Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

OgNar posted:

You simply need to pin a recipe to your hud

Get the gently caress outta here :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Oh god, I googled a video for this and additionally learned that you can apparently build double-wide alien containments in large rooms.
Goddamn, I wish I'd picked up on this sooner.

My next playthrough is essentially just going to be 70% homebuilding

Something I also never thought of is that you can breed sea monkeys and then just release them outside your base since they don't despawn unless killed.
Someone should try this in combination with the HUD-recipe trick for resource-gathering.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh god, I googled a video for this and additionally learned that you can apparently build double-wide alien containments in large rooms.

You can also build layers off center from each other, so the back end of the top aquarium connects to the front end of the bottom aquarium.
Hmmm, I never tried building 1/2/1 before.
3 layers and 4 Aquariums but all connected.

I'm so glad they finally gave them a top on launch, not sure if I like that glossiness though.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Edit: Never mind.

Oasx fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 19, 2021

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I think we really need to see how Natural Selection and Subnautica come together to really make the moral call. Yes, I get that a lot of the characters in the game have expressed their distrust of Alterra, but the writers never actually seem to bring that distrust to some sort of satisfying explanation. What is the actual in game of evidence of what they did that is comically evil? I don't recall any datapads of what you're mentioning they're increasing lethality and infection so I'll definitely revisit some datapads, cause that would probably count.

Like if Subnautica is the prequel to NS, is it the result of Alterra getting a copy of Khara somewhere else and having those experiments go awry. Or is Khara mutating architects and other species into a Tyrannid style threat with Alterra holding them back, hampered by losing their only pure sample of the disease. Could see it going either way.

Not sure why there's any question if Alterra is evil

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

in below zero I found the nuclear reactor but not the radiation suit or nuclear waste disposal bin. were those removed in below zero and are they not necessary to use the nuclear reactor? I never used nuclear in subnautica so I don't know how it works.

At least in this game, you don't have to worry about that at all, you'll realistically never run into a situation where you need to worry about nuclear waste disposal. Unless I guess if you use a whole bunch of spotlights or something.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

Real world corporations have done such a good propaganda campaign to promote pro-capitalist ideology and to obscure the nature of power relationships between workers and the corp that people have an astoundingly hard time conceptualizing "corporations are evil". Only if they directly state "We want to do a genocide because of profit" or something as subtle as a ton of bricks to the head.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

OgNar posted:

Holy crap

Duzzy Funlop posted:

My next playthrough is essentially just going to be 70% homebuilding

Something I also never thought of is that you can breed sea monkeys and then just release them outside your base since they don't despawn unless killed.
Someone should try this in combination with the HUD-recipe trick for resource-gathering.

Holy crap!

I was already planning to build a showroom for all my beds, I wish I had known about this.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Wrr posted:

Real world corporations have done such a good propaganda campaign to promote pro-capitalist ideology and to obscure the nature of power relationships between workers and the corp that people have an astoundingly hard time conceptualizing "corporations are evil". Only if they directly state "We want to do a genocide because of profit" or something as subtle as a ton of bricks to the head.

They literally do say it directly though! That log specifically says Alterra wants to make a bioweapon from it!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Skyl3lazer posted:

They literally do say it directly though! That log specifically says Alterra wants to make a bioweapon from it!

Yes but how do we know they want to use the genocidal bioweapon for evil?! There's just no way to be sure.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
There's nothing morally wrong with producing bioweapons any more than making a sharpened stick is evil.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Yes but how do we know they want to use the genocidal bioweapon for evil?! There's just no way to be sure.

Exactly what I was going to say. They could be nice bioweapons!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bedshaped posted:

There's nothing morally wrong with producing bioweapons any more than making a sharpened stick is evil.

Honestly considering some past reactions in the fanbase that wanting a wooden spear means you want to turn Subnautica into call of duty, in a game where we have toxic biogas torpedoes and could home raise crash fish as living kamikaze ammo? Giving exploiting alien biology for bioweapons a pass while scrutinizing the lesser evils seems to be on brand.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Sea Monkeys are the best. Their little clap when you take something from them is the best. The look of rejection when you don't is the worst.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
FWIW, Alterra seem more like Aperture Science than Weyland-Yutani. The bioweapons thing is a less big deal than "hey, let's play around with the thing that was even too dangerous for the Mad Science Aliens and see what happens". Standard operating protocol for Alterra seems to end up strewing the landscape with exploded or broken down gear, so if they did experiment with khara, it's almost inevitable that it would get released even if they were wholly altruistic.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 19, 2021

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Fangz posted:

Unless I guess if you use a whole bunch of spotlights or something.

They removed spotlights for some reason, which has upset me immensely. They were an absolute bitch to place properly but I loved them.

Also yeah, I can't use the big room alien containment, even though you can do neat poo poo with it (like two tanks on lower floor, one on top, all connected) because it's just so facking glossy it hurts my eyes and looks like poo poo and will prolly be such forever. Reminds me of the T section roof windows STILL having texture bugs as well as the windows put on scanner rooms being weirdly cloudy.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Dyz posted:

Sea Monkeys are the best. Their little clap when you take something from them is the best. The look of rejection when you don't is the worst.

