Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

We got told that BOH doesn't have to wear masks (and no one is, now). Meanwhile, FOH still is. Idk, it makes no sense to me, either.

In other news: while not as spooky as the mandolin, the tomato slicer is not to be hosed with. I barely brushed a knuckle against the blade, didn't even feel it, and boom, blood everywhere. Fear and respect the tomato slicer, folks.

Yeah those things are made of razors. Never cut myself on them myself but the only piece of equipment that is more dangerous than those fuckers is the Mandolin Slicer you mentioned (which I have cut myself on several times).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The Tomato King must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of new guys

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Talking about those push-through tomato slicers? Yeah, made of razors is right. I was cleaning one and gave myself several parallel, deep loving cuts. oddly though, I've never cut myself on a mandolin. And I used to slice tons of radishes with them. Maybe it's my tiny hands.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Me: Hey I just saw a rat.
Closing FoH: OMG I can't stand mice.
Me: Oh that wasn't a mouse that was a big fuckin' rat. :v:
Closing FoH: :gonk:

The kitchen and surrounding areas are all kept well-cleaned but this is an old building full of all kinds of holes. Last golf course I worked at had them as well but they kept to the pro shop basement where the golf carts were stored/charged.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Mandolins, chef knives, any object made to cut? Never had a problem. Edges of 1/3 pans ,1/2 pans? Blood and cuts every where.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

ughhhh posted:

Mandolins, chef knives, any object made to cut? Never had a problem. Edges of 1/3 pans ,1/2 pans? Blood and cuts every where.

Two of the worst cuts I've ever had were both weird poo poo. One was from ice - our ice scoop at that place was one of the kind that doesn't have the finger shield, and on that particular day whatever temperature magic happened and the ice was sharp and shredded my fingers and the back of my hand. The other was the same place, but before we even opened - I was spending a day unpacking, cleaning, and setting up equipment. I pulled the drawer out of an alto-shaam holder to take the plastic off and caught an edge, it cut two of my fingers drat near to the bone. loving awful.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

ughhhh posted:

I cut myself on a sourdough baguette the other day.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Raikiri posted:

:stare: I was just about to post how the other day I nicked a finger tip on a shrimp (frozen, the tail stabbed me just right), but that beats my dumb injury.

Edit: we also do our own dish, and I think we've all gotten a steel wool splinter at some point. Those suck, your hands are all wet and slippery, so good luck pulling it out.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 19, 2021

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Coconut based vegan ice cream freezes very, very hard. If you’re bearing down on the scoop too hard it can slip, resulting in slamming your knuckles into the track you did manage to scoop out, which is still very hard and now has edges.

That’s how I cut myself on ice cream.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I once got a splinter under my nail from caramelized chili sugar disks were experimenting on for desert. The intent was to set melted sugar/chili liquid into disks we would decorate cakes/desert with. Didn't know how hard it would be after the first round of sets and I tried to pick up one of them from the tray picking at a spike one of them had made. It burned and hurt like hell for a few days.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Raikiri posted:

I've done that. Unused baguette, went to wrap it, happened to run my thumb over that slightly crusty ridge and it drew blood over the plastic wrap while smoothing the wrap to seal.

Drew blood, disinfect, bandaid, the whole nine yards.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Rugikiki posted:

That’s how I cut myself on ice cream.

New thread title, please

edit: belay that order until we hear the explanation for this one VVV

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 19, 2021

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
My best "weird item cut" was definitely slicing my palm open on a banana

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

My sister accidentally stabbed my leg with a drinking straw once when we were kids, does that count?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

pile of brown posted:

My best "weird item cut" was definitely slicing my palm open on a banana
Definitely need an explanation of how the hell this happened ending with "That's how I cut myself with a banana" t i a

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

FFT posted:

Definitely need an explanation of how the hell this happened ending with "That's how I cut myself with a banana" t i a

are you guys telling me you've never heard of a banana sharpener

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

:stare: I was just about to post how the other day I nicked a finger tip on a shrimp (frozen, the tail stabbed me just right), but that beats my dumb injury.

Lol, I was slicing it on a bias and jammed my finger into the point. It wasn't much but I've literally not cut myself with a knife since I went back at the start of April.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I cant think of a funny way to describe it but someone had pulled a banana off the bunch and there was a strip of some of the vegetable matter at the top that dried out and somehow became razor sharp, and I expected to just be able to reach past it to grab the apples behind, and it looked like I had loving stigmata instead

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
One of the ladies at work is super gung ho on a getting an industrial meat slicer and I just think back to my first ever job at 14 as a dishwasher, and peacefully going about spraying dishes while the prep guy behind me cut off a sizable portion of his hand on one. He was apparently fine but never returned.

But, no, go ahead, get that meat slicer that you want to have to... reslice bread more easily. I'm sure it will be fine. She only wants it because we do ham a lot and even the boneless ham chunks we get on discount are too much to slice by hand.

At least get a cut-resistant glove.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I've cut myself more on the underside of stainless counters than everything else put together,

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

angerbeet posted:

One of the ladies at work is super gung ho on a getting an industrial meat slicer and I just think back to my first ever job at 14 as a dishwasher, and peacefully going about spraying dishes while the prep guy behind me cut off a sizable portion of his hand on one. He was apparently fine but never returned.

