Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
it's actually called willy's wonderworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ymgve posted:

it's actually called willy's wonderworld

loving lmao

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

Somebody promised Cage a whole mess of money AND no dialogue to learn AND he could probably be drunk every day AND a pinball montage. Not a single one of us would turn that down. The kitchen renovation it paid for is probably beautiful.

Doesn’t Cage have massive tax debts he takes these jobs to pay off? Or has that situation resolved itself after a decade or so of cashgrabs nouveau shamanic cinematic brilliance.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I tried returning to Indivisible. It was... unfun. The opposite of fun. A chore, maybe, just to play the short area I was in. The only thing I kind of liked was the traversal tools, and my save was right before you get the sliding jump so I had plenty in my arsenal to re-discover. Combat, however, was brutish and long. Enemies dealt tons of damage even when I was blocking, healing was hit-or-miss as sometimes the effect of holding R1 wouldn't proc so I could hit L1 to heal (also if you hold R1 while the enemy is attacking you, you do a full-party block which drains your meter, and you can only heal with a full meter. So I would build up a full meter, press R1 not realizing that it was technically an enemy's attack phase, lose the ability to heal, and have to wait for someone to be able to attack to refill that meter), and my party was dealing junk damage in return. Every encounter was a prolonged back-and-forth and when I got to the end of one path and my new objective was "return to port", which meant going through all the encounters I had just dealt with again, I almost cried.

I didn't like how much of the game was obviously Kickstarter related. All the background, town NPCs have that feeling of being someone's very special OC. Their dialogue was either a) a non-sequitur, b) talking about how cool and powerful they were, or c) how they were entwined with the main character somehow. I actually missed throwaway lines that would do some world building or tell me about the place I was in, instead I get a catgirl who what "chocie-chip cookies" and a person who is a collection of souls who's been watching me from afar, totally unrelated to the plot. This trickles into the characters who make up the party/arsenal the main character gathers. They seem to have a few lines when you collect them and some of them pop up to make a quip here and there, but if you go into the mind palace they seem to say the same stuff they did when I absorbed them into my brain. I don't know the particulars of the Kickstarter incentives and what characters were stretch goals, but everyone seems so throwaway where they're biggest difference is how they act in the unpleasant battle system.

I think I will instead go back to Dragon Quest XI and finally finish it, final side-quests be damned, then try to dig back into Divinity: Original Sin 2. I only got to the second Act in D:OS2 but some friends started playing it multiplayer and it was recently mentioned in the Little Things In Games thread, and now I've got a pulling sensation drawing me back to it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Indivisible healing is a trap, full stop. Further, as you upgrade your defense perfect guards will eventually stop all damage and then eventually heal you on each successful block

Enemies have slog like piles of HP, so abusing characters like the turban guy to shatter the difficulty is the only way to avoid falling asleep in combat.

You've nailed the games character writing is somehow Chrono Cross but worse.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Indivisible and Iconoclasts are games that slip off the surface of my brain so easily, I get them confused for each other and all I remember is that Indivisible has nothing to do with atoms and Iconoclasts has nothing to do with the byzantines

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Iconoclasts is the game I only remember because its end game twist is fun in a black comedy kind of way.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I know nohing about the video game iconoclasts, not even its genre, but every time someone posts about it I do a little nod and think "that's a sick rear end name for a video game"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

cheetah7071 posted:

I know nohing about the video game iconoclasts, not even its genre, but every time someone posts about it I do a little nod and think "that's a sick rear end name for a video game"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAb_bO38-60

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not gonna click that cause I don't want to risk the game being worse than the name

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Does it help any if I say that Iconoclasts is Good Gametm?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Roach Warehouse posted:

Doesn’t Cage have massive tax debts he takes these jobs to pay off? Or has that situation resolved itself after a decade or so of cashgrabs nouveau shamanic cinematic brilliance.

Dipshit shoulda made another National Treasure movie then. It's been 13 years and that idiot still hasn't stolen George Washington's teeth or whatever

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On one hand lol that microsoft did whatever they needed to to get publishing rights to The Outer Worlds so they can release a sequel without 2k, on the other 3 million people bought the game which is impressive for a game I've never heard praised

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Barudak posted:

on the other 3 million people bought the game which is impressive for a game I've never heard praised

Sounds exactly like the Fallout 3/4 business model

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Barudak posted:

On one hand lol that microsoft did whatever they needed to to get publishing rights to The Outer Worlds so they can release a sequel without 2k, on the other 3 million people bought the game which is impressive for a game I've never heard praised

I've heard more about the fact that Obsidian was involved with Outer Worlds but nothing more than that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

I've heard more about the fact that Obsidian was involved with Outer Worlds but nothing more than that.