What kinda monster doesn't take their item? I'll drop something if my inventory is full.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Fangz posted:

FWIW, Alterra seem more like Aperture Science than Weyland-Yutani. The bioweapons thing is a less big deal than "hey, let's play around with the thing that was even too dangerous for the Mad Science Aliens and see what happens". Standard operating protocol for Alterra seems to end up strewing the landscape with exploded or broken down gear, so if they did experiment with khara, it's almost inevitable that it would get released even if they were wholly altruistic.

Yeah, that game doesn't have much interest in delving fully into the implications of its own writings and thats fine. Its far more cartoony and light-hearted than Alien or whatever, but it is undeniable that Alterra is an evil company. Although, I suppose in keeping with the more cartoony tone they should just be called "The Bad Guys".

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

when I got back home after finding the nuclear reactor recipe, my game started hitching several times a minute where it hangs entirely for half a second, along with some other frame rate drops below 60. I have no idea why this started now. below zero was running great before this.

This might sound silly, but do you have a mouse with adjustable sample rate? If I set my mouse to a high sample for smoothness in Destiny, when I try to play certain games (Minecraft, WoW, and Subnautica for starters) it starts hitching unless I reduce it. I think it has to do with sending such a high poll rate and the game logjams trying to interpolate that many signals. Things immediately go back to normal if I switch to a profile with a much smaller (like 125Hz or 250Hz) rate.

OgNar posted:

loving amazing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dyz posted:

I always take what they offer even if I don’t need it. Thank you sir

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They immediately decided to start loving around with a galaxy-ending bacteria with a skeleton crew of people, and as far as I can tell their only concession to safety was to have one dude as a security person. Misrepresenting or not understanding risk is one of the fundamental elements of immoral business. It doesn't matter what their motive was, They're assuming incredible risk on behalf of billions of people without their consent.

Purdue intentionally misrepresented the risks of a single product and the end result is the opioid epidemic irreparably damaging huge swaths of multiple countries. Imagine what the blowback would be right now if it came out a major international business had purchased smallpox samples and was working on them in an unsecured lab setting.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Skyl3lazer posted:

Literally every single character that isn’t Alterra thinks Alterra is the loving worst.

Guess it’s up in the air if stopping their experimentation on a bacterium that’s killed hundreds of billions in order to make bio-weapons for a profit is morally justified.

:thunk:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Pretty much every corporation in that universe ascribes to the "evil corrupt megacorp" trope. Especially considering that these corporations are pretty much just nation states. Just read the description of the TSF Marines from NS2:

https://wiki.naturalselection2.com/view/Marines

(Also pretty strong evidence for "this happened before or just before Natural Selection", not that a PvP game had had super deep lore past explaining why youre fighting aliens in a cafeteria)

Dyz fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 19, 2021

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
With how prevalent metal scrap is, kinda with the limestone deposits was more slanted towards copper, which seems to be the main resource right now my need is constantly outstripping my supply for.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's funny by having the large room they've completely shifted my need for resources. I always kind of want to have an aesthetically pleasing layout that includes basically everything you can have. If you don't care about appearances you can basically do that with one large room and a moon pool right now. I used to go through hundreds upon hundreds of titanium bits.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I didn’t know the large room existed and found it after I already set up my multipurpose rooms full of lockers and most of the rest of the base so alas, they are not happening

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Despite more or less having everything I need to keep pushing forward and discovering new stuff, I am working on building a few scanner-bases at key resource-rich locations to make finding certain things easier to find, like magnetite.

Quartz has been something I've always been low on, cause I like to build windows and aquariums and whatnot, but now that I got the drill arm and located a few quartz deposits things should go more quickly.

Base building, though mostly needless, is fun.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You only need... 11 magnetite all game. At most.

Diamonds, on the other hand, much more variable. 30+ depending on how much base building you like.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 19, 2021

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Zesty posted:

Diamonds, on the other hand, much more variable. 30+ depending on how much base building you like.

Look at this scrub who doesn't make half a dozen bases with scanner rooms with 500m range

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I have like one base so far on the west edge of the starting shallows bordering the kelp forest. The seamoth is quick enough running around that I'm not even sure if I'll really need more bases at the higher depths? Maybe a couple small ones as pitstops for battery chargers. Found a cave leading down into some jellyfish looking stuff but it extends way too far down past my seamoth's crush depth.

edit: yeah ok just got the plans for the multipurpose room so maybe it is time to consider new bases. trying to fit everything in corridor rooms was a pain

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 19, 2021

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

ymgve posted:

Look at this scrub who doesn't make half a dozen bases with scanner rooms with 500m range

That sounds like a lot of work when you could just deconstruct and move the scanner to where you need it, just include materials for a temporary room and some power.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ymgve posted:

You can just move the range upgrades. It takes no effort and you don't need multiple scanners running simultaneously in either game.

