Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Beastie posted:

lol GTAV is going to be on three generations of consoles now.

I swear I'm not going to buy it a 3rd time for 60 bucks like some donkey. This time I mean it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Crafty posted:

You son of a bitch, I trusted you.

Resident evil 2 remake it is then.

Get a Wii U so you can play Devil's Third.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I never played the original Resident Evil games other than farting about with the first 2 in a mate's house back in the 90s or whenever.

I picked up Resident Evil 7 on sale a few months ago, I'm enjoying it but I'm crap at it. I also got a decent discount on the 2 and 3 remakes. Should I finish 7 before going back to the supposed mastery of 2?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I never played the original Resident Evil games other than farting about with the first 2 in a mate's house back in the 90s or whenever.

I picked up Resident Evil 7 on sale a few months ago, I'm enjoying it but I'm crap at it. I also got a decent discount on the 2 and 3 remakes. Should I finish 7 before going back to the supposed mastery of 2?

If you're enjoying it, there's no reason not to keep at it. Even if struggling with the first-person style burns you out by the end of RE7, the RE2 remake plays completely differently (and is way, way more fun and action oriented).

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The humiliating rate at which games in my library/backlog make it onto game pass before I actually, you know, play them.

I need to stop buying games unless I am going to play them RIGHT NOW.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

RE2 remake rocks so loving hard. I've played both campaigns at least twice because it's so good. I've played chunk of 7 and now the first chunk of 8 and I gotta say my main complaints about 7 were fixed in 8, mostly that movement feels like running in mud and combat is awkward as hell.

Basically if 7 isn't grabbing you, play 2. RE3 remake is fine but it's not nearly as packed with content as 2

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

doingitwrong posted:

The humiliating rate at which games in my library/backlog make it onto game pass before I actually, you know, play them.

Congrats on your username/post combo though

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Resi 5 was ok as a coop shooter in 2009. When the coop actually worked the netcode was garbage

Most underwhelming followup to RE4 possible but on its own it isn't really a bad game

Honestly I thought I was done with the series after 5 was ok and 6 was reportedly just bad (I didn't even bother) but I played Re2 remake for some reason and that was just, incredible so I'm kinda back onboard? I don't really like scary games though I have to be in a specific mood

I think Capcom was just in a weird phase at the time but also a cool one. They weren't really that fussed about their old IPs and focused on a lot of new ones instead, and games like Dead Rising were really successful which probably left them a little confused as to what to do when it came to following up RE4, especially after Gears of War launched to huge success and probably left them feeling lost with what to do with RE as a result.

Some cool stuff from that era however. I thought what happened with Lost Planet was a shame because the second game was really impressive with those huge enemies and everything going on, it was unfortunately just a bit too janky. At the same time it's great to see games like DMCV and MHW released as Capcom returns to their roots somewhat, just a bummer that MvC came back so poorly and the new Darkstalkers was canned.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

doingitwrong posted:

While not being foolproof, I recommend checking the game's publisher before making purchases as some have set a precedent for their games to appear on Game Pass (easiest done on TrueAchievements).

Other than the obvious publishers like Microsoft, Bethesda, EA etc. there are ones like Devolver, Humble, Raw Fury, THQ Nordic, Focus Home Interactive and probably a bunch of others that have a higher chance of being GP fodder. ;)

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

According to Rock Paper Shotgun, Warner Bros. Games is looking at selling off studios again:

Rock Paper Shotgun posted:

WB Games (which owns the studios who make Batman:Arkham, Mortal Kombat and the Lego games) might be broken up after WarnerMedia merge with Discovery. WB's parent company AT&T announced the merger yesterday, which they say will create a "a premier, standalone global entertainment company" to rival big players like Netflix and Disney. Reportedly, some of WB's games studios will stay with AT&T, while others will go with the new company.

There's no mention of WB Games in AT&T's announcement, but the company told IGN that part of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE) will be sold off, though it's not clear which part. An AT&T representative also told Axios's Sara Fischer: "Some of the gaming arm will stay with AT&T and some will go with the new company."

