Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's one rad pop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Your Grandpa seems like he was an awesome dude, and also that is a GREAT slate of movies. Happy Birthday to Me is a favorite mine and that story about it is very sweet.

Thanks for sharing this.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Is Ghost Ship, the Julianna Margulies movie with the great opening, in any way related to Death Ship? Or did they just rip off the poster for it?

edit: I should actually post it, this being the movie posters thread.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 18, 2021

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Just the poster. But to be fair, you could give that assignment to like 50 designers and they'd probably all come back with that image.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think I remember Ghost Ship, if it's the movie I'm thinking of it's not bad schlock and my family watched it a lot; it opens with a ship ballroom dance, then everyone in the room gets bisected by a piano wire, and decades later a ship repair crew find the boat and get spooped.

They find gold bars, and also they eat rice that turns out to be maggots, and theres a sexy ghost that tricks a dude into falling to his death.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Neurolimal posted:

I think I remember Ghost Ship, if it's the movie I'm thinking of it's not bad schlock and my family watched it a lot; it opens with a ship ballroom dance, then everyone in the room gets bisected by a piano wire, and decades later a ship repair crew find the boat and get spooped.

They find gold bars, and also they eat rice that turns out to be maggots, and theres a sexy ghost that tricks a dude into falling to his death.

yeah it kicks rear end

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
Thanks a ton everyone. I knew I'd someday make that post, but it was still tough.

To my knowledge, Death Ship is unrelated to Ghost Ship (though even the tagline wishes it was!).

I'm glad so many of you love Happy Birthday To Me, that's certainly my pick up the bunch (2nd place goes to Heavy Metal). That serial chloroforming montage is one of my favourite movie moments.
While my grandpa was very proud of Meatballs' success, HBTM held a special place in his heart ("And with all her dead friends sitting around the table, she blows out the candle and sings happy birthday to me!" - that last bit delivered like it was a world-class punchline.)
Not sure if he ever actually watched it - he never mentioned the second, third and fourth twists (which were added during filming).

I actually haven't seen most of these films, but I own A Special Day on Criterion bluray so I know what I'm watching next.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Your grandpa was a cool dude, thanks for sharing his shine with us.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fastest pappy around

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

1.21 gigapops

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

When your pep-pep hits 88yrs old they've seen some serious poo poo.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You should all be absolutely ashamed of yourselves that I am the first person to post this.

RIP Charles Grodin.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Happy May 19th.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Great poster. Movie sucks rear end.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vince MechMahon posted:

Great poster. Movie sucks rear end.

No it's pretty good actually

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BonoMan posted:

No it's pretty good actually

That part where Colin Farrell blows a dudes head clean off at point blank range with a shotgun is great. The rest of the movie is 2 and a half hours of him and Foxx standing on boats looking at the ocean while nothing happens.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm beginning to think you haven't seen it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

I'm beginning to think you haven't seen it.

I saw it in theaters opening day with friends and had to apologise to the friends I talked into going with me because they were all very angry at the boring, bad movie I made them go to. I know rotten tomatoes isn't the end all be all, but it's sitting at 46/43 there, so I'm not in the minority about this either.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean has Jamie Fox ever been in a good movie.

Ray was okay I guess

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ray was okay I guess

Django Unchained and Collateral, unless we're splitting hairs on what's considered "good" vs "not to your tastes".

Either way, Jamie Foxx is never the worst part of any movie he's in, he's a good actor.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I forgot all about Unchained yeah

He seems to be more just bad at picking roles I guess

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

That part where Colin Farrell blows a dudes head clean off at point blank range with a shotgun is great. The rest of the movie is 2 and a half hours of him and Foxx standing on boats looking at the ocean while nothing happens.

John Hawks on the highway

The trailer park shootout

The 50 cal tearing through the car full of dudes

Every time Colin Farrell says the word “mojito”

That movie rules.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Miami Vice is a vibe movie. When Harmony Korine said it was a huge influence on Spring Breakers it made a lot of sense.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ray was okay I guess

White House Down is delightfully stupid

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That's some cast right there.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ray was okay I guess

Jarhead is great.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Gunpowder Milkshake

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm gonna be mad if they don't license a slow cover of Kellis' Milkshake

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

caligulamprey posted:

Miami Vice is a vibe movie.

Yes. If I had seen this opening night all hyped up back in 2000 whatever I would have been very disappointed. Watching it stoned a few weeks ago was excellent.

Probably all Michael Mann movies are best watched if you're high and all settled in on a weekday night.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

el oso posted:

Probably all Michael Mann movies are best watched if you're high and all settled in on a weekday night.

Even that wouldn't save Public Enemies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’d watch this version

https://twitter.com/mannfacts/status/1389760733907410950?s=21

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The MSJ posted:

That's some cast right there.

Thought that said "Gina Carano" instead of "Carla Gugino" for a second there.

wizardofloneliness posted:

Gunpowder Milkshake

Yes, that's what the title on the poster is. Good for you?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vince MechMahon posted:

The rest of the movie is 2 and a half hours of him and Foxx standing on boats looking at the ocean while nothing happens.

That was pretty every ep of Miami Vice in the 80s

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I thought it was a mirror!!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Vagabundo posted:

gently caress, me too.

Now we just need something like "Creampuff Katana" to fill out the Velvet Buzzsaw trilogy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Vagabundo posted:

well thats a relief :sweatdrop:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

This has happened to me evert time I've ever seen either of their names.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You're all confused about the names cause you're racist against Italians. Mama Mia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

You're all confused about the names cause you're racist against Italians. Mama Mia!

Truly the most discriminated gender