Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Virgil is a traitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

General Dog posted:

Not many planets have oil and refineries though

yeah but if you can do interstellar travel you either have some sort of synthetic replacement or you have some other (probably much better) energy source

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Virgil?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
You know it would’ve been easy for Virgil to continue showing up and drawing the paycheck despite his heart no longer being in it, and he probably should’ve done just that

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

AnEdgelord posted:

The only reason aliens would be interested in us is to study us for scientific reasons. All that requires is observation and occasional abductions, any more contact than that may effect our behavior too much for them to harvest useful sociological data.

Mineral wealth is largely meaningless to species that would have a virtually endless number of empty rocks to mine for resources, and all they would need is some genetic material to replicate of our agricultural crops which just requires a quick ride down to the midwest in the middle of the night to get some plant clippings.

My favorite theory about why aliens would visit us is to watch the lunar eclipse.

If aliens are statistically common enough that another intelligent species could reach our planet, then intelligent life isn’t particularly rare or interesting. Maybe humans have some kind of outlier characteristic (which is a fun brand of Sci-fi where we’re not the middle of the pack Everyman surrounded by superhuman or super weird aliens) that would make them want to study us.

But it’s rare for a planet to have a very large moon like ours that is also almost exactly the same diameter in the sky as the local star. So our total eclipses I think are very rare.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Virgil is a traitor

Like Brendan, but Blowback is better than Bad Faith.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Good decision, a horrible burden lifted from the podcast.

Bad Faith is utter garbage

Halloween Liker fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 20, 2021

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I enjoy the Virgil/Brianna chemistry but most of the time Virgil doesn't even speak during the interviews lol.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

it's not official to me until they take his @ out of their twitter bio

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Everyone should continue to email Virgil about issues with the podcast though

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Fabricated posted:

Everyone should continue to email Virgil about issues with the podcast though

he will never be free.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

What was the last Chapo thing Virgil was even part of? I can't remember the last time he was on the show. Amber too, but I guess she's writing her book.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Republicans posted:

What was the last Chapo thing Virgil was even part of? I can't remember the last time he was on the show. Amber too, but I guess she's writing her book.

he did that Zizek interview in December... has he been on since? I remember him saying like 5 words on that one too

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I remember Matt being irate about him on his streams after he ghosted when Bernie lost the primary, but that could have simply been due to being constantly asked "Where's Virgil?" It's a shame because he was a very good and active part of the crew before that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It must be incredible to have the luxury to just walk away from the easiest job in the world. You just collect the fattest paycheck of basically anyone you know outside of finance for what could not possibly have been more than 4-5 hours a week of work, and you just incidentally become popular and famous and get to meet all these awesome people.

I wish him well, I miss Amber more anyways. Having her name on the end of that letter rings extremely hollow to me for some reason.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le7Fqbsrrm8

There's this video from last year about the navy pilot footage that explains the pilots are just dumb guys staring through the flir cameras. The footage is either; a plane too far away to get range so they tell the pilot no one is in front of him, gimbal camera refracting the light of a inverse infrared view of a jet's plume, or balloons getting different wind speed/direction at different altitude than the jet.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I miss Virgil, I heard him back on an old Talking Simpsons and the man used to talk! Sometimes in complete sentences!

It's a shame he decided to split but you can kind of see why, Virgil wants to try and change the world through podcasts and The Dry Boys want to talk about what films are secretly about having sex with your dad the President.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Gonzo McFee posted:

Virgil wants to try and change the world through podcasts and The Dry Boys want to talk about what films are secretly about having sex with your dad the President.

Make world changing podcasts with one hand and talk about loving your dad on the other and see which one affects the next election

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Virgil dunking on people on Twitter for months about Bernie winning the primaries and then cowardly fleeing social media for months after he lost it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Previa_fun posted:

I enjoy the Virgil/Brianna chemistry but most of the time Virgil doesn't even speak during the interviews lol.

This is my take. I like Bad Faith, it’s got interesting guests a lot of the time. But yeah, Virgil is mostly silent and it just stands in stark contrast to how loving funny he was on Chapo. Like, I can’t remember what it was but he had a single line in the episode about Alex Morse and it was the hardest I’d laughed that ep.