But, no, go ahead, get that meat slicer that you want to have to... reslice bread more easily. I'm sure it will be fine. She only wants it because we do ham a lot and even the boneless ham chunks we get on discount are too much to slice by hand.

At least get a cut-resistant glove.

Man, this topic's on a :psyduck: roll. She wants a meat slicer... to slice bread? I slice ribeye on ours, deli-thin, and those meat bits go everywhere. I'm picturing bread going thru and just showering the kitchen with breadcrumbs and torn hunks of bread.

So many mysteries today!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've injured myself more on the plastic ribbon poo poo than on anything we have in the actual kitchen.

This poo poo-

Not the tomato slicer, not the cucumber mandolin, not the horrible machine that eats onions and fingers, no its the stupid plastic that shreds me every time I help unpack poo poo.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

pile of brown posted:

I cant think of a funny way to describe it but someone had pulled a banana off the bunch and there was a strip of some of the vegetable matter at the top that dried out and somehow became razor sharp, and I expected to just be able to reach past it to grab the apples behind, and it looked like I had loving stigmata instead

The Restaurant Industry Thread: Banana-Induced Stigmata

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Man, this topic's on a :psyduck: roll. She wants a meat slicer... to slice bread? I slice ribeye on ours, deli-thin, and those meat bits go everywhere. I'm picturing bread going thru and just showering the kitchen with breadcrumbs and torn hunks of bread.

So many mysteries today!

I've used our deli slicer for bread before, freeze the bread then slice it super thin and bake to make croutons/crackers that are uniform. We use it for a bruschetta w/ cured anchovies, capers and pickled red onion.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FFT posted:

The Restaurant Industry Thread: Banana-Induced Stigmata

Way better than the sourdough baguette one, not that that wasn't great, but this, this is majesty.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Way better than the sourdough baguette one, not that that wasn't great, but this, this is majesty.

Hey, I'm back at work tomorrow. I'll try to cut myself on something dumber than a banana.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Raikiri posted:

Hey, I'm back at work tomorrow. I'll try to cut myself on something dumber than a banana.

If you can get a workman's comp check out of it, then absolutely do it, otherwise please don't injure yourself because of a thread on Something Awful.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Raikiri posted:

I've used our deli slicer for bread before, freeze the bread then slice it super thin and bake to make croutons/crackers that are uniform. We use it for a bruschetta w/ cured anchovies, capers and pickled red onion.

Ahhhhhh, I can see that if it's frozen and you're going for ultra thin. I was imagining a fresh loaf going all over the place, trying to make sandwich slices with it turned up to 15.

And now I want that bruschetta, dammit :argh:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I've injured myself more on the plastic ribbon poo poo than on anything we have in the actual kitchen.

This poo poo-

Not the tomato slicer, not the cucumber mandolin, not the horrible machine that eats onions and fingers, no its the stupid plastic that shreds me every time I help unpack poo poo.
I ripped a fingernail half-off with this horrible poo poo. I slid my hand under it to pick up a box and my ring finger caught it right at the edge and sliced under the nail like butter. It was brutally painful in a way that still makes my knees weak to think about.

I attempted to glue my fingernail back on with super glue. It was spectacular how much that failed to work.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

fizzymercury posted:

I ripped a fingernail half-off with this horrible poo poo. I slid my hand under it to pick up a box and my ring finger caught it right at the edge and sliced under the nail like butter. It was brutally painful in a way that still makes my knees weak to think about.

I attempted to glue my fingernail back on with super glue. It was spectacular how much that failed to work.

Oh man, this made me reflexively wince so hard.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I used to have to make almond dragees at a place I worked at.
Almonds coated in hard crack sugar and then coated in chocolate.
When you would put the almonds in the hot sugar mix and pour it out on the table to cool then break them apart into separate pieces the edges would be sharp as glass I started wearing those cheap cotton gloves under the doubled up latex ones after getting the gloves shredded one too many times.
Hands still felt like hell even with the extra protection.

Juicing lemons after that was always fun:suicide:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Raikiri posted:

Keeping with the theme, try to cut yourself on a tomato

No, not a tomato slicer

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Started my shift yesterday getting a cardboard cut underneath my left pinkie fingernail. :toot:

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

As a person with celiac disease, these stories about using the meat slicer to cut bread are giving me hives :negative:

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

number 1 snake fan posted:

As a person with celiac disease, these stories about using the meat slicer to cut bread are giving me hives :negative:

It gets thoroughly cleaned after... and we don't even have anything else on the menu that we use it for.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Crossposting from the Cursed thread.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
*pays $15 an hour plus unlimited free soda.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Hahaha I just noticed the fine print. Go gently caress yourself job creator

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Ahhhhhh, I can see that if it's frozen and you're going for ultra thin. I was imagining a fresh loaf going all over the place, trying to make sandwich slices with it turned up to 15.

And now I want that bruschetta, dammit :argh:

Oh my no, the bread is already sliced, but it's sliced too thick, so loading slice by slice into a meat slicer to halve the slice is the optimum use of technology!

The bread did get halved with a knife in the end.

But I can still feel the pent-up lust for a meat slicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Hahaha I just noticed the fine print. Go gently caress yourself job creator

that looks like a joke?