Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I always find that one a bit difficult to buy when corpses exist, which are a far more obvious and available thing to be unnerved by than neandertals.

Yeah this is what I always assumed was the primary motivator behind the uncanny valley effect. Like that feeling that you are looking at a human but also an inanimate object with no life in it, and the weird dissonance and sense that something is deeply wrong it causes, is shared pretty perfectly between corpses and androids. Last time I went to see a body I walked out pretty much immediately before being encouraged back in because it was just so obviously not the person, but the meaty object that they used to inhabit. Really unsettling to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Kangaroo meat to be main staple in the UK by 2025.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Jakabite posted:

Like that feeling that you are looking at a human but also an inanimate object with no life in it

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

General "Tories want the land to build houses on" shenanigans aside, isn't there a strategic geopolitical reason for a country maintaining their own food supply in case their trade partners either decide to cut us off or are unable to meet supply for one of a multitude of potential reasons?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not like tories have ever been historically terrible at geopolitics.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Real Cool Catfish posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ImIncorrigible/status/1394419207354429445

Finally, what I’ve been most looking forward to. Cheaper meat from countries with much shittier agricultural standards.

Oh also murdering U.K. farming whilst being completely aware that you’re doing so. Interesting to see whether MP’s vote with the party line or their constituents, since this benefits no-one’s constituents.

Yes, what I want is meat transported from the other side of the planet.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

blunt posted:

General "Tories want the land to build houses on" shenanigans aside, isn't there a strategic geopolitical reason for a country maintaining their own food supply in case their trade partners either decide to cut us off or are unable to meet supply for one of a multitude of potential reasons?

Yes, I mean look at what covid has done to all kinds of supply chains.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

blunt posted:

Sure, but how much do you want to spend per year on it?

At some point you have to work out the cost of being self-sufficient in all possible things and weigh it against the likelihood of everyone in the world deciding not to trade with us at once and realise you're burning money to hedge against something that's vastly unlikely

Gort fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 20, 2021

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Gort posted:

Sure, but how much do you want to spend per year on it?

$beef

I guess I'm just surprised there aren't parts of the civil service/military trying to block it, though I guess the government is the government so yolo.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

I get more of a "cow that has just realised it's about to be slaughtered" vibe from Keith

Unrestrained terror just beneath the surface suppressed by the fact he has no clue how to escape his situation

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I always find that one a bit difficult to buy when corpses exist, which are a far more obvious and available thing to be unnerved by than neandertals.
There's two uncanny valleys, for a static humanlike object, which a corpse would be a good example of, and for a moving humanlike object, which a corpse really shouldn't be.

It's possible that the moving one is around a negative response to certain diseases or types of poisoning to ward people away, but there's a suggestion that other close hominins would be somewhere within there, as opposed to say monkeys which are humanlike enough that we can be amused when they drink a cup of tea or something without negative reaction (except when they wipe their lovely arses in your house and throw things about, as they do).

blunt posted:

I think the last time that the UK has been properly food sufficient was sometime in the 1860s, but I've seen claims that as recently as 1984 the UK produced enough food in a year to feed the population of the UK for a year, but not of the foods mainly consumed in the UK.

There's enough arable land that we could be, but it'd mean a vegetarian cereal heavy diet for everyone (probably a good idea anyway, but gammons will hate it with the fire of a thousand The Suns).

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

blunt posted:

With the potential for climate change to affect what can be grown/farmed and where, maintaining our own food supply is *probably* a good idea. Instead of taking it behind the shed and putting it down. Can’t exactly rebuild it overnight if we suddenly realise we need it.

On the other hand the benefits of a trade deal like this are

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

blunt posted:

The going plan seems to be to make food ties with as many nations as possible so that no one bloc can go "oops, forgot the bread". It's not historically unusual for Britain to reach for America with one hand, Europe with the other, and try to plant its boot on its former Colonies at the same time. We now have limited influence in any of these spheres, though. An attempt to press into these spheres simultaneously risks falling in the space between them. In a position of strength, an open hand is a critical and potentially decisive thing in a negotiation. In a position of weakness, open hands are just begging.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Guavanaut posted:

It'd mean a vegetarian cereal heavy diet for everyone (probably a good idea anyway...

