Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What's John Mulaney done, and who's Jay Johnson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Jay Johnston is the guy from the Story of Everest sketch from Mr Show and the voice of Jimmy Pesto on Bob's Burgers. He also was photographed participating in the January 6th capitol insurrection.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

What's John Mulaney done, and who's Jay Johnson?

He recently relapsed into alcoholism and cocaine use, finished rehab and filed for divorce with his wife soon after. Seems pretty lovely to lump him alongside TJ Miller--a known abuser-- and Jay Johnston--Qanon insurgent; unless there's something I haven't heard.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

yeah mulaney ain't on those other guys' level, i was more thinking about people who could lead to extremely awkward questions and conversations

also the specifics of the situation indicate that it's not like john mulaney walked out of rehab and spontaneously started dating olivia munn

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

He recently relapsed into alcoholism and cocaine use, finished rehab and filed for divorce with his wife soon after. Seems pretty lovely to lump him alongside TJ Miller--a known abuser-- and Jay Johnston--Qanon insurgent; unless there's something I haven't heard.

Apparently he's already dating Olivia Munn (sp?). I don't really know who that is but I suppose the implication was he already was while still being married. lovely yeah, but also not abuser or treasonous level of lovely. Unless there's something I haven't heard. I'm sure there must have been more problematic CCB guests.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

yeah mulaney ain't on those other guys' level, i was more thinking about people who could lead to extremely awkward questions and conversations

also the specifics of the situation indicate that it's not like john mulaney walked out of rehab and spontaneously started dating olivia munn

The Imp of Nipples posted:

Apparently he's already dating Olivia Munn (sp?). I don't really know who that is but I suppose the implication was he already was while still being married. lovely yeah, but also not abuser or treasonous level of lovely. Unless there's something I haven't heard. I'm sure there must have been more problematic CCB guests.

Hadn't heard about the Munn thing! That's wild.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Unless there's something I haven't heard. I'm sure there must have been more problematic CCB guests.
i was brainstorming for my funny little shitpost but i couldn't think of any immediately! maybe maron who used to get poo poo for dating very young fans, but that's come and gone.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

i was brainstorming for my funny little shitpost but i couldn't think of any immediately! maybe maron who used to get poo poo for dating very young fans, but that's come and gone.

Yeah, none come to mind immediately either. Still, they've had a long enough run that there must be someone. Besides Weird Al of course.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

comedy comedy bang

I think the roastmaster general Jeff Ross would be a great guest!!!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

Aziz Ansari came to mind.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Aziz Ansari came to mind.

I suppose. I'm just partially surprised that there isn't a guest who turned out to be so unforgivably bad that the episode doesn't even exist anymore. Not that that would be on CCB but they have a lot of 'stars' come through. Was Rob Lowe on?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Rob Lowe was on doughboys and there is a lot of cross.over between them and cbb guests. It hasn't happened yet, but fingers crossed

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I suppose. I'm just partially surprised that there isn't a guest who turned out to be so unforgivably bad that the episode doesn't even exist anymore. Not that that would be on CCB but they have a lot of 'stars' come through. Was Rob Lowe on?
it's a good thing that the thomas middleditch episodes are all completely wholesome and have no bits or characters that could be considered in any way problematic

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess there's chris hardwick and jimmy dore

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

it's a good thing that the thomas middleditch episodes are all completely wholesome and have no bits or characters that could be considered in any way problematic

I'm not up on all his eps so I couldn't argue. That said, I did go down a rabbit hole looking for 'problematic' guests and didn't see much beyond who was already mentioned. As far as _characters_ go, the list is long.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

middleditch had a character called "chinese guy" who now that i think about it was never ok

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
wait what did adomian do

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Riptor posted:

wait what did adomian do

His characters are all real weirdos.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

These all sound like great guests for a full season of Eye on Theatre with Don DiMello.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

His characters are all real weirdos.

buttery

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The only Adomian character off the top of my head that I didn't really like was his Dr. Bronner character, because he ended up making him a nazi, when in real life:

quote:

Bronner was born in Heilbronn, Germany, to the Heilbronner family of soap makers.[4] He emigrated to the United States in 1929, dropping "Heil" from his name because of its associations with Nazism.[5] He became a naturalized citizen of the United States in 1936.[5] As the family was Jewish, he pleaded with his parents to emigrate with him for fear of the then-ascendant Nazi Party, but they refused. His last contact with his parents was in the form of a censored postcard saying, "You were right. —Your loving father."[6] His parents were murdered in the Holocaust.

he probably didn't know that, to be fair, and I don't think he ever did the character more than once but when I listened to it I was like ah cmon dude

he also tended to get rapey sometimes (although for at least one of the incidents that I remember, it was mostly Scott's fault for making a gross offer) but I imagine he would know better than to do that in this day and age if he came back on the pod again

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

The only Adomian character off the top of my head that I didn't really like was his Dr. Bronner character, because he ended up making him a nazi, when in real life:

I immediately remember that episode for Tim and Eric just refusing to engage in any way with Adomian. I like T&E but that was a dick move for them, which is a shame too because I remember the opening part with just them talking with Scott about popcorn as being pretty funny.

