Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Motronic posted:

I've run into this multiple times. A lot of electricians have no idea how data cabling works and think you can just patch it on up like a POTS line (which they also do wrong, but it has more of a chance of passibly working for at least voice but probably not DSL).

It's something that honestly comes up enough that when I write a scope/statement of work, I will prohibit subbing cable pulling to primarily electrical contractors. I mean if they have a data cabling division fine, but if it's some guy like my brother...oh gently caress no. Usually the big issue they can't seem to crimp connectors for poo poo but sometimes they really pull some dumb poo poo. But the wirenut and tape was something else. Still better than the time the electrian decided that low voltage cable going through a firewall didn't need a firestop. That dude was lucky I caught that rather than someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Coily evolved in horrendous ways.
:wth:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://twitter.com/BLYLHphl/status/1394391182873083911?s=20

A Philly story about this particular developer (Spoiler: his buildings suck).

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate/housing/gagandeep-lakhmna-philadelphia-landlord-developer-greenpointe-construction-20210317.html

Unrelated (Well, probably):

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 18, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I've been on a few jobs in the aftermath of this, that's vermiculite insulation, which, besides being pretty asbestosy, is insanely absorbent, so you'll get a little leak in your roof, but you won't see any of the tell-tail water spotting on the ceiling, since the vermiculite just sucks up all that water, then when a few thousand pounds of water have been absorbed, it instantly and magically relocates all your ceiling drywall to the floor like that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Phanatic posted:

Unrelated (Well, probably):

So they took a hammer and beat out all the concrete, and then cut the rebar and bent it out of the way? There's loving something up, and then there's spending a lot of time to really gently caress it up.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Elviscat posted:

I've been on a few jobs in the aftermath of this, that's vermiculite insulation, which, besides being pretty asbestosy, is insanely absorbent, so you'll get a little leak in your roof, but you won't see any of the tell-tail water spotting on the ceiling, since the vermiculite just sucks up all that water, then when a few thousand pounds of water have been absorbed, it instantly and magically relocates all your ceiling drywall to the floor like that.

Though I don't think that it was water absorption, I've been present for this happening, when I was staying at my aunt and uncle's one summer. Just falling asleep around 1 AM (house was on a hill with a walkout basement, guest bedroom was on the basement floor, so I was under the kitchen/dining room) when I heard a noise that sounded like far off thunder that very quickly within 2 seconds or so became thunder 20 feet above my head, went on for about 5 seconds, then stopped. I slowly walked up the stairs into a very cloudy/dusty environment where something was CLEARLY wrong, but it took a few seconds for me to figure out that the ceiling was now on the floor.

Funniest part was, the master bedroom and my cousin's room were both on the main floor but neither one of them had woken up. I remember very clearly waking up my uncle, and telling him that the ceiling appeared to have fallen down, and his reaction of "what :psyduck: ", in this almost begging/pleading tone that surely I was just playing a practical joke on him and the ceiling had not actually fallen down.

In that case though it seemed like the catalyst was a heavy chandelier that had not been mounted properly (i.e. it was just mounted to a ceiling round box that didn't have the metal joists going out to the ceiling rafters), and once that came down the rest of the ceiling followed.

Also, that happened 20 years ago and this is the first time I've become aware that that stuff was asbestosy. So, thanks Elviscat, for letting me know I breathed in a bunch of asbestos 20 years ago. Thanks a LOT. :mad:

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 18, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That must have been some absolutely terribly hung drywall to rip the whole ceiling down because of one overweight light fixture.

On the Crappy Construction front:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Elviscat posted:

That must have been some absolutely terribly hung drywall to rip the whole ceiling down because of one overweight light fixture.

On the Crappy Construction front:

House was built by a wealthy but crazy Iranian in the early 80s (fled the country after 1979, so you draw your own conclusions, but house had an insane alarm system for the early 80s so the guy was clearly paranoid about being tracked down), and yeah, judging from the rest of the house I can believe it was generally crappy construction.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Thomamelas posted:

I was trying to troubleshoot some network cable put in by an electrician. He swore up and down he did it right. But put it on the fluke test and it failed completely. So I traced the wire and halfway through discovered where he had run out of CAT5E and spliced in another bit. Using wirenuts and electrical tape. That one hurt my soul.

Should have used wago connectors.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Should have used wago connectors.

On a lark, I googled to see if they make one. They don't. I did however find a discussion of this on a sparky forum. It hurt my soul.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

GreenNight posted:

Do you think it was genetics that made someone do this? Possibly in their genes?

Imagine the smell.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Detheros posted:

Imagine the smell.

The scent of Ric Flair.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's what Lemmy used the rest of his jeans for.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Beef Of Ages posted:

The scent of Ric Flair.

Every time you walk down those stairs you get a loud WOOOO.

gently caress I just convinced myself, sign me up

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Detheros posted:

Every time you walk down those stairs you get a loud WOOOO.

gently caress I just convinced myself, sign me up

Easy enough to do with some contact switches. Heck, now I'm thinking of actual useful ways you could use that kind of setup. Lighted treads, turn on the lights on the next floor based on direction of travel...