The 11 studios that make up WBIE are: Rocksteady, NetherRealm, Monolith, TT Games, Avalanche Software, WB Games Montréal, WB Games Boston, WB Games Los Angeles, WB Games San Francisco, WB Games San Diego, and WB Games New York. There are no official details on which game studios will go where just yet, though I'd imagine the ones that deal directly with WB-owned franchises (like Rocksteady, who made the DC comics-based Batman: Arkham series) will stick with WB.

This isn't the first time AT&T talked about shifting these studios. Last year, they were reportedly looking to sell their gaming division for $4 billion (about £2.8 billion) to pay off some of their debt - a deal that Microsoft, Take-Two, EA and Activision Blizzard all expressed interest in. But a month later, it was reported that AT&T changed their minds, and were going to find that debt-money elsewhere.

It seems logical they'd hold onto Rocksteady and the WB Games studios but I really hope that if sold, NetherRealm doesn't end up with EA or Activision Blizzard.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The Kins posted:

Next Batch of Gamepassery

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 Remix (Console)
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (Console)
No PC. Boooo! Because of Epic's exclusivity bullshit I guess.

SUNKOS posted:

It seems logical they'd hold onto Rocksteady and the WB Games studios but I really hope that if sold, NetherRealm doesn't end up with EA or Activision Blizzard.
Man I hope they keep NetherRealm. It seems like the licensing for Injustice and MK characters would be way harder if they weren't under WB.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Mother fucker my trial expires today and I was gonna do this :mad:

e. Oh wait is this separate from the thing where you buy a bunch of gold and convert it?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Was Mechwarrior 5 any good? I have not played a Mechwarrior game since like... 1999

No :( it's a pretty bad game. Terrible voice acting and story, grindy poorly paced single player campaign, and boring missions.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

No :( it's a pretty bad game. Terrible voice acting and story, grindy poorly paced single player campaign, and boring missions.

Nooooooooo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

Nooooooooo

The worst is when you have a defend a outpost mission, and failure is determined by how much of the base is destroyed, but your mech can run over buildings, pipes, and small vehicles, and that contributes to its destruction. The bases are large, and enemies pop up into existence out of thin air, and start attacking the base on the opposite end of you, and you're having to defend it solo.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah its shovelware

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Fanatic posted:

While not being foolproof, I recommend checking the game's publisher before making purchases as some have set a precedent for their games to appear on Game Pass (easiest done on TrueAchievements).

Other than the obvious publishers like Microsoft, Bethesda, EA etc. there are ones like Devolver, Humble, Raw Fury, THQ Nordic, Focus Home Interactive and probably a bunch of others that have a higher chance of being GP fodder. ;)

Namco Bandai as well i’ve noticed.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SUNKOS posted:

I think Capcom was just in a weird phase at the time but also a cool one. They weren't really that fussed about their old IPs and focused on a lot of new ones instead, and games like Dead Rising were really successful which probably left them a little confused as to what to do when it came to following up RE4, especially after Gears of War launched to huge success and probably left them feeling lost with what to do with RE as a result.

Some cool stuff from that era however. I thought what happened with Lost Planet was a shame because the second game was really impressive with those huge enemies and everything going on, it was unfortunately just a bit too janky. At the same time it's great to see games like DMCV and MHW released as Capcom returns to their roots somewhat, just a bummer that MvC came back so poorly and the new Darkstalkers was canned.

Yeah DMC5 is legitimately the best action game since DMC3, I think they took back the action crown from Platinum with it. Also got into MH with World because they finally decided to make it accessible to people who haven't been playing it for 20 years and I REALLY liked World and Rise. Also really impressed by how their games run from a technical point of view; Rise should not be possible on the Switch but you never even feel it and games like DMC5 and RE2 looked amazing in 60 FPS even on last gen's hardware. The fighting games are a bit of a mess but it looks like with the recent Street Fighter DLC and new management they're on track to make a good sequel hopefully

SUNKOS posted:

According to Rock Paper Shotgun, Warner Bros. Games is looking at selling off studios again:

This is part of the reason HBO is going big into streaming right? Warner owns them and thinks they need to become the next streaming giant and sounds like they figured out games are hard

I said come in! posted:

:( Oh well

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

, I think they took back the action crown from Platinum with it.