So it goes, and it’s not like it truly affects me, but I really enjoyed having the 5 hosts and the rotations/combinations they would have.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Semper games Virgil

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gonna miss beltway garage, but also,

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Virgil dunking on people on Twitter for months about Bernie winning the primaries and then cowardly fleeing social media for months after he lost it.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Getting owned so badly online you leave a job where you make 15k a month for saying like 10 sentences a week on a podcast.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

there's a part of me that is annoyed at him for walking away from such easy money. it's like, what kind of cossetted, impossibly comfortable son of a bitch leaves such a cushy gig behind. the wastefulness of it!

then there's a part of me that wonders, maybe he isn't cossetted and comfortable, and maybe it is an act of some kind of artistic integrity, or whatever analog of that a podcaster would have. and I could almost respect that

but then I remember that bad faith does not appeal to me and go back to being annoyed. he didn't do that much on chapo but I liked his contributions

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

also I have little respect for how virgil is fragile liberal. that is also part of the equation of my annoyance

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Boywhiz88 posted:

This is my take. I like Bad Faith, it’s got interesting guests a lot of the time. But yeah, Virgil is mostly silent and it just stands in stark contrast to how loving funny he was on Chapo. Like, I can’t remember what it was but he had a single line in the episode about Alex Morse and it was the hardest I’d laughed that ep.

we spent 10 months on this mission to make this guy cum

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Virgil is very funny and he and Felix were good subs for each other. I'm glad Felix is showing up to nearly every episode lately to fill the niche.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gonzo McFee posted:

I miss Virgil, I heard him back on an old Talking Simpsons and the man used to talk! Sometimes in complete sentences!

Virgil and Matt were a superb team guesting on "Talking Simpsons". They were excited about it, and they knew their stuff.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Jabronie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le7Fqbsrrm8

There's this video from last year about the navy pilot footage that explains the pilots are just dumb guys staring through the flir cameras. The footage is either; a plane too far away to get range so they tell the pilot no one is in front of him, gimbal camera refracting the light of a inverse infrared view of a jet's plume, or balloons getting different wind speed/direction at different altitude than the jet.

Seems incredibly unlikely even without watching the video. You might be able to hand wave away civilian sightings with poo poo like that but navy pilots are a slightly different matter. Especially when they are telling their story on national television with pentagon backing. Whatever is happening it is not mere optical illusion. Doesn't mean they're actual aliens though and if you want a much more compelling explanation then I give you this:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/40054/adversary-drones-are-spying-on-the-u-s-and-the-pentagon-acts-like-theyre-ufos

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It is a little unfortunate that one of my strongest memories of Virgil is the whole Love Shack thing. It's not even that crazy, it just stuck with me.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

der funkybeats

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

Seems incredibly unlikely even without watching the video. You might be able to hand wave away civilian sightings with poo poo like that but navy pilots are a slightly different matter. Especially when they are telling their story on national television with pentagon backing. Whatever is happening it is not mere optical illusion. Doesn't mean they're actual aliens though and if you want a much more compelling explanation then I give you this:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/40054/adversary-drones-are-spying-on-the-u-s-and-the-pentagon-acts-like-theyre-ufos

There's a number of issues with the "it's optical illusions" explanations, but they are important to illustrate that a lot of these claims of "we saw X thing with absolute certainty" aren't really all that certain.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

General Dog posted:

You know it would’ve been easy for Virgil to continue showing up and drawing the paycheck despite his heart no longer being in it, and he probably should’ve done just that

Mr. Lobe posted:

there's a part of me that is annoyed at him for walking away from such easy money. it's like, what kind of cossetted, impossibly comfortable son of a bitch leaves such a cushy gig behind. the wastefulness of it!

then there's a part of me that wonders, maybe he isn't cossetted and comfortable, and maybe it is an act of some kind of artistic integrity, or whatever analog of that a podcaster would have. and I could almost respect that

but then I remember that bad faith does not appeal to me and go back to being annoyed. he didn't do that much on chapo but I liked his contributions

Yeah my reaction when I got the email was man that is some superhuman level of lazy not to keep pulling in 5 figures a month for a couple hours of work per week.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I hope he comes back as a guest occasionally for the beltway garage but it sounds unlikely. Probably no more tabletop gaming episodes either which is a shame.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah my reaction when I got the email was man that is some superhuman level of lazy not to keep pulling in 5 figures a month for a couple hours of work per week.
He’s a true Goon

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i say swears online posted:

gonna miss beltway garage

no more Call of Cthulhu episodes is the even bigger loss

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Virgil can be funny and Brianne is a nice enough person but Bad Faith is pretty not good.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

AnEdgelord posted:

Seems incredibly unlikely even without watching the video. You might be able to hand wave away civilian sightings with poo poo like that but navy pilots are a slightly different matter. Especially when they are telling their story on national television with pentagon backing.

yeah thats actually worse, it just means they are lying

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's swamp gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
This is total outsider speculation but I always got a vibe from Virgil that he is the sort of person who likes to run their own show, and he wasn't as comfortable being in an ensemble situation. Sometimes the conversation would start in (or travel to) a place he wasn't interested in, it seemed to me. Not that Briahna isn't an equal partner but he presumably has a lot more say in where Bad Faith goes than where Chapo did.