will there be any way to rate the trainer after the course.
If she doesn't take the hint here, just give the vids as feedback.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That's exactly what I imagined. I cannot for the life of me understand why so many women seem to want to shag it.

It's just power, right? Like there's literally nothing else to it.

I guess maybe he can do the David Koresh charismatic mind control thing as well? Honestly doesn't seem like he'd be that good at it

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Ask if its ok to record it so you can go back for anything you missed, then ask will there be any way to rate the trainer after the course.
If she doesn't take the hint here, just give the vids as feedback.

There are going to be recordings, it's just I know I'm unlikely to watch replays. And tonight is the most important 'live' night.
She's still bloody waffling on repeating herself from last night.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

blunt posted:

The videos of this look really good, but it sounds/looks like so much work

Just Another Lurker posted:

It takes time to make it in that you do a bit and leave it for hours then do a bit more

So I've never done the "start with flour and wash out the starch" method... I just buy straight up wheat gluten powder and mix up a dough with it and cook it. Turns out really well and is much quicker by the sound of it.

As I mentioned I tweaked it over and over, made it like 8 times changing it each time to come up with a really tasty version of BBQ Vegan Ribs. This is the recipe I've based mine on:

https://veggiesociety.com/best-vegan-ribs-recipe-jackfruit/

Takes about 1.5 - 2 hours in total to measure out the ingredients, cook the jackfruit, mix into a dough, prep and cook in the oven (the cooking part is around an hour so the total active time is less than an hour). Helps if you have a roasting pan with a lid, since the seitan needs to steam in the barbecue sauce moisture - you can do it without one by using tin foil to create a "lid" on your roasting pan but it's more of a faff.

The secret to making it even better, and convincingly meaty, is to add MSG powder. There's other stuff in my recipe too to make the flavour a bit more complex but the recipe above plus my secret ingredient there will get you 98% of the way there.

The only other difference is that the recipe says to knead the dough for 5 minutes but I've found it to be more tender and just generally better if you don't - just mix it up enough to come together properly. Also I use the "grill and oven method" in the recipe but I actually just skip the grilling part because that's only for looks anyway.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 18, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I work at a cultural institution and we just re-opened and it is utterly kicking my rear end at the moment. I've had maybe 25 minutes to sit down throughout the entire day, running around making sure stuff is sorted, helping out and so on.

I also found out that the reason a cafe on site is not open at the moment is because the outside contractor made a load of people redundant at the start of the pandemic before furlough was a thing and the stupid bastards haven't been able to rehire anyone. The fact that some of the management team seemed to support the company for doing this is very much sus to me.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Anything you do is worthwhile because if it wasn't you wouldn't do it.

This is untrue but a nice thought

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

I also found out that the reason a cafe on site is not open at the moment is because the outside contractor made a load of people redundant at the start of the pandemic before furlough was a thing and the stupid bastards haven't been able to rehire anyone. The fact that some of the management team seemed to support the company for doing this is very much sus to me.

I can't help but shake the feeling that with covid meaning a load of workers went home and then brexit making it unappealing for people to come back, anyone trying to hire back up to full strength for hospitality is about to get a rude kick up the arse.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mr Owl posted:

I can't help but shake the feeling that with covid meaning a load of workers went home and then brexit making it unappealing for people to come back, anyone trying to hire back up to full strength for hospitality is about to get a rude kick up the arse.

Oh absolutely. The upcoming lack of staff is going to utterly gently caress the cafe. I feel bad for the workers still there, but gently caress the people running it.

It does mean I now have a moral reason to not buy sandwiches from them at least.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm enjoying how the anti-woke brigade are insisting that Keith and the Grauniad are both woke, but the people who actually know what it means are all "gently caress off no they aren't"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The bit I'm enjoying most is the 3% of self-describing woke people thinking nigel farage is woke :psyduck:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Namtab posted:

This is untrue but a nice thought

I mean, I feel like if you don't believe that it's going to be self fulfilling, yes if I constantly have doubts about whether what I am doing is the most worthwhile thing I could be doing then I am going to find fault with it, but ultimately I find it much better to simply look for why I am doing a thing and see the worth in it. If I spend my time sat on my arse relaxing or doing things I just find simply pleasant then that is a good use of my time, I wouldn't do it if I didn't feel like doing it more than doing other things. I probably could cook up some reasons to be dissatisfied with that but the way I see it I'm just making more work for myself.