I hope not, I'd fart like a gazelle

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Alert the troops! I am now resistant!

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Against_the_Grain:_A_Deep_History_of_the_Earliest_States

Haven't read it but the thesis seems interesting

(that humans were essentially domesticated by their emperors and made to pay tribute in grain because unlike most other crops that were farmed at the time it keeps well)

I read this, it had a lot of cool and persuasive ideas, and interesting facts.

Unfortunately it apparently did not have an editor - felt like reading a second draft rather than a finished book. Very repetitive.

minema
May 31, 2011
There's a go slow driving protest in the town centre today for Palestine and all the gammons on Facebook are so mad about it

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
On the "Giants roaming the earth" thing - it's one of those weird things that seems to have cropped up at multiple points in human history, in completely unrelated societies and one interesting theory I've heard is that it's one of a couple of ways very early religious/philosophical thought can go - that societies/religions that have giants in their mythology tend to have basically humanoid gods, while pantheistic/animistic societies tend not to have giants in their mythology.

I suppose it's a natural progression once you achieve consciousness and start asking "Well how did that big loving mountain get there?" to think "Well I can move rocks around, so that mountain must have been put there by basically a really big version of me" and end up with a Big Beard (or Beards) In The Sky being responsible for the entire universe. Then they discover brewing and/or fun mushrooms and you start getting "Well I reckon that mountain happened when a giant ripped his cock off and threw it at another giant" turning up in the timeline.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

minema posted:

There's a go slow driving protest in the town centre today for Palestine and all the gammons on Facebook are so mad about it

Quite right. I wouldn't enjoy driving slowly through Palestine.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

With the potential for climate change to affect what can be grown/farmed and where, maintaining our own food supply is *probably* a good idea. Instead of taking it behind the shed and putting it down. Can’t exactly rebuild it overnight if we suddenly realise we need it.
That's something that's always worried me is moving all of the food production abroad means that if when we make ourselves enough of an international pariah that we get trade sanctioned, that's not just "oh no, no PS5," that's complete loving meltdown. Look how nuts everyone got when the toilet paper started to run out.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Trickjaw posted:

Quite right. I wouldn't enjoy driving slowly through Palestine.

You probably would tbh, it's really pretty.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Miftan posted:

*was :smith:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

He didn't specify Gaza. :colbert:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Miftan posted:

Its more the artillery rather than the ambiance.

e: In the normal course of events, I'd love it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

you're not going to sustain a national food industry on $48,879

e: now $3,735,928,559, that's more reasonable

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/michaelrosenyes/status/1395412805059231745?s=21

Of course

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

This probably a thick question, but what is a Gnasher? Beyond Dennis the Menace's dog.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

goddamnedtwisto posted:

On the "Giants roaming the earth" thing - it's one of those weird things that seems to have cropped up at multiple points in human history, in completely unrelated societies and one interesting theory I've heard is that it's one of a couple of ways very early religious/philosophical thought can go - that societies/religions that have giants in their mythology tend to have basically humanoid gods, while pantheistic/animistic societies tend not to have giants in their mythology.

I suppose it's a natural progression once you achieve consciousness and start asking "Well how did that big loving mountain get there?" to think "Well I can move rocks around, so that mountain must have been put there by basically a really big version of me" and end up with a Big Beard (or Beards) In The Sky being responsible for the entire universe. Then they discover brewing and/or fun mushrooms and you start getting "Well I reckon that mountain happened when a giant ripped his cock off and threw it at another giant" turning up in the timeline.