I don't think Eric was ever on again but Tim at least generally engaged with the other guests the subsequent times he went on (save for the most recent when he just left after the opening segment).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

I immediately remember that episode for Tim and Eric just refusing to engage in any way with Adomian. I like T&E but that was a dick move for them, which is a shame too because I remember the opening part with just them talking with Scott about popcorn as being pretty funny.

I don't think Eric was ever on again but Tim at least generally engaged with the other guests the subsequent times he went on (save for the most recent when he just left after the opening segment).

There was the one he did with Neil Hamburger which I remember being really bad (which is a shame, because after binging On Cinema and Decker I know what kind of amazing stuff those two can do together). I forget exactly what happened in the episode, I remember it just being a lot of really combative negative energy that didn't work with the show's format at all (and an insistence to make a running gag out of the Burger King Kid's Club that fell flat right out of the gate and never got funnier)

Heidecker was at one of the live shows I went to, too, and I remember him just kind of refusing to engage with the games, which I guess was meant to be a bit but was also actually not fun. Fortunately the other guests picked up the slack and it was a great show. I think Adomian might have been there, actually, I know he played sherriff of nottingham at one of the live shows I went to, I don't remember if it was the one Tim was on.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Rob Lowe was on doughboys and there is a lot of cross.over between them and cbb guests. It hasn't happened yet, but fingers crossed

Rob Lowe was on Doughboys and it cost them $10,000

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

middleditch had a character called "chinese guy" who now that i think about it was never ok

At the time the joke was more “we all know I should not do this, it clearly makes everyone uncomfortable, but since we all know it’s hosed, it’s ok to laugh at the other comedians’ obvious distaste and Scott’s repeated attempts to end the bit!”

But
1: Well, that’s still being done on the back of a nationality that no one in the room belonged to
2: Oh, maybe inappropriately bullying people beyond their comfort zone is just Middleditch’s method all the time, and that’s messed up!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

martin starr was also constantly pimping him into doing more of it, especially towards the end. it really tickled him. i enjoyed it quite a bit at the time too!

but yeah, not the best. but again, i'm mostly just fooling around, the improv character done in poor taste is nowhere near as bad as the things middleditch has himself stated in interviews

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

Rob Lowe was on Doughboys and it cost them $10,000

In subscriptions? Did they talk about that somewhere?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still miss Ming.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I still miss Ming.

I know that Ming is problematic, but he was a hilarious character, and I regularly say "I am not a buster, I am not a fool," etc. (Without the voice, though.)

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Waterbed Wendy posted:

In subscriptions? Did they talk about that somewhere?

They donated it to women's shelters. I think they only mentioned it on social media. Rob Lowe has done some lovely things in his past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Lowe#Sex_tape

Edit:

https://twitter.com/doughboyspod/status/1307397648421277696

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

They donated it to women's shelters. I think they only mentioned it on social media. Rob Lowe has done some lovely things in his past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Lowe#Sex_tape

Edit:

https://twitter.com/doughboyspod/status/1307397648421277696

I knew about Lowe, and heard about some of the backlash from them having him on, but I did not hear about the donation. Good on them.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Really it's Big Dog I'll miss the most

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kdrudy posted:

Really it's Big Dog I'll miss the most

I'm glad I never bought a Big Dawg t-shirt. Though I kinda wanted one.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Guy From China and Ming would be a good team-up

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really hope the new Batman movie is used as an excuse to bring back Bobby Moynihan's Batman, complete with music. Even better if he's paired with Gil Ozeri's Bane. And best of all if they also bring in Kenny Stevenson to reprise the Joker from I4H.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Obv Middleditch is deservedly canceled but the china phone call was hilarious

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I was not aware Rob Lowe was a guest you'd have to apologize for

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Given that the poo poo he did was like 35 years ago and he's seemingly been a good dude since then I'd agree it seems a bit much. 10k to a womens shelter is a good thing though so whatever.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

I was not aware Rob Lowe was a guest you'd have to apologize for

To be fair the underage sex tape thingy was ancient news that's kinda been forgotten about. It's from the 80s(?). At the time it the fact that it was 'leaked' was more of the sin. It was treated as an embarrassing situation. That aside, I believe there was some other strikes against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Just Chamber posted:

Obv Middleditch is deservedly canceled but the china phone call was hilarious

anytime i see a particularly large dog i think "big boy" in that voice

EDIT: which, now that i realize that, is weird i think of that character and not Big Dawg