Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Another Aesthete culture, this time the Indians:

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1394684308435226631

Charlz Guybon posted:

Hollywood and Bollywood were passed up for this?

Looks like Bollywood wasn't passed up after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Not sure about this Egypt, I was expecting Egypt as the leader of pan-Arab nationalism sort of deal. Probably because I'm still not quite sure what the term contemporary refers to Humankind's case. Is it the cold war era or like, today?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I'm still not quite sure what the term contemporary refers to Humankind's case. Is it the cold war era or like, today?

Yes

(It's meant to be the entire period since the Second World War)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Speaking of the period since the Second World War, Soviets are in:
https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1397221028267446289

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Apparently there are some new videos popping up showcasing the Industrial era from a press event--though it was possible in the Victor OpenDev to research into the Industrial era as the Joseon (I finished the tech tree in two of my games) and see most of the stuff there, minus the wonders and actually playing the cultures. My impression is that the game starts to really snowball in terms of numbers in the Early Modern/Industrial eras. I don't have much experience with the Endless series since I always bounced off it when I reached the midgame, so I don't have much of a point of comparison there.

Also, Sweden.
https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1399757738222235657

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Magil Zeal posted:

Apparently there are some new videos popping up showcasing the Industrial era from a press event--though it was possible in the Victor OpenDev to research into the Industrial era as the Joseon (I finished the tech tree in two of my games) and see most of the stuff there, minus the wonders and actually playing the cultures. My impression is that the game starts to really snowball in terms of numbers in the Early Modern/Industrial eras. I don't have much experience with the Endless series since I always bounced off it when I reached the midgame, so I don't have much of a point of comparison there.

Also, Sweden.
https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1399757738222235657

In my experience, all the Amplitude 4x games are numbers snowballing: the movie: the game.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The modern buildings are feeling a literal generic to me. Every country has arms factories and research labs.

Indian ashrams are the right idea! Imagine if that had just been called 'temple' instead.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Swedes are a ridiculous choice for a modern era civ. They should have just bit the bullet and made a European Union civ.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Charlz Guybon posted:

Swedes are a ridiculous choice for a modern era civ. They should have just bit the bullet and made a European Union civ.

It's very odd. Especially since Swedes as an early modern would make sense.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Contemporary culture
Emblematic unit : soldier
Emblematic building : house

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 2, 2021

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Human Crouton posted:

Contemporary culture
Emblematic unit : soldier
Emblematic building : house

america
emblematic unit: hillbilly militia
emblematic building: beer barn

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Fur20 posted:

america
emblematic unit: hillbilly militia
emblematic building: beer barn

Now say it in a withering french accent

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

I don’t really get why theyre a science civ. is it just the Nobel prize? They may spend a fair amount on it but Sweden would never be the first nation I think of for science

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Davincie posted:

I don’t really get why theyre a science civ. is it just the Nobel prize? They may spend a fair amount on it but Sweden would never be the first nation I think of for science

Sweden has more researchers per million inhabitants than the US, Japan, Germany, etc...

http://uis.unesco.org/apps/visualisations/research-and-development-spending/

And they spend just as much of their GDP on it too.

It's like every time a new nation is revealed, people come and get surprised foreigners don't live in mud huts nor do they poo poo on their hands.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Sweden was probably just included to hit their European countries quota so it sells well in that country. They should indeed bite the bullet and just make Europe represented by the EU in the contemporary era and call it a day.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Det_no posted:

Sweden has more researchers per million inhabitants than the US, Japan, Germany, etc...

http://uis.unesco.org/apps/visualisations/research-and-development-spending/

And they spend just as much of their GDP on it too.

It's like every time a new nation is revealed, people come and get surprised foreigners don't live in mud huts nor do they poo poo on their hands.

Don't be so demeaning, i already mentioned their science spending. your own site already shows a more obvious choice for a science civ, korea.

if you look at what sweden is mostly known for today it's not science, its diplomacy, its social democracy. They have the Visby class corvette, but is that really what you think of first when you think of Sweden? If Russia has a Soviet Union theme, why not keep the cold war theme up by giving sweden the Stridsvagn? Why not a unit that somehow uses their diplomatic skills? Why use the Avicii Arena for a research institute when its an arena? It was sponsored by Ericsson for a while sure, but not build by them nor used for research.