Of course there were giants, stupid, you can find their bones sometimes!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrie...roduction_2011)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's something that's always worried me is moving all of the food production abroad means that if when we make ourselves enough of an international pariah that we get trade sanctioned, that's not just "oh no, no PS5," that's complete loving meltdown. Look how nuts everyone got when the toilet paper started to run out.

Much like in the late bronze age, the modern world is held together by absurdly complex but highly fragile trade networks with little redundancy in place.

Now ask me how the bronze age ended

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I always wondered how books like the Protocols can get such a wide circulation even in the present day.

I read it a while back (on archive.org, so as to not give any money to anyone even tangentially involved in selling that kind of trash) to try and figure that out and I honestly wouldn't encourage anyone else to even bother. It is an antisemitic libel, it's also really really really stupid. From the initial premise of "a Jewish man left this on a train and it was originally in Hebrew (but no you can't see the original) but we bravely translated it and it's got a handful of Yiddish words in it so you can tell it's legit" to 90% of the protocols being poo poo like "we will give the vote to people who aren't wealthy male landowners, thereby destroying Christian Europe" to the writing style pitching about so suddenly that it was obviously plagiarized from several unrelated sources to literally claiming that "Jews invented all science and control all newspapers, so any critical skepticism or written counter-narrative to this poo poo is also Jews."

I can see why antisemitic Russian nobility would uncritically accept its contents, because their lifestyle depended on uncritically accepting the contents of poo poo like that, but who in the modern day reads about the seedy plot to separate serfs from their natural masters and thinks that's a bad thing? Fascists do, which explains that one, but who else would find it convincing?

Far more interesting are Segel & Levy's takedown A Lie and A Libel and comics legend Will Eisner's The Plot, and the forward to that by Umberto Eco is probably the neatest summary I could find:

Umberto Eco posted:

This patchwork of largely fictional works makes the Protocols an incoherent text that easily reveals its fabricated origins. It is hardly credible, if not in a roman feuilleton or in a grand opera, that the “bad guys” should express their evil plans in such a frank and unashamed manner, that they should declare, as the Elders of Zion do, that they have “boundless ambition, a ravenous greed, a merciless desire for revenge and an intended hatred.” If at first the Protocols was taken seriously, it is because it was presented as a shocking revelation, and by sources all in all trustworthy. But what seems incredible is how this fake arose from its own ashes each time someone proved that it was, beyond all doubt, a fake. This is when the “novel of the Protocols” truly starts to sound like fiction. Following the article that appeared in 1921 in the Times of London revealing that the Protocols was plagiarized, as well as every other time some authoritative source confirmed the spurious nature of the Protocols, there was someone else who published it again claiming its authenticity. And the story continues unabated on the Internet today. It is as if, after Copernicus, Galileo, and Kepler, one were to continue publishing textbooks claiming that the sun travels around the earth.

How can one explain resilience against all evidence, and the perverse appeal that this book continues to exercise? The answer can be found in the works of Nesta Webster, an antisemetic author who spent her life supporting this account of the Jewish plot. In her Secret Societies and Subversive Movements, she seems well informed and knows the whole story as Eisner narrates it here, but this is her conclusion:

"The only opinion I have committed myself is that, whether genuine or not, the Protocols represent the programme of a world revolution, and that in view of their prophetic nature and of their extraordinary resemblance to the protocols of certain secret societies of the past, they were either the work of some such society or of someone profoundly versed in the lore of secret society who was able to reproduce their ideas and phraseology."

Her reasoning is flawless: “since the Protocols say what I said in my story, they confirm it,” or: “the Protocols confirm the story that I derived from them, and are therefore authentic.” Better still: “the Protocols could be fake, but they say exactly what the Jews think, and must therefore be considered authentic.”

In other words, it is not the Protocols that produce antisemitism, it is people’s profound need to single out an Enemy that leads them to believe in the Protocols.

