Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think it would be useful to define "what is the opposite of woke".
That might lead to some interesting answers and might get people to think about it a bit more.

Woke (as my right wing acquaintances seem to think) =
  • actively supporting equalities (whether gender, race, religion etc)
  • actively supporting tax-payer funded support for people in 'reduced circumstances' eg no job, disabilities etc (one of my most right wing acquaintances is severely disabled and relies heavily on the NHS - she would be completely uninsurable in the ideal world of the right - but I digress).
  • thinking people are more important than statues
  • anything that shows you have concern for more than your immediate family

That's now how they would phrase things. It would be more like this:
  • punishing white men, even the ones who did nothing wrong
  • giving more resources to scroungers
  • respecting history/empire
  • et cetera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

its going to be like that show about people working at the airport, but orders of magnitude more boring

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i am harry posted:

its going to be like that show about people working at the airport, but orders of magnitude more boring

it’s going to be televised cringe

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Can't believe woke is a thing now. Like I'm pretty sure it was a joke at one point, that if you were woke you knew that the twin towers never existed and the illuminati is recording your voice as you sleep to pick up psychic transmissions

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

i am harry posted:

the one with David Williams and Matt Lucas in black face?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Nothing to declare is trash but it's very funny seeing people repeatedly asked if they have food in their bags and it's a big fine if they say no and it's found still say no and the bag is opened and is entirely fully of food

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Quotey posted:

Can't believe woke is a thing now. Like I'm pretty sure it was a joke at one point, that if you were woke you knew that the twin towers never existed and the illuminati is recording your voice as you sleep to pick up psychic transmissions

Nah, it's changed a little from it's earliest use back in the 1800s but in the 60s it was repurposed to mean 'awareness', mainly among Black American communities. It was referring specifically to being aware of prejudices and injustice.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The SpecialParasocial Relationship.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The term 'woke' is useful insofar as any article where it's used unironically indicates that the author is an irredemible tool and you're safe to stop reading immediately.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

political correctness is a bit like ‘Elf and Safety where people are now taking the piss out of the people complaining about it rather than indulging them like they used to

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

"woke" has become like "pc" or "liberal" or "communism" where chuds use it to mean "anything i don't like" and couldn't tell you what the actual meaning is. see that racehorse owner blaming his horse pissing hot on "cancel culture."

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

XMNN posted:

the one with David Williams and Matt Lucas in black face?

no the one following the easyjet desk manager around all day

“it’s 2pm, and Nigel has finally found time to take his lunch break.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

there's technically a distinct sense to "woke", but yeah it's the new "politically correct" in the sense that it gets used in most mainstream press

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s the opposite of white supremacy

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

woke is when you tell your live-in-maid to remember to wear her mask at all times and to recycle the XR rebellion placards while you pocket her furlough money

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is woke the new cultural Marxism?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

wokeness originates from cultural marxism but it is not identical to it, i think

if one is willing to make some very generous allowances, the right-wing culture warriors do have a reasonably coherent and occasionally interesting view of the history of the western world since the post-war period. it's entirely unreasonable, but a lot of the jargon is actually talking about real stuff which has some level of purchase in society and motivates people to a certain extent - most of the people talking about "cultural marxism" are probably talking about the Frankfurt School tendencies of the thirties, especially represented by Actual CIA Asset herbert marcuse in yankeeland and still extant in every "critical X studies" programme, for instance. this is a real thing which has real influence over contemporary ideology, especially as it's been neutered through filtering it with some of the french post-structuralists, in particular lyotard, which robs it of its practical orientation and gives it a firm introspective bent. this in turn becomes a sort of moral/mental hygiene project, which is what they call wokeness and which includes calls for censorship of certain ideas, deplatforming as a regular strategy, change of street names and public decorations are critically important, consumer boycotts (even individual boycotts) become a matter of public pride etc

that this sort of thing is generally restricted to the children of higher education seems fairly irrelevant. in the UK, it's completely bizarre as the frankfurt school never got the sort of purchase that marcuse did in the US and the higher-educated/lower-educated culture war is much less pronounced and so it's filtered through a deeply americanised view and you get these odd second-hand notions where nobody really understand what the terms mean, but they know which team means what and so you sort of go through the motions. i see this all the time in debates in my own country and it's maddening

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Where does the "actual CIA" come in with Marcuse, I hadn't heard that one before

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

yall talkin about bein woke and puttin me to fuckin sleep

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

StashAugustine posted:

Where does the "actual CIA" come in with Marcuse, I hadn't heard that one before

he worked for the OSS during the war, i think it's on his wikipedia page - it's pretty well documented and he never denied it, though he claimed (credibly imo) to have ceased his affiliation with the agency by the time it'd become the CIA

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

have people in the UK started talking about "critical race theory" yet. That seems to be the new "cultural Marxism," while woke is more analogous to PC.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

V. Illych L. posted:

he worked for the OSS during the war, i think it's on his wikipedia page - it's pretty well documented and he never denied it, though he claimed (credibly imo) to have ceased his affiliation with the agency by the time it'd become the CIA

once a spook though

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

V. Illych L. posted:

Okay, I remember the OSS stuff now

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

redleader posted:

once a spook though

yeah that's what i was alluding to, marcuse was disquietingly comfortable with working with the US imperial agencies even after the war was over and this should be a part of one's assessment of the man and his motives, whether one considers it an excusable blind spot or something more sinister

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

We've got our own Left wing person who wrote about the importance and usage of signs, language and memory in politics while also being chummy with the state authorities.

George Orwell.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Orwell was a cryptofascist.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/RD_HaIe/status/1394673591673819142

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"and this is where I sit and drink all day when i'm not loving my mistress or the labour party"

he locks himself in a cupboard and drinks whiskey from a bottle

and eats wet eggs from a sack

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
because he's a... dick :geno:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

wokeness originates from cultural marxism but it is not identical to it, i think

if one is willing to make some very generous allowances, the right-wing culture warriors do have a reasonably coherent and occasionally interesting view of the history of the western world since the post-war period. it's entirely unreasonable, but a lot of the jargon is actually talking about real stuff which has some level of purchase in society and motivates people to a certain extent - most of the people talking about "cultural marxism" are probably talking about the Frankfurt School tendencies of the thirties, especially represented by Actual CIA Asset herbert marcuse in yankeeland and still extant in every "critical X studies" programme, for instance. this is a real thing which has real influence over contemporary ideology, especially as it's been neutered through filtering it with some of the french post-structuralists, in particular lyotard, which robs it of its practical orientation and gives it a firm introspective bent. this in turn becomes a sort of moral/mental hygiene project, which is what they call wokeness and which includes calls for censorship of certain ideas, deplatforming as a regular strategy, change of street names and public decorations are critically important, consumer boycotts (even individual boycotts) become a matter of public pride etc

that this sort of thing is generally restricted to the children of higher education seems fairly irrelevant. in the UK, it's completely bizarre as the frankfurt school never got the sort of purchase that marcuse did in the US and the higher-educated/lower-educated culture war is much less pronounced and so it's filtered through a deeply americanised view and you get these odd second-hand notions where nobody really understand what the terms mean, but they know which team means what and so you sort of go through the motions. i see this all the time in debates in my own country and it's maddening

I honestly think you just made up a lot of names . I’m going to google some of those

edit

they checked out. good stuff

euphronius has issued a correction as of 01:06 on May 19, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol this is boris' fiance and her boyfriend at the time she cheated with boris on. he now spends his days writing about how great boris is for the daily mail

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tfw boris cucks you

https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1346035038169792512

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Woke == virtue signalling == politically correct == underwater basket weaving. tbh

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

yall talkin about bein woke and puttin me to fuckin sleep
That's how you stay woke, by sucking out others energy to fill up your own reserves.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's how you stay woke, by sucking out others energy to fill up your own reserves.

Everyone knows you gain the clout of those you cancel like the highlander

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1394900259973836801

This is such a deranged plan it must be true

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Lol, of course.

https://twitter.com/London_Fields/status/1394919862443692037?s=19

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

They're going to capitulate to every demand Australia makes in the trade deal because they're so desperate to have something positive to announce post-Brexit.

Australia is negotiating a trade deal with its 2nd-largest trading partner - the EU. No way they're going to jeopardise that by giving favourable terms to Swamp Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
loving lol that you're getting hosed around by Australia