Its Obsidian on a budget and feels it; combat exists, the setting is almost really intriguing, and the writing has some interesting things it tries to do but lack the fleshing out/depth/end options to feel satisified. Its also a frontloaded game with like 50% occuring in the first zone.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I question the part about the writing having interesting things in it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
did any of the dlc help? or is that too compartmentalized to have an effect on the main game?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrast posted:

I question the part about the writing having interesting things in it

People really liked the asexual companion and helping her find a partner and some of the quest endings indicate the writers didn't think "both sidesing" and meeting in the middle for conflicts was the right thing or even a good course of action but its botched in execution. Theres some fun bits about the poisoned food supply and paying for suicides. That said I said some because most of it was meeeeeeh

Rinkles posted:

did any of the dlc help? or is that too compartmentalized to have an effect on the main game?

The DLC is all standalone adventures iirc

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 19, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I was pretty hype by the idea of “Fallout NV guys make their own game” but umm, even just the insane fever dream “pacifist” playthrough ymfah did looked kinda boring and dry in practice.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I waited for it to be on Steam after the year of exclusivity and I played through the whole game and the DLC and I had a good time. It looked really good and was fun to play another Fallout style RPG. I wish modding existed because you could easily soup it up like the 3D fallouts and make it really good.

I think their follow up will definitely work, because the DLC was a ton better and they seemed to have taken the criticism to heart with how it played out.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

It’s me, the Indivisible liker

Barudak posted:

People really liked the asexual companion and helping her find a partner and some of the quest endings indicate the writers didn't think "both sidesing" and meeting in the middle for conflicts was the right thing or even a good course of action but its botched in execution. Theres some fun bits about the poisoned food supply and paying for suicides. That said I said some because most of it was meeeeeeh

I’m glad I played Parvati’s quest and then stopped

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think after the failure of Fallout 76 people were just eager to slap "the true successor to New Vegas" on anything from Boyarsky and Cain, but the Outer Worlds felt like a game made by people who had been entirely out of practice in the industry for 10 years. Which it was.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Tonight I plan on diversifying my gaming experiences.

I have spoken about not having fun with turn based games before...however, I also did not have fun with Bloodborne and From games either. So it is only fair to start giving these games another try. Maybe back then it was my mental state or the game, or just a weird outlier.

Willing to give anything a try and I had played a small amount of persona 5 a long while ago. I think I entered the first dungeon before putting it down and never picking it back up. Well a while ago I got P5R (do not remember how, only that I did not buy it) and I am giving it a go again. I really want to stick with it and I feel that my gaming time has opened up a little now that I do not have to focus on keeping my From skills tip top (I played another third person game the day before a Sekiro session and everything went awry! No compartmentalising in this noggin!)

Maybe this will be the gateway game that Bloodborne was? I already know it has one of the funkiest UIs and slickest jazz scores.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think after the failure of Fallout 76 people were just eager to slap "the true successor to New Vegas" on anything from Boyarsky and Cain, but the Outer Worlds felt like a game made by people who had been entirely out of practice in the industry for 10 years. Which it was.

Its extra funny because Fallout 76 has gone on to be extremely profitable.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

VideoGames posted:

Tonight I plan on diversifying my gaming experiences.

Oh hell yeah. I’m finishing up P5R myself.

If it helps, one of the changes from base P5 does a lot to streamline the combat. Early mechanical spoiler: Baton Pass, which was once locked behind each party member’s confidant, is now available from the start. When you hit an enemy with their weakness and get your 1 More you can pass to another character, which buffs them and allows you to chain effective attacks. It’s one of the best things Royal does.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I played through Outer Worlds a while ago, and some notes on the gameplay:

1) Ammo is, like, stupidly common. On top of having just three types split between all guns, it also showers you in ammo constantly. I played on normal (which is flat out called 'the intended difficulty' by the game), and by the end I had something like 8K of each ammo type.

2) The skill system is infuriatingly restrictive. Unlike New Vegas, skills cap at 150 instead of 100, but you only get 10 skill points per level, with a level cap of 30 (36 with all DLC). So now you can only max 1 or 2 skills during the entire game, and odds are you'll want Speech and either Lockpick or Hacking leveled just to pass skill checks, so any other skill is a dump stat by default.