Oasx posted:

That sounds like a lot of work when you could just deconstruct and move the scanner to where you need it, just include materials for a temporary room and some power.

Exactly what I did to get the fragments around the deep Lilypads. Otherwise materials were easy enough to find without a scanner. I used it maybe once to get gold and silver early on and twice to get a bunch of copper when I ran out. All in the shallows where my base was.

Extra bases were so unnecessary. I had the Seatruck with just the prawn dock and that worked great for extra storage and the occasional boulder to mine. But I could have gotten away with just a storage container if I had finished the blueprint a little earlier.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 19, 2021

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Zesty posted:

You can just move the range upgrades. It takes no effort and you don't need multiple scanners running simultaneously in either game.

Exactly what I did to get the fragments around the deep Lilypads. Otherwise materials were easy enough to find without a scanner. I used it maybe once to get gold and silver early on and twice to get a bunch of copper when I ran out.

I like keeping track of all of the Reapers, thank you very much :colbert:

Scanning for them in the dunes of the first game and seeing 3-4 blips pop up is always a good time :getin:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Repears are pretty scary in the first game.

BelowZero gave me the zapper for free so they were completely harmless this game. :(

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So far (still on the original) I've only ever seen Reapers from a distance. I'm not looking forward to when I have to approach them.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Zesty posted:

Repears are pretty scary in the first game.

BelowZero gave me the zapper for free so they were completely harmless this game. :(

Yeah I used to be scared of things but zappy button being an instant get-out-of-mouth free card really kills the fear. Which is fine. I slipped past the world boundary and got the pda message and my heart rate shot up as I noped back to safety.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Love Stole the Day posted:

I just realized that it's 2021 and Sealab 2021 takes place in 2021 and this game is basically Sealab 2021. Are there any Easter eggs for that?

There's a crack in one of the cold areas that leads down to an area where you can find a destroyed robot body labelled "Adrienne Barbeaubot" next to a little human skeleton.

Sadly haven't seen any yet, but I have two beacons labelled Sealab 2021 if that helps

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I am so, so glad that you can obliterate these obnoxious loud-rear end creatures in a single truck bonk. they were really wearing on my sanity and the area around my house is now a lot quieter.

these squid-faced guys do take a lot more than one bonk to go down, except with the afterburner you can keep up with them as they run away and clip into them for nonstop bonks until they drop a second later. Beep beep motherfucker :getin:

Ah, no wonder some of y'all have a hard time registering Alterra is evil! I wrote the devs an feedback update about some kind of upgrade for the seatruck that lets you harmlessly push away fish and sea monkeys and stuff from attacking you. This is their home, I'm an invader, they got full rights to kill and eat me as far as anyone should be concerned. I feel bad anytime I've heard the dead sea monkey noise, every dumbass dead fish I run over, and I'd no sooner run over sharky screamers providing sea music any more than I'd go mortaring birds in the yard. You monster!!

Zesty posted:

There's a shitload of resources on land too (assuming you have the "highlight interactable objects" cheat on)! I built my main base near some sea vents with hollow glaciers above and even though I think... outside of the fabricator modules I'll never find the last fragment for, I probably don't need any resources again until whatever endgame recipes crop up. Just spent two days making my sweet sea hotel, then afterwards went exploring on land a bit. Almost immediately I'm just dumping resources on the ground because my inventory and prawn are full. There were also lots of ore clusters with a little rainbow of minerals, basically everything to make Special Batteries in one spot. There were also huge caches of crafted materials, fibers, batteries, wiring kits, etc. All poo poo I ain't really need now, but a game route that spent more time on land earlier could probably save a bit of resource/crafting time. Then again it's way too-many batteries and also fiber is basically free anyway, but I think someone not into base building could probably get all the magnetite/diamond/gold/silver they ever needed on land alone

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 19, 2021

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The fish in this game are loving suicidal. The difference between avoiding the fish, ignoring the fish, and outright steering into the fish is maybe plus or minus two fish a minute donked.

I started out the original subnautica trying to avoid hitting critters but eventually you just become deadened to *donk donk donk donk donk donk donk donk donk donk donk donk*

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just started playing the original Subnautica and am i missing something or are ores and stuff supposed to be this much of a pain to gather?

I can barely find any limestone at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Kin posted:

I just started playing the original Subnautica and am i missing something or are ores and stuff supposed to be this much of a pain to gather?

I can barely find any limestone at all.

It shouldn't be that hard to find Limestone, it's fairly abundant across the safe shallows and the kelp forests. You generally won't find more than two or three next to each other, though, so you need to just swim around and keep your eye out, mostly around cliffs. There's a big coral tube you can swim through that has a lot of rocks to harvest though, if you can find that.

If it's titanium you're after, you can also gather up metal salvage and break that down into Titanium (not helpful if you need copper of course). Once you have a scanner room and the scanner HUD upgrade, you can see the location of things you're searching for through walls.