Absolutely more effort than it's worth, but the kind of thing I'd want in my atomic home of the future.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dareon posted:

Easy enough to do with some contact switches. Heck, now I'm thinking of actual useful ways you could use that kind of setup. Lighted treads, turn on the lights on the next floor based on direction of travel...

Absolutely more effort than it's worth, but the kind of thing I'd want in my atomic home of the future.

Realistically.. a raspberry pi /Arduino some motion sensors and addressable led strips

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Do you think it was genetics that made someone do this? Possibly in their genes?

Jaircase?
Jairway?
Jeps?

~Jescalier~

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So what IS the easiest/ best way to repair a severed cat5e cable without having to buy tools I’ll never use again?

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

The Dave posted:

So what IS the easiest/ best way to repair a severed cat5e cable without having to buy tools I’ll never use again?

If you don’t want to buy a tool the easiest and best way to repair it is to replace it. Otherwise you’ll need a punch down tool and an RJ45 crimper. Put a male end on one end of the cable, female end on the other and plug them into each other

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/19/china/china-shenzhen-skyscraper-intl-hnk/index.html

Building in China started swaying in good weather and no earthquake

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Check out the tilework in my new house! :cry:

As a homeowner who got convinced that we could tile our living room ourselves having
1. Never tiled before,
2. picking the largest and most prominent room in the house and
3. using 20x20in tiles,
I apologize to you and anyone who buys my house down the road.

We tried. We tried so hard.
(But in the end, it doesn't really maaaatttteeerrrrrrr)

topenga fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 19, 2021

Jows
May 8, 2002

That's wild. It had to have been the wind hitting some random vortex shedding harmonic, right? Or maybe the gradient up the tower lined up just right?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jows posted:

That's wild. It had to have been the wind hitting some random vortex shedding harmonic, right? Or maybe the gradient up the tower lined up just right?

Or it wasn’t swaying at all and it’s just panic.

I only keeping seeing the same shaky video against a backdrop of moving clouds

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Dave posted:

Personally I do not repair or modify anything stranded, I just replace it with another commercial patch cable. Damaged solid core runs get a punchdown coupler if I have one available or what Bumble Dong mentioned if not.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Bumble Dong posted:

If you don’t want to buy a tool the easiest and best way to repair it is to replace it. Otherwise you’ll need a punch down tool and an RJ45 crimper. Put a male end on one end of the cable, female end on the other and plug them into each other

You can crimp a male terminal without crimper using a flat blade screwdriver, but it isn't especially fun or easy and you're still probably better off just getting a new cable. 20 foot cat6 cables cost less than $5 from monoprice and they just get cheaper from there.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Crimping kits seem to be $20-$30 which might end up making sense. It's a pretty long run that goes into a ceiling run that I don't have access to so replacing it could be complicated.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Dave posted:

Crimping kits seem to be $20-$30 which might end up making sense. It's a pretty long run that goes into a ceiling run that I don't have access to so replacing it could be complicated.

If I've learned anything from the times where I've done that, it would be to tell you that you want to make sure you have enough slack to actually plug the two new ends into each other afterwards.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

kid sinister posted:

I've seen this on A-frames before, but not 1.5 stories...

They're multiplying

https://twitter.com/misterbrandon32/status/1395126235898986497

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’d live in roofhaus.

I almost bought a geodesic dome house on an acre in Southwest Ranches, but someone scooped it out from under me with a suitcase full of cash, and then flipped it.

:(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Would only be cool if it went down 4 levels.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

binge crotching posted:

If I've learned anything from the times where I've done that, it would be to tell you that you want to make sure you have enough slack to actually plug the two new ends into each other afterwards.

:hmmyes:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I always heard that most geodesic domes leaked over time, especially the early ones. Also, as with A-frames, hanging pictures can be challenging. Still, they are cool and weird.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I always heard that most geodesic domes leaked over time, especially the early ones. Also, as with A-frames, hanging pictures can be challenging. Still, they are cool and weird.

Ya, the price reflected some of the weirdass issues (insurance particularly can be difficult,) but it also had a detached four car garage with a shop and office/bathroom. I was really bummed.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MrYenko posted:

Ya, the price reflected some of the weirdass issues (insurance particularly can be difficult,) but it also had a detached four car garage with a shop and office/bathroom. I was really bummed.

Clearly you live in the garage and rent out the dome as an AirBnB.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Clearly you live in the garage and rent out the dome as an AirBnB.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Memento posted:

Here's a little diversion from eurovisionchat.

Caption was "Bought a house last year and wondered why this light never worked. Finally took it off to have a look at the wiring..."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Real mesothelioma posting hours on that one

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

cakesmith handyman posted:

So we're all agreed the golden standard is 400v 400hz right? *Dies clicking a light switch*

3-phase 120/208 400Hz, yeah. USB chargers fully integrated into a USB-A plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Safety minded lighting fixture installation ITT.