3) The healing system has a thing where you can shove items into your healing inhaler for extra buffs, but there are just so loving many of each type all with different effects and durations that I honestly ignored it entirely. Also, just to get all four buff slots open requires like 80 points in Medicine, which ain't loving happening with how tight points are already.

4) Perks are just... kinda bland? They're all just 'here have some health' or 'x weapon type does more damage', no fun perks that can shake things up. By the time I was max level I was just picking random perks because I already got all the ones that caught my eye.

Like, Outer Worlds has some good stuff, I personally liked the idea behind the Phobia system and the disguises, but man there's a lot of room for improvement on a hypothetical Outer Worlds 2.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
My brother gave me a PS4 he wasn't playing like a year ago and it sat in a box until yesterday when my wife asked me to set it up but I'm having some issues with the controller, I left it plugged in overnight but it doesn't seem to be charging, so as far as I can tell my only real option is to get a new controller. Has anyone run into this before and have any suggestions as to what I can try before I go to the store? I also have a 8bitdo sn30 pro+ for my switch but you can't use that on the PS4 even though it's Bluetooth, correct?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I know DS4s can be finicky about charging, especially as they get older. Don't want to give you too much hope, but I'd try another usb cable, or fiddle with the connection on the DS4 end before giving up (mine, for instance, charges much more reliably when I lay it upside down).

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Contact cleaner in the usb port might help

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

My brother gave me a PS4 he wasn't playing like a year ago and it sat in a box until yesterday when my wife asked me to set it up but I'm having some issues with the controller, I left it plugged in overnight but it doesn't seem to be charging, so as far as I can tell my only real option is to get a new controller. Has anyone run into this before and have any suggestions as to what I can try before I go to the store? I also have a 8bitdo sn30 pro+ for my switch but you can't use that on the PS4 even though it's Bluetooth, correct?

My DS4 has gotten so bad that it can only charge if I bend the port really hard downwards and have it resting on the edge of a table or something so that it stays steady. Your port might have a similar problem.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

what's a good game that's about finding cool combos in the RPG mechanics?

Dragon age inquistion has some of this, but it's buried under an awful ui, unclear rules, mountains of trash loot, and hours of tedium. i'd like something that's less bones more meat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

That is basically the entire premise of the Divinity OS1&2's combat.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

completely forgot about those. the first one still worth playing beforehand?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Last night I was playing 2020's Game of the Year. That's right, Bloodborne.

Wanted to do a bloodtinge build which means going to BSB and false depthing because lol at the default locations of the bloodtinge weapons. BSB did something I've never seen before. He got like, stuck going into his third phase. Just standing up, roaring, coming back down on all fours, standing up again, roaring, coming back down again, etc. while I beat on him. Honestly, thanks dude because your third form is a piece of poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Rinkles posted:

completely forgot about those. the first one still worth playing beforehand?

OS1 isn't bad but OS2 is an all-timer. The main stories aren't particularly linked and the overarching plot is a whole bunch of whatever anyway so I'd probably just start with OS2.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Saint Freak posted:

Last night I was playing 2020's Game of the Year. That's right, Bloodborne.

Wanted to do a bloodtinge build which means going to BSB and false depthing because lol at the default locations of the bloodtinge weapons. BSB did something I've never seen before. He got like, stuck going into his third phase. Just standing up, roaring, coming back down on all fours, standing up again, roaring, coming back down again, etc. while I beat on him. Honestly, thanks dude because your third form is a piece of poo poo.

The trick to BSB is called The Beyonce Method. :)

Trust me. No wait, of course you already know this, ignore me!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

VideoGames posted:

The trick to BSB is called The Beyonce Method. :)

Trust me. No wait, of course you already know this, ignore me!

Veeg not reading good today.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Thanks for the suggestions about the PS4 controller, I'll give them a try and see. Also apparently PS4 controllers are impossible to find now? When did that happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Maybe this will be the gateway game that Bloodborne was? I already know it has one of the funkiest UIs and slickest jazz scores.

I think Persona 5 has been a gateway for a lot of people getting into turn-based combat, or at least has been something people can enjoy even if it's not normally their thing. As long as you're in for a very long, dialog-heavy game, you're gonna have a good time, I think.