Now, if only I could figure out what possesses people to uncritically share an obvious photoshop like that :v:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Barry Foster posted:

Much like in the late bronze age, the modern world is held together by absurdly complex but highly fragile trade networks with little redundancy in place.

It's gonna rule when the Information Age collapses back into the late Industrial Age. Suddenly my ham radio hobby doesn't look so useless, does it? :smug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/ImIncorrigible/status/1394419207354429445

Finally, what I’ve been most looking forward to. Cheaper meat from countries with much shittier agricultural standards.

Oh also murdering U.K. farming whilst being completely aware that you’re doing so. Interesting to see whether MP’s vote with the party line or their constituents, since this benefits no-one’s constituents.

Interesting to see what? They're Tories, and post-purge Tories at that. They will vote with the party line over the livelihoods and even the lives of their constituents exactly 100% of the time. And they will not suffer for it, because they know Tory voters will vote for them 100% of the time even as they're being murdered.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suspect that the majority of the circulation is going to be actual nazis, and also conspiracy theorists, who generally are just hellbent on the idea that there is someone orchestrating everything that happens and so even if they don't have weird ideas about the need to restore the monarchy (not the lizard monarchy) then they at the very least are going to be nodding along and going yes YES it's all true I know it was a plot by the secret illuminati throughout ALL OF HISTORY etc etc. And that seems to entirely supercede any coherent political ideas? Like the really key thing is that their understanding of the shape of history is correct, their understanding of how the historical process works (it is not material forces it is all a big conspiracy) and from that validation they then get their politics (which is why their politics are bad because people who think it's all a big satanic conspiracy are also usually raging antisemites and theocrats and all sorts of insane poo poo)

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Far more interesting are Segel & Levy's takedown A Lie and A Libel and comics legend Will Eisner's The Plot, and the forward to that by Umberto Eco is probably the neatest summary I could find:

Umberto Eco posted:

Her reasoning is flawless: “since the Protocols say what I said in my story, they confirm it,” or: “the Protocols confirm the story that I derived from them, and are therefore authentic.” Better still: “the Protocols could be fake, but they say exactly what the Jews think, and must therefore be considered authentic.”

In other words, it is not the Protocols that produce antisemitism, it is people’s profound need to single out an Enemy that leads them to believe in the Protocols.

Now, if only I could figure out what possesses people to uncritically share an obvious photoshop like that :v:

This is just the early 20th century equivalent of "Well even if it didn't happen it's something they would do. Makes u think." response you get on facebook when it's pointed out that people are peddling falsehoods/lies/slander.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Perhaps Labour Against Antisemitism meant to name themselves Antisemites Against Labour and got confused.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Trickjaw posted:

This probably a thick question, but what is a Gnasher? Beyond Dennis the Menace's dog.

Gnashing your teeth means angrily grinding them/biting (so ofc makes sense as a name for an aggressive dog) . I imagine the twitter account is using the word to imply that they're up for a scrap and won't back down, essentially.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/LAnthonyFarley/status/1395338439978070016
Completely policy-less political party keeps on truckin'.

Nationalising rail, mail and water was one of Starmer's most concrete pledges to win the leadership, so I'm hoping the fact that he's ditched it is thrown in his face constantly.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Barry Foster posted:

I don't need to ask, they discovered iron and started using that and it was even better. Can't wait to see what cool future tech we invent to fix all our problems!

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

They were, and agriculture was a terrible idea, but the Greek idea of a Golden Age was probably more about all those ruins of much cooler buildings post collapse.

I thought those ideas - especially the more leisure time ones - had been kinda poo poo'd because the people making those observations just completely forgot about all sorts of things hunter gatherers had to do. Like collecting water, travelling to wherever they're gathering and the obvious missed by most dudes - taking care of children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

jabby posted:

Nationalising rail, mail and water was one of Starmer's most concrete pledges to win the leadership, so I'm hoping the fact that he's ditched it is thrown in his face constantly.

has he stuck to a single one of his pledges to win the leadership at this point