Sometimes I want to do other things and I do them if I am able, but a lot of the time I don't, so I don't. I don't think either state is better than the other. If I am doing something it is worthwhile for me to do it, otherwise I wouldn't do it.

I can have opinions about other people arranging the world around me to make certain things worth my while to do, and I certainly have complaints when the things that are worth doing are unpleasant and when they are made worth doing only because I will starve otherwise, but for things I do of my own volition I definitely don't feel the need to start second guessing myself, and frankly I'm a bit resistant to the idea because it seems often like second guessing how you spend your time falls very much into the same category of "other people arranging the world around me to make me do things" because I see a lot of ideas put about in advertising that are about making you feel somehow inadequate, insufficient in your consumption or your actions or your appearance or countless other aspects of your self.

And that rubs me the wrong way, so I lean pretty hard to the opposite when it comes to what I would call an optimal outlook on yourself and the world. Self doubt might have some uses but I would generally suggest people I like should have less of it and people I don't I hope are cursed with an abundance of it because it makes people miserable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The bit I'm enjoying most is the 3% of self-describing woke people thinking nigel farage is woke :psyduck:
I wonder how well that overlaps with the 4% of people who thought that Barack Obama was a lizard.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's just power, right? Like there's literally nothing else to it.

I guess maybe he can do the David Koresh charismatic mind control thing as well? Honestly doesn't seem like he'd be that good at it

It's very revealing of the upper class - by their standards Boris Johnson is charming and attractive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He probably has less horse DNA than most of them.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

ThomasPaine posted:

second pfizer done today, here's hoping I don't get any side effects because I have a long day of meetings tomorrow lol

Anecdotally I hear that Pfizer 2 hits hard while AZ 2 doesn't. The experience of my wife (Pfizer) and me (AZ) was consistent with this theory, I had a mild ache in my deltoid the next morning and nothing else while she was feeling poo poo for several days.

So :rip: I guess.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Maugrim posted:

Anecdotally I hear that Pfizer 2 hits hard while AZ 2 doesn't. The experience of my wife (Pfizer) and me (AZ) was consistent with this theory.

Thats just apophenia, there's no real evidence of any pattern like that. But yeah :rip: to us all

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/adavies4/status/1394709870784417800?s=19

This seems cool, and also good.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

It could be Boris's raw sexual magnetism

Or it could be that he illegally funnelled her millions (?) of pounds of taxpayers' money

Probably one of those

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Borrovan posted:

Or it could be that he illegally funnelled her

:ohno:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Borrovan posted:

Or it could be that he illegally funnelled her millions (?) of pounds of taxpayers' money

Probably one of those

Lol no, she shagged him for years for about 25 grand.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

jiggerypokery posted:

Lol no, she shagged him for years for about 25 grand.

I thought she got an IT contract off the taxpayer for £125k (but I can't be bothered to google)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Thats just apophenia,

more vaccine side effects!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's nice that the police will investigate their own officers for hugging protesters and expressing support for oppressed minorities, but won't investigate officers when they beat the living poo poo out of peaceful protesters or infiltrate protests as agent provocateurs to give them a reason to crack open the tear gas grenades.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

kingturnip posted:

It's nice that the police will investigate their own officers for hugging protesters and expressing support for oppressed minorities, but won't investigate officers when they beat the living poo poo out of peaceful protesters or infiltrate protests as agent provocateurs to give them a reason to crack open the tear gas grenades.

The plod know their job mate

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Thats just apophenia, there's no real evidence of any pattern like that.

I think there's data from the Zoe symptom study app people. https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19152719.oxford-astrazeneca-side-effects-common-pfizer/

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Maugrim posted:

Anecdotally I hear that Pfizer 2 hits hard while AZ 2 doesn't. The experience of my wife (Pfizer) and me (AZ) was consistent with this theory, I had a mild ache in my deltoid the next morning and nothing else while she was feeling poo poo for several days.

I had it at 1pm today and still nothing, though it might hit me like a brick during the night. A friend had both Pfizer doses and didn't get any side effects at all so who knows. Maybe I will be one of the lucky ones!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I felt like crap for like, a day and a half after Pfizer shot #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just felt tired the day after P2 but that’s not unusual.