Check out Astral chain if you haven't yet, platinum took it right back with an actual evolution of the genre.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

Check out Astral chain if you haven't yet, platinum took it right back with an actual evolution of the genre.

I actually have it and never finished it! Thanks for the reminder though I was really enjoying it

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

No PC. Boooo! Because of Epic's exclusivity bullshit I guess.

Those are in the "about to leave" section anyway, so no worries. Not upcoming.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

SUNKOS posted:

There's a bit of misinterpretation from some bad phrasing in that story I think. Right now they aren't looking at selling off the studios to anyone else, at least some of the studios look like they are getting spun off together with Warner Media into the combined company with Discovery, some of them will be staying at AT&T.

Question is at that point having spun off almost all of their other media assets why AT&T would want to be in the games business at all, and then you start to wonder if they think they can sell off those studios separately, but as of now there is no stated plan to be doing that.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The only good resident evil games are 1 and 2, and this fact will save you a lot of time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Blue Raider posted:

The only good resident evil games are 1 and 2, and this fact will save you a lot of time.

It will... by scrolling past all your future posts!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It will... by scrolling past all your future posts!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you would genuinely need to have some sort of devolved fish-brain to think Resi4 is bad

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Honestly if we’re talking mainline games, with the remakes Resident Evil 1 is mid-tier.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Blue Raider posted:

:hai:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Resident Evil 1 Remake
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 7
Resident Evil Village

Play all of these, and you will be happy.

If you liked those and want to play more, Resident Evil 0, and Resident Evil 3 are good next choices.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

joylessdivision posted:

RE2 remake rocks so loving hard. I've played both campaigns at least twice because it's so good. I've played chunk of 7 and now the first chunk of 8 and I gotta say my main complaints about 7 were fixed in 8, mostly that movement feels like running in mud and combat is awkward as hell.

Basically if 7 isn't grabbing you, play 2. RE3 remake is fine but it's not nearly as packed with content as 2

I said come in! posted:

Resident Evil 1 Remake
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 7
Resident Evil Village

Play all of these, and you will be happy.

If you liked those and want to play more, Resident Evil 0, and Resident Evil 3 are good next choices.

Think I'll stick with 7 and then do 2 and 3. I've got so many horror games to get through. Evil Within, Outlast, Observer, Prey...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Prey isn’t really a horror

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Think I'll stick with 7 and then do 2 and 3. I've got so many horror games to get through. Evil Within, Outlast, Observer, Prey...

Skip Outlast, it's not very good and once you figure out the timing on the jump scares (because they're all on the same rhythm) it kills that aspect and leaves you with "Running away from lovely enemies you can't fight"

Observer looks dope as hell and I need to start that one sooner or later.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Observer isn’t really a horror game either. It’s just intense.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Survival Hauer

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Pretty good posted:

Survival Hauer

Nice

Soma is another one on my list.

Game Pass has ruined me. It has lots of the games I already own. My subscription ends tomorrow and going back to swapping discs like a caveman is going to suck.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Prey isn’t really a horror

Honestly it scares the poo poo out of me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Prey was so amazing regardless of the genre it was. I loved that game a lot. The Callisto Protocol is the next horror game I am looking forward to, that looks like it could be one of the best sci-fi horror games ever. Also whenever System Shock 3 comes out.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Prey is an immersive sim that leans hard into a ton of horror elements. I dunno if I'd call it a horror game, necessarily, but horror is a huge part of its identity.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Pretty good posted:

Survival Hauer

I mean it's a cyberpunk setting with Hauer, how can you pass that up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Prey is a horror game for your enemies as you turn the tables and hunt them for delicious goo.