People can think there's odd choices in civ design!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Is it any weirder than building nuclear arms in 1120 or declaring that Christianity is a blood cult based on worshiping the divine mother? So much of Civ is weird as hell when it's thought about.

That's realistic. If human civilization would have focused on science and technology for the last 3000 years instead of only the last 300 years, we would have got nuclear weapons (and all the rest of modern stuff) way before. In our world, civilizations spent too much % of resources in wars and religion.
If humankind would have set the science slider to 20% like people do in Civilization games, at this point we would have colonies on Saturn moons and poo poo.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Turin Turambar posted:

That's realistic. If human civilization would have focused on science and technology for the last 3000 years instead of only the last 300 years, we would have got nuclear weapons (and all the rest of modern stuff) way before. In our world, civilizations spent too much % of resources in wars and religion.
If humankind would have set the science slider to 20% like people do in Civilization games, at this point we would have colonies on Saturn moons and poo poo.

Makes sense. All we need to do is unify people behind our vision of progress. We might need some way of bringing them into line if they refuse though, or they'll never listen to us.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

Technology was snowballing and accelerating that whole time. I'm skeptical that technology would be that much more advanced even with a point of departure two or three thousand years ago.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Deltasquid posted:

Sweden was probably just included to hit their European countries quota so it sells well in that country. They should indeed bite the bullet and just make Europe represented by the EU in the contemporary era and call it a day.

Good luck defining a EU culture.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Kassad posted:

Good luck defining a EU culture.

preamble to the EU Treaties posted:

HIS MAJESTY THE KING OF THE BELGIANS, HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN OF DENMARK, THE PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY, THE PRESIDENT OF IRELAND, THE PRESIDENT OF THE HELLENIC REPUBLIC, HIS MAJESTY THE KING OF SPAIN, THE PRESIDENT OF THE FRENCH REPUBLIC, THE PRESIDENT OF THE ITALIAN REPUBLIC, HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS THE GRAND DUKE OF LUXEMBOURG, HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN OF THE NETHERLANDS, THE PRESIDENT OF THE PORTUGUESE REPUBLIC, HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND, ( 1 )

RESOLVED to mark a new stage in the process of European integration undertaken with the establishment of the European Communities,

DRAWING INSPIRATION from the cultural, religious and humanist inheritance of Europe, from which have developed the universal values of the inviolable and inalienable rights of the human person, freedom, democracy, equality and the rule of law,

RECALLING the historic importance of the ending of the division of the European continent and the need to create firm bases for the construction of the future Europe,

CONFIRMING their attachment to the principles of liberty, democracy and respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms and of the rule of law,

CONFIRMING their attachment to fundamental social rights as defined in the European Social Charter signed at Turin on 18 October 1961 and in the 1989 Community Charter of the Fundamental Social Rights of Workers,

DESIRING to deepen the solidarity between their peoples while respecting their history, their culture and their traditions,

DESIRING to enhance further the democratic and efficient functioning of the institutions so as to enable them better to carry out, within a single institutional framework, the tasks entrusted to them,

RESOLVED to achieve the strengthening and the convergence of their economies and to establish an economic and monetary union including, in accordance with the provisions of this Treaty and of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, a single and stable currency,

DETERMINED to promote economic and social progress for their peoples, taking into account the principle of sustainable development and within the context of the accomplishment of the internal market and of reinforced cohesion and environmental protection, and to implement policies ensuring that advances in economic integration are accompanied by parallel progress in other fields,

RESOLVED to establish a citizenship common to nationals of their countries,

RESOLVED to implement a common foreign and security policy including the progressive framing of a common defence policy, which might lead to a common defence in accordance with the provisions of Article 42, thereby reinforcing the European identity and its independence in order to promote peace, security and progress in Europe and in the world,

RESOLVED to facilitate the free movement of persons, while ensuring the safety and security of their peoples, by establishing an area of freedom, security and justice, in accordance with the provisions of this Treaty and of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union,

RESOLVED to continue the process of creating an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe, in which decisions are taken as closely as possible to the citizen in accordance with the principle of subsidiarity,

IN VIEW of further steps to be taken in order to advance European integration,
HAVE DECIDED to establish a European Union and to this end have designated as their Plenipotentiaries:

There's a lot to draw from here; probably something cultural as a baseline.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
EU:

Party civilisation

Emblatic building: Discotheque.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Buller posted:

EU:

Party civilisation

Emblatic building: Discotheque.

-20% production in the summer but the emblematic building music festival appears and adds +1 influence per population per turn

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Davincie posted:

Don't be so demeaning, i already mentioned their science spending. your own site already shows a more obvious choice for a science civ, korea.

if you look at what sweden is mostly known for today it's not science, its diplomacy, its social democracy. They have the Visby class corvette, but is that really what you think of first when you think of Sweden? If Russia has a Soviet Union theme, why not keep the cold war theme up by giving sweden the Stridsvagn? Why not a unit that somehow uses their diplomatic skills? Why use the Avicii Arena for a research institute when its an arena? It was sponsored by Ericsson for a while sure, but not build by them nor used for research.

People can think there's odd choices in civ design!

Speaking personally, although I agree on EU > Sweden and that social democracy is really their defining characteristic, I don't really think of Sweden as an international mediator so much anymore. If anything, Sweden's most notable characteristic is their green technology credentials.

If you need a science Civ and a European Civ in one, I think Sweden fits the bill just fine.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I just wish they tried harder to find a more interesting name than "research institute" which is so generic that it could literally be the generic science building in the contemporary period and I wouldnt notice.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

I just wish they tried harder to find a more interesting name than "research institute" which is so generic that it could literally be the generic science building in the contemporary period and I wouldnt notice.

Wait until you hear that the next two "emblematic" districts revealed will probably be Robotics Lab and Public School for the Japanese and the Turks, respectively.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Magil Zeal posted:

Wait until you hear that the next two "emblematic" districts revealed will probably be Robotics Lab and Public School for the Japanese and the Turks, respectively.

the gülenists got to amplitude :argh:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Lowen posted:

In my experience, all the Amplitude 4x games are numbers snowballing: the movie: the game.

It is certainly accurate to a degree historically for the Industrial revolution at least, though it does make me question later-game stability stuff since after building a few luxury manufactories I had 100% stability on all my cities permanently with something like a couple of hundred stability surplus, even without procession, without ever building a single commons' quarter.

But then apparently the press build they played at the end of May already had a fair few changes from the Victor build, so I suppose we'll see how balance shakes out. I saw how outposts build extractors changed, which makes me wonder if how they convert to cities also changed, because I always used a little trick where you could build an extractor on an outpost, sacrifice a pop to complete it and use the "overflow" production to convert it into a city in 1 turn instead of waiting for the X turns it would normally take.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Another Tuesday, another reveal, this time it's the Turks though all of this info is already known if you care about that sort of thing since the press build had it:

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1402294491902529544

Of note this is the second Agrarian culture for the Contemporary era, making it the only era with two Agrarian cultures to choose from (though the Franks are halfway there with +50% food as their legacy trait). Based on press build leaked information: compared to the Brazilians they're an interesting choice, as Brazilians make every citizen better which if the population growth exponential carries over to release is pretty bonkers, but Turks give +10 stability per district which is basically the same as being able to completely ignore stability, which could be valuable depending on how stability balance shakes out. So while the Brazilians make every population point better individually, the Turks give you more population with +5 food per district, helping you trigger the Agrarian action more. The Public School is a nice science-based district in an Agrarian culture. The leaked stats are just a slightly weaker Exhibition Hall so I'm thinking that will need to change.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Small new trailer and another beta confirmed. More news tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1403785458585423874

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I did something wildly out of character and updated the OP. Let me know if I should put anything else in it.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Turin Turambar posted:

goons lmfao

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Beamed posted:

goons lmfao

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Wow, that sure is ignoring the rest of the world there, which was doing just fine during the “Dark Ages”.

Like the Indian and Muslim golden ages of science were in that period, not even mentioning Asia and the rest of the world.

Little Abigail fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 13, 2021

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

lol

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Little Abigail posted:

Wow, that sure is ignoring the rest of the world there, which was doing just fine during the “Dark Ages”.

Like the Indian and Muslim golden ages of science were in that period, not even mentioning Asia and the rest of the world.

(he's posting the graph to make fun of the other guy)

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Voyager I posted:

(he's posting the graph to make fun of the other guy)

(Let’s just pretend I was ragging on the graph there as well!)

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Little Abigail posted:

(Let’s just pretend I was ragging on the graph there as well!)

(The graph is a decade+ old, I don't think he can hear you)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks like the closed beta is live right now for the next 8 days. 200 turns max through the industrial era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
does this one have a randomized map or is it like the last one where